Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Expensive wine questions.

NealIRC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
1. Wine from grape colors.

It seems the top 5 or top 10 most expensive wines, all come from red grapes. How does the most expensive wines from dark blue or green grapes, compare?

2. Are there wines that younger people are into differently than older people? Any that women prefer more than men?

3. Can someone make a business where they buy cheap wine, store it for a few years, then sell it for more expensive? Who would buy it back, not the same business? If you try to sell it yourself, who can authenticate it?

Kotaix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
3. Can someone make a business where they buy cheap wine, store it for a few years, then sell it for more expensive? Who would buy it back, not the same business? If you try to sell it yourself, who can authenticate it?
For all intents and purposes, no. Cheap wine is made to be drank within a year or two of bottling. Most cheap wine comes from machine harvest grapes that have all kind of crap in them, including mice and caterpillars. LOTS of caterpillars.

You also need a climate controlled storage space to age wine properly and you probably wouldn't even recoup the energy costs with cheap crap.

You can probably make money doing this with more expensive wines, but you really have to know what you're doing. A lot of wineries jack up their prices in order to boost sales because people think that the more a wine costs, the better it is. There are a lot of bottles in the $20-$60 range which are all hype.

Sommeliers exist to provide the authentication service. But to be successful in your proposed business, that is the minimum level of knowledge you would need for yourself to start with.

NealIRC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For all intents and purposes, no. Cheap wine is made to be drank within a year or two of bottling. Most cheap wine comes from machine harvest grapes that have all kind of crap in them, including mice and caterpillars. LOTS of caterpillars.

You also need a climate controlled storage space to age wine properly and you probably wouldn't even recoup the energy costs with cheap crap.

You can probably make money doing this with more expensive wines, but you really have to know what you're doing. A lot of wineries jack up their prices in order to boost sales because people think that the more a wine costs, the better it is. There are a lot of bottles in the $20-$60 range which are all hype.

Sommeliers exist to provide the authentication service. But to be successful in your proposed business, that is the minimum level of knowledge you would need for yourself to start with.
Is cheap wine cheap also because it's young? That's the idea I'm getting at. Or are you saying expensive wine are automatically old?

Imo, 3 major factors to wine's expensiveness are the way it's harvested and location grown, then the variety of grape used. If you age them, the prices go up.

2rings

Banned
Reaction score
“Most cheap wine comes from machine harvest grapes that have all kind of crap in them, including mice and caterpillars. LOTS of caterpillars.”
Omg Whaaa? That is nasty

Kotaix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Is cheap wine cheap also because it's young? That's the idea I'm getting at. Or are you saying expensive wine are automatically old?

Imo, 3 major factors to wine's expensiveness are the way it's harvested and location grown, then the variety of grape used. If you age them, the prices go up.
Cheap wine is cheap because they cut corners at every turn and it's made in huge amounts. Cheap wine will not get better with age.

Expensive wine is expensive because of the labor involved. It's hand-made at every step of the way. Just because a wine is expensive, doesn't mean it will age well.

None of this has anything to do with a wine's ability to appreciate though. In order to turn a handsome profit you have to buy a couple dozen cases of a wine from a specific year in a specific region that is widely regarded as being spectacular and capable of sitting for at least a decade.

If you buy a bunch of two buck chuck and then try to sell it five years later for more than you paid for it, you're going to get laughed out of the building. And you're going to be stuck with a bunch of worthless garbage.

2rings

Banned
Reaction score
Cheap wine is cheap because they cut corners at every turn and it's made in huge amounts. Cheap wine will not get better with age.

Expensive wine is expensive because of the labor involved. It's hand-made at every step of the way. Just because a wine is expensive, doesn't mean it will age well.

None of this has anything to do with a wine's ability to appreciate though. In order to turn a handsome profit you have to buy a couple dozen cases of a wine from a specific year in a specific region that is widely regarded as being spectacular and capable of sitting for at least a decade.

If you buy a bunch of two buck chuck and then try to sell it five years later for more than you paid for it, you're going to get laughed out of the building. And you're going to be stuck with a bunch of worthless garbage.
Can you tell me how to select a great bottle of wine that is not overly expensive?

i like Cabernet Sauvignon

is it even possible to buy inexpensive wine without the problems hiding behind the scenes?

also what is the deal with Sulfites

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
become friends with one of those older ladies that work in a wine shop. They make good recommendations because they have been through alot of wine in their time.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A guy I grew up with has a wine import business. In the summers, he travels across France, and probably a few other places in Europe to taste and select wines for import. He lives in the US midwest.

Kotaix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Can you tell me how to select a great bottle of wine that is not overly expensive?

i like Cabernet Sauvignon

is it even possible to buy inexpensive wine without the problems hiding behind the scenes?

also what is the deal with Sulfites
If you can find it, Saviah cellars makes really great wines that aren't too expensive. They're out of the walla walla area. I've been out of the wine business for a while so I'm not super up to date on what is good.

the $15-$20 price point is likely to be made with a bit more care. but there are no guarantees. That said, I will still drink two buck chuck knowing what goes into it just like I'll still eat a hot dog.

Sulfites are pretty much required to stabilize wine. It prevents any microbial activity in the wine which would otherwise spoil it or even cause the bottle to explode. There are organic wines that don't use it, but they aren't any good and they don't last.

NealIRC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think it is undisputed that red and green grapes dominate the market more than blue grapes, but then are there any famous wines from dark blue grapes?

You would also think, that via supply and demand, if dark blue grapes are the rarest, then the most expensive wines should not be from red grapes, but dark blue grapes, but I guess that's not something we can control. I wonder how the most expensive wines from dark blue grapes compare to the red and green counterparts.

2rings

Banned
Reaction score
If you can find it, Saviah cellars makes really great wines that aren't too expensive. They're out of the walla walla area. I've been out of the wine business for a while so I'm not super up to date on what is good.

the $15-$20 price point is likely to be made with a bit more care. but there are no guarantees. That said, I will still drink two buck chuck knowing what goes into it just like I'll still eat a hot dog.

Sulfites are pretty much required to stabilize wine. It prevents any microbial activity in the wine which would otherwise spoil it or even cause the bottle to explode. There are organic wines that don't use it, but they aren't any good and they don't last.
Coolness. Thanks for the help

Any info on kosher wine? What is different with kosher, I wonder if the rabbis don’t look for caterpillars or mice
Yuck

Next month i fly back to Australia so maybe i can tune up my wine mojo while back home

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Due to the collapse of Argentina's currency, their wines are very inexpensive right now when purchased with anything other than the Argentinian peso.

2rings

Banned
Reaction score
Due to the collapse of Argentina's currency, their wines are very inexpensive right now when purchased with anything other than the Argentinian peso.
Yeah but who tf would want caterpillars and mice?
Yuck

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah but who tf would want caterpillars and mice?
Yuck
You don't even need grapes. You can make wine from the caterpillars themselves:

Kotaix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Coolness. Thanks for the help

Any info on kosher wine? What is different with kosher, I wonder if the rabbis don’t look for caterpillars or mice
Yuck

Next month i fly back to Australia so maybe i can tune up my wine mojo while back home
Kosher wine means that the ingredients have been approved by a rabbi and that it has only been made and touched by sabbath-observing jews.

2rings

Banned
Reaction score
Why don’t we see much New Zealand wines in the USA?
I am originally from Australia and plan to move back permanently this summer. My family owns property next to a vineyard in NZ and I may spend time in that region as well.

How is wine from NZ? Probably decent is my guess

kavi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wine once opened can appreciate over a few days. Cheap wine is ok, shiraz is a good grape, can be sweeter, also malbec can be in fashion. Cheap wine is ok, wine can be paired with tobacco, weed or coffee, it goes well, mixed with honey too or other natural sweeteners or used with sparking water to make a fizzy sweet drink.

I dont know about expensive wines i think a lot might be hype cos i think chmpagne and prosecco taste terrible. Also wine used to be drunk mostly diluted.

Otherwise mixed grapes at the lower end can do well too. Its really about how the wine ages over the few days once opened. There is a culture of drinking wine immediately once opened with just some aeration but i dont think thats enough.

2rings

Banned
Reaction score
Wine once opened can appreciate over a few days. Cheap wine is ok, shiraz is a good grape, can be sweeter, also malbec can be in fashion. Cheap wine is ok, wine can be paired with tobacco, weed or coffee, it goes well, mixed with honey too or other natural sweeteners or used with sparking water to make a fizzy sweet drink.

I dont know about expensive wines i think a lot might be hype cos i think chmpagne and prosecco taste terrible. Also wine used to be drunk mostly diluted.

Otherwise mixed grapes at the lower end can do well too. Its really about how the wine ages over the few days once opened. There is a culture of drinking wine immediately once opened with just some aeration but i dont think thats enough.
So you are saying open a bottle of red and let the thing sit a few days like that just without the cork

in what way does it improve after a few days of being left open?

Yeah i always dr it the second a bottle is opened

cool tip, thanks