Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Extremely Discouraged

Spade_1

Don Juan
Reaction score
I just got back from the gym and I've never been so discouraged.

After lifting for a month it turns out I'm weaker on the bench than when I started out. I used to be able to do my starting weight fairly easily and for the past week I've been needing a lot of help from my spotter on the same weight.

At first I thought I was just having an off day but this is now the 3rd time in a row this has happened.

What's even the point? I'm not getting any stronger or gaining mass. Reading this over I know it sounds like a b*tchy rant but yeah whatever.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
post your entire (honest) diet and workout. something is obviously not right.

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm guessing your diet needs changing or you're overtraining. As Alex said, post your diet and workout and I'm sure he'll suss your problem in no time.

Spade_1

Don Juan
Reaction score
Okay, well I'm doing Rippetoe's workout 3 times a week.

My Diet is awful I won't lie. I'll post today's diet. Btw, I'm 5'8.5 and 120 lbs.

Breakfast: Milk & Cereal- 230 Calories 10g protein

Lunch: Ham & Cheese Sandwich- 610 Calories (estimate) 29g protein
Iced Tea- 90 Calories

Snack: Milk- 110 Calories 8g protein

Pre-Workout Meal: Soy Burger- 100 Calories 18g protein

Post-Workout Meal: Whey Protein- 110 Calories 20g protein
1 Semi-Boiled Egg- 80 Calories 8g protein

Dinner: Bread (3)- 350 Calories 8g protein
Vegetables (okra)- 100 Calories 7.5g protein
Lentil Soup- 100 Calories 6g protein

Pre-Sleep Snack: Protein Bar- 210 Calories 14g protein

Total: 2090 Calories 128.5g protein

On days that I dont workout just cut out the pre/post meals. So a total would be like 1900 Calories and 82.5g protein. I know this is still terrible but I've actually been eating more and trying to fix my diet. When I started I ate like only 1600-1700 calories with only like 70g of protein. So I don't understand why I should go down.

green69

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Spade_1 said:
Total: 2090 Calories 128.5g protein
There's your problem. 3000 calories should be a reasonable goal, and you need more protein...about 1.5g per pound of body weight.

shaunuk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, you're not gonna gain mass without the calories+protein. Can't defy those laws of physics now :D

And some of your lifts going down..Rippetoe's programme is pretty intensive, squatting 3 times a week. With a crap diet you may be losing strength because your body doesn't have enough protein and calories to help you recover again. :)

-shaun

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Stalling happens, it's only a big deal if you're a total beginner and had a rapid nosedive. I had a sh!t first month on rippetoe and considered quitting, it turns out I just increased squat weight too fast.

Which lift are you stalling on? If you've made a lot of progress with it, you can sub it for a similar compound exercise that works the same muscles, thus improving it indirectly. From my experience on Rip, the worst exercise to stall on is squat, everything else is easy to temporarily sub.

And yeah, you gotta eat more protein. Don't count bread, that's garbage protein. Just up your meals, why are you eating 1 boiled egg? It would take the same amount of time to boil 4, so why not do that?

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Be honest,do you like the 'program' your on? I notice alot of people that don't like their workouts tend to forget the weights they were at and even go backwards. Do you feel like you should be doing different workouts or working out another way?

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Spade_1 said:
I just got back from the gym and I've never been so discouraged.

After lifting for a month it turns out I'm weaker on the bench than when I started out. I used to be able to do my starting weight fairly easily and for the past week I've been needing a lot of help from my spotter on the same weight.

At first I thought I was just having an off day but this is now the 3rd time in a row this has happened.

What's even the point? I'm not getting any stronger or gaining mass. Reading this over I know it sounds like a b*tchy rant but yeah whatever.
you're getting "lots of help from your spotter"

From this little info, I suspect:
* you're pusing yourself beyond failure on each workout
* your're overtraining
* you don't recover, so progress starts to decrease

What I suggest:
* stop asking your spotter to help, lift the weight yourself
* remove 30% of the weight
* start doing 5x5 with the same weight, add 5lbs each workout
* control your ego & be patient

Good luck.

Spade_1

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm going to do lighter weights without any help from the spotter and just try and go from there.

btw, the stalling is on the bench press

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Spade_1 said:
Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm going to do lighter weights without any help from the spotter and just try and go from there.

btw, the stalling is on the bench press
report back or put your training log online here. Easier for us to comment & advise.

Spade_1

Don Juan
Reaction score
I just got back from the gym. I went down 30% to 85 lbs and did six reps w/o spotter. Then went up 5lbs. for the next set and did another 6 reps at 90 lbs. Went up another 5lbs. to 95 and did six reps but on tht last rep i really had to push myself and just got it over.

You guys think next time I should start at 90 lbs and add 5 lbs to end with 100?

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Spade_1 said:
I just got back from the gym. I went down 30% to 85 lbs and did six reps w/o spotter. Then went up 5lbs. for the next set and did another 6 reps at 90 lbs. Went up another 5lbs. to 95 and did six reps but on tht last rep i really had to push myself and just got it over.

You guys think next time I should start at 90 lbs and add 5 lbs to end with 100?
start with 90, if 95 feels easy do 100, otherwise stay at 95..

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Spade_1 said:

If you can finish your sets with perfect form then it's time to add a little more weight.

Spade_1

Don Juan
Reaction score
Just did 95 6x3. Thanks for the help I think I'll be back on track pretty soon.