Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Gaining Weight Is Hard Stuff

Lost Cause

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been slender all of my life. I am 5'11 and 154 lbs as of last night. Over the last 3 months I have tried to gain weight but in the process managed to lose 4 pounds and some fat. What the hell? I don't thnk I ate enough.... but if I ate anymore I'd be sick.

I think I've found the answer though..... MILKSHAKES. Drink one or two per day and I think I'll be able to pack on some weight (albeit some fat but what do I have to lose, i'm already skinny).

My recipie.

2-3 scoops Vanilla Ice Cream
1 cup 2% milk
1 scoop whey protein
1 tbsp peanut butter

My eating routine will look like this

Breatfast (Eggs, Cereal, Toast/PB, Bagels)
MRP
Lunch (Tuna, Sandwiches, Chicken, Subway)
Milkshake
Dinner
MRP (before bed)

Supplements

Swole V2
Whey
Flax Oil
CLA

I'll be working out 3x a week. I hope this works dammit.

Phantasmal

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
There's a 6 meal thing going on with the shakes and MRPs.

Sometimes your body has to adjust to new training programs and diets. Sure, this advice is common, but try to make sure you're lifting hard, getting plenty of rest (not overtraining), and bump the calories from time to time if you have to.

blackbirdbeatle

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm going to have to disagree with eps on the smaller meals. Maybe if you can't eat a lot at one sitting it is good but I find that three big meals with snacks in between has helped me pack on the pounds more than anything else. Eating a bunch of small meals keeps your metabolism in high gear all day, somthing a skinny person doesn't need.

heater528

Don Juan
Reaction score
I am in your boat i could not put on weight if my life depended on it, i tried eatting 2 loaded pb and j sandwhiches right before bed for 6 months and went from 6ft4 188 to 200 pds, i took whey protein 2 times a day and ate all my regular meals, i also took flax seed oil and health from the suns total EFA. Right now i am 210 and am happy with the results im getting

Byronic Hero

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lost Cause
I've been slender all of my life. I am 5'11 and 154 lbs as of last night. Over the last 3 months I have tried to gain weight but in the process managed to lose 4 pounds and some fat. What the hell? I don't thnk I ate enough.... but if I ate anymore I'd be sick.

I think I've found the answer though..... MILKSHAKES. Drink one or two per day and I think I'll be able to pack on some weight (albeit some fat but what do I have to lose, i'm already skinny).

My recipie.

2-3 scoops Vanilla Ice Cream
1 cup 2% milk
1 scoop whey protein
1 tbsp peanut butter

My eating routine will look like this

Breatfast (Eggs, Cereal, Toast/PB, Bagels)
MRP
Lunch (Tuna, Sandwiches, Chicken, Subway)
Milkshake
Dinner
MRP (before bed)

Supplements

Swole V2
Whey
Flax Oil
CLA

I'll be working out 3x a week. I hope this works dammit.
You need to get some creatine, man. It will pull water into your muscles and give you more mass. It is a must have if you want to gain weight.

The only good uses I've heard about CLA is for losing fat. I've heard in a lot of places that it's a waste of money.

What are your workouts. Are you doing low amounts with heavy weights? That's the key to gaining mass while lifting. Also, what muscles are you hitting? I'd imagine you are following the Diesel guide.

I don't seem to have any trouble gaining or losing weight. Lucky me I guess. If I can be of any help just ask and I'll see what I can do.

livin large

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My tips:
Creatine
Huge breakfast (concentrate on getting lots of protein and carbs, don't worry about fat)

After that, it's just like lifting. If you're not getting stronger, it's because you're not putting more weight on. Well, you're not going to get bigger unless you start throwing down more food. Don't eat the same amount everyday...if you really want to gain weight, push yourself to eat more.

Yes, you will get fatter. That's your trade-off. You will also be stronger.

Neo

Don Juan
Reaction score
Man this board has a lot of creatine worshippers.
If you want to gain some weight just go eat pasta every night before bed.
Or just read the sitckies

bman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
you dont need creatine to gain weight. i would get some weight gainer instead of the protein powder. the weight gainer i use has protein in it, but its 200 calories a scoop. i eat somethign then drink one of those shakes before bed every night and it works for me. pasta is a good idea too

Revlis

Don Juan
Reaction score
Guys, creatine is really for making you lift more not to rely on it for gaining weight. If you stop taking creatine then all that water weight you gained goes. Creating specifically doesn't increase muscle tissue, only adds water to the muscle.

If you take creatine you'll most likely lift a little more therefore along with a good diet you'll will get bigger. That's all.

It's not the be all and end all of gaining weight. I hardly use creatine and I've gained 30lbs in a couple of years and I find it very hard to gain lean weight.

Get back to basics first, e.g. eat enough and the right calories (drink lots of water), have a good weight training program and sleep. Add creatine if you want to see if it helps but don't rely on it.

:)

livin large

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The guy asked how to gain weight. Creatine will help him gain weight. He is working out 3x per week. With creatine he will have greater gains. Greater gains = more muscle. More muscle = more weight. So creatine = more weight, not just "temporary water weight that he will lose when he is off creatine."

Or he could go with your advice, just eat pasta and ice cream 3x per day and see if he can get fat. I guess I made the faulty assumption that he didn't want to pack on the blubber.

No, creatine is not necessary for gaining weight. Yes, it will help to make permanent progress toward gaining weight.

Mikelo2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Create a nutrition plan my friend :) I am currently in the process of bulking myself and am making great progress. It's my first time at this so i'm happy i'm gaining weight steadily.

It's been about 2 weeks and i've gained roughly 10 pounds! Thats alot to gain in such a short period. And only 1 or 2 lbs of that is fat!

Basically, research some dieting. Calculate how many calories you need to intake to gain X amount of pounds per week, then split these cals into CARBS, PROTEIN and FAT.

Fat has roughly 9kcals, and protein\carbs roughly 4kcals each.

I reccomend this program: www.CalorieKing.com

I use it to track my meals and its a great program if you're starting out.

Good luck,
Mikelo2k

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's been about 2 weeks and i've gained roughly 10 pounds! Thats alot to gain in such a short period. And only 1 or 2 lbs of that is fat!
Bullsh1t. 8 pounds of muscle in 2 weeks is impossible unless you're juicing. Maybe only 2 pounds is fat, but then 6 pounds of that is water.

Lost Cause, how many caleries a day have you been eating exactly? What kind of excercises? How much rest are you getting every night? How consistant have you been over the past 3 months?

MVPlaya

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Its not that fricking hard. You live near a McDonald's, right? Just go there for lunch 4 days a week for 5 weeks. Then get back on the scale.

Revlis

Don Juan
Reaction score
I hope you were talking to me livin large because this is gonna be fun.

Originally posted by livin large
The guy asked how to gain weight. Creatine will help him gain weight. He is working out 3x per week. With creatine he will have greater gains. Greater gains = more muscle. More muscle = more weight. So creatine = more weight, not just "temporary water weight that he will lose when he is off creatine."
I said that in my post above yours. Here it is again for your pleasure "If you take creatine you'll most likely lift a little more therefore along with a good diet you'll will get bigger. That's all."

Or he could go with your advice, just eat pasta and ice cream 3x per day and see if he can get fat. I guess I made the faulty assumption that he didn't want to pack on the blubber.
That wasn't my advice. I guess you were talking to someone else here. This is what I advised "Get back to basics first, e.g. eat enough and the right calories (drink lots of water), have a good weight training program and sleep." I highlighted right calories (water) to show that I wasn't talking about stuff like icecream. The original poster, Lost Cause is talking about inhaling icecream everyday.

No, creatine is not necessary for gaining weight. Yes, it will help to make permanent progress toward gaining weight.
True but creatine isn't the wonder supplement that everyone here thinks it is. It's great, don't get me wrong but he needs to get his diet covered and a good routine. He's got a crappy diet! Supplements are there to supplement your diet (add into) and not the main thing to worry about when you begin. By all means he should try it but also focus on a better diet.

He should have less shakes, atm he's having 3 a day and one with icecream. I recommend maximum of 2 shakes and make them quality calories. One should try to get as many calories as possible from whole foods.

But if he just wants to get fat then camp out at McDonalds ;)

Mikelo2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
ok...

Bullsh1t. 8 pounds of muscle in 2 weeks is impossible unless you're juicing. Maybe only 2 pounds is fat, but then 6 pounds of that is water.
Hello Shiftkey... sometimes guys with a mentality such as yours aggrevate my nerves.

See, I really dont care what is 'not possible', because I impose no limits onto myself. I for a FACT, have actually gained over 10 pounds of mass in the past 14 days. I am not taking any supplements or meal replacement powders.

I eat 7 meals a day, I come home at lunch everyday and cook myself a huge lunch. I stuff those damn eggs down my throat everday when i come home from school even tho they taste like ****. I am dedicated to my program and I wont miss a meal no matter what! My daily caloric intake goal is 3787 cals... i take in between 3400-3900 every day. That should actually scientifically make me gain 3lbs a week, but it has been doing much better :)

No matter what you say, I know I have gained 10 lbs in two weeks, gone from 120lb to 131lb as of now (thats after i feed the toilet). How much of that is muscle mass? Quite alot i'd say. I do notice a slightly thicker 'skin' (due to the fat i gained) on my abs, but they are still cut nicely.

How much is water? Honestly I couldnt tell you. Although I am guessing not much at all. I do drink quite a bit of water, but have been for the past few months and it hasnt affected my weight noticeably. Also I always take measurements in the morning after unrination and emptying of the bowels ;)

Please feel free to comment however you like, but DON'T say something is impossible. Because what you just said was impossible, I have already achieved.

Thanks,
Mikelo2k

Zircon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Mikelo2k -

I want your diet/mealplan. Can u publish it?

Thanks.

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mikelo, don't misunderstand - gaining 10 pounds in 2 weeks is quite possible. But gaining more than a pound or two a week of MUSCLE isn't, unless you're taking roids.

How much of that is muscle mass? Quite alot i'd say. I do notice a slightly thicker 'skin' (due to the fat i gained) on my abs, but they are still cut nicely.
This leads me to believe you really have no idea. And you wouldn't have any idea without measuring BF% before and after.

I can garantee you that 6-8 pounds of those 10 pounds you gained is fat or water (probably fat). You can still have cut abs with 6-8 more pounds of fat - fat doesn't just go to your gut.

And 2-4 pounds of muscle in 2 weeks is still something to be very proud of, and not something a lot of guys can do.

livin large

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Revlis - sorry, my post was directed at the one above yours...

Bottom line for anybody trying to gain weight - if you're not gaining weight you're not lifting hard enough, you're not eating enough, or most likely both.

Revlis

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by livin large
Revlis - sorry, my post was directed at the one above yours...

Bottom line for anybody trying to gain weight - if you're not gaining weight you're not lifting hard enough, you're not eating enough, or most likely both.
Ok, my bad.

What you just said is true, it's a shame a lot of people don't want to put the hard work in to achieve their goals.

TheSplat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nobody noticed that Swole V2 is creatine. Don't worry bro, I'm in the same boat as you. Gaining weight is a difficult thing for us skinny kids. Just lift hard and heavy, eat like a bear, and get enough sleep. It'll come.