Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Full Body or Split Workouts

Spade_1

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey, I'm 16 5'8" and weight around 117lbs....I started lifting 3 times a week and my question is should I do full body or split workouts. Any other advice is appreciated.

int3l

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
well i used to do 3 day split. now im doing a full body. i think it just depends on the time you can spend ... or something like that. Most of the guys here will probably recommend a split, while i think the split is great i just didn't feel working my major muscle once a week was enough for me, so i work them all 3 times a week. ..lol but don't take my word for much, i just started like a few months ago so i'm still quite the newbie. probably best if you follow a program...

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's all depends on your goal. If you wanna just get/stay in shape,then a full body workout will be fine. If you want to sculp your body or power lift then it'd be best to break it up. Just my opinoin.

Spade_1

Don Juan
Reaction score
my #1 priority is gaining strength and then #2 would be gaining mass

mintxx

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
i have a three day split lower body/push/pull and i go 6 days a week. if you split the right way and take a week off every 5 or so, everthing recovers well and grows quickly.

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Spade_1 said:
Hey, I'm 16 5'8" and weight around 117lbs....I started lifting 3 times a week and my question is should I do full body or split workouts. Any other advice is appreciated.
If you just started out, go full body. Will make you learn the exercise technique better.

Train 3 days a week, alternating between these:

Workout A:
Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Pull-ups: 3xfailure

Workout B:
Squat: 5x5
Overhead Press: 5x5
Deadlifts: 1x5

Start light, increase the weight on every workout for all exercises.

Good luck.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am not very confident in the info below, its just stuff based off my experiances but I do not consider myself very experienced yet:

Starting out, you can make good and study gains doing only 2 or even 1 set per exercise per workout session. You will see steady increases of 1.25-2.5 lb increases to your PR. Also, recovery is quicker since you are doing low volume. Since you need very few sets per exercise to improve, a full body is best for beginners.

Another reason for the full body for beginners is that you will learn form faster. Some exercises take several sessions to get down, the two most complicated being squats and deadlifts.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
all else equal i'd recommend a 3 day split, either rippetoe's program (get a copy of "starting strength") or WBA's program: http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=110033

do make sure you get the form right, and recognize that diet & rest are more important than the specifics of your program (presuming you pick a solid one).

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Spade_1 said:

Dude, maybe I'm totally off, but I think I can give you some solid advice, though not what you asked for.

I'm your same height, give or take, and I weigh 40 lbs more than you, yet I don't worry about routines and this kind of stuff yet. Shìt, I don't even watch my diet, though I'm a hardgainer. Unfortunately most people overanalyze bodybuilding rather than just doing some hard work. You don't grow by asking questions all the time or reading books. They can help, but you grow in the gym (and in bed, and in kitchen).

Unless you are a pro (which is not the case, since you should weigh at least 60 lbs more), all you need to know is "Lift, Eat - Rest, Repeat", nothing more than that. When you are over 150 lbs, you may come here and look for some info on how to reduce fat amounts, but until then just bust your @ss in the gym and in the kitchen and try to sleep 8 hours a night.