Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Florida and Missouri Recon Mission

needimprovement250

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Next month, I’m gonna be going on what Aaron Clarey describes as a recon mission to see if a place is a suitable place to move to. The area I currently live in and was born and raised in is extremely expensive to the point that I have not been able to move out of my parents house even though I’m 30 and that is really holding back my personal growth and development. My sister and her fiancé just bought a house in this area and they paid over $800K for a small 72 year old house that doesn’t even have a garage. I can’t bring myself to pay so much for so little and sign up to always have finances be a struggle since the cost of living is so high. I know politics are not allowed to be discussed here, but I also wanted to add that I live in a blue state and don’t agree with the political climate, so I want to relocate to a red state.

My top two choices are currently Florida and Missouri, I used to have Wyoming as my top choice but it isn’t anymore since I found out that wages are awful there and the state also isn’t good for the career option I’m pursuing. I am going to be driving so that I can also see other states along the way to see if there’s anywhere that I like even more than Florida and Missouri. I have been to both of those states already and liked them both, I know that wages are still an issue in both of those two as well since Florida has long been known as a lower wage state and Missouri isn’t much better since my dad told me the other day that my cousin lives there and he only makes $16/hour as a firefighter.

Are there any areas in those states you guys can recommend that I check out? I like the gulf coast side of Florida and the Kansas City area in Missouri.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Why would anyone move to Florida with the massive insurance increases lately and more and more insurance companies pulling out of the state driving up prices constantly?

It's only going to continue getting worse.

needimprovement250

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Why would anyone move to Florida with the massive insurance increases lately and more and more insurance companies pulling out of the state driving up prices constantly?

I’m sure native Floridians see that as a blessing in disguise because it could slow down the inbound moves to the state. Like I said, I’m already in a high cost of living area, so I’m used to high insurance rates.

NoBiscuits

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I've done the same thing before with success. Same age, same reason, same strategy.
The recon mission has two phases: remote and in person.

In person:
Avoid all major cities as waypoints, except maybe for fun. All of your good destinations are smaller cities / large towns (50,000 - 100,000 people) or possibly smaller townships (<20,000) that rest in between them, usually not on major highways.
Do a driving tour from planned waypoints, but if an area is appealing, go the long way between points, stopping in at random towns along the way. You may discover places you like that you didn't spot in the remote phase.
Budget an extra day of time for spontaneous destinations and driving lesser known routes.
Book all hotels a few hours before sleep so you don't have to waste time driving to a central point.
HotelTonight is a good app for last minute hotel bookings. The best way to determine if an unknown town is safe to sleep in is the demographics section of its wikipedia entry.
Don't stop too frequently. Carry enough food throughout the day in your car. You will be driving a LOT and it will always feel like there's not enough time.
By visiting many areas and taking notes on them, you'll find that some were too unmemorable, making the decision easier.
Keep moving if you can. Chances are, if you find a general area you like, you'll naturally spend a lot of time there. If you end up really liking a spot (eg. Gulf coast), then you'll probably spend a whole day on just that general location, driving through 20+ towns or 10+ small cities.
Your time out there is more valuable than money. If you can take extra days off for these trips, do it. Minimum 2-3 days per state if you're already set on a particular state.
With more time, you can visit the areas you're not sure about to either create contrast, re-enforce your previous preference, or possibly discover something unexpected.
Look for people in their 30s with kids outside. It's a healthy sign. If there are almost no children around, that area may not have a future.
People jogging, riding bikes, play sports, etc. is a good sign of health and ambition. It's winter, so there's less of it. But look out for it. The attitude of the town could mean the difference between achieving what you want in your career / ife or kind of just doing enough to be acceptable and that's it (Red America tends to do the latter, unforunately).
You'll know whether you like an area or not right away. It's more of a numbers game, so hit as many towns or cities on your tour as you can. Sometimes all it takes to make a decision is driving in the downtown area. If you really one spot, you'll have more time to explore when you find it because the "meh" options were blazed though.
Now is a bad time to do this because it gets dark early, fyi. Daylight is a scarce resource for this kind of recon mission and will limit you more than you anticipate.
Always drive with 50%+ gas. If you go below half a tank, treat that like it's nearly empty. Prices vary wildly from state to state. If it's cheaper in Georgia than Florida, it's worth the time to stop and fill up before entering Florida.
If you end the tour with extra time, then it's better to spend it on revisting areas you will probably settle in instead of going home.
The closest big city is worth at least a quick drive through, as the closest big city will inevitably shape the character of where you settle (eg. upstate NY hates NYC and vice versa, so there is tension and rivarly between them even though the city is far away).
It's generally a waste of time to stop and eat at local restaurants. Just get McDonalds or eat food in your car when you can. Who cares if you don't get the recommended 8-9 hours of sleep. Skip a shower if you need to. Don't bother with exercise routines, business calls, or whatever else. You'll probably pee outside in a bush at some point. You're on a mission and time will fly, especially in winter. So do it once, and do it right.

Remote:
Pick and save as many waypoints as you can into google maps. Overplan this and expect that some cities you'll drive into and immediately feel that it's not the right place for you.
Try to plan both types of days where you either have 5-6 general waypoints with a lot of flexibility or a day where you have 20+ small waypoints that can be blazed through. Budgetting an extra day of time helps in case you want to plan a new day on the fly.
Try to plan waypoints going around the state in a big circle, where the end leads to big highways that are easy to return home on. Make it a very loose map, just so you have some general direction, but budget time such that you can go off this route to investigate an unexpected place further.
Use geography to pick waypoints. Many nice places can only be found by looking at a map, seeing a nice river, open fields, beach, cliff, etc. and visiting it. You won't find these places if you're browsing through statistics.
The racial dot map is your friend.
Election overlay maps are helpful as well.
Areas that look good on paper might be awful when you get there (eg. one place looked great remotely and was top on the list, but visiting it was depressing and I could tell it was just old people living there who were at the end of their days - I left within an hour).
Unforunately, any up and coming area that's youthful, vibrant, and wealthy will almost always be blue. Younger generations tend to go red because the current regime has not been working out for them.
Swing towns that turned red in 2016-present are usually good because the honest truth is that in the 90s-2008 blue America was much healthier, active, and wealthier while red America was mostly unambitious and stagnating.
Avoid all articles. Use sources like Bureau of Labor Statistics, real estate websites, or Glassdoor and dig around yourself. If an area is listed in articles as a good destination in general, it may end up just drawing the wrong people to it. Your role in this is more of an explorer rather than a gold rusher. The harder it is to find, the less midwits there will be. If something is already listed as #1 for a resource, then chances are the resource will already be saturated by the time you get there.
Keep all digital resources on hand in advance. eg. all offline maps downloaded, hotel app downloaded and account made, wikipedia or other sources already bookmarked, separate photo album, etc. Stuff needs to work and be reliable when you get there. You'll likely be sitting in your car for an hour researching an unexpected town that you discovered and liked, and that's a bad time to realize you forgot to refill your mobile data. Little things like that.

Last edited:

NoBiscuits

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score

Then please suggest something OP could work with instead of just shooting the idea down in its infancy.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I’m sure native Floridians see that as a blessing in disguise because it could slow down the inbound moves to the state. Like I said, I’m already in a high cost of living area, so I’m used to high insurance rates.
Dude, nobody sees paying 10K in home insurance premiums or more as any type of blessing, trust me.

NoBiscuits

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Midwest has relatively low costs. I'd start there.
He said he's already set on Florida or Missouri after doing his own research. Judging by his posts, the area he lives in now is unbearable, so I don't think the price of one bill that he likely won't start paying for years is going to be a dealbreaker.

Why not respect his judgement on Florida or Missouri? It sounds like he put careful thought into them. Why immediately dismiss his goals and tell him to start over from scratch while also proving him very, very little to go off of?

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
He said he's already set on Florida or Missouri after doing his own research. Judging by his posts, the area he lives in now is unbearable, so I don't think the price of one bill that he likely won't start paying for years is going to be a dealbreaker.

Why not respect his judgement on Florida or Missouri? It sounds like he put careful thought into them. Why immediately dismiss his goals and tell him to start over from scratch while also proving him very, very little to go off of?
What's he asking for opinions for if I am just supposed to be a "yes man"?

NoBiscuits

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
What's he asking for opinions for if I am just supposed to be a "yes man"?
He's asking for area recommendations in Florida and Missouri. He gives his initial preferences of the Gulf area and the Kansas City area and asks for more intel on them. I don't have that specific information, but I've done recon before. So I responded with that.

OP: "Does anyone have any salad recipes? Something with tomatoes or beans is ideal. I also have extra croutons."
:up::) "Yes, here's one for chickpea salad. I also have a good caesar recipe for the croutons."
:up::) "No, but here's a thousand island dressing recipe that goes good with tomatoes."
:up::) "No, but my cousin sells homemade salad bowls and cutlery, check him out at his storefront."
:down::mad: "Ugh. Why would you want to eat a salad?"

Black Widow Void

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Larger cities in FL aren't bad but If you move to Florida, be sure that it's not located around a retirement community.
Also speaking of Florida, avoid rural areas. I can't be more serious about this than any posting that I've made. Don't believe me? If anyone is doing the personals, do a 15 mile radius search for zip code 32626. You will not see less desirable women any where else!

ManFromTartarus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Florida has its issues, but to offset that they have a lot of things to offer, especially if you appreciate warm climates and the outdoors / ocean. For someone like me that into fishing and music as much as women, it would have some appeal.

As for Missouri, unless you plan to live the rural life I don't see a lot of benefits as the metro areas of Kansas city & St Louis have some real drawbacks, crime especially.

My 2cents is that it's good to focus and narrow down your search choices but don't limit yourself, as there are probably some other good choices in the USA to consider.

needimprovement250

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I've done the same thing before with success. Same age, same reason, same strategy.
The recon mission has two phases: remote and in person.

In person:
Avoid all major cities as waypoints, except maybe for fun. All of your good destinations are smaller cities / large towns (50,000 - 100,000 people) or possibly smaller townships (<20,000) that rest in between them, usually not on major highways.
Do a driving tour from planned waypoints, but if an area is appealing, go the long way between points, stopping in at random towns along the way. You may discover places you like that you didn't spot in the remote phase.
Budget an extra day of time for spontaneous destinations and driving lesser known routes.
Book all hotels a few hours before sleep so you don't have to waste time driving to a central point.
HotelTonight is a good app for last minute hotel bookings. The best way to determine if an unknown town is safe to sleep in is the demographics section of its wikipedia entry.
Don't stop too frequently. Carry enough food throughout the day in your car. You will be driving a LOT and it will always feel like there's not enough time.
By visiting many areas and taking notes on them, you'll find that some were too unmemorable, making the decision easier.
Keep moving if you can. Chances are, if you find a general area you like, you'll naturally spend a lot of time there. If you end up really liking a spot (eg. Gulf coast), then you'll probably spend a whole day on just that general location, driving through 20+ towns or 10+ small cities.
Your time out there is more valuable than money. If you can take extra days off for these trips, do it. Minimum 2-3 days per state if you're already set on a particular state.
With more time, you can visit the areas you're not sure about to either create contrast, re-enforce your previous preference, or possibly discover something unexpected.
Look for people in their 30s with kids outside. It's a healthy sign. If there are almost no children around, that area may not have a future.
People jogging, riding bikes, play sports, etc. is a good sign of health and ambition. It's winter, so there's less of it. But look out for it. The attitude of the town could mean the difference between achieving what you want in your career / ife or kind of just doing enough to be acceptable and that's it (Red America tends to do the latter, unforunately).
You'll know whether you like an area or not right away. It's more of a numbers game, so hit as many towns or cities on your tour as you can. Sometimes all it takes to make a decision is driving in the downtown area. If you really one spot, you'll have more time to explore when you find it because the "meh" options were blazed though.
Now is a bad time to do this because it gets dark early, fyi. Daylight is a scarce resource for this kind of recon mission and will limit you more than you anticipate.
Always drive with 50%+ gas. If you go below half a tank, treat that like it's nearly empty. Prices vary wildly from state to state. If it's cheaper in Georgia than Florida, it's worth the time to stop and fill up before entering Florida.
If you end the tour with extra time, then it's better to spend it on revisting areas you will probably settle in instead of going home.
The closest big city is worth at least a quick drive through, as the closest big city will inevitably shape the character of where you settle (eg. upstate NY hates NYC and vice versa, so there is tension and rivarly between them even though the city is far away).
It's generally a waste of time to stop and eat at local restaurants. Just get McDonalds or eat food in your car when you can. Who cares if you don't get the recommended 8-9 hours of sleep. Skip a shower if you need to. Don't bother with exercise routines, business calls, or whatever else. You'll probably pee outside in a bush at some point. You're on a mission and time will fly, especially in winter. So do it once, and do it right.

Remote:
Pick and save as many waypoints as you can into google maps. Overplan this and expect that some cities you'll drive into and immediately feel that it's not the right place for you.
Try to plan both types of days where you either have 5-6 general waypoints with a lot of flexibility or a day where you have 20+ small waypoints that can be blazed through. Budgetting an extra day of time helps in case you want to plan a new day on the fly.
Try to plan waypoints going around the state in a big circle, where the end leads to big highways that are easy to return home on. Make it a very loose map, just so you have some general direction, but budget time such that you can go off this route to investigate an unexpected place further.
Use geography to pick waypoints. Many nice places can only be found by looking at a map, seeing a nice river, open fields, beach, cliff, etc. and visiting it. You won't find these places if you're browsing through statistics.
The racial dot map is your friend.
Election overlay maps are helpful as well.
Areas that look good on paper might be awful when you get there (eg. one place looked great remotely and was top on the list, but visiting it was depressing and I could tell it was just old people living there who were at the end of their days - I left within an hour).
Unforunately, any up and coming area that's youthful, vibrant, and wealthy will almost always be blue. Younger generations tend to go red because the current regime has not been working out for them.
Swing towns that turned red in 2016-present are usually good because the honest truth is that in the 90s-2008 blue America was much healthier, active, and wealthier while red America was mostly unambitious and stagnating.
Avoid all articles. Use sources like Bureau of Labor Statistics, real estate websites, or Glassdoor and dig around yourself. If an area is listed in articles as a good destination in general, it may end up just drawing the wrong people to it. Your role in this is more of an explorer rather than a gold rusher. The harder it is to find, the less midwits there will be. If something is already listed as #1 for a resource, then chances are the resource will already be saturated by the time you get there.
Keep all digital resources on hand in advance. eg. all offline maps downloaded, hotel app downloaded and account made, wikipedia or other sources already bookmarked, separate photo album, etc. Stuff needs to work and be reliable when you get there. You'll likely be sitting in your car for an hour researching an unexpected town that you discovered and liked, and that's a bad time to realize you forgot to refill your mobile data. Little things like that.
This was very detailed and informative, thanks a lot for sharing all of this! I’m definitely gonna bookmark what you said and use it as a guide on this mission.

needimprovement250

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks everyone who replied and shared their advice. Originally I was supposed to go this month but after doing some budgeting and reviewing my finances, I decided to reschedule the recon mission for spring. I would have come back completely broke and possibly even struggled to afford everything I needed for the recon mission if I went this month, not to mention that I might have had to drive through bad weather like snow storms on my way to Missouri at this time of year. So instead I’ve been spending this time leading up to spring making money and getting bills paid so that I will for sure be able to afford everything I need to go and will not be broke when I get back.

needimprovement250

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Florida has its issues, but to offset that they have a lot of things to offer, especially if you appreciate warm climates and the outdoors / ocean. For someone like me that into fishing and music as much as women, it would have some appeal.

As for Missouri, unless you plan to live the rural life I don't see a lot of benefits as the metro areas of Kansas city & St Louis have some real drawbacks, crime especially.

My 2cents is that it's good to focus and narrow down your search choices but don't limit yourself, as there are probably some other good choices in the USA to consider.
Yeah Florida has plenty of activities and things to do, so it wouldn’t be a boring place to live. I’m trying to get into agriculture as a career, and Florida has a great climate for growing plants.

Missouri would definitely be a more rural life because I wouldn’t want to live in Kansas City, probably like 45 mins away from it, so that could get boring. Missouri also doesn’t have as good of a growing climate as they have cold winters with snow. It’s been below 0 there as of lately.

I agree that its good to keep an open mind to find other areas that could also be good. A few years ago, I was almost set on moving to Cheyenne, Wyoming until I visited Florida and Missouri and liked them better.