GUIDE TO BULKING UP

Aresx

Don Juan
Reaction score
h20! (and others)

Wait, that wasn't specific advice tailored to YOU, that was an example.

You might have to eat more/less than that example based on your current energy expenditures.

DO NOT do what I said in the example - it is a general example not a guide for h20. E-mail me (thlalla@hotmail.com) and I'll figure out what you should do.

splinterkb

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A few things you could specify.

1. How fast should I be doing these lifts? 2 sec? 4 sec? 6?
2. Which lifts are the most effective for adding the most mass you possibly can? I know squats and deadlifts are good, and tricep extentions/dips are good, but what about for shoulders and pecs?

Reaction score
Yo, D, I have a question for you.

I am planning to bulk up after this serous cutting circle ends. (BF last week at 16.5%/167lb.)

I was wondering what would be the ideal complex carb/rice to simply carb/dextrose ratio during bulking??

And is there a site that tells people about amount/weight of grain in terms of calories? so I can monitor my carb intake closer.

Thank you.

SacrificeThery

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DIESEL
This board is repetitive as fukk. Newbies come in and pretty much ask the same question over and over.

"HOW DO I GAIN MASS ON X BODYPART??"

"I'M A SKINNY BASTARD AND I WANT TO GET BIGGER."

etc, etc, etc.

Here's the deal. Follow the steps, and get big.

1. Weigh yourself (in lbs !! - if you're a skinny bastard, bf% is irrelevant)
=============================
2. Use these ratios to set up your diet: EAT THIS AMOUNT OF CALORIES EVERY DAY WHETHER YOU LIFT OR NOT

Protein: 1.3-1.5g / # of body weight
Carbs: 2-3g/ # of body weight
Fat .33 - .5g / # of body weight

Notes:
Carb sources: Whole wheat bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, oatmeal, green vegetables, dextrose

Protein: whey powder, eggs, lean meats, fish, skim milk, lowfat cottage cheese

Fat: you'll probably get enough from the meats/eggs you eat, but supplement 1 TABLESPOON of FLAX OIL
===================
3. at least 1/3 of your total daily calories should come in the 3hour window following your weightlifting workout.

Note: Keep fat intake to a minimum during this time. Whey protein is the desired protein source too due to its fast absorption by the body.

example:
Immediately post workout.
2 scoops whey
1 serving creatine transport + additional dextrose

1 hour post workout
2 scoops whey
2 potatoes

2 hours post workout
MRP
1 potato

3 hours post workout
regular meal (meats, eggs, etc..)
=======================
4. Limit training to 4x a week tops

5. Each body part is trained once a week. The following are the max sets you should be doing a week. per body part.

Chest: no more than 10 work sets
Back: 10 sets
Legs: 10 sets
Bis: 4-6 sets
Tris: 5- 7 sets
Delts: 4-6 sets
Traps: 4 sets
Calves, Abs, Forearms (can be done 2x week - 6-10 sets)
=========
6. Train heavy - if you can do more than 8 reps it's too light, if you can't do 4 reps with good form it's too heavy.
========
7. No isolation movements. Use heavy, basic, compound movements

Chest: Pressing movements (barbell or dumbbells), Flyes w/ DB
Back: Heavy Rows, T-Bars, Pull Ups, Pulldowns, Deadlifts
Legs: Squats, Leg Press, Stiff Leg Deads, Leg Curls
Bis: Barbell Curls, Alt DB Curls
Tris: Close Grip Bench, Skullcrushers, Tri Pressdowns, Dips
Delts: Military Press, DB Presses, DB Raises
Traps: Barbell/ DB Shrugs, Power Cleans
==============
8. Little if any machine movements.

Chest: no machines
Back: Hammer Machines, and Lat Pulldowns, Seated Rows are OK
Legs: Leg Press, Leg Curl OK
Bis: no machines
Tris: Cable Pressdowns OK
Delts: No machines
Traps: no machines
==========

9. Drink lots of water - at least a gallon a day

10. Supplement properly
Vit. C, E, Creatine, Glutamine, and CLA are all you need.

11. Get at least 8 hours of sleep a day

12. ABSOLUTELY NO FVCKING CARDIO
(unless you start getting a visible fat roll.. if this happens, just start cutting from the carb totals - that should keep you lean )
=======
13. Change your routine every 4 weeks, but keep the rep range and exercises constant. Basically, change the order of exercises around to keep the workouts fresh.
=========
14. Buy a little notebook and track your reps and sets.. each week try to do more weight and more reps. Once you hit the 8 reps you know it's time to up the weight.
========
15. After 8 weeks, TAKE ONE FULL WEEK OFF THE GYM. This will recharge your body and keep you from overtraining.

When you come back to the gym, work for that FIRST WEEK ONLY in the 10-12 rep range to get your body used to the weight again. Then jump into another 8 week cycle using your maxes from the last 8 week cycle as your starting point.
===========

there you have it, now get to work!

D

[This message has been edited by DIESEL (edited 08-13-2002).]
Im 16 and dont have a job and my parents wont buy me protien shakes and i dont really have a lot of options when it comes to my diet can i still do okay with out balancing my diet?

kupotrix

Reaction score
Here's a quick question.

I bought a 2kg tub of Whey protein.
Says "100% Natural Whey Protein"
no chem processing or artificial sweeteners
Rich source of BCAA's

1 Scoop 22g
90 Cals ( 360 kJ)
Total fat 2g
Saturated 1g
Trans fat 0g
Cholestoral 45mg
Sodium 60mg
Total carbs 2g
Protein 17g

Ingredients: Whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, french vanilla flavour, guar gum, stevia, bromelain, Enzyme powder (protease, papain, lipase)

This is stuff good or bad??I heard whey protein concentrates are bad?Also is the reduced carb a bad thing too? Before I used this
Myogen XP stuff, like a 2:1 or 3:1 protein to carb ratio I think..
I bought this cause it was cheap and I was out of cash at the time =\. Gah I hope this stuff isn't "bad", 2 KG of it lol..

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's not too bad. Little low on the protein ratio, and a little high on the fat, but not bad after all. 2KG's isn't much, you should go through that in a month.

Fitch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good Post.

What is MRP?

Last edited:

iknowmore

Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: GUIDE TO BULKING UP

Originally posted by Sazuki
Well if you do everything right with your diet progress will be faster, but if you eat enough and somewhat clean you can make good progress I reckon.

Eat 5/6 meals daily.

Figure out how much you need daily:

http://michaelandkendra.com/BMRCALC/bmrcalc.htm

Getting carbs is not that big of a problem for most people I think, just cut out the sugars as much as possible.

Try to cut the bad fats, eat some good fats; olive oil, nuts, flax oil.

Protein might be a bit harder? Just ask for some bigger portions of meat/fish at dinner. Inbetween you can eat some cottage cheese.

For Post workout you can eat a bowl of oatmeal with milk and honey. And 30 minutes later some cottage cheese or a can of tuna. Just some ideas.

Hope that helps a bit.

Try brainwashing your parents, mine were really biased towards bodybuilding. But their arguments were just total BS.
id shoot for 7/ 8 meals a day for gaining. Also, id have a shake with oatmeal, honey, and whey (because its faster digesting, opposed to the casein protein in milk, which can take up to 7 hours for your muscles to absorb, makeing it a great choice before bed)

jtank

Reaction score
what do u eat the cottage cheese with? it takes so disgusting by itself..

milkman

Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Yo D

Originally posted by DIESEL
Join a gym. Use free weights. Do lots of squats, deadlifts, and power cleans, and bench as the foundation to your routines.
By using DIESEL´s programme, he recommends to train, for instance:

Mo: Legs
Tu: Back
We: Chest
Th: Rest
Fr: Arms
Sa: Rest
Su: Rest

1. So, if one does i.a. squats on monday (legs) and dead lifts on tuesday (backs), when is it recommendable to do power cleans (because of the multi joint ramifications of the exercise: for legs AND back), so that there is no problem with overtraining? Also, is it trouble-free to practice squats and dead lifts on two following days, because I think both exercises secondly train also the other body part (legs or rather back). :confused:

2. Is it possible that anyone who follows DIESEL´s guide can post his whole weekly routine with his exercises? That would be great (haven´t still found one, only partly).

Thx in advance for answers,
milkman

unistork

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm currently bulking up, is doing the Ab-roller considered cardio? because I am getting chubby on my stomach (but no where else, my arms is all skinny) and I want to get washboard abs so what do you think?

I'm also on a protein shake that is 46 grams of protein and 11 g of fat so along with the high intake of protein I also get a lot of calories from it as well so it works real good. I try not to eat junk food ( a donut for breakfast here and there) but I need the fat anyway but I mostly eat a ton of Rice, nuts, eggs, sausage, etc.

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm currently bulking up, is doing the Ab-roller considered cardio?
No, throw that shyt in the trash and let it go to the dump. Or give it to some lard-ass soccermom who thinks she's gonna get supermodel thin from rollin around on the ground like a fat kid having a seizure.

I want to get washboard abs so what do you think?
You won't while bulking. Live with being fat for a while, then cut up.

I'm also on a protein shake that is 46 grams of protein and 11 g of fat
Check the fat, if it's saturated, or a high concentration of saturated, get a new protein powder. Sounds pretty bad to me. Any protein powder with stats like that is gonna taste pretty good, so it's gonna be shyt for your health ;)

unistork

Don Juan
Reaction score
Heres the protein shake I use, I like it because it's supposedly supposed to help bulk you up let me know what you think if it's just a "gimmick" or what, I've noticed I am getting slightly meatier but could be just a coincidence:

Paps

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi all,

Ive decided to use Diesel's guide to bulk up a little bit more before I cut. Im currently 5ft 8 at 145lbs.

I practice martial arts about 2-3 times a week (2hr sessions each). I understand that this will hinder my gains in bulkin. But if I eat 900 extra calories on the days I practice would that compensate for the calories lost?

You say that you shouldn't exceed 10 approx. work sets for each body part. However, does this include sets in which the muscles have been worked out indirectly.

e.g. Pull -downs work out Lats and Biceps, but mostly Lats. So if i did 10 sets of lat pull- downs, would that count as 10 sets for lats, or 10 sets for lats and 10 for biceps?

Thanks

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Yo D

Originally posted by milkman
bump
Don't!

Deadlift and squat is basically the same exercise. Have at least a day rest between those days. I do powercleans after the deadlifts.

Here's my routine, DIESEL's stuff has always been the basis off my training:

Day 1 legs + shoulders

4 sets off squats
3 sets of stiff leg deads
3 sets off calves raises
3 sets off military press w/ bb or db
2 sets off upright rows
(might include something for the posterior deltoid though)

Day 2 Chest + biceps + abs

4 sets with db bench
2 sets ordinary bench
2 sets off dips leaning forward

3 sets of barbell curls
2 sets reversed grip

4 sets off lying leg raises with attached weights
I seem to be able to get some forearm curls behind back in here too.

Day 3 Back + triceps

4 sets off Deadlifts
2 sets off pull-ups
2 sets off T-bars/other rows
2 sets powercleans or shrugs

3 sets off skull crushers
2 sets off dips
or 2 sets off close grip bench presses

3 sets of standing calves raises

-------------------------

4-8 rep range on every exercise except calves raises, forearms and abs where I go 6-10

Note this is not the perfect workout... it suits me though.

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Paps

Hi all,

"Ive decided to use Diesel's guide to bulk up a little bit more before I cut. Im currently 5ft 8 at 145lbs.

I practice martial arts about 2-3 times a week (2hr sessions each). I understand that this will hinder my gains in bulkin. But if I eat 900 extra calories on the days I practice would that compensate for the calories lost?"

It's not only calories lost, cardio training under such amounts off time will deterioate your muscle.

"You say that you shouldn't exceed 10 approx. work sets for each MAJOR body part. However, does this include sets in which the muscles have been worked out indirectly."

No it doesn't

e.g. Pull -downs work out Lats and Biceps, but mostly Lats. So if i did 10 sets of lat pull- downs, would that count as 10 sets for lats, or 10 sets for lats and 10 for biceps?

No just for the lats :]

blueman

Don Juan
Reaction score
im 18 yeas old my weight is 210 and im 5'8 was wondering if i should do cardio and weights or do cardio first.