Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Effects of Sex and the City

Genghis Juan

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
This is just a general question and topic for debate.

What kind of influence has Sex and the City been on women? Negative or Positive?

I tend to think of the show as a televsion version of Cosmopolitan magazine. It just encourages women to over analyze men, and be even pickier and more discriminating than ever. Furthermore, I think it encourages women to be even sluttier than they already are.

Just my 2 cents.

Omega

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your right. Sex and the City is one of the most subtley feminist shows I've seen in ages. I refuse to watch it and be brainwashed.

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think alot of shows can have this effect.

One of the effects Sex and the City most definitely had was making the cosmo drink popular. And believe me you don't want to date a girl that likes these. They are easily $8 a pop. But it does get the girl really drunk!

Lost In Translation

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
this show is

Feminazi brainwashing vomit

grrr....

they just trying to make the game harder and put men down

Lost In Translation

**AUSTRALIAN STREET PIMP**

Quote: PuertoRican_Lover
“ the 'pimp' mentality works today because you are living in a time such that there are an overabundance if hors - this is the Pimps playground!! Pimps and hors go together like bread and butter - they are complementary natures!!! Pimps need hors like hors need pimps!! “

DJDamage

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There is always plenty of crap on T.V. I once watched a talk show (can't recall which talk show it was I think it might have been THE VIEW) Where they had this guy who was a photographer that was taking pictures of models as a guest. They also had another guy who wrote some book about how the media is making women become thin and aneroxic and it leads to suicide and low self esteem.

The poor photographer got crapped on by this guy and the large majority of female audience. I remember one member of the audience saying" you know if you look at early painting of 18th 17th centuries women, you can see men loved their women very round with large buttoms and meat and today the media makes men want thin women"

THIS IS THE BIGGEST B.S I EVER HEARD ON T.V I SHUT IT OFF AFTER WATCHING 5 MINS OF IT.

Don_Marko

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Genghis Juan
It just encourages women to over analyze men
*lol* and ur analysing effects of the show on women

Pretty good entertainment... I'll publicly admit watching every episode... cortesy of my girl....

Since we're on topic of analysing... contrast characters of Adan vs BIG... which one is AFC and which one a DJ? which one ends up with the chick?

Whatever.... it's just a show. If a TV show can make it tougher (or easier) for you to get a girl... you ain't got no game player!

insomniac

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I hate this show mainly because my ex was so into it. She and her friends would watch it, and use it to and analyze their lives and relationships.

If you want to know the effect it can have, listen to this: I know a girl who moved to NYC, basically because she was so addicted to the show. Last I heard she got an STD and makes bets with other women to give oral to guys they've gone out with.

The last girl I was seeing liked it too. She said it gave her a perspective on men.

This gives me an idea: Maybe one should study all the episodes...then behave in a manner similar to the male characters the female fans find appealing. Then they can say "Oh, he's so like <insert male character> on Sex!" (it happens!). Give them the drama they so desire...hehe.

Big Pappy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I always get a kick out of the ladies telling me how the art was way back in history. What they fail to realize is that women didn't start getting to be "hotties" until they started doing aerobics. Even my old man's playboys from 1955, featuring chicks like Tina Louise (redhead from Gilligan's Island) http://www.hostultra.com/~curvy/curvy/images/tinal4.jpg
were a bit large in the hips and butt by todays standards.

Mary Ann, on the other hand...

The Sex and the City thing does not make your "game" harder. You're not supposed to have a "game". Just be a man and let the girls do the work. All you need to do is be disciplined and organized. You only have to treat one girl like woman and then she will tell her friends. The rest is in being disciplined (setting limits for them, etc. ) and organized. (making each girl feel like she's the only one in the world while she's with you.)

JohnJones

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think it makes moderately sophisticated women surprised, hopefully plesantly, when you turn out to be a man.

My g/f liked that show (no matter how much they deny it, it was mostly about the shoes and living with big style). She explained one of the plot lines that had something to do with two men who were competing for the Square Pegs girl (she was exclusively dating one of them but periodically "followed her heart" and wandered into the arms of the other).

I explained that that was fine but that no real man would put up with that -- that without drama, hate, anger or closure or whatever, if I were dating the character and I started to see shady behavior, I'd assume she'd found somebody new and walk away to find a more respectable girl.

My g/f was shocked to find out that men do not feel that they are bound by rules of any game (as if the religeon of love compells the participants' presense against their respective wills) and that they can walk away... just like that? No big talks? No flexibility to let her find her heart?

I explained that there is a certain economic efficiency in this: If she's not into me or she's psychologically damaged (and requires attention, etc., to a silly degree) then it neither serves my purposes or hers to prolong it.

Shocked, she was.

disciple

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm not into shows that blatantly cater to that-- Women are Smart, Men are just Dumb creatures whose only value is in the bedroom--type of feminist bullsh*t. If you watch TV nowadays or go to the movies, all you see now are women in dominant/intelligent positions and the men are always weak, begging some b*tch for approval, or trying to impress or work hard to "win" some b*tch. It is disgusting to see a man demean himself for some unappreciative and uncaring woman. But that's what we call popular entertainment these days.

Crank_It_Up

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think the show has had a positive effect on women.... anything that pulls sex out of the dark shadows of a forbidden taboo and displays it as a healthy normal activity, is a good thing in my opinion.

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm a newbie, but I had to agree.

I refuse to allow my 6 year old daughter to watch Rugrats for exactly this dynamic. Every adult male character is ridiculed and emasculated. All of the fathers on the show are wimpy, house husbands and/or ridiculed directly or indirectly for being male. Every adult female character on the show is a pushy, controling, unrealistic superwoman that assumes a traditionally masculine role. This show has had an 11 year run and 3 spin off movies. While this may have been a novel, 'liberated' approach 10 years ago, now it's a tired cliche and a damaging one at that.

Similarly Sex and the City filled this gap for adult females, portraying each male as, at the very least, objectified and in need of perceived feminine controling to complete them and to affirm their own desirability as a controlling agency (power of the poon). Thank God this series is over, but I'm sure the popularity of the format will spawn more than a few spin-offs.

Beware even hooking up with a woman who's dating 'experience' relies on her education from Sex and the City. It's the same effect as Romance novel addicts only in a more palatable form.

dietzcoi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Crank

No disrespect intended, but your posts have become dangerously "sympish" lately.

Please stop making excuses for female's bad behaviors.

Thanks

Dietzcoi

DonCruez

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
Yeah, I'm a newbie, but I had to agree.

I refuse to allow my 6 year old daughter to watch Rugrats for exactly this dynamic. Every adult male character is ridiculed and emasculated. All of the fathers on the show are wimpy, house husbands and/or ridiculed directly or indirectly for being male. Every adult female character on the show is a pushy, controling, unrealistic superwoman that assumes a traditionally masculine role. This show has had an 11 year run and 3 spin off movies. While this may have been a novel, 'liberated' approach 10 years ago, now it's a tired cliche and a damaging one at that.

Similarly Sex and the City filled this gap for adult females, portraying each male as, at the very least, objectified and in need of perceived feminine controling to complete them and to affirm their own desirability as a controlling agency (power of the poon). Thank God this series is over, but I'm sure the popularity of the format will spawn more than a few spin-offs.

Beware even hooking up with a woman who's dating 'experience' relies on her education from Sex and the City. It's the same effect as Romance novel addicts only in a more palatable form.
are we watching the same sex and the city??? I'd say that shows like these (Elly Mcbeal) and movies like (fat ***** whose name I forgot)'s diaries show how insecure women really are. If it were feminazi propaganda, they would show how the confident go-getter butch does what she wants while her husband is staying home to do housework. Now they show women being insecure about men but searching for mister right... what's feminazi about that????

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's not so much the portrayal of women as it is the portrayal of men. By ridiculing men this has the effect of empowering the woman. All the better for the 'average' woman if she can feel good about herself by default simply because all of the men she experiences in the media are more pathetic than herself by comparisson. Ergo you get Ally McBeal (another series that's thankfully cancelled), a waify, stick woman who is nonetheless a 'wrangler of men' since they're all so easily coralled due to their collective lack of intellect and overemphasized libidos. Ally is nothing special, but because men are so 'predictable' she has agency over them. This is acceptable these days because, by and large, women are the primary watchers of TV and also the primary consumers of advertised goods. Another testament to feminine insecurity.

And really, what is on TV for the 'average' male to watch other than sports? I would challenge anyone on this BBS to give me one example of a male character on TV today that exhibits a fraction of masculinity that is portrayed as being a positive trait. This is difficult to do because it's the default joke to poke fun at the 'flexing' guy in the mirror. And even when there is an example of a physically fit 'masculine' male that the female characters swoon over, he's later revealed to be vain or a stupid 'himbo' only interested in hotter women and not 'real' women such as themselves. Again, all this does is reinforce a false sense of wellbeing for the 'average' female viewership.

Can you imagine what the feminine outcry would be if a network produced a show like 'Father Knows Best' or 'My Wife, I think I'll Keep Her' right now? These used to be staple shows in the 60's & 70's. These day N.O.W. would picket the network headquaters for even producing a pilot episode.

Don Juanabbe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Now that this show is cancelled, they'll probably go one step further and produce one called 'Anal Sex in the City' about 4 poofs in San Francisco or some sh*t.

Crank_It_Up

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
It's not so much the portrayal of women as it is the portrayal of men. By ridiculing men this has the effect of empowering the woman.
I've only seen a few episodes, but I don't recall the men being portrayed badly. The show was sort of boring for me, it seemed like an endless parade of relationships that didn't work out for one reason or another. Now I'll force myself to watch another episode or 2 to verify your findings... grr.

Crank_It_Up

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by dietzcoi
Crank

No disrespect intended, but your posts have become dangerously "sympish" lately.

Please stop making excuses for female's bad behaviors.

Thanks

Dietzcoi
oh no, how will I get to sleep tonight, I'm turning dangerously "sympish" :)

MrCode

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm also disgusted by negative portrayal of men on most comedies these days, but on the positive side I think some of the dramas (CSI, Law and Order, etc.) show strong male characters who aren't stupid buffoons.

I've seen probably 10 episodes of Sex and the City in my life and overall I enjoyed them. But I didn't really analyze them as being anti-male. I was also more of an AFC in those days when I saw them.

I think most of the sitcoms on these days are much worse as far as negative male portrayal. Every plot revolves around the buffoon husband screwing something up and his perfect little wife saving the day. Even the Simpsons is like this.

Oh well, life's a b!tch, and there are certainly worse things in this world than anti-male comedies.

Austin Allegro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The only possible plus the show had was that it got women thinking a bit more about the more adventurous side of sex, but then womens' magazines had been doing this for decades anyway.

I read somewhere that the original premise of the show was that women would feel sorry for the empty, vacous lives that the characters lead, but instead people started trying to emulate them!

Overall I think its a big steaming pile of kak, just like 'Friends'. It just encourages the annoying female traits of endless relationship drama and obsession with material goods and status.

Oh and Sarah Jessica Parker is dog rough, how she became a sex symbol I'll never know.