Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

How can anyone enjoy the works of Dan Brown?

drixsa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Simpletons need not answer. People that can count the number of books they have read with their fingers need not answer. People who enjoy the majority of New York Times best sellers (oh wait I already mentioned simpletons) need not respond.

I am already sure I will get flamed to hell for my negative comments toward Dan "the hack" Brown and his poorly written pages that somehow evolved into books.

For the record I have read The DaVinci Code and Angels & Demons. After reading these two works I demand two things: First, an answer as to how so many "so-called" human beings could enjoy Dan Browns literature and second, my completely wasted time.

I understand that the majority of America does not read much more than their work requires and the billboards that encompass their city (That is why I requested at the beginning of my post their needlessness to reply) but for those that consider themselves avid readers I lack the understanding to see what they are fond of in Brown's works.

His character writing is laughable. It bleeds through the pages that Robert Langdon, protagonist, is the man Brown would like to be. The women that follow in his stories are so two dimensional that one can forget at times that they are even in the story.

Because the characters are so weak the plots that are based off of them is even shallower and less believable.

Most proponent of the author always mention first that his books are based upon real places, statues, etc. This point clearly is not an answer for the question debating the quality of literature but is the response I most commonly receive.

So please, explain the greatness of Dan Brown to me?

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Through the decentralised deconstruction of the inconsequential idiosyncrasies through which we analyse the conceptual framework (Lieb, XIII), we are capable of comprehending the autonomous nature of the singularity disfigured lenses through which the aforementioned literature can be formed in our sagacity.

Take that, literature nerd!

Jay-X

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by diplomatic_lies
Through the decentralised deconstruction of the inconsequential idiosyncrasies through which we analyse the conceptual framework (Lieb, XIII), we are capable of comprehending the autonomous nature of the singularity disfigured lenses through which the aforementioned literature can be formed in our sagacity.

Take that, literature nerd!

:D :D :D :D

seriously, though. i like his books (have you read the last one? i'm reading it and it seems good stuff) mainly because of the several pieces of knowledge that he puts into them

WhitePimp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I dont think anyone's claiming him to be the greatest novelist/writer on the planet but his books are very interesting and fast paced and I enjoyed them for what they were. I've read books that were a lot better written but for a quickie read to kill time, I couldnt ask for something better than DaVinci Code

Phoenix_of_the_ashes

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The way people read has changed, people now consume books like anything else, easy to understand and easy to find due to heavy marketing.

Look what books people are reading, brown, Harry potter, Paolo Cohelio.

Really simple and hyped up stuff.

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jane Austen is a perfect example of "old books = hard to read". Many of what can be described in 1 sentence, instead fills up the entire page in formal Victorian ramblings.

Here is some of her crap (taken from Sense and Sensibility):

However small her general dependance on Lucy's veracity might be, it was impossible for her on serious reflection to suspect it in the present case, where no temptation could be answerable to the folly of of inventing a falsehood of such description.

C00L

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
dont be such an elitist prick. write a book thats better then talk some sh1t!

for the record i havent read either of those 2 books.

Boner da Stoner

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
comparably yes they are. They have more indepth information and have deeper knowledge.

Dan brown's writings both reflect upon simple minds purveying over slight inaccuracies that lead to inferred controversy.

Caling attention to the church and totally flaming it, not discounting it, just calling it stupid names. Blaming the fight of spirits for our existence. Truly simple.

I dare ask...

why are you reading such petty crap? I'm sure with your English skills you deserve to teach a bunch of grade schoolers what a period is so that they can avoid the most common mistake in the enlish language in a grade school teachers eyes and the rest of society who grew up ever going to to school which is in essence something that nearly every student fails in wrinting and feels totally bummed out about ie me.

The evil I speak of is, RUN ON SENTENCES!!!

Oh and I hope you realize that diplomatic lies just told you what I did in condensed form that makes him sound like a fancy prick...

doctoroxygen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not to mention he told a totally fictional history as if it were truthful. Which its not. At all. Because he does his research on Google.

The Forms

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I will assent that I don't like the innacuracies in his "facts."

However, I like the way he writes. You can sit down and read his books cover to cover without getting bored. Something's always happening. Don't get me wrong, sometimes it predictable, but its fun nonetheless.

The reason Dan Brown is fun to read is for the same reasons why listening to, say Jack Johnson, is fun. Its not complex or cerebral, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Few people read nothing but Jane Austin all day. Sometimes it is nice to read something that is complex like Austin, but not ALL the time.

Sometimes its fun to read something that is just entertaining. Much in the same way few people listen to Beethoven and Wagner all day. Its good music, but that's not ALL you want. Sometimes you just want to listen to The Strokes, you know?

In the end, sometimes you just want to read a good pop book like you want to listen to a good pop song.

Duo

Don Juan
Reaction score
I read the Da Vinci code and I was very disappointed. Overall I found it boring and predictable. People kept going on about how it was so "original" and "new" and I was like "Have you ever seen the Indiana Jones movies? Same idea." I've also read several (better) books with similar ideas.

Overall I think it was a good book for people who don't generally like books. Easy to read. Easy to understand. A little bit of the unusual if you haven't read much else.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by drixsa
Simpletons need not answer.
No offense, but it's odd how you mentioned three times how you didn't want people who read the books to answer. Basically, the books set forth by Dan Brown raised some questions - questions so interesting that there are numerous courses at Ivy League colleges regarding just what he's brought up. However, since most of these guys at Harvard and Yale are "simpletons", I suppose we'll skip past them... perhaps the simpletons in the countless books, TV shows, and other articles could elaborate further than I, since after all, I'm nothing but a simpleton.

drixsa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: How can anyone enjoy the works of Dan Brown?

Originally posted by diablo
No offense, but it's odd how you mentioned three times how you didn't want people who read the books to answer.
No, I stated that request, repeatedly, as to ensure that people who enjoy the lemming writings of today (such as most of the books on the NYT's best seller's list) did not repsond. (Though i should have known better)

This was a "i haven't slept all night and its 5:30am post" and was possibly a bit unbalanced at that moment.

Basically, the books set forth by Dan Brown raised some questions - questions so interesting that there are numerous courses at Ivy League colleges regarding just what he's brought up. However, since most of these guys at Harvard and Yale are "simpletons", I suppose we'll skip past them...
Yes, these questions are centered on the validity of religions, history, and secret societies.

perhaps the simpletons in the countless books, TV shows, and other articles could elaborate further than I, since after all, I'm nothing but a simpleton.
...perhaps

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: How can anyone enjoy the works of Dan Brown?

Originally posted by drixsa
Yes, these questions are centered on the validity of religions, history, and secret societies.
I believe you've just answered your own question regarding why people find his books enjoyable...

Brian20o2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
:crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:
Liturature humor and fancy sentances!
You guys sound like a bunch of british nobles arguing over poitics with fancy terms and shallow facts.
Too funny.

Inc. ©

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brian20o2
:crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:
Liturature humor and fancy sentances!
You guys sound like a bunch of british nobles arguing over poitics with fancy terms and shallow facts.
Too funny.
Word...this thread is pathetic. Where'd you put my calvin & hobbes?

Brian20o2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The funniest thing is that by posting this and telling the site about his work, hes feeding the fire he wishes to get rid of. LOL. I wanna read that book now.

cant think of a user name

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Goosebumps was scary.

Bunch of 12-yr-olds running around getting eaten by 'monster blood' and turning into giant chickens after becoming invisible and almost getting killed by wooden dummies.