Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

For people/students who require experience in IT/Computing

Stephen89

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
-Learn a few languages (such as C#, Java, PHP, JavaScript), this can help you gain employment as a programmer, developer.
-Create your own projects and show them on Github, this could be apps, software, websites.
-Contribute on Open Source projects.
-Take certifications in A+, MCSE then apply for helpdeask roles.
-Take N+, A+ then volunteer has a network admin at a school, along with purchasing your own router from Ebay to fiddle around at home and then volunteer hospital or your council Once you have experience take the CCNA and then apply for network engineer roles.
-Volunteer as a technician at your uni
-Volunteer. Apply on volunteer sites
-Collaborate with other students in a project
-Test software, create a portfolio and then apply for software testing jobs once you have your degree
-Run your own blog on how to learn programming or what you know and gained
-Run an IT consultancy voluntary
-Freelance
-Volunteer as a IT trainer
-Create your own databases and websites
-Do the Linux foundation course, contribute on the Ubunto forum, create your own apps
-Contribute on Stackoverflow, create an account and send a link to your CV.
-Create a brilliant computing project in your final year.

Fzatf

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
-Learn a few languages (such as C#, Java, PHP, JavaScript), this can help you gain employment as a programmer, developer.
-Create your own projects and show them on Github, this could be apps, software, websites.
-Contribute on Open Source projects.
-Take certifications in A+, MCSE then apply for helpdeask roles.
-Take N+, A+ then volunteer has a network admin at a school, along with purchasing your own router from Ebay to fiddle around at home and then volunteer hospital or your council Once you have experience take the CCNA and then apply for network engineer roles.
-Volunteer as a technician at your uni
-Volunteer. Apply on volunteer sites
-Collaborate with other students in a project
-Test software, create a portfolio and then apply for software testing jobs once you have your degree
-Run your own blog on how to learn programming or what you know and gained
-Run an IT consultancy voluntary
-Freelance
-Volunteer as a IT trainer
-Create your own databases and websites
-Do the Linux foundation course, contribute on the Ubunto forum, create your own apps
-Contribute on Stackoverflow, create an account and send a link to your CV.
-Create a brilliant computing project in your final year.
I've done some of freecodecamp.com. Do you have any knowledge regarding the success and effectiveness of the course work?

Stephen89

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I've done some of freecodecamp.com. Do you have any knowledge regarding the success and effectiveness of the course work?
Yeah I've used some software projects from Treehouse, Pluralsight which has gotten me into C#, Java programmer, developer interviews.

Treehouse, Pluralsight, Lynda have very high quality courses in IT, programming languages(C# .NET, Java, PHP, JavaScript) where you can learn effectively how to complete a project and use their projects as your portfolio.

Fatal Jay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Can these courses turn a guy with no clue with what he is going, into a pro if he works hard?

MonkeyLord

Reaction score
Nothing is impossible if you work hard for it.
I would advise starting programming with a mentor, so he can teach you basics of programming, later you can get all the knowledge from courses. Starting is the only hard part here.

In some cases programming alone, would not be enough, you would need knowledge from different fields and some knowledge of theoretical computer science, just to get a feeling how hard something is or where should you expect problems.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I run a web dev company that does high end work by

If u r a freelancer learn php. 80ish percent off all work is php. Won't pay as much but consistent work. If u can find a speciality like laravel or codeignitor that's a different story

C# meh especially with Android taking over it's not necessary I have taken one c# job in the last year. Ironically I'm trying to sell one now

Java and JavaScript is where it's at. You learn node.js/angular.js/react.js u can literally do anything sites apps etc

We are transitioning to a JavaScript firm that does Java work

In the real world no one uses . net anymore lol. Some not worth learning

Ruby is pointless

Python/Django isnt

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The big thing now is building multi facedd sites that can run in multiple environments

I can build a lamp based site to be mobile responsive but to make it work as an Android or iOS app you have to build the front end again using something else. Probably twice to make work with both. Now a 5,000 site costs 15,000

Or

U can build a site using angular.js/mongodb/meteor and with very little customization make a hybrid app that works with Android and iOS

.js and mongodb is where yo money go come from and no one knows it lol so once they find u they keep coming back.

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I run a web dev company that does high end work by

If u r a freelancer learn php. 80ish percent off all work is php. Won't pay as much but consistent work. If u can find a speciality like laravel or codeignitor that's a different story

C# meh especially with Android taking over it's not necessary I have taken one c# job in the last year. Ironically I'm trying to sell one now

Java and JavaScript is where it's at. You learn node.js/angular.js/react.js u can literally do anything sites apps etc

We are transitioning to a JavaScript firm that does Java work

In the real world no one uses . net anymore lol. Some not worth learning

Ruby is pointless

Python/Django isnt
I disagree with quite a bit of this. It actually depends on what you are doing and where in the country you are working. In the Northeast for instance C#/VB.NET is used extensively in enterprise development for large corporations(coming from a guy who does enterprise development for large corporations), especially ASP.Net as the backend for whatever frontend technologies you are employing. In fact VB.Net after being laughed at for quite some time has been rocketing up the TIOBE charts and is right behind C# now. As a programmer who got his start in VB.Net it makes me smile, but I would never choose to program in VB.Net anymore because C# is such a beautiful language to write in syntactically. Either way tho, they are equivalent languages with 99.99% of the things being exactly the same(sans automatic unit testing in VB which always drove me crazy) since they end up running the same IL code in the end.

Java is used a lot in legacy programs and in Android programming but has been losing marketshare fast over the last year. C# is a better language, basically they took Java and improved on it and Java has really done nothing to stem the tide. That's jjust the language itself--- Java has no answer even remotely close for what the .NET Framework provides. Now that C# is becoming multi-platform with Mono and Xamarin, Java is on the verge of losing it's two main advantages. Also Unity's flagship language is C# and as the world's most popular gaming engine, it is natively multi-platform(and quite awesome I might add as well) so tons of games are being written in android without using Java anymore.

PHP...don't get me started. I wouldn't learn PHP if it meant I had to never be hired as a programmer again. I know 7 languages, 3 or 4 javascript frameworks, and am getting ready to learn my 8th in C++...PHP will NEVER be one of them. EVER.

People complain about Javascript being poorly written but PHP makes Javascript look like something Shakespeare wrote. It is an absolute disaster/clusterfvck of a language with so many quirks that you have to learn because things that should work don't and things that shouldn't do...basically it was made by some guy who just built stuff so it would work and kept throwing sh!t in without any real regard for proper architecture. He even admitted as much in interviews. Does it work? Yeah it works but it's a disaster. No reason to even bother when there are plenty of other options out there now, even pure javascript ones like Node.js.

I don't know what "real world" you are a part of, but clearly not one that is in touch with reality. If anything MORE companies are going to .NET, not fewer. The .NET framework does a LOT of heavy lifting that would have to be done manually otherwise. It's not going anywhere. Maybe as a web developer you see a bunch of cheap ass clients who don't want to spend the money for Microsoft licenses but I can assure you Fortune 500 companies have no such qualms about it.

If only I could get them to abandon that garbage browser they called Internet Explorer I'd die a happy programmer...I can't even count the number of hours I have to write workarounds for things that don't work or aren't supported in IE that are pretty basic for other modern browsers these days.

Last edited:

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Can these courses turn a guy with no clue with what he is going, into a pro if he works hard?
Well it depends. Could going out and playing golf every day for 5 years turn you into Tiger Woods(pre collapse?) Would you be able to become Steph Curry if you went outside and shot 3 pointers 8 hours every day like it was your job? Of course not. You have to have natural ability first and the natural ability for programmers is being able to solve problems and understand concepts to see the bigger picture of what you are building, and the ability to think analytically.

Without those abilities, yeah you could learn but you just wouldn't be any good at it because you'd lack the natural talent for developing your skills past a certain level. I guess I'd say without the talent you might be one of these dudes in the NBA D-Leagues trying to get a 10 day contract to hope you stick with a team...

Last edited:

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
well

I look at things from a website development firm owner and project manager. Not someone hiring for Oracle.

And if you're learning how to program and you're not going to MIT or Standford, you're not going to be programming at Oracle.

You are looking at things from the standpoint of a hiring manager. I'm looking at things from the standpoint as a project manager. I look at 500-600 jobs a day I know what's out there more than you do.

http://prntscr.com/gaia8c

This is a core PHP project actually another $2,000 added to this as we did some work outside of this platform.; I sell one of these a day in PHP. I see 20-30 of these a day. No one gives a **** what language preforms better, we're putting food on the table. If you want to consistently put food on the table, learn PHP.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well it depends. Could going out and playing golf every day for 5 years turn you into Tiger Woods(pre collapse?) Would you be able to become Steph Curry if you went outside and shot 3 pointers 8 hours every day like it was your job? Of course not. You have to have natural ability first and the natural ability for programmers is being able to solve problems and understand concepts to see the bigger picture of what you are building, and the ability to think analytically.

Without those abilities, yeah you could learn but you just wouldn't be any good at it because you'd lack the natural talent for developing your skills past a certain level. I guess I'd say without the talent you might be one of these dudes in the NBA D-Leagues trying to get a 10 day contract to hope you stick with a team...
i'm not trying to get in a pissing contest but i'm trying to give this dude real world pragmatic advice. this ain't the ****ing NBA lol.

is he ever going to work for Oracle or Google? probably not. Can he make a damn good living? absolutely. that's all that matters here.

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i'm not trying to get in a pissing contest but i'm trying to give this dude real world pragmatic advice. this ain't the ****ing NBA lol.

is he ever going to work for Oracle or Google? probably not. Can he make a damn good living? absolutely. that's all that matters here.
That is real world advice. I told him he could get a job at it and be one of the dudes writing bad code and kind of not being very good at it if he doesn't have the talent for it. And trust me there are plenty of those people working at places...Dudes who memorized bubble sorts and other interview questions without a clue as to what's going on.

I'm not saying he is this way at all. He might very well be a more analytically driven person than I am and might end up as a better programmer than me. Who knows?

My advice is simply if you aren't that good at it, you probably should find something you are good at and passionate about. If he finds that he is with programing than by all means I say go for it. If not than all I'm saying is you are going to have limited potential for growth.

There are a lot of people who don't enjoy programming that just do it for the money. Dudes that don't want to learn new programming constructs or keep up with languages, frameworks, etc. Dudes that still use techniques from 15 years ago as if all programming knowledge ended in 2002. Don't be one of those dudes.

My thought is someone should know if they are an analytical thinker or not and should know if this is going to be up their alley

Last edited:

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You want some "real world advice" lol? All these cryptocurrencies that are working or going to ico, they have to be mined. Basically you turn your PC into a mining pc and u get crypto in return. The MPoS that runs all this ****? Node.js the language you ****ted on lol

And no one knows it lol **** is practically a liscence to print money.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think relevant language experience depends where you are located. I am surprised to see php is popular in places like where BB does business. North east USA it seems to be javascript frameworks, as well as python in many cases. In enterprise, java seems to be popular mostly because its been around for a while. Newer business seem to like JS for the front end ( react and angular) and node for the backend. Companies on angel list can't seem to fill node positions, but often these are full stack positions that require some front end and some dev ops even.

I finally managed to get a proper programming role, and have outlined how I did it in other threads on this forum. My new manager told me last week that I "should have just started" at the role I was just promoted to. How I got there was to pick something and build it. The ultimate goal for me is to free lance/ sell higher priced jobs to entrepreneurs in the area. I figured if I knew about web apps ( I do rails, and some react stuff) , that I could pick one framework and know how to build something and try to find work around that. Maybe its a good strategy, but it will probably need improvement as I get closer to being able to handle real work and have the credentials to convince someone to pay me!

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
BB question about your crypto jobs - what specifically do they often want to achieve? Do they want to build out the source code for their own distributed ledger? Do they want infrastructure to actually perform said ICO and develop their own CC in house? After looking at BTC source code for a bit, it seems like you need a few solid C developers and some cloud/other infrastructure to put something in place...but basically its building a distributed system.