Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

GUIDE TO BULKING UP

quakerstate

Don Juan
Reaction score
ratio

Kinda confused about the ratios.

Protein: 1.3-1.5g / # of body weight
Carbs: 2-3g/ # of body weight
Fat .33 - .5g / # of body weight

for the 2nd one, I look at say 1/2 cup of oatmeal in the nutrition facts. It says 27g of Carbs. So is it 1.5g per pound or what? I'm 140 pounds.

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Workout duration

Originally posted by Bonhomme
Diesel,

Are you familiar with Anthony Ellis' theory that too long a workout causes one to miss the window of greatest growth?

He recommends 45 minutes max per workout. My own results support this. My muscles are sore as hell -- in a good way -- for days after my 30 minute ultra-heavy workout. It appears your routine would take much longer.

What are your thoughts on workout duration, and why?

Ive seen some of you guys come out with this before. It makes me laugh when described as Anthony Ellis' theory lol! (By the way, don't waste your money on his stuff, it's sound but pretty basic and you can find all that info and more with a little background research of your own). The theory of shorter workouts has been around for years in one form or another - the 45 minute idea stems from Bulgarian weighlifting coaching and research that revolves around the point at which testosterone levels begin to drop during a workout.

Other exponents of brief but intense sessions included Arthur Jones, Mike Mentzer (who ridiculously preached that no other training method could produce results - despite him not really following his own teachings in practice), Ellington Darden, Dorian Yates to some extent and others.

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't care whose theory it is ...

but so far the short/heavy regimen works best for me. I don't have a lot of time as it is.

My #1 obstacle is my diet. Many food allergies, which require me to cook almost all my meals and rotate foods. it's so much opf a pain in the ass, I often can't get a good protein meal in when I need it.

Anyone know where one can get buffalo meat or venison pemmican without MSG or soy protein additives? :rolleyes:

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kinda confused about the ratios.

Protein: 1.3-1.5g / # of body weight
Carbs: 2-3g/ # of body weight
Fat .33 - .5g / # of body weight

for the 2nd one, I look at say 1/2 cup of oatmeal in the nutrition facts. It says 27g of Carbs. So is it 1.5g per pound or what? I'm 140 pounds.
All right, here's what that means.

Say you're 140 lbs, and you want 2-3g of carbs per pound of body weight. We'll stick with 2g.

That's:

140 lbs * 2 g = 280 Carbs per day.

You look at that 1/2 cup of oatmeal, cook it up and eat it. That's 27g of carbs.

280 Carbs/day - 27g carbs = 253 Carbs left to consume for the day. There you go. Now go eat some more. :p

madgame

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No disrespect diesel, but do you really think you should change your routine every 4 weeks, to take one week of after 2 months of training or to start training with relatively light weights after that one week of rest?
Actually I started working out seriously 3 or 4 years ago but Im still using the same routine (except for lil adaptions) I did when I started back then. I never took a week off on purpose, sometimes u get sick or are on vacation or something tho. And when I did have to rest for like a week I started with the same weights I used to work out with right before the break......Basically I just stick to the principle "if it aint broke dont try to fix it"in this case and Ive gained a lot of muscle ever since starting to work out. Besides I heared those 3 principles of yours I just criticized before but never heared anybody say you should use them that often.(Maybe it does help tho)

Anyways I got a question for you or anyone else whos had experience with that: If u work out and try to gain mass but you also wanna play other sports. Lets say basketball or football. Would it affect your gains if you ate as much more calories as u need?(cause u said absolutely no cardio...which is of course b/s if u trying to gain mass. A complete waste of time and a need to take in more calories)

Besides do you or anyone else know how much alcohol really affects your gains? I try not to drink much,but I was wondering if the negatives of drinkin were really that big (concerning bodybuilding) cause..this might sound a bit odd now lol but I bet a lotta rappers for example who r really big.. like 50 cent or many others (maybe hes an exception and doesnt drink who knows) probably do drink (a lot). Besides any tipps on how to reduce the negatives of alcohol consumption?I heared drinkin a lotta water after spendin a night at the bar should help..any other tipps?

madgame

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Templeton is right about that ...anthony ellis thing. It sounds pretty much like the basics of weight lifting. Nothing new. But most ppl who start lifting weights think its enough to just lift weights and maybe take a proteinshake a day to get enough protein.

@donjuan_20: I dont take any protein powder myself, but I drink like 3 liters of milk a day (dunno in gallons but like 10 cups). I know its much lol. I used to switch to taking protein powder (Im not quite sure if it was whey though, but I got better results when drinking lots of milk (probably because of the amount of calories though). Its probably not much cheaper to drink that much milk though, and I gotta back diesel up: If u wanna cut up u should take protein powder to keep ur muscle mass (at least it worked for me).

@bonhomme: My workouts usually take about 1,5 hours but still ive been able to get pretty good results......Maybe I should try to make my workout shorter and more effective though...maybe itd make me see better results...I dunno if im the only one but when I do bench presses for example I press once and then rest for 3 or 4 minutes before I do another set....that might sound really too much, but that way I start with lets say 6/7/8 reps on the first set and get 4/5 sets on the last set. If I only rest for 2 mins or so I wont be able to lift a weight I can lift 7 times at first for only 2 or 3 times.................anyone got some advice for me here?

OzzyBoy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I want to start bulking myself up a bit so i look better especially with my clothes off. What are a few things i could do to get started?

madgame

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
how about reading DIESEL's original thread on bulking up and umm....bulking up??and later maybe reading his thread on cutting up and...cutting up?lol

quakerstate

Don Juan
Reaction score
All right, here's what that means.

Say you're 140 lbs, and you want 2-3g of carbs per pound of body weight. We'll stick with 2g.

That's:

140 lbs * 2 g = 280 Carbs per day.

You look at that 1/2 cup of oatmeal, cook it up and eat it. That's 27g of carbs.

280 Carbs/day - 27g carbs = 253 Carbs left to consume for the day. There you go. Now go eat some more. :p
niiice, great explanation. thanks!

PapaLongDong

Banned
Reaction score
DB Press

Everyone wants a big chest, and the benchpress is not the exercise for that, trust me, if you want huge chest do straight dumb bell presses, and db flys, u cant go wrong, and work it more than once a week, i work it 2 - 3 times a week to my max, usually do about 100lb in each hand, its a great chest builder and u can really feel it, deff more than bench....ps im 16 but im 5'8 167 and i bench 290 squat in the high 300s, so u can trust that im right, also throw in a few benches hear and their just for the hell of it :)

- Chris

PapaLongDong

Banned
Reaction score
Testrogel

For you skinny guys, i recommend mixing creatine and testrogel, i started working out about 8months ago at 127lbs and could barely do 100lbs, i have dramatically changed, just keep fit, i recommend for the heavier guys looking to loose weight to eat "Morning Star Farms Vegi Crumbles" tastes better than real meat, and its high protein, low sugar carbs etc.. it will work wonders, trust me i got my fatass budy using it and he lost 20lbs in a month and hes cut like you wouldnt believe, well good luck getting fit,

- Chris

quakerstate

Don Juan
Reaction score
Is there anything wrong with just sticking to food and not using any supplements?

Need-2-B-Pimpin

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah...I'm currently trying to figure out how to get my parents to let me start the diet, but supplements (creatine, anything that's an acronym) are probably going to end up out of the question.

Rico S

Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: DB Press

Originally posted by PapaLongDong
Everyone wants a big chest, and the benchpress is not the exercise for that, trust me, if you want huge chest do straight dumb bell presses, and db flys, u cant go wrong, and work it more than once a week, i work it 2 - 3 times a week to my max, usually do about 100lb in each hand, its a great chest builder and u can really feel it, deff more than bench....ps im 16 but im 5'8 167 and i bench 290 squat in the high 300s, so u can trust that im right, also throw in a few benches hear and their just for the hell of it :)

- Chris
You might not wanna go around advising maxing out three times a fukking week. You aren't truely maxing out if you can do it three times a week.

To any newbies, DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS GUY.

Rico S

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by quakerstate
Is there anything wrong with just sticking to food and not using any supplements?
You can get the same results without supplements. Supplements are for convinience once you have your diet in check.

Rico S

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Need-2-B-Pimpin
Yeah...I'm currently trying to figure out how to get my parents to let me start the diet, but supplements (creatine, anything that's an acronym) are probably going to end up out of the question.
Just get whey protein powder. Almost all of those other supplements are worthless.

Walden

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah man , gorillas bulk up eating bugs and leaves and they hevae the identical digestive system to what we do.

whatwouldsatando?

Reaction score
bulking

You say no cardio... while bulking up, but what if you want to be strong and have stamina. Also, how do you train for speed, and still put on bulk?

Rico S

Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: bulking

Originally posted by whatwouldsatando?
You say no cardio... while bulking up, but what if you want to be strong and have stamina. Also, how do you train for speed, and still put on bulk?
Eat enough calories to negate the amount you burned during the cardio.

HB_Hunter

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Great Guide Diesel .

I want to just ask about 2 things :

You said that i have to change my routine every 4 weeks , so if i do

Day:Chest , Tri

Day:Back , Bi

Day Delts , traps

Day:legs

and 2 times a week abs , calves , forearms

then if i want to change my routine could it be back and bi first then chest and tri another followed by delts and traps or this is wrong since it produces overload on your chest 2 consecutive days ??? cause i go to Gold's Gym Maadi , Egypt and they told me this ...

the other thing is about the supplements .. what is the best whey powder that i can find ??? how often shall i use it ???

Regards ,