FIFA WORLD CUP - Official thread!

mahon83050

Banned
Reaction score
doctoroxygen said:
Germany and Poland have an interesting history together, that's all. It is ironic that Klose (Polish name, born in Poland, etc.) saves Germany, that's all.

ROONEY!!! :cuss:

Ronaldo is a ****y little sh!t. I hate Rooney after this, but if I was him, after I was sent off, I would've put my boot in Ronaldo's ugly little face.
Exactly, that is what Clooney fails to see.

Not only history, but the fact that they are neighbors.

Taviii

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Pure European semifinals :D

Brazil are the most overrated team, I'm glad they are out!

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
CLOONEY said:
Tomorrow I am going to post just how effective home ground advantage has been over the years. Not just to win the world cup, but for teams to perform also. The number of hosts that have made at least the semis and won the final since the beginning of the world cup is incredible. Nobody can deny home ground advantage (and biased calls are part of that advantage).
Actually, that's true, man. If I don't mistake myself, since the 70s in both European and World Cups, the host has ever reached AT LEAST the semis (apart from the US in 1994). What I was trying to say though, is that the host ALWAYS reaches the semis, but it's not sure that it wins or even gets to the Final (2002, 2000, 1996, 1994, 1990...), so Germany now has to fight really hard if they want to win against the other 3 teams (which, IMO, are all stronger than them, maybe even Portugal)

CLOONEY said:
A foul in the box, can either be let go, or given as a direct free kick. Never heard of a fowl in the box being given indirect in my life.............
Because it's very rare, since when someone does a tackle like that he usually hits the opponent's leg (or, at least, seems to) and that's a penalty. Anyway, it's a foul even if he doesn't hit the opponent's leg and that's called (in Italy, I don't know how it translates in English) "Dangerous Game Foul" and the punishment is an indirect free kick, even inside the box.
Listen guys, I know we've been lucky, because almost no referee even knows that rule or applies it, but the rule still exists and the Australian player was a complete idiot to tackle (with both legs straight) an Italian (diver, that is) inside the box at the last minute.

CLOONEY said:
Viera was bought up in Australia and played for Italy
I think you are talking about Vieri:) Anyway, he's not Australian, since he was born in Prato, close to where I live. He moved to Australia and spent his youth there, but then he went back to Italy, so he's born in Italy and has Italian parents, which makes him totally Italian.

AudiTy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Adone said:
If you are speaking about "recent" competitions, no. Argentina won in Italy (1990), Germany won in Mexico (1986), Brazil won in USA (1994) and Japan/Korea (2002) and Italy won in Spain (1982)... Good luck next time;)
I appreciate your attempt to be the all knowing, all singing, all dancing knowledgable guy in this thread, but no where did I mention "recent" World cups. I just said there was a lot of teams that have won as the host nation.

1930 World Cup - Uruguay
Winner: Uruguay

1934 World Cup - Italy
Winner: Italy

1966 World Cup - England
Winner: England

1974 World Cup - West Germany
Winner: West Germany

1978 World Cup - Argentina
Winner: Argentina

1998 World Cup - France
Winner: France

Not to mention Euro tournaments.

...oh yea,

Better luck next time?

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
AudiTy said:
I appreciate your attempt to be the all knowing, all singing, all dancing knowledgable guy in this thread, but no where did I mention "recent" World cups. I just said there was a lot of teams that have won as the host nation.

Which is something everybody already knows. However, if you are not talking about recent World Cups, why did you feel the need to reply to a post where it's explicitly said "if you are speaking about recent competitions, no"?:rock: <------ Me that sings and dances;)

AudiTy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Adone said:
Which is something everybody already knows. However, if you are not talking about recent World Cups, why did you feel the need to reply to a post where it's explicitly said "if you are speaking about recent competitions, no"?:rock: <------ Me that sings and dances;)
Well, because your original reply was valid, but then you said "better luck next time ;)", as if you proved me wrong, when infact it was you who added the "recent" qualifier. So my "luck" was perfectly intact, kthxbye. :up:

djbr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Taviii said:
Brazil are the most overrated team, I'm glad they are out!
So are we.

Seriously, WTF? Parreira is an idiot coach, Ronaldo sucks and all the fuzz around the guy (who is playing CR@P) was making me sick anyway.

ALL THE FVCKIN TEAM was TRAINED to put the ball on the foot of the guy, he just had to KICK IT TO SCORE and he still failed. Damn, I know if I see him on person now I would REALLY kick kis azz. DAMN!

The good players weren't allowed to do sh1t cause Ronaldo was meant to be the star. Pure cr@p.

Go Portugal! Scolari is the MAN. You can see the guys are playing the way it should be.

And I wonder why he was not the coach of Brazil again... it's hard for a guy who likes to lay down the law (and GOOD at it might I add) to deal with big egos like some players of Brazil.

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
AudiTy said:
Well, because your original reply was valid, but then you said "better luck next time ;)", as if you proved me wrong, when infact it was you who added the "recent" qualifier. So my "luck" was perfectly intact, kthxbye. :up:
Actually, the "luck" part was uncalled for, man.

Anyway what will the final ranking be IYO?

I say:

1. Italy
2. France
3. Germany
4. Portugal

Hopefully;)

Holland

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I hope the final will be: Germany - France and I don't really care who wins.
Loser Final: Italie beating Portugal.

Portugal has the most pathetic football ever. The only cool players are Miguel, Ricardo and C.Ronaldo. The rest should enter a drama performance with Louis Figo as the main character.

doctoroxygen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I say Germany wins the final over France. France have been playing out of their skins (I forgot Zidane could control the ball like that!) but Germany will win due to home advantage.

In order of quality of play for these final four teams, I'd say:

1. France
2. Germany
3. Italy
4. (FVCK) Portugal

Egoist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i am still blown away by how good france has been playing the last couple of days. Zidane is is just fvcking awesome, i really hope they win.

I am thinking germany/france for final, but i think italy has a good chance since they've been playing together as a team a lot better than say, brazil.

doctoroxygen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think Italy have been wholly unimpressive so far. Undoubtedly they have some talent, but their toughest test this tournament has been against the US :-/

MrS

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Portugal are not very good at all.

Italy Germany will be interesting.

Brazil in 2002 were too good.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
France V Germany final. Could go either way.

Portugal will beat Italy on penalties in a playoff for 3rd, 4th. Italy SUCKS in the shootout.

And yeah, Vieri, as you can see, my spelling of my posts is not the best.

Would post the stats, but dont got the book on me right now. Either way, home ground advantage is HUGE, and just because it doesnt mean they will win the final (nothing can make sure of that! Other than some Italian bribery), it helps a team immensly. Germany are going to be VERY hard to stop this WC!

And how about Zidane! That guy is simply breathtaking! Showed his entire arsenal of skill in that match, one of his best performances of all-time! He creates space where there is none, is strong, fast enough, incredible eye, reads the play perfectly, great ball skills, vision, has a shot, good at set peices! Who can ask for more! The big question is who will be the great of this era? Looks like its between Ronaldinho and Zidane! Although their time frames do not totally intersect with eachother. Ronaldo is the other possibility. The two men coming up who will be pushing Ronaldinhos crown are Messi and Robben I think.

Oh, and Scolari is the man! He must be a national hero back in Portugal! And with Deco returning, Im not totally convinced the French will beat them! Both Semi finals should be hard fought, although I just dont think Italy can do it with their defensive minded play. Germany is a forward moving machine this time around! Although hopefully Fringz plays!

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
CLOONEY said:
Both Semi finals should be hard fought, although I just dont think Italy can do it with their defensive minded play. Germany is a forward moving machine this time around! Although hopefully Fringz plays!

Last match we won 3-0, that is not defensive minded play. I think Lippi wanted Italy to play safe games, since he was pretty sure to reach the second round (Australia is another story), and to let Totti play without him suffering too much for his recent injury. Do you guys know that 75% of Italian mistakes have been made by Totti, who is also supposed to be our key player? Everyone, even Toni and Gilardino, who are forward players, have been passing the ball to Totti, in order to let him rehabilitate before the quarters.

Lippi is an awesome coach (although I can't really understand why he doesn't let Inzaghi play since the beginning of the match) and since he's been training our team, we NEVER lost a match (23 consecutive matches either won or drawn). We defeated Germany 4-1, when Germany had not injured players and we missed Gattuso and Zambrotta (the best italian players in this WC) beside Totti (have you seen his last match? he's recovering more and more from the injure he's been suffering until just a month ago).

Obviously, as you already said, this time there's a lot of pressure on both parts and Germany has the home ground advantage, but I wouldn't bet a single dollar on Germany (not that they are surely not gonna win, I just think that it's not a certain or even likely win).

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
France = Africans and couple guys from Western Hemisphere.

My point? That's not even a REAL French team. And they advanced to the top 16 due to "luck".

Italy sucks. They play well agains "agressive" teams, then literally sucks against teams that control the time (e.g. U.S., Australia).

Germany is pretty good. And Portugal has a consistent way of beating teams and I consider them a good team too. Literally, they are very hard to score on them.