Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Effects of Sex and the City

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Haha i even posted in this. $8 drinks hahah in 2004 easily double. That was my gf who drank multiple ones that i posted about in an alcohol thread.

i think it was the Cosmo martini they made so popular

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for that,loved Rollos post,You say the methods of the Day were "somewhat outdated",maybe so,but far more reliable.
Rollo posted about the topic of Sex and the City on his first day as a SoSuave forum member.

What kind of influence has Sex and the City been on women? Negative or Positive?

I tend to think of the show as a televsion version of Cosmopolitan magazine. It just encourages women to over analyze men, and be even pickier and more discriminating than ever. Furthermore, I think it encourages women to be even sluttier than they already are.
Sex and the City glorified female notch counts like no other show before it. The article below lists the 1998-2004 notch counts of the 4 main characters

Samantha: 42
Carrie: 18
Charlotte: 18 (notable because she was supposed to be the most prudish and traditional of the women)
Miranda 17

When the show started in 1998, those characters were all 33+ women. In 1998, all those women would have had notch counts of least 15 at the time of Episode 1.

There were promiscuous women on TV prior to Sex and the City. Elaine Benes had 29 boyfriends during Seinfeld's 9 year run and probably had sex with at least 20 of them. In the 1990s, FOX's Beverly Hills 90210 (1990-2000) and Melrose Place (1992-1999) featured a good amount of promiscuity too. I think Sex and the City glamourized the penis carousel more than those other shows, or even earlier night time soap operas like Dallas or Dynasty.

Cosmopolitan magazine had its first issue in 1965, 33 years prior to the first episode of Sex and the City. While Cosmopolitan as a magazine has always glorified sex and penis carousel riding, it came to life more as a live action TV show than in written articles on a magazine or later website. Cosmopolitan was writing about birth control and feminism a lot in its early days. Cosmopolitan and all female targeted magazines have been sliding into irrelevance lately.

I can't recall any women I've dated mentioning reading Cosmopolitan in a long time.

One of the effects Sex and the City most definitely had was making the cosmo drink popular. And believe me you don't want to date a girl that likes these. They are easily $8 a pop. But it does get the girl really drunk!
Haha i even posted in this. $8 drinks hahah in 2004 easily double. That was my gf who drank multiple ones that i posted about in an alcohol thread.

Yes, @Ricky you posted in both 2004 and today on this thread. The $8 drinks in Manhattan in 2004 are likely close to $16 today. Manhattan drinks are more expensive than a lot of places. In Dallas, there are plenty of bars/lounges now with $10-$15 drinks.

Drinking in bars is far more expensive than drinking at home.

Sex and the City might have popularized the Cosmopolitan coccktail for women. Men might have foot the bill for some of those drinks.

Last edited:

Millard Fillmore

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
By today's standards, those women's methods of meeting men would be somewhat outdated.
That and imagine a sex columnist affording a posh Manhattan address and designer shoes and purses. Today she'd be freelancing for Daily Beast and HuffPo and probably OnlyFans and barely making ends meet it in Elmhurst.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That and imagine a sex columnist affording a posh Manhattan address and designer shoes and purses. Today she'd be freelancing for Daily Beast and HuffPo and probably OnlyFans and barely making ends meet it in Elmhurst.
Even in 1998, that was somewhat unrealistic. Carrie Bradshaw's character was a sex columnist as the fictional New York Star, but probably most similar to the New York Post.

Carrie's character was shown as struggling to make ends meet in Manhattan in the early seasons because of her overspending on fashion items, which was semi-realistic in that era.

The media landscape has changed a lot since 1998-2004. Many newspaper jobs have been lost since 2004. Magazines have also struggled since 2004.

The character of Samantha Jones worked in public relations, which is one component of marketing. Like journalism, marketing has changed a lot since 1998-2004. Public relations has changed less than some other parts of marketing in the last 19 years, but it has had its fair share of changes.

There have not been drastic changes for female lawyers and high end art gallery employees since 1998-2004.

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to work at a free standing medical center and some of the women read Cosmo back there. This was around the 2009-2014 time frame. I was slightly surprised in the manner they talked about sex in there.

not sure how influential the cosmo magazine was but it had some interesting articles

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

This 41 year old woman born in February 1982 discussed how "Sex and the City" and "Friends" were influential in how she conducted her dating life. This woman did live in New York City for 10+ years. That story first appeared in January 2023.

I used to work at a free standing medical center and some of the women read Cosmo back there. This was around the 2009-2014 time frame. I was slightly surprised in the manner they talked about sex in there.

not sure how influential the cosmo magazine was but it had some interesting articles
Cosmopolitan has always had some interesting articles. I'm sure that if someone were to analyze 5-10 years worth of Cosmo content, a lot of the content would be repetitive.

Was this free standing medical center in a bigger city? 2009-2014 was definitely in the internet era.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Red pill content creator The Optimized Man analyzed "Sex & the City" and its newest sequel "And Just Like That" from the red pill perspective.

It's wild that there's a show about the lives of 55-60 year old women now. The only people watching this on HBO Max (HBO's streaming service) are older women. I would think it would be mostly 50-64 year old Gen X'ers/late Boomers, though some late Gen X'ers/early Millennials in their 40s might watch. The early Millennials in their early 40s in the present time that would watch likely didn't watch during the original run but likely watched in the 2004-2010 era on DVD or in syndication on TBS in those days.

Last edited:

LTG71

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Red pill content creator The Optimized Man analyzed "Sex & the City" and its newest sequel "And Just Like That" from the red pill perspective.

It's wild that there's a show about the lives of 55-60 year old women now. The only people watching this on HBO Max (HBO's streaming service) are older women. I would think it would be mostly 50-64 year old Gen X'ers/late Boomers, though some late Gen X'ers/early Millennials in their 40s might watch. The early Millennials in their early 40s in the present time that would watch likely didn't watch during the original run but likely watched in the 2004-2010 era on DVD or in syndication on TBS in those days.

This guy does a good analysis of the show. Funny how the original actresses can’t stand each other in real life. It was a fantasy life drama for women. Live in luxury and sleep with handsome men. I’d agree that the trad-con Charlotte would be the best choice out of all the characters, lol. The other three were bad choices, a carousel rider, an opinionated lawyer and ”horseface”. I see they have added more characters to be inclusive, like a lesbian, a Latina and a black female, lol. These women are all old now, what is the appeal? Most guys can’t stand drama and show about old women creating drama, even worse.

Last edited:

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This guy does a good analysis about the show. Funny how the original actresses can’t stand each other in real life.
The main real life conflict is between Sarah Jessica Parker and Kim Cattrall.

Kristin Davis was attractive in her late 30s when the original run of "Sex and the City" was ending in 2004. In 2021-2023, as she's now in her late 50s, her looks have gone downhill even from 2004, which was past her prime.

LTG71

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
They are all past their prime. A better spin off would be a show about their daughters. But none of the women ended up in healthy relationships with families. This is more of the same but with more wrinkles :rofl:.

At some point these shows need to end. Like Fast and Furious 10 for crying out loud. Soon they will be driving hot rods into outer space. Kill the franchise and come up with something new.

Gamisch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
They are all past their prime. A better spin off would be a show about their daughters. But none of the women ended up in healthy relationships with families. This is more of the same but with more wrinkles :rofl:.

At some point these shows need to end. Like Fast and Furious 10 for crying out loud. Soon they will be driving hot rods into outer space. Kill the franchise and come up with something new.
Nope. I am a 80,s kid, and i cant remember anything new's been created. Lets rerun Heman, spiderman, man man. Even i can come up with something new.

Originality is dead .
Rollo posted about the topic of Sex and the City on his first day as a SoSuave forum member.

Sex and the City glorified female notch counts like no other show before it. The article below lists the 1998-2004 notch counts of the 4 main characters

Samantha: 42
Carrie: 18
Charlotte: 18 (notable because she was supposed to be the most prudish and traditional of the women)
Miranda 17

When the show started in 1998, those characters were all 33+ women. In 1998, all those women would have had notch counts of least 15 at the time of Episode 1.

There were promiscuous women on TV prior to Sex and the City. Elaine Benes had 29 boyfriends during Seinfeld's 9 year run and probably had sex with at least 20 of them. In the 1990s, FOX's Beverly Hills 90210 (1990-2000) and Melrose Place (1992-1999) featured a good amount of promiscuity too. I think Sex and the City glamourized the penis carousel more than those other shows, or even earlier night time soap operas like Dallas or Dynasty.

Cosmopolitan magazine had its first issue in 1965, 33 years prior to the first episode of Sex and the City. While Cosmopolitan as a magazine has always glorified sex and penis carousel riding, it came to life more as a live action TV show than in written articles on a magazine or later website. Cosmopolitan was writing about birth control and feminism a lot in its early days. Cosmopolitan and all female targeted magazines have been sliding into irrelevance lately.

I can't recall any women I've dated mentioning reading Cosmopolitan in a long time.

Yes, @Ricky you posted in both 2004 and today on this thread. The $8 drinks in Manhattan in 2004 are likely close to $16 today. Manhattan drinks are more expensive than a lot of places. In Dallas, there are plenty of bars/lounges now with $10-$15 drinks.

Drinking in bars is far more expensive than drinking at home.

Sex and the City might have popularized the Cosmopolitan coccktail for women. Men might have foot the bill for some of those drinks.
Thats 3 lays a year. Yes, it adds up but..unfortunately that is acceptable. Its even modest..

The Duke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This guy does a good analysis of the show. Funny how the original actresses can’t stand each other in real life. It was a fantasy life drama for women. Live in luxury and sleep with handsome men. I’d agree that the trad-con Charlotte would be the best choice out of all the characters, lol. The other three were bad choices, a carousel rider, an opinionated lawyer and ”horseface”. I see they have added more characters to be inclusive, like a lesbian, a Latina and a black female, lol. These women are all old now, what is the appeal? Most guys can’t stand drama and show about old women creating drama, even worse.
Hey I think they should bring back the Golden Girls. #GILFS haha

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey I think they should bring back the Golden Girls. #GILFS haha
All of the original Golden Girls cast members are dead. They would have to do it with a new generation of early Boomer aged women.

This new Sex and the City is nearly that as the main characters are late 50s early Gen X'ers.

Reaction score

I'm drinking white wine out of a Solo cup. Could care less because that F U money is coming down the pipe, and other good sh*t. As far as the OP goes, their worshippers are all dried up. No more eggs to go around. Sucks to suck. Wrinkled, delusional, cottage cheese with asbestos sprinkled on top. They best call that mid-life 'crisis line'. Them skeletons in the closet are reality. No cap.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The "Sex and the City" female characters liked to brunch. They were instrumental in starting to get bougie, childless 20s/30s women across the USA into the brunch scene.