FIFA WORLD CUP - Official thread!

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, with defense such as Portugal has shown, I definitely rate them a strong chance to take it all. Their quality of goaltending gives them an advantage should a game go to penalty kicks.

But I do expect them to get tested much better now. England was controlling the play in a big way before Rooney was ejected.

Anybody can take it, although I agree with what Latinoman said about Italy's vulnerability to a ball-control game. They did look pretty bad against the USA.

Would be especially interesting if it comes down to penalty kicks with Germany vs. Portugal. Preparation vs. ability ~~~

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Adone said:
Last match we won 3-0, that is not defensive minded play..
The score does not justify the result. Italy just converted their opportunity. Italy is defensive minded, even though Lippi likes to say that Italian football has come forward from those days, it hasnt. I watch all Italian matches, and they are still the most boring side of the tournament. Portugal has played defensive under Scolari, and other sides such as Angola were defensive, but Italy is one of a kind. They STACK their defence. Every single man is behind the ball, they love their holding midfielders. Totti has played bad, but either way, Italy is the most defensive side in the world, and every single person who follows football on the planet knows that. That is why Italian football seems to be so dispised globally and why the premier league is so widely viewed in comparison to Serri A.

Italy has won a lot of games straight, well at least not lost in a lot of games straight, so what? Spain, Holland also had great streaks. Both went out in the round of sixteen. I dont think Italy will get past Germany IMHO. They will do well to shut down the German attack, but it comes down to a numbers game for me, eventually Germany will break through, and if not, I dont see the Italians beating Germany in a shootout, we all know their track records in shootouts. Italy has a small chance of scoring, and then shutting up shop as they always do. But I dont give them much of a shot, I may be wrong.

I am not hammering Italy because of the Australian defeat, they are just a team I have NEVER liked, due to their boring style of play. One day, if they do turn this around, I will support Italian football. Infact, there was a small stage I did follow Serri A (the time when Ronaldo and Recoba both played for Inter). But it has always bored me. In comparison to Spanish and especially English football leagues, Italian football just does nothing for me, hence my dislike for their national team. Infact, I actually think that Serri A is even faster than the national teams play, which says a lot.

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
CLOONEY said:
I am not hammering Italy because of the Australian defeat, they are just a team I have NEVER liked, due to their boring style of play. One day, if they do turn this around, I will support Italian football. Infact, there was a small stage I did follow Serri A (the time when Ronaldo and Recoba both played for Inter). But it has always bored me. In comparison to Spanish and especially English football leagues, Italian football just does nothing for me, hence my dislike for their national team. Infact, I actually think that Serri A is even faster than the national teams play, which says a lot.
Don't worry, I know you are not talking as an Australian supporter, but as soccer fan. I am the first to admit that our game is FU-CKING BORING. I could never watch Italy playing if I weren't an Italian supporter.
There's no doubt that Serie A is faster than the national teams, but it's just because foreign players like Kaka, Adriano and Shevchenko are in our teams, otherwise it would be even more boring.

Back to the topic, though: I think that Italy knows how to play good (again, have you watched Germany vs. Italy in March? It was an awesome match, and not only because we destroyed them), but a defensive mindset helps us to go through more easily.

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bonhomme said:
Yeah, with defense such as Portugal has shown, I definitely rate them a strong chance to take it all. Their quality of goaltending gives them an advantage should a game go to penalty kicks.

But I do expect them to get tested much better now. England was controlling the play in a big way before Rooney was ejected.

Anybody can take it, although I agree with what Latinoman said about Italy's vulnerability to a ball-control game. They did look pretty bad against the USA.

Would be especially interesting if it comes down to penalty kicks with Germany vs. Portugal. Preparation vs. ability ~~~

Concerning Portugal...they played without two of his best players (Red Cards couple games ago): Deco and defender Costinha. Add the fact that Cristiano Ronaldo was injured and played without practicing in the team the last few days and we can reach the following conclusion: They played handicaped against England...and STILL did enough to win.

One more thing...Portugal's coach is BRAZILIAN. He has won the last 12 World Cups GAMES! WON. That's impressive. He in fact has the RECORD in that area. How? Well, he took Brazil to the World Cup championship in 2002 and has won all the games with Portugal in this one. Impressive!

Some people are counting Portugal out. I'm not. I think they should be the favorites to win IF all those 3 playes play and are healthy. Their coach is a genius.

manbearpig

Don Juan
Reaction score
I think Portugal has a real shot too.

I'm just glad Brazil didn't make it. :D I dunno what it is I just don't like 'em. I suppose its a similar thing to why people dislike the Yankees in baseball, they win too much.

doctoroxygen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Latinoman said:
They played handicaped against England...and STILL did enough to win.
They played handicapped against a more handicapped England with no Rooney and no Beckham (though Lennon was a more than suitable replacement) and ten men and STILL had to win on penalties. Portugal did not impress me, and I hope France annihilate them.

seanchai

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Latinoman said:
France = Africans and couple guys from Western Hemisphere.

My point? That's not even a REAL French team. And they advanced to the top 16 due to "luck".
I don't really understand why people here think "African immigrant" means "not French". They are all French citizens, which means they have all lived in France for more than seven years. Barthez, Gallas, Sagnol, Abidal, Zidane, Ribery, and Henry were all born in France; Malouda and Thuram were born in French DOMs (i.e. French soil). That's 9 out of 11 starters. It's pretty racist to assume a black man can't be a true Frenchman.

Alittude

Don Juan
Reaction score
doctoroxygen said:
They played handicapped against a more handicapped England with no Rooney and no Beckham (though Lennon was a more than suitable replacement) and ten men and STILL had to win on penalties. Portugal did not impress me, and I hope France annihilate them.
What are you talking about no Beckham and no Rooney? Both were on more than half the match you fool they were taken off and sent off. Lennon did way more than Beckham was ever going to do and Rooney wasn't looking dangerous at all and Crouch probally did a better job. England have sucked all tournament but I blame it on the coach but Portugual did deserve to win.

Le Parisien

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
seanchai said:
I don't really understand why people here think "African immigrant" means "not French". They are all French citizens, which means they have all lived in France for more than seven years. Barthez, Gallas, Sagnol, Abidal, Zidane, Ribery, and Henry were all born in France; Malouda and Thuram were born in French DOMs (i.e. French soil). That's 9 out of 11 starters. It's pretty racist to assume a black man can't be a true Frenchman.
Exactly!!!

It's like saying American football "has nothing American, basically a bunch of Africans running around" juste because most players are black...:rolleyes:

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Le Parisien said:
Exactly!!!

It's like saying American football "has nothing American, basically a bunch of Africans running around" juste because most players are black...:rolleyes:
It's not exactly like that. Most Afro-american families have been living in the States for more than 100 years, while Zidane's parents, for example, used to live in Algeria, if I don't mistake myself.

What most people don't understand is that those guys consider themselves as fully French, not as "sons of foreign immigrants".

I'm not saying that it's wrong that they are allowed to play for their State, I'm just saying that it's obviously an advantage for France to have such a lot of immigrants.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The closer the match gets, the more I give Italy a chance.

Frings is missing, and wasnt it the Italians who came up with pics of Frings to get him put out of the match with them? ha ha, fairs fair I guess, just funny how they are trying to do anything to get an edge! (Although with Nesta still missing, it evens it up a bit). Frings will be a great loss to the German side, he is a very good holding midfielder and controls it all from deep.

Man, I cant wait for next season though and the WC hasnt even finished yet! Will be interesting to see how Real do without Zizou, how Arsenal do, and how Chelsea do with Ballack and Schevchenko (cant wait to see what formation they play and who they drop to slot these two guys in)!

Just a question to you guys who love their football, Adone, Shez etc, who do you think is the best player of the last era, say 15 years or so? I know its a very subjective question and multiple men could take the honour, but whats your view? I would say Ronaldo, Zidane and Ronaldinho are the best Ive seen in their primes. Ronaldo was absolutely devestating back in his day, Ronaldinho still has a bit to go to hit their level for me (although he does have the most control on the ball I have ever seen, he can do absolutely anything with it)! Only thing he may be missing for me is strength, he still seems a bit small to me. I would give the award to Zidane, I think he is incredible. And I think I read an article about him lately from many experts of the sport, saying he revolutionised the way the midfield was operated. Opinions?

Taviii

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
CLOONEY said:
who do you think is the best player of the last era, say 15 years or so?
As you can see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Player_of_the_Year

Ronaldo and Zidane won it 3 times each. Ronaldinho just 2 times until now.

I would say: Paolo Maldini, incredible carrier. Staying at such a high level for so long. None of the ones you mentioned did that:

Ronaldo had an explosive youth but still has to be good at his age and for the
years too come, but now he looks mediocre.

Zidane started to shine relatively late, about 1998, I remember that after winning the World Cup with France he was accused by the Juve people that he doesn't give his full potential for Juve, but he gives 110% for France. He still shines though.

Ronaldinho was a good player until he transferred to Barca, only then he started shining. If he plays how he has in the last 2 years (excluding this WC) he has the chance to become maybe the greatest player of all time!

Maldini won the Serie A the first time at 20, and the last time at 36, 7 times in total.

The UCL first time at 21 and the last time in 2004 at 36, 4 times in total.

He had 726 appearances in the maybe the toughest league in the world.

Maybe he wasn't as good as Ronaldo, Zidane and Ronaldinho, but he was pretty close to them. What really makes him great is that he did so for 16-17 years. As far as I know Ronaldinho could stop playing as good as he did in the last 2 seasons. He has a lot to prove before being a true great!

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
CLOONEY said:
The closer the match gets, the more I give Italy a chance.

Frings is missing, and wasnt it the Italians who came up with pics of Frings to get him put out of the match with them? ha ha, fairs fair I guess, just funny how they are trying to do anything to get an edge! (Although with Nesta still missing, it evens it up a bit).
We lost De Rossi for something like this, so why shouldn't they lose Frings? It's a matter of justice, not of getting an edge. Also, we got our best player Totti disqualified in the Europeans and we didn't make it to the Second Round. It wouldn't be fair for us to have our players disqualified while other teams get no punishment for the same stuff.

CLOONEY said:
Just a question to you guys who love their football, Adone, Shez etc, who do you think is the best player of the last era, say 15 years or so? I know its a very subjective question and multiple men could take the honour, but whats your view?
Very hard question. Personally, I wouldn't give Ronaldo a chance, since he played at his best just a couple of seasons and never did anything extraordinary. Ronaldinho has been on the scene for just 3 years, he's still to young to be considered the best player of 90's-2000's.
Zidane would be a good choice, but also Roberto Baggio, ROMARIO, Gianfranco Zola, Klinsmann, Shearer and Paolo Maldini.

Maybe the best was really Zidane though, but who can say for sure?

Jerry Maguire

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Zidane for sure.

Can't wait til Germany v. Italy :p
Italy should have a comfortable game if they have Gattuso/other muffling Ballack's passes.
And with a return to form, the weak German centre halves won't have a chance against Luca Toni.
Seriously, with Germany sticking to a 4-4-2 I think Italy can play to their strengths - giving Pirlo plenty of time on the counter-attack to pick out Toni/Gilardino (if he's starting).
Forza Italia

doctoroxygen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Absolutely astounding play. My jaw is still dropped. I didn't give Italy enough credit.

Mitch_Mustain

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha Ha Ha **** Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tears Are Rolling Down My Eyes!!!!!!!!!!!! **** Yes!!!!!!!!! Grosso!!!!! Ahhh Spectacular Game!!!!!!!

djbr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WHAT THE FVCK?

Dude, ITALY KICKED MAJOR ASS!!!!

Poor Brazil, never going to win a world cup ever again!!!

THAT IS THE WAY IT'S MEANT TO BE PLAYED!

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I told you guys Italy would have made it to the final!!! We even was pretty unlucky this time, but we made it anyway!

Germany vs. Italy = 0 - 2!!!! (p.s.: my little brother said this would be the final score at lunch today)

seanchai

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I really want to rate Shearer as the best of the last fifteen years because there has really been no one like him on the ball in that time. But he never won anything with Newcastle and that means a lot to me. Probably the best Englishman in that time, but Maldini and Zidane I would rate higher and give Zidane the edge because he took the World Cup.