Guys...make sure not to overdo it with the cologne

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
I wanted to post this here because I want you all to see it. I was in a waiting room yesterday sitting and reading Newsweek when a guy came in and checked in and came over and sat by me, obviously trying to make small talk and what not. He had TOO MUCH cologne on. I felt like I was going to gag and had to get up and move to the other side of the waiting room. No doubt the guy felt pretty rejected, but I honestly just couldn't stand the smell of him.

Cologne...LESS is more. Don't forget it.

white cloud 8

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
It's true, if you are using cologne only use it sparingly e.g. behind your ears, dab on the sides of your neck. Cologne should be a personal thing, you are letting someone of the opposite sex come into your personal space to embrace the fragrance :up:.

GirlCrazy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Less is more, for sure. But that doesn't tell the whole story. The purpose of cologne is to enhance a man's natural musk, not cover it up. Every man has a different body chemistry, so it's important to wear a cologne that matches your chemistry.

Don't buy the cheap ones either, unless you want to smell like a hillbilly hee haw redneck. A bottle of good cologne costs about 50 dollars, and it's worth every penny.

When you enter a room and women follow you around smelling you, then you know you found the right one :)

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
This cologne in and of itself wasn't nasty...it was the fact that he had WAY TOO MUCH of it on. Being anywhere near him hurt my eyes and nose it was so strong. Talk about chick repellent...

DJ_in_making

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Brut is awesome

Personally, I have to put on a lot of cologne b/c it simply doesn't stick on me as well as it does on others. The perfect amount is when you start u catch random wifts of it throughout the day

Good_ol_boy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Brut is awesome

Don't buy the cheap ones either, unless you want to smell like a hillbilly hee haw redneck. A bottle of good cologne costs about 50 dollars, and it's worth every penny.[/B]

And what's wrong with "redneck hee haw?? :crackup:
By the way, a really good cologne can cost much more, check out:

http://www.amouage.com/englishweb/amouage/homepage.htm

Originally posted by DJ_in_making
Personally, I have to put on a lot of cologne b/c it simply doesn't stick on me as well as it does on others. The perfect amount is when you start u catch random wifts of it throughout the day
There is something called "scent fatigue" where you stop smelling a (your own) scent. That's why they put bowls of coffee beans in good perfume shops. It could very well be that is you are smelling yourself later in the day, you did put on too much. someone more than a foot or foot and a half (half meter) away shouldn't smell what you're wearing.

Marlimus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Marlimus' cologne picks

Acqua di Gio - Armani
The Dreamer - Versace (personal ALL TIME favorite)
Dolce and Gabanna - (strong! use sparingly!)
Gaultier - (strong! use sparingly!)
Dark Blue - Hugo Boss
Mania - Armani
Curve - Liz Clairborne
Very Sexy - Victoria's Secret
Perry Ellis 360 for men

Acqua di Gio is universally loved by ALL women.

How I do it:
i spray on the index finger, rub against tip of index finger, wipe behind the ears. Spray on one side of the neck, take finger, rub on the other side of the neck. Use your finger to find the parts of your neck where your veins throb the hardest.
Spray on one wrist directly on the pulse, rub it unto the other wrist. Halfway through the day, one spray to the body.

Never spray directly on your clothes

locarius

Don Juan
Reaction score
Please let Aqua di Gio die.

Also, Wyldfire, did you say anything to the guy? Maybe no one has ever told him.

locarius

Don Juan
Reaction score
If I were to ask 25 club-goers, I would say 12-15 of them use Aqua di Gio. Overdone.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by locarius
Please let Aqua di Gio die.

Also, Wyldfire, did you say anything to the guy? Maybe no one has ever told him.
No, I didn't say anything, but the fact that I kept coughing, sneezing, covering my nose and gagging and had to move must have been a good indicator that he smelled horrid. I just hope he doesn't think he has BO and needs to wear MORE cologne. UGH! (It was THAT bad that I couldn't even control it...I tried so hard NOT to gag, but it was involuntary)

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by johnnyhero79
Do girls still like brut?
I don't.

The only cologne I remember by name that I really liked was Preferred Stock. It is fairly cheap and smelled good. But then too many men started wearing it and I think it's popularity faded.

As long as a guy smells clean and doesn't have BO I don't really care about cologne one way or another...unless a guy wears too much, then it makes me gag.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by johnnyhero79
Elvis use to wear brut lol..:p
He also used to wear sequined polyester and sideburns to his ankles...

Retire the Brut...

locarius

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Wyldfire
No, I didn't say anything, but the fact that I kept coughing, sneezing, covering my nose and gagging and had to move must have been a good indicator that he smelled horrid. I just hope he doesn't think he has BO and needs to wear MORE cologne. UGH! (It was THAT bad that I couldn't even control it...I tried so hard NOT to gag, but it was involuntary)
Guys dont think this way. We dont think 'what does that mean' in the same way women do. He likely thought you had a cold or something :p

Also, chances are he can't even smell the stuff on himself anymore which is why he keeps drenching himself in it. He likely had no idea his reaction was to the cologne.

Be blunt. He may thank you for it.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by locarius
Guys dont think this way. We dont think 'what does that mean' in the same way women do. He likely thought you had a cold or something :p

Also, chances are he can't even smell the stuff on himself anymore which is why he keeps drenching himself in it. He likely had no idea his reaction was to the cologne.

Be blunt. He may thank you for it.
Well, I really couldn't say anything to him because he stunk so damn bad my eyes were watering, my throat stung, I started sneezing like crazy and everytime I breathed in air I gagged. I almost hurled, too. I had to get away from him it was so nasty. I don't think I could have talked without throwing up. It was just horrible.

That was a bad day all around. The waiting room was an occupational health medical office. I was getting a physical for a new job. The doctor's exam felt more like I was being groped and felt up than a physical. He almost got punched...

bullmoose

Don Juan
Reaction score
I wear Vera Wang For Men. Girls ask me about it all the time. Then they're impressed as $#!+ that I know who Vera Wang is (woman's clothing designer known for hella-expensive wedding dresses.) The scent is mild vanilla, with tobacco and cedar undertones. And best of all, nobody else I know seems to wear it. It's not too expensive; a gift box is about $100 and should get you through the year.