Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Gun ownership

Robert28

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Owning a gun is something you should really give ALOT of thought to. You’re basically holding life and death in your hands. To me, deciding to buy a gun is a bigger decision than buying a house or a new car or choosing who to marry. It’s not something that should be done on a whim. I would strongly suggest going to a training class (take your gf or wife with you, they’re a lot of fun). You’ll learn more in the class than I could teach you in a lifetime, and I’ve been a gun owner since I was 12. With that said, once you buy your first gun you’ll buy a second and a 3rd and on and on. I have 6 handguns, 8 shotguns, 6 rifles. And I want more.

Robert28

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
With guns, there is no resale value to speak of, yes? It seems like new ones are coming out all the time with improvements.
Depends on the gun you buy. You have to buy smart like anything. If you buy a 9mm those are highly desirable because it’s a popular caliber, but then you get into the make of the gun. Is it a kel-Tec? Good luck giving it away. Is it a Glock 19? You’ll easily get 75% of your money back.

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Owning a gun is something you should really give ALOT of thought to. You’re basically holding life and death in your hands.
I really don't understand this mentality. A gun is just an object. It's not going to harm anyone unless you deliberately use it for that purpose or unless you are negligent. But negligence is also a risk with many other activities, such as driving a car. Anytime you get behind the wheel, you could kill yourself or somebody else. Learn the basic gun safety rules (they aren't complicated) and exercise common sense.

Kotaix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
With guns, there is no resale value to speak of, yes? It seems like new ones are coming out all the time with improvements.
It's like cars. Old guns can go for a lot of money but used recent models aren't worth their purchase price. The difference is that there is a thriving industry that makes fake collectible guns, and this is much easier with guns than cars. You really need to know what you're doing if you get into collecting to avoid getting ripped off.

There have been very few real advances in firearms technology since the 1930s. New models are released just to keep the industry going, but there's little to nothing new in how they work.

Robert28

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I really don't understand this mentality. A gun is just an object. It's not going to harm anyone unless you deliberately use it for that purpose or unless you are negligent. But negligence is also a risk with many other activities, such as driving a car. Anytime you get behind the wheel, you could kill yourself or somebody else. Learn the basic gun safety rules (they aren't complicated) and exercise common sense.
The mentality I’m talking about is having the mindset that you will use it if you have to. A lot of first time gun buyers (not the op) think “we’ll I’ll just scare them with it, I won’t ever have to shoot anyone”. You have to have the mindset that you will kill someone if you need to defend yourself or loved ones. That’s a mental hurdle not many people can overcome. A gun is a tool, all tools should be understood and learned with practice or they can be dangerous. A chainsaw is for cutting wood but it can also cut your legs off easily. Learning gun safety rules is one thing, but he’s wanting to buy for home defense. That’s why I suggested taking a gun class because they will teach you how to operate under stressful conditions and all other scenarios you could face while defending your home or out and about. Little things like how to properly draw, how to fire two rapid shots instead of just one, how to clear a failure to feed or failure to eject while under stress in the middle of a fight, etc.

RickTheToad

Reaction score
I don't know if this is supposed to be sarcasm, but on the odd chance it's not, this is surely a recipe for ending up dead.
No, wasn't sarcasm. Guns pointed at a person at point blank range, I would had been dead anyway. Was I lucky? Not sure. But close hand combat and disarmament training helped a lot.

RickTheToad

Reaction score
Owning a gun is something you should really give ALOT of thought to. You’re basically holding life and death in your hands. To me, deciding to buy a gun is a bigger decision than buying a house or a new car or choosing who to marry. It’s not something that should be done on a whim. I would strongly suggest going to a training class (take your gf or wife with you, they’re a lot of fun). You’ll learn more in the class than I could teach you in a lifetime, and I’ve been a gun owner since I was 12. With that said, once you buy your first gun you’ll buy a second and a 3rd and on and on. I have 6 handguns, 8 shotguns, 6 rifles. And I want more.
How did you buy a gun at 12? You have to be 18 to legally own a firearm.

Robert28

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How did you buy a gun at 12? You have to be 18 to legally own a firearm.
Birthday present from grandparents. It was a single shot 20ga. New England firearms, still have it. Next year they gave me a .243 Savage. I’d been shooting my dads guns before that but never had one to call “mine” outright. I don’t even remember what my first gun was that I bought myself, I’ve owned so many that it got lost in the shuffle.

evan12

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you are looking for self defense in everyday life , martial arts or boxing will be better , and more practical, pick one and master it , you will not have time to master everything .
Owning guns in Canada is mostly for hunting , I already passed the safety course , just need to apply for license , you are not allowed to shoot the theft if some one break in to your home, also the rules to keep the ammo in separate place than the gun.
So legally it is impossible to use it in self defense. however, if you think the Apocalypse is coming or the system is is going to fail , it is good to have one , most people will choose the unarmed house to break in than an armed house lets say to get some food or money.

Robert28

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you are looking for self defense in everyday life , martial arts or boxing will be better , and more practical, pick one and master it , you will not have time to master everything .
Owning guns in Canada is mostly for hunting , I already passed the safety course , just need to apply for license , you are not allowed to shoot the theft if some one break in to your home, also the rules to keep the ammo in separate place than the gun.
So legally it is impossible to use it in self defense. however, if you think the Apocalypse is coming or the system is is going to fail , it is good to have one , most people will choose the unarmed house to break in than an armed house lets say to get some food or money.
The weird thing is y’all can get guns imported from China but we can’t. And yet your gun laws are WAY more strict.