Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Hardcover books

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I received a hardcover book for Christmas. Usually I prefer paperbacks, but in this case the paperback isn't out yet.
I'm not a book collector by any means, but I was curious about something:

I like to remove the dust jackets when I read a hardcover book, because they annoy me and get in the way. Taking them off also protects them from almost certainly taking damage at some point. Of course, if you take off the dust jacket, that increases the odds of the hard cover taking some sort of damage, most likely some sort of stain or water mark.

As I said, I don't really care, because I'm not a collector, I'm just curious. I've seen experts on TV talking about the condition of books, and how any sort of damage decreases the value. But finding a dust jacket in good condition is a big plus too, and maybe more rare. I was wondering, do you think a book would have more value if it had a pristine hard cover, or a pristine dust jacket? Again, it's just curiosity.

Fzatf

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The covers do get in the way and I take them off when reading thus keeping a a pristine cover. Personally I'd rather have a nice cover on the book but if it's more valuable to keep the book in good shape, that's something to consider.

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The paper cover is critically important in terms of value, more so than the condition of the hard cover, within limits of course.

I personally have a very valuable book (which I can't name as that could potentially identify me as I'm one of a handful of owners of this book), and if it had the paper cover it would be worth almost twice as much.

If I were a true collector of books with an eye toward later sale, i would probably remove the cover and make my own out of plain paper. When I was in grammar school we used to make book covers out of brown paper bags. In this way, the cover is stashed away and protected, and the book itself is protected by the home-made cover.

I don't mind the covers so much while reading. What I still can't get fully used to is my Kindle. I much prefer a nice physical book to the electronic Kindle.

ShadowFenix

Don Juan
Reaction score
I usually remove the covers, I find that they get in the way when reading. I don't think books really are that susceptible to damage for me because I try not to leave them out.

If we're talking about physical books I do prefer hardcover to paperback. Hardcover books are so much easier to hold imo

Lately though for me I've actually been leaning towards my kindle because it's easier to get books that I want to read and also sometime I like to lie down on my side when I read and being able to not have to deal with the two sides of a physical book makes it so much more comfortable for me.

As to value of books? I've never really thought of books themselves holding the value. Like yeah the quality is nice, but if you can read it in the end then what really matters is the quality of the story.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Title of the book ?
It's the new George RR Martin book, Fire and Blood. It's supposed to be a pretty dry read, kind of like a history book, but I'm enjoying it so far. It's supposed to be sort of his version of Tolkien's The Silmarillion, and I frigging loved the Silmarillion.

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Here in Japan some bookstores will automatically make a new dust jacket when you buy a hardcover book. Kind of cool. But it's also a cultural thing. Japanese are very service oriented, all the shop staff are very polite and make a point of going the extra mile. Japanese folks also would tend to want to read a book in public without letting anybody know what book they are reading. They like their mental privacy like that.

Poonani Maker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I do not intend to sell any of my books. They are stacked sky-high. I always have 3 books in rotation concurrently. One sci-fi maybe, another philosophic, another fiction or investment/money-making related/success etc etc. History will be thrown in the 3 once one is pushed out, or biography/autobiography. In my 40s there is nothing more I enjoy more than reading other than an hour of sex/eating, then it's back to reading. I watch a lot of youtube, but much of it is garbage or ill-informed.

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
It's the new George RR Martin book, Fire and Blood. It's supposed to be a pretty dry read, kind of like a history book, but I'm enjoying it so far. It's supposed to be sort of his version of Tolkien's The Silmarillion, and I frigging loved the Silmarillion.
Looks like I'll be getting The Silmarillion..

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Looks like I'll be getting The Silmarillion..
I have to warn you, it's not for everybody. It doesn't read like a novel, it's more like a textbook, a history book specifically. But it's very rewarding if you like that sort of thing. It tells the entire history of Tolkien's Middle Earth, from Creation until The Lord of the Rings.

It's amazing how he built this entire world, along with complete languages, that served as the background for his stories.

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"Let me tell you something, funny boy... You know that little stamp? The one that says New York Public Library? Well, that may not mean anything to you, but that means a lot to me. One whole helluva lot. Sure, go ahead, laugh if you want to. I've seen your type before -- flashy, making the scene, flaunting convention. Yeah, I know what you're thinking... Why's this guy making such a big stink about old library books? Let me give you a hint, junior.

Maybe we can live without libraries, people like you and me.... Maybe. Sure, we're too old to change the world. What about that kid, sitting down, opening a book right now in a branch of the local library and finding pictures of pee-pees and wee-wees in The Cat in the Hat and The Five Chinese Brothers. Doesn't he deserve better??

Look, if you think this is about overdue fines and missing books, you'd better think again. This is about that kid's right to read a book without getting his mind warped. Or maybe that turns you on, Seinfeld... Maybe that's how you get your kicks... You and your good-time buddies... I've got a flash for you, Joy Boy. Party time is over.

I don't judge a man by the length of his hair or the kind of music he listens to. Rock was never my bag. But you put on a pair of shoes when you walk into the New York Public Library, fella."

Bookman

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I always liked him on Seinfeld, he was almost like a detective out of an old black and white movie. And Jerry's expressions while listening to his ridiculous rants.

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
I have to warn you, it's not for everybody. It doesn't read like a novel, it's more like a textbook, a history book specifically. But it's very rewarding if you like that sort of thing. It tells the entire history of Tolkien's Middle Earth, from Creation until The Lord of the Rings.

It's amazing how he built this entire world, along with complete languages, that served as the background for his stories.
Brooks, Eddings, Martin, Goodkind and Sullivan were similar too.

You could feel words coming to life and be immersed in it.

It's a shame Robert Jordan died.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I never read him. A friend of mine was reading Wheel of Time and highly recommended it, but at the time there were like nine volumes and I didn't want to invest the time until I was sure he was going to finish it. Sure enough, he died before he did (I know someone else finished it). I also tend to be a slow reader (I like to savor the words) so I found it a little daunting. Besides, I tend to prefer non fiction.

Come to think of it, George RR Martin may never finish Song of Ice and Fire, but I'm hoping to live long enough to see Game of Thrones finish in April on HBO.

Von

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Brooks, Eddings, Martin, Goodkind and Sullivan were similar too.

You could feel words coming to life and be immersed in it.

Wheel of Time will be finished by Brandon Sanderson, who has epic series of his own

HardCover books are fun for the library... paper book to be read ;)

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
Wheel of Time will be finished by Brandon Sanderson, who has epic series of his own

HardCover books are fun for the library... paper book to be read ;)
I agree, I too prefer paper book rather then hardcover, easier to read.

Wheel of time is good for those in their late teens early 20's.

David Eddings is a good read for those in their preteens or early teens.

I'm currently reading Amor Towles - A gentleman in Moscow.

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
I never read him. A friend of mine was reading Wheel of Time and highly recommended it, but at the time there were like nine volumes and I didn't want to invest the time until I was sure he was going to finish it. Sure enough, he died before he did (I know someone else finished it). I also tend to be a slow reader (I like to savor the words) so I found it a little daunting. Besides, I tend to prefer non fiction.

Come to think of it, George RR Martin may never finish Song of Ice and Fire, but I'm hoping to live long enough to see Game of Thrones finish in April on HBO.
Martin is extremely good but I think Jordan is better.

Yeah, song of ice and fire looks unlikely to finish..

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Martin is extremely good but I think Jordan is better.

Yeah, song of ice and fire looks unlikely to finish..
Speaking of Jordan's books being long, Martin is a long-winded SOB too.

R

Ranger

I actually enjoy reading books in excess of 1000 pages haha
I like them too. “The Stand” by Stephen King. “The Source” by James Michener.

Lately it’s myseries and alternative history.
I’ve drifted away a little from A-symmetrical warfare stuff.

I recommend the Dark Tower series by King. Especially if you like Tolkien.