Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Equipments for gaining muscles at home? Tips welcomed too.

HayashiST

Don Juan
Reaction score
Let's start off with a little context, based in Hong Kong.

I won't have access to the gym because the government just closed down every recreational facilities for 2 weeks, and I haven't taken the jab yet most likely won't. Which means no gym for me until they force the jab on me.

I just started lifting last month as part of my process to unplug, and to also "Do the work" if you know what I mean. Unfortunately I don't know what I am doing, so any input would be appreciated.

What other equipment should I purchase for a home gym setup? Space is somewhat an issue, max I can do is one of those benches and thats it. Door frames are also kinda worn and old so not sure if a doorway pull up bar is feasible. Don't want to fall and break my knees.

I currently have,
-Ez bar with some plates
-A few dumbbells, some adjustable some not
-Hand grips
-Push up bar
-Resistance bands
-An Ab wheel

Any input will be appreciated, thanks.

DonJuanjr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Get a squat rack like this:
1641582771420.png

And an adjustable bench with a preacher curl pad, leg extensions, and hamstring curl attachments like this:
1641583026665.png

You'll need to get yourself a straight bar also. With what you have and these items, you'll be able to make progress for a while. Assuming you have the weight to do so.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
All you need are heavy resistance bands. I recommend torrobands. They have been phenomenal. Arms have grown more from those than they ever did using traditional weights.

Much easier on the joints and as effective as free weights, or at least 95% as effective. Can easily pack them in a suitcase and take them wherever you travel as well.

HayashiST

Don Juan
Reaction score
Get a squat rack like this:
View attachment 7749

And an adjustable bench with a preacher curl pad, leg extensions, and hamstring curl attachments like this:
View attachment 7750

You'll need to get yourself a straight bar also. With what you have and these items, you'll be able to make progress for a while. Assuming you have the weight to do so.
Are there any smaller benches? Don't got the space unfortunately.

DonJuanjr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Are there any smaller benches? Don't got the space unfortunately.
Sure... Don't get one with the attachments. Though make sure it's adjustable. The attachments are for faster development with your legs, and not necessary. I started with similar equipment as you. First an ez bar that I used for squatting on two stools instead of a rack. A set of adjustable plate dumbbells, a door pull-up bar, and about 150 lbs in plates. I slowly increased what I had. It's unfortunate that I didn't sooner, as I'd be further along in my development otherwise.

Grounded eagle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I’d advise you to adjust your diet to match your body type and goals,first and foremost.Diet is the glue that holds everything together.Eat however you want and you’ll be met with little to no gains,frustration and failure.

If you’re trying to get bigger then you should consume high amounts of protein to facilitate muscle growth and carbs to fuel your workouts.

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Get a power rack/squat rack and/or a dip/pullup bar combo.

At the very least just get a damn barbell, plates, and a few sets of dumbells/kettlebells. You could also get a hex bar for deadlifts.

All you need are heavy resistance bands. I recommend torrobands. They have been phenomenal. Arms have grown more from those than they ever did using traditional weights.

Much easier on the joints and as effective as free weights, or at least 95% as effective. Can easily pack them in a suitcase and take them wherever you travel as well.
I don't see how resistance bands can replace barbell squats, barbell deadlifts, pullups, dips, overhead press, etc...

Last edited:

DonJuanjr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't see how resistance bands cannot replace barbell squats, barbell deadlifts, pullups, dips, overhead press, etc...
While I agree that resistance bands can't replace compound lifts. Unless one is a total beginner. For isolation exercises, they can create as good of a pump as free weight. I can get just as good of a pump on my triceps with doing band-push downs, as I can with doing dips. The only thing with bands, is you can't incrementally increase like you can with free weight. Unless one buys multiple sets from different companies. So the best thing is to combine free weight and bands.

B80

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not sure how much space you have, but I'm really into lifting and bought a load of stuff nearly 2 years ago when covid lockdowns began kicking in.

Squat rack.
Olympic bar and plates.
Fix weight dumbells up to 47.5kg in 2.5kg increments
Dips stn
Bench
Pullup bar.
Rubber tiling for the floor.

Went for decent solid stuff as when I used cheap stuff at home 20 years ago, it quickly became annoying, so was determined to get decent grade stuff, that feels solid. Also wanted fixed db's s although adjustable db's would be cheaper, they quickly become annoying/tedious, having to change all the time between sets, particularly when keeping rest periods lowish.

Can do pretty much everything I did in the commercial gym. Used to use the odd machine at end of session, but nothing that can;t be replicated through free weights.

Krueg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Power Rack, Flat bench (adjustable) and or maybe a pull-up/dip bar. Barbell, plates and dumbbells..

Honestly thats about all you need. Keep it simple, pick a program that fits your needs and stick with it..

DonJuanjr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For less than $30, this is a nice accessory for doing t-bar rows, meadow's rows, and variations of landmine press.

1642808301873.png

Obee1

Don Juan
Reaction score
Let's start off with a little context, based in Hong Kong.

I won't have access to the gym because the government just closed down every recreational facilities for 2 weeks, and I haven't taken the jab yet most likely won't. Which means no gym for me until they force the jab on me.

I just started lifting last month as part of my process to unplug, and to also "Do the work" if you know what I mean. Unfortunately I don't know what I am doing, so any input would be appreciated.

What other equipment should I purchase for a home gym setup? Space is somewhat an issue, max I can do is one of those benches and thats it. Door frames are also kinda worn and old so not sure if a doorway pull up bar is feasible. Don't want to fall and break my knees.

I currently have,
-Ez bar with some plates
-A few dumbbells, some adjustable some not
-Hand grips
-Push up bar
-Resistance bands
-An Ab wheel

Any input will be appreciated, thanks.
Based I what you have told us, I would suggest not getting anymore equipment yet. You already have several modalities listed and at this early stage it will be a detriment to your progress. It's a bit bipolar if you will. Remember this. The principals to gaining are few, but the methods are many. It's easy to get caught up in the minutia of this equipment and that method advocated by that guru. For whatever reason, at this moment, you are motivated to make positive change. That's good, but motivation doesn't last. It comes down to discipline and a strong "why." A typical scenario is that someone gets motivated and gets a gym membership or orders some awesome workout equipment. In the meantime, the person uses the fact that the equipment hasn't arrived or they don't have time to go to the gym, to not do ****. (Procrastinate). By the time the equipment arrives or they have time to go to the gym, the motivation has waned. Now they have an expensive hunk of metal to dry their laundry on and everyday they walk by it, they feel like a loser. If you were my son, I would tell you to pickup the book Homemade Muscle or Convict Conditioning ( bodyweight exercises). Read it, and live it for 3 months. You will improve your strength and appearance. When you workout at home, there is no excuse for not making it to the gym, and obviously bodyweight requires little equipment and no spotters. The very best workout is always going to be the one you are not doing. Don't fall prey to this. When the decision and act of working out becomes as automatic as brushing your teeth in the morning, then it's time to move to the next level. IMO, learn squat, bench, deadlift, overhead press, bb rows, pullups, and dips. They give the biggest bang for the buck in the first year. No leg presses, no bicep curls, no pec deck. Find a trainer to teach you these lifts or pickup the book Starting Strength. If you have done 3 months of BW, and one year of basic compound lifts consistently, people will take notice. For your next workout plan, take your experience from the last year and 3 months and do whatever the F you want. Just remember what got you there. If gyms are still closed, look at sandbags and Bulgarian sandbags if space is still an issue.

kavi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
While I agree that resistance bands can't replace compound lifts. Unless one is a total beginner. For isolation exercises, they can create as good of a pump as free weight. I can get just as good of a pump on my triceps with doing band-push downs, as I can with doing dips. The only thing with bands, is you can't incrementally increase like you can with free weight. Unless one buys multiple sets from different companies. So the best thing is to combine free weight and bands.

I think bands are superior to weights.

You can do any exercise with them if you know how and can easily increment by grip placement or distance. They are also as you say better for joints, much more freedom (improves control and coordination), and what I really like is the increasing resistance curve vs flat resistance with weights.

People just dont know how to use bands. One way is to get a hook and attach it to wall. Hookup your bands to it instead of the simple standing on the band, or wrapping it around yourself. Its difficult to go heavy due to lack of stabilization or set up, but that can be fixed and then you can really get an intense workout especially due to the increasing resistance curve of bands.

firstbornunicorn

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think bands are superior to weights.

You can do any exercise with them if you know how and can easily increment by grip placement or distance. They are also as you say better for joints, much more freedom (improves control and coordination), and what I really like is the increasing resistance curve vs flat resistance with weights.

People just dont know how to use bands. One way is to get a hook and attach it to wall. Hookup your bands to it instead of the simple standing on the band, or wrapping it around yourself. Its difficult to go heavy due to lack of stabilization or set up, but that can be fixed and then you can really get an intense workout especially due to the increasing resistance curve of bands.
The only people I see talking about bands are
1) people who aren't strong or muscular
2) people who got jacked with weights and now sell bands to type 1

kavi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The only people I see talking about bands are
1) people who aren't strong or muscular
2) people who got jacked with weights and now sell bands to type 1

There may some truth to that and you could be right that at the highest level weights are better. But then most people are just using those weak low resistance bands and its not even anchored. Equipment would make a big difference but the industry with bands is not that advanced yet.

I definitely got stronger using bands than weights within the same period though. Just my experience but then I am slim not bulky.

There just needs to be better equipment and accessories and education around bands then I think we would see their full potential, for men looking to put on muscle, i think the industry is just mostly targetted at light toning and fitness workouts atm.

DonJuanjr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It comes down to discipline and a strong "why." A typical scenario is that someone gets motivated and gets a gym membership or orders some awesome workout equipment. In the meantime, the person uses the fact that the equipment hasn't arrived or they don't have time to go to the gym, to not do ****. (Procrastinate). By the time the equipment arrives or they have time to go to the gym, the motivation has waned. Now they have an expensive hunk of metal to dry their laundry on and everyday they walk by it, they feel like a loser.
He could also be the type that gains motivation due to having an investment in the equipment. OP needs to be honest with himself as to which type he is.

HayashiST

Don Juan
Reaction score
He could also be the type that gains motivation due to having an investment in the equipment. OP needs to be honest with himself as to which type he is.
Was raised without a strong father figure, literal furniture and pushover weak dude. Started looking into the RP few months back. 2 persons in particular Rollo and Richard Cooper inspired the f*ck outta me and made me realize the ways of being an actual men.

So for the entirety of 2022 of even beyond I want to get my @ss together and train hard, take back my masculinity, learn stuff and improve myself.

Since I am getting out of college soon, and need to face the "real world" I can't afford just jumping in without knowing jack sh1t.

Burning out or losing motivation shouldn't be a problem for me because I usually never stop doing something that's beneficial. Been working out 3 days a week since last November and I feel fu*king amazing.

Plus lifting heavy stuff had sped me up on tapering us the meds.

It's all going very good right now, plus I study Japanese everyday all day none stop, getting my exam results tmr too so yeah let's do the work.