Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Gun owners/enthusiasts here???

LowPlainsDrifter

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
(Eyes turned up, arms outstretched, face ghastly white...)

"I'm coming to get yooouuu, Alpine..."

Derek Flint

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Marin County, CA - just North of San Francisco
Originally posted by LowPlainsDrifter
I shot the Desert Eagle .50 Action Express at a rent a gun range in Orlando.
Almost uncontrollable recoil - the range officer lets you shoot almost anything unsupervised - but not that!
$2 per round!
Remember, as powerful as it is, it's nothing compared to .50 BMG.
I was at an indoor range when some dude was firing one of those.

You could actually feel the air pressue in the room change when it fired.

The recoil is a real ***** though.

Abbott

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The police can't be there all the time to protect you. If there were, then that'd produce a horrible, Orwellian environment. Not to mention the humougous tax overhead for something that's unnecessary.

I'm not big on fighting or anything (I'm not a nice guy, but I am a nice guy), but if someone attacks you in a vicious manner, or tries to enter your house to steal your stuff or something, wouldn't you want to be able to blast his ass to kingdom come?

In fact, I don't know if it'd be such a bad idea if everyone were required to carry a gun. In every state that decided to enact their conceal and carry laws, crime has dropped. I'd imagine that's because the criminals are now afraid of pissing people off.

I live in Illinois, but at least I don't live in Cook County (where Chicago is located). I've heard that in Cook County, if a burglar enters a house to rob it, and then the owner shoots him, the owner will get in trouble! It's B.S. We need a conceal and carry law here, desperately.

Ben

Dust 2 Dust

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You may have seen this in the news recently:

In Florida Governor Jeb Bush just passed a new law stating that a citizen can "shoot anytime and anywhere if they feel threatened".

Florida seems to be pretty lenient in respect to such laws. One of my dads friends killed a guy in his front yard trying to steal his car and got off.

Another time my uncle shot a burglar in the head and killed him. It was declared a justifiable homicide.

My criminology professor gave me some advise. If your gonna shoot then you better shoot to kill cuz remember "Dead men can't testify against you in court."

Abbott

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dust 2 Dust
You may have seen this in the news recently:

In Florida Governor Jeb Bush just passed a new law stating that a citizen can "shoot anytime and anywhere if they feel threatened".

Florida seems to be pretty lenient in respect to such laws. One of my dads friends killed a guy in his front yard trying to steal his car and got off.

Another time my uncle shot a burglar in the head and killed him. It was declared a justifiable homicide.

My criminology professor gave me some advise. If your gonna shoot then you better shoot to kill cuz remember "Dead men can't testify against you in court."
Interesting. I'm leery of almost anything the Bush family tries to do, but that's one point where I'm in agreement.

People shouldn't have been trying to rob in the first place. It's just not right.

If you did that in Chicago your father's friend and your uncle would both be in jail for murder.

Ben

LowPlainsDrifter

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Five years hence...

Went from zero firearms to nine.

Bunch of rifles, and now my first handgun - Ruger Gp100 .357, dark finish, 6" barrel, Pachmyr grips.
More goodies on the way - Chiappa 1911-22 (looks and handles just like classic GI .45 1911) , Tokarev TT33 (rugged and fires inexpensive centerfire ammo), and a P-64 (Polish Makarov clone that is actually nicer looking and just as rugged/reliable).

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yikes, old thread. You must have done some digging to find it!

I won't talk about firearms I own now due to legality, but back in my old country I owned these three.

Ruger 10/22, naked ------> for plinking :D
Remington 700 in .308, leupold mk4
S&W 642 +p, (.38)

wanted to buy an AR-15, but invested the money elsewhere. probably a good idea... now they're sitting in a locker collecting dust :(

-

Don't know why firearms are a cause of concern for some people, they're only tools.

U

user43770

Quiksilver said:
Don't know why firearms are a cause of concern for some people, they're only tools.

People fear what they don't understand. If they were introduced to guns in a proper manner, many would change their minds.

Julius_Seizeher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm a rifleman myself, love those lever actions. I have Winchesters, Henrys, and Marlins in 30-30, .45 long colt, .44 mag, .22 mag and .22 lr. If you don't have at least one Henry or Winchester in your cabinet, you ain't no huckleberry. I shoot .22s the most by far, you can shoot .22 all day long for $10.

For bolt actions, all I have now are .22s; but I've had .30-06, .22-.250, etc. I had to sell them in a jam a few years ago.

As for handguns, I've had .357s, .44 mag, .40 cal. and 9mm pistols. Don't have any handguns now, but I'll get back.

Shotguns- only one worthy of mention, a 1952 Winchester Model 24 side-by-side 12 gauge. It was a limited production model, and my gunsmith is all about buying it. But it belonged to my grandpa, not gonna happen.

MY DREAM GUNS (THAT I WILL BEGIN BUYING SOON)

Sig Sauer P226 X-Five in .40 s&w. Might grab a Colt 1911 in 10mm as well, that is a badass caliber.

Colt HBar Competition Model in .223 - I really miss shooting the M16, and this is the next best thing. Probably better.

Custom built .22-.250 with leopold scope, heavy & free-floated barrel. .22-.250 is an under-the-radar caliber, but they are super fast (3800 fps!) and they shoot straight and flat. A perfect caliber for high-accuracy shooting under 800 yards, the ultimate coyote killer is what I'm after.

Custom built 300 WinMag with the heavy barrel and leopold scope. 300 WinMag is the perfect caliber for anything in North America, if you go on an elk hunt out west it is what they will give you. It is the next step up from the .30-06, which is a hugely powerful round anyway. I will take this rifle on western hunting trips and I will turn cinder blocks into dust at 1000 yards with it, hoo-rah!

2crudedudes

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Quiksilver said:
Tools intended to kill or incapacitate.

I've never been a pro-gun guy myself, and have actually been adamantly AGAINST guns for a long time, but my high school buddy is, and he just recently finished slapping an AR-15 together from bought parts.

I'll say this much: I can't wait to shoot that thing. Its interesting to see my change of mind from seeing a gun in a magazine or website to actually holding it. I don't wanna know how much my mind will change once I go shooting (hopefully this Saturday).

I might end up buying one myself :(

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
2crudedudes said:

I've never been a pro-gun guy myself, and have actually been adamantly AGAINST guns for a long time, but my high school buddy is, and he just recently finished slapping an AR-15 together from bought parts.

I'll say this much: I can't wait to shoot that thing. Its interesting to see my change of mind from seeing a gun in a magazine or website to actually holding it. I don't wanna know how much my mind will change once I go shooting (hopefully this Saturday).

I might end up buying one myself
Nothing to be ashamed of.

If someone was--right now--threatening your life or the life of a family member, would you drop a gun because it is "icky" and is designed to kill people? Or would you use it to protect yourself and your family?

Firearms are only bad when bad people have them. When say, good cops have them, they then become very useful tools for saving lives and protecting people.

It is that mindset you can adopt, that only YOU are responsible for your safety, and that with a firearm you can save lives (and your own) and protect people, should an unfortunate event occur.

In your country, the police have no legal obligation to protect you, these three women thought they didn't need a means of self-defense and that the police would protect them.

If you remain anti-gun that's fine, but please don't actively try to prevent other honest and good citizens from protecting themselves.

Have fun with the AR-15 :)

JustLurk

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
@"tools used to kill or inc"
There are plenty of guns meant just for target shooting.
You don't seriously think .22 plinker pistols are for self-defense, do you?

Read the link to wiki Quiksilver, and that case is sick. How are the police not responsible for not doing their jobs? The answer to learn here is that it is -not their job- to protect you. Thus, it is your job, and you wouldn't be doing your job right without a gun, training, and maybe a martial arts black belt in something functional.

U

user43770

2crudedudes said:
What's wrong with tools that are used to kill or incapacitate criminals? I'm sure you already know this, but there are people out there with very bad intentions. There are people out there who want to rape, rob and pillage. It's already been said in this thread, but the police won't be there when you need them most. "When seconds are precious, the police are only minutes away." I don't know how much you care about your own life, and I don't know if you have a wife or kids that you need to care for, but the ability to stop an immediate threat to you and yours' is priceless. Let me start another paragraph...

...If I was in England, for instance, and somebody broke into my house with the intention to hurt me or mines', what would I do? Hit 'em with a baseball bat? What if they're like most criminals and they bought a gun illegally? I'll answer that for you: I would probably die and leave my family to the ill will of some cretin(s). This leads in to another paragraph...

...I'm a crazy gun totin' American. Apparently, we're less civilized than the rest of the Western world because we put 80 year old women on the same plain as a 25 year old career criminal - because, guess what, that's what guns do; they give the WEAK the ability to protect themselves from the STRONG... or, they may just enable you to put some rapist/murderer in the dirt where they belong.

Already.

"If guns kill people, my pencil must misspell words."

*No offense to 2crudedudes, you just happened to be the anti-gun person I quoted.

*Shout out to Quiksilver.

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I own three guns, two shotguns and a pistol. However, I haven't seen them in ages and I'm not quite sure where they are.

FWIW, Freakonomics points out that families with kids and pools are ten times more likely to get a dead kid that families with guns and kids.

and in the book "more guns, less crime" the author illustrates how states that relaxed gun ownership laws saw a concurrent drop in crime.

Amazon Review:

amazon.com said:
Amazon.com Review
Multiple regression analyses are rarely the subject of heated public debate or 225-page books for laypeople. But John R. Lott, Jr.'s study in the January 1997 Journal of Legal Studies showing that concealed-carry weapons permits reduced the crime rate set off a firestorm. The updated study, together with illustrative anecdotes and a short description of the political and academic response to the study, as well as responses to the responses, makes up Lott's informative More Guns, Less Crime.
In retrospect, it perhaps should not have been surprising that increasing the number of civilians with guns would reduce crime rates. The possibility of armed victims reduces the expected benefits and increases the expected costs of criminal activity. And, at the margin at least, people respond to changes in costs, even for crime, as Nobel-Prize winning economist [TAG]Gary Becker showed long ago. Allusions to the preferences of criminals for unarmed victims have seeped into popular culture; Ringo, a British thug in Pulp Fiction, noted off-handedly why he avoided certain targets: "Bars, liquor stores, gas stations, you get your head blown off stickin' up one of them."

But Lott's actual quantification of this, in the largest and most comprehensive study of the effects of gun control to date, a study well-detailed in the book, provoked a number of attacks, ranging from the amateurish to the subtly misleading, desperate to discredit him. Lott takes the time to refute each argument; it's almost touching the way he footnotes each time he telephones an attacker who eventually hangs up on him without substantiating any of their claims.

Lott loses a little focus when he leaves his firm quantitative base; as an economist, he should know that the low number of rejected background checks under the Brady Bill doesn't demonstrate anything by itself, because some people may have been deterred from even undergoing the background check in the first place, but he attacks the bill on this ground anyway. But the conclusions that are backed by evidence--that concealed-weapons permits reduce crime, and do so at a lower cost to society than increasing the number of police or prisons--are important ones that should be considered by policymakers. --Ted Frank --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

LowPlainsDrifter

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Julius_Seizeher said:
If you don't have at least one Henry or Winchester in your cabinet, you ain't no huckleberry....

Shotguns- only one worthy of mention, a 1952 Winchester Model 24 side-by-side 12 gauge. It was a limited production model, and my gunsmith is all about buying it. But it belonged to my grandpa, not gonna happen.

Hmm... Does my Rossi Lever Action in .45 Long Colt count? :)

Good call on not selling the side-by-side.

Financial distress issues aside (I'm speaking generically now, not specifically about you), there's an expression I truly believe in: "you seldom regret buying a gun, you always regret selling one."