Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Fight Club?

balla

Don Juan
Reaction score
I really don't understand why so many ppl like this movie so much. It has like a cult following and I didn't think it was that special. It has a unique idea I'll give it props for that I hate it when hollywood spues out basically the same movie with a different title. But I though it was just like a glorified frat with goals set on destruction.

I don't see how its DJ material either. I mean only girl you see Brad Pitt/Durden get with is that nasty chick. I guess it shows the don't give a **** attitude and how AFC guys can be, even towards other guys, everyone on Durdens jock.

I dunno I just don't see why so many ppl are so passionate about it. Thoughts?

Hot Ice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You got it COMPLETELY wrong.

I STILL can get new, great things out from it when I rewatch it.

Spike_the_cowboy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It is a masterpiece. Watch it again.

:cool:

jason86

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Hot Ice
You got it COMPLETELY wrong.

I STILL can get new, great things out from it when I rewatch it.
What things are they?

runner10_13

Don Juan
Reaction score
Fight Club is one of my fav. movies of all time. It is great

balla

Don Juan
Reaction score
ok so how about you tell me what I am appearently missing?

WBAFC

Don Juan
Reaction score
balla, your missing the entire point. It's not about that great twist at the end. It's about how man, has slowly been becoming more womanised. We aren't following our gene's because society expects us not to. There was actually a discussion about this I remember reading a while ago. Anyway watch it again, great movie.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by balla
I really don't understand why so many ppl like this movie so much. It has like a cult following and I didn't think it was that special. It has a unique idea I'll give it props for that I hate it when hollywood spues out basically the same movie with a different title. But I though it was just like a glorified frat with goals set on destruction.

I don't see how its DJ material either. I mean only girl you see Brad Pitt/Durden get with is that nasty chick. I guess it shows the don't give a **** attitude and how AFC guys can be, even towards other guys, everyone on Durdens jock.

I dunno I just don't see why so many ppl are so passionate about it. Thoughts?
Balla I couldnt agree more. It is a unique concept, far superior to most of the repetative junk hollywood spews out!!!

HOWEVER, there is NO DJ material in that movie. Tyler is a rude arrogant dikc, who treats his ONE dirty ho like sh*t. He has no respect for anything and lives in a dirty little shack!! He is a no hoper, like any other junkie you see around.

The kids on this board love him so much, because they dont have much self confidence, and they think if they can just not give a fukc about anything like Tyler, they have made it in life. No disrepsect to anyone personally.

balla

Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Fight Club?

Originally posted by CLOONEY
Balla I couldnt agree more. It is a unique concept, far superior to most of the repetative junk hollywood spews out!!!

HOWEVER, there is NO DJ material in that movie. Tyler is a rude arrogant dikc, who treats his ONE dirty ho like sh*t. He has no respect for anything and lives in a dirty little shack!! He is a no hoper, like any other junkie you see around.

The kids on this board love him so much, because they dont have much self confidence, and they think if they can just not give a fukc about anything like Tyler, they have made it in life. No disrepsect to anyone personally.
haha glad you put it a little more bluntly than I did.haha

I don't know about guys being more womanised. I can see where it portrays the lead guy as real superficial and caring about pointless **** in life ie all the **** in his apt. And how not giving a **** can turn his life around.

But American Beauty does a much better job showing that point. Now that is a good movie.

And I didn't mention the "great" twist at the end b/c I though that was pretty stupid and highly impossible...but lets not get into that.

I just want to know why so many guys obsess over this movie. I feel like they would be the same guys in the fight club idolizing Tyler Durden. You know the ones everyone looks at in the film and says "wtf what a bunch of psyhcos/losers". "in fight club we have no names" "rule 6-a in fight club..."

I mean if he could do it through the screen(ppl idolizing him) imagine how easy it would be to do in person.

Balla

ShortTimer

Banned
Reaction score
In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of l
What most people don't seem to understand about the movie is that the main character(s) Ed Norton / Brad Pitt are cult leaders who would destroy the modern world... they are the BAD GUYS.

It would be like having a movie centering around Darth Vader, just because he's the protagonist doesn't mean he's not evil.

Microphone Fiend

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I like the movie and it deals more with internal struggles that people go through and how Edward Norton's character copes with it. I don't think it is quite the holy grail that most DJ's and PUA make it out to be, but it is a good movie nonetheless. One of my favorites also.

Oh and to understand the film a lil better, don't think of the plot alone, there are many symbolic things in the film. get under the main idea and you'll see much, much more.

Lt dan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i just noticed something about the movie i never noticed before. the whole taking the balls thing, i never saw the symbolism in that

phenom

Don Juan
Reaction score
This is my life, and it's ending one minute at a time

Bought the DVD and have watched it several times. I have also been watching bits and pieces that have really been inspiring (ie. Tyler's middle children of history speech and when he tells the store clerk to go chase his dream as a vetenarian).

I don't watch the movie for the fights and violence, I watch it because it has a really deep, though provoking message. Yes we men have lost our balls over the years. It is not our fault for the most part but we are responsible to ourselves to emrace our masculinity and be who we were meant to be, MEN.

The message I got from the movie is to not be a nice guy like Norton who is owned by all his material possessions. But to not be on the opposite end of the spectrum where Tyler is either. That is why Jack's manifestation of Tyler died in the end. Why Jack didn't die after shooting himself in the head and was capable of walking and talking, I don't know. But thats Hollywood and I don't care.

The point of the movie is to find your balance within yourself and let what truly does not matter, slide. Chase your dream and improve yourselves in evey way, fellas, and the women will come.

My three favorite quotes from Fight Club:

"Things you own, end up owning you."
"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes; working jobs we hate, so we can by sh*t we don't need."
"We're a generation of men raised by women; I'm wondering if a another women's really the answer we need."

This is a good website regarding the analysis of Fight Club and all its symbolism.
http://orr.justblow.us/slide.html

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A universe...where heartbreak and sadness have bee
Originally posted by balla
ok so how about you tell me what I am appearently missing?
The movie is NOT about women. That's what you don't get.

It's not about money, it's not about women, and it's not about the generally accepted idea of "success". It's about reclaiming your masculinity, about being who you WANT to be and doing what you WANT to do. It's about a bunch of men who have been brainwashed all their lives into feeding into a society that gives them nothing back.

Here's what you "don't get". You say that the only person anyone gets with is Tyler with the "nasty chick". What you missed is that Tyler doesn't give a **** about what YOU think is "nasty." That chick's don't-give-a-**** attitude TURNS HIM ON. Meaning he has no trouble getting chicks that turn him on. You're one of these people who's still seeking women for validation...because the goddam TV tells you that you're sh!t unless you're laying women, and hot women. And not just women YOU think are hot, but women who THEY tell you to think are hot.

The other thing you don't understand is just how far Ed Norton's character (Jack) has repressed his masculinity and his sexuality and his anger and his dark thoughts until they just built up into this alter-ego that explodes out of him at certain times. We're taught from birth to push aside a lot of the things that are deemed socially unacceptable. Some of them are genuinely harmful to us as people. But some of them (our masculine, animal traits) are part of who we are as humans. Society is desperate to repress these instincts because they disrupt its harmony.

Also at the end of the movie, Tyler doesn't die. You're thinking Tyler's dead, but Tyler isn't dead because Jack IS Tyler. Instead Jack finally "opens his eyes" to who he is inside and finds the balance between the "Jack" side and the "Tyler" side. He acknowledges his own mortality, his masculinity, his anger, his sense of betrayal, his desires for a better lifestyle than society offers him...and thus Tyler no longer serves a purpose.

People "idolize" the Tyler Durden character because there's a "Tyler" in every one of us dying to get out. But it's something we've tucked inside and hidden away all our lives. We're afraid that there's something "bad" inside of us, that our sexuality, our arrogance, our anger, our dominance, our desire to fight...that they all make us bad people and as much as we try to hide it, it's still there.

Seeing all of those "dark" emotions embodied in a single character and displayed as a hero or idol makes us all feel vindicated...it makes us all PROUD of that part of us and more willing to bring that part of us out, to balance the other side of us that we put up to blend in with society.

Yes, people take it to extremes. But if you sit there asking yourself, "How will this help me bang hot chicks," you're missing the point completely.

il_duce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
squirrels is totally right. And if you want to get the best summary of what the movie is really about, read the book. :D

I think that in 10-20 years, Fight Club will be regarded as probably the best movie of the '90s, if not among the 50 best movies ever made.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes good work squirells, that was very well written.

However I disagree when you say every man has a desire to fight.......I think every man does have a desire to fight, however it is not society hiding them back, it is themselves, because they are afraid of getting hurt. Simple as that.

After spending many years in a boxing gym and watching guys walk in all hard and sh*t, or even the shy guys, once u put most guys in the ring, you can see the fear in their eyes once they start being wopped around the ring.

Tyler is idolized because he is a gun, because hd doesnt give a fukc, and because he is a fake character. People dont have all these dark emotions inside of them (granted, some do), but generally people WISH they were a badazz, but when it comes time to be that badazz, they dont have the ballz. Its funny how some people overanalyse society with their philosophical views.

balla

Don Juan
Reaction score
fight club top 50 ever?? haha

ah an old post is revisted. I forgot about this. anyways...

squirrels nice post for the most part. Looks like I might have stuck a cord by commenting on your flick. I could feel the heat in some of those words you typed. Perhaps it was your "animal instincts".

The movie is NOT about women. That's what you don't get.

However I don't recall ever saying that I thought this movie was about picking up chicks. that much is obvious thats why I didn't ask why it wasn't about being a PUA. I said DJ.

It's about reclaiming your masculinity, about being who you WANT to be and doing what you WANT to do. It's about a bunch of men who have been brainwashed all their lives into feeding into a society that gives them nothing back.

Yeah I gathered this much I just summed it up by saying :
I guess it shows the don't give a **** attitude and how AFC guys can be.

You're one of these people who's still seeking women for validation...because the goddam TV tells you that you're sh!t unless you're laying women, and hot women. And not just women YOU think are hot, but women who THEY tell you to think are hot.

once again I'm not sure where you got this from...oh well. Couldn't be further from the truth...anyways

Instead Jack finally "opens his eyes" to who he is inside and finds the balance between the "Jack" side and the "Tyler" side.
but the question is how many ppl focus on this balanced middle ground and not just the "Tyler" Side after watching the movie? I'd say less than about 6% haha.

I think Clooney got it right as far as why ppl LOVE this movie:

The kids on this board love him so much, because they dont have much self confidence, and they think if they can just not give a fukc about anything like Tyler, they have made it in life.

simple as that really. I see what your saying too though squirrels and I think you explained your point in great detail and pretty well. It appears you have just dug A LOT deeper than I care to in your search for philosophical points in the movie and reasons why ppl like this film.

Course I know an old philosophy prof who could preach sound philosophical points behind the colors of ketchup and mustard too...

"If ppl look hard enough they can see almost anything"

anyways overall I thought it was a good flick, nothing special, and way too over the top/extreme but hey thats what sells movies right?

Balla

Sisko

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If for nothing else, this movie is good because it is orriginal,
thought provoking, directed very good and acted superbly.

Anyone take what they want ot of it.

CapiCrimini

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've never seen the Movie but I've read some summaries and manusricpts...

in the airplane from what I understand the script goes something like this...

There are three ways to make napalm.
One, mix equal parts of gasoline and
frozen orange juice...

Jack turns to see TYLER. Without turned to Jack, Tyler
continues:

TYLER
Two, equal parts gasoline and diet
cola. Three, dissolve kitty-litter
in gasoline until the mixture is
thick.

JACK
Pardon me?

Well If thats what he actually said he's wrong... You can also mix gasoline and styrofome... There are also other ways but styrofome(sp?) is the most effective for the reason it is much harder to put out then the above... though I've never tried kitty litter....and diet cola would seem to thin to make good napalm.

Anyway....I don't think It's that DJ... but then again I think Silence of the Lambs has DJ triats to it(Anthony Hopkins)