Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

GUIDE TO BULKING UP

DJ de Florida

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DIESEL:
You would choose a weight that would make it difficult for you to complete the last 1-2 reps. This is where the adaptation, and thus, muscle growth and increased strength come in.
I think this what Diesel means:

Don't be a puzzy squid and rack that sh!t at the end when it is tough to punch another rep. Fukk that. Bust your a$$ at the end to become a progressive weight trainer to gain some fukkin mass.

------------------
Don Juan de Florida

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by ultrashogun:
You said not to do any cardio, why exactly not?
the calories burned by the body during and after cardio (due to the elevated metabolic effect ) could be used by the body towards recovery and muscle building. cardio does absolutely nothing for bulking up. actually, it's an impediment.

so to recap. if you're fat coming in.. lose the weight first, then start bulking..

if you're skinny to begin with.. fukk cardio, start eating and lifting heavy.

hope that clears things up.
D

Future DJ King

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey New Guys! This post gives some really good tips and guidelines but these rules are not written in stone. Don't be afraid to experiment a little and find out what works best for you. If you don't have a lot of time then you can still workout. I have made gains using only 1-2 worksets. Maybe its just my genetics or maybe it can work for anybody. Who knows? The most important things is that you work out hard, no excuses! You can get more informantion at www.cyberpump.com

BallZ of SteeL

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Diesel..what about a "guide to cutting up" ? for us big guys who need to lower thier bodyfat ?

------------------
they have pushed me into this.

now i am not gonna stop.

Aiken_Drum

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by BallZ of SteeL:
Diesel..what about a "guide to cutting up" ? for us big guys who need to lower thier bodyfat ?

Yeah, I'd love to see a guide about cutting by you D, I'm beggining cardio on monday

Vronski

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
12. ABSOLUTELY NO FVCKING CARDIO
(unless you start getting a visible fat roll.. if this happens, just start cutting from the carb totals - that should keep you lean )
wtf man??? cardio is essential. If the beginner isnt trained, when he gains enough muscle volume the heart will not be able to work hard enough during the training.

YOU HAVE TO DO CARDIO!!! It compulsory. With cardio you will be able to make longer workouts.

unless you start getting a visible fat roll..
You need to have a visible fat roll. You need to be on the chunky side for the muscle to grow. Otherwise it becomes really hard to increase in volume.

And you have to run for about 20-30 minutes before the workout so that your body turns on and is ready to work.

------------------
I am working day and night trying to come up with original sig

BallZ of SteeL

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
BuMp (to remind diesel of doing the guide
)

and about the cardio thats what im always doing since i started working out months ago, right before workout in my gym 20 minuties running, 10 minuties other strenth exercises and aerobics..5 minuties rest then go hit the weights..its much better and gets you pumped up . but he is right if you'r a skinny bastard then ditch the cardio..who likes to do it anyway!

------------------
they have pushed me into this.

now i am not gonna stop.

[This message has been edited by BallZ of SteeL (edited 09-01-2002).]

Aiken_Drum

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No Vronsky, if you stop cardio you'll have more energy for lifting.
You won't be out of breath for not doing cardio, you'll save your energy for lifting. Besides, lifting stimulates your heart a lot, you'll improve aerobically too. Of course you won't be able to run a freaking marathon, but you are trying to get big right? Big ppl don't run, they fight
!

Vronski

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No Vronsky, if you stop cardio you'll have more energy for lifting.
When u do cardio before the worjkout your body 'turn on' and is ready to work hard. You wont be out of breath, you'll be just breathing faster and in the end you'll be able to last longer through the workout.

BUT: you have to start running really slow and you should never push yourself. Just run at your lowest speed, but run for 20-30 minutes. at the end you'll feel not out of breath, but able to run at this speed forever.

Besides, lifting stimulates your heart a lot, you'll improve aerobically too.
Nope. Lifting doesnt have a big effect on your heart.

Just try it. Run before workouts and tell me how it feels.

BUT NEVER TRY TO RUN FAST !!!

------------------

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Vronski:

When u do cardio before the worjkout your body 'turn on' and is ready to work hard. You wont be out of breath, you'll be just breathing faster and in the end you'll be able to last longer through the workout.

BUT: you have to start running really slow and you should never push yourself. Just run at your lowest speed, but run for 20-30 minutes. at the end you'll feel not out of breath, but able to run at this speed forever.

Nope. Lifting doesnt have a big effect on your heart.

Just try it. Run before workouts and tell me how it feels.

BUT NEVER TRY TO RUN FAST !!!

[/B]
This is absolutely wrong. You don't need to run for a half-hour to turn the body "on".. You can easily turn the body "on" by doing warm-up sets.

This whole recommendation of running slow for 20-30 mins as a prerequisite for lifting just robs you of precious muscle glycogen that can be used for moving big weight.

This thread has nothing to do with being an endurance athlete. It's about getting fukking huge. What you are recommending defeats that purpose.

Lifting doesn't work the heartt?? You obviously don't do heavy squats, deadlifts, or power cleans. That'll tax your heart infinitely more than 20-30 mins. of running at fat-chick pace.

Also, if you are going to run fukk this 20-30 minute b.s. and do wind sprints, it's way better for the heart.

In closing: you can waste your time listening to Vronsky, or you can go in, stretch a bit, hit the warmup sets and get to work. Short, heavy, and brutal go home and eat like an ox.

peace,
D

*new*

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
i joined a gym recently.I have not worked out to get bigger before, so I may not be the best guy to teach here, but my instructor makes me first warm up for 5-6 mins at low pace on the threadmill and then do the stretching exercises before hitting the weights.. I agree with warming up a little ,but not that long..I also agree with diesel in his warming up sets, but i still think 5-6 mins of slow cardio is better..

Vronski

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ALL of the professional heavy guys do cardio before workouts. But hey - they're all wrong. They're nothing compared to average noob.

------------------

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Vronski:
ALL of the professional heavy guys do cardio before workouts. But hey - they're all wrong. They're nothing compared to average noob.

all of the professional heavy guys also do bucket loads of GH and steroids...and yes a lot of the **** they supposedly say (if you believe the mags) IS wrong.

When you are on that much juice and GH, pretty anything you do (even sleeping) will get you huge.

Doing it naturally is a whole different ballgame.

just keep that in mind.

D

Big N

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Vronsky, when you do cardio before you lift you have less glycogen and therefore you will not be able to lift as hard or as long. You will also **** yourself because it burns calories which you need in order to put on muscle.

If you cant understand it that way, then look at it this way:

Have you ever gotten bigger from running? No.
Have you ever gotten bigger from lifting? Yes.

If you look at it mathematically, the most efficient way to gain muscle is to do 100% lifting. The more running you put in your workout, the more you are diluting the effectiveness of your lifting.

Lets say (theoretically) that every time you lift you gain 5 pounds of muscle, and every time you run you gain 4 pounds of muscle. What would be the most efficient way to gain 20 pounds of muscle? 4 sessions of lifting. You could also gain 20 pounds of muscle through 5 sessions of running, but that is less efficient.

The shows that lifting is more efficient, even when I totally overestimate the effectiveness of running.

Oh well, I tried to present it in a non-scientific way, but it probably isnt very understandable.

Steve

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I can tell you from experience, running will not help you gain weight. When I was training heavy for track, I lost weight actually. If you have to run a lot, compensate for it by taking in more calories/protein. If you just want to get muscle fast, like the purpose of this thread, just lift.

And you don't need to run or whatever before hitting the weights. Just stretch a bit then go at it. That's the purpose of starting with higher reps, then working your way down.

[This message has been edited by Steve (edited 09-02-2002).]

DJRAZR

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
To get big, you need to eat big!
Train Hard, Eat, Sleep

For chest, i use Weighted Dips in place of fly movements. Works best for me

StuartScott

Banned
Reaction score
Hey Big N, I see you didn't reply to my answer to your crazy assumptions in my "Steroid" post. Go ahead, act like you didn't see my reply. No matter, as long as I shut your stupid a$$ up.

Anyway, Vronski, please go away, you're one of those folks that tells that conflicting info that gets everyone (like me)confused.

DIESEL, great post, I'm looking forward to your guide to cutting. Lates

cutler

Don Juan
Reaction score
vronski...

i agree with diesel
are you telling me that I am all wrong too?
I am 5'7 220lb's @ 8% bodyfat.

I warm up for 10minutes, followed by 10minutes of stretching.

i aint the biggest guy, but i've been training for years.

for a true hardgainer, cardio is going to do nothing but burn excess calories...

when you are bulking, you try to keep physical activity to a minimum. i still do cardio once or twice a week, for cardiovascular health.

but it is not as though you wil grow so big overnight that your heart cannot adapt to your body.

please educate yourself about this.