Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Dress clothing - the secret weapon

Enigma412

Don Juan
Reaction score
I dress up relatively often because I attend many political events (I am the President of the college Democrats here) and I agree with most of what has been said in this thread.

I do have a question, though. Is it better to wear a tie with a suit while on a college campus or is it better to not wear a tie while leaving the top button unbuttoned at college?

Oh yeah, I am new to the world of dressing up often. How often should you dry clean a suit???

sparky1981

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mr. Latte
Kenneth Cole shoes are ok sometimes, but when they ask $150 for them, they're simply not worth it. Quality shoes are stitched (the soles are actually sewn to the shoe)...Kenneth Cole (at least Kenneth Cole Reaction) are glued, the trademark of a cheap, low quality shoe, and then made to APPEAR stitched. They're nice looking, decent quality shoes, but you could spend a little bit more, and get QUALITY, which is gonna last.
Well like they say you get what you pay for. Quality is not cheap Looking after them helps

seanchai

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Enigma412
Oh yeah, I am new to the world of dressing up often. How often should you dry clean a suit???
Invest in a steam cleaner. They're not that cheap and they're a little labor intensive, but on the plus side they won't destroy your suit after a few visits like the dry cleaners will. This is probably the biggest mistake people make in suit care. You can steam clean spots and wrinkles out just as well as they can dry clean them out.

sparky1981

Don Juan
Reaction score
How much do steam cleaners generally cost?
Probaly not as much as a few visits to the dry cleaners. Beside most are machine washable and ironable these days.

I would not go overboard. Chicks won't examine you that much

Last edited:

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to hate button ups until about 2 years ago when i got my first banana republic. The problem was, i didnt know how to wear the button up correctly and how to match it. I figured it out and now button ups are one of my favorite things to wear - i own i think 10-15.

First things first. Express shirts are great becuase they are fitted, meaning they are not designed for fat asses. When tucked in, the back isnt going to stick out, it will look good. I do not tuck in my shirts when wearing jeans. I leave the last button and the top 2 unbuttoned. When wearing nice slacks do tuck it in, make sure you have a nice belt.

Shop when stuff is on sale. I dont think i've ever paid more than $30 for a shirt. Damn i love clearance!

Shoes. I am still working on this myself, but nice shoes will definately make life easier. I would suggest getting something that is easy to clean. NEVER GET LUGZ. You heard me.

I have to dress nice for my work and yes i get a lot of looks from people. If you are wearing a sport coat it looks even better. I went to a business meeting in my school and passed as an employer of major corp... i look like i am 19-20.

A nice golden necklace makes you feel good. I wouldnt recommend buying it at retail locations, the markup is 400%. I got mine for a good price and people comment on it time to time (i dont really give a **** because i just feel better when wearing it) Make sure not to show off the jewlery if you dont need to. I mean dont wear gold over turtlenecks...

Last thing. Just becuase you went out and dropped $2000 on cool clothes it doesnt mean you will look good. a good friend of mine has tons of nice clothes but DOES NOT know HOW TO DRESS. Learn how to mix and match the right stuff. Learn how to accessorize.

Here is an idea - find pictures of clothes you are thinking about buying, post links and i can tell you my opinion of it. Other can join in.

I should probably post a pic of myself to show what i mean. Here is matching. I took a polo and a shirt and it worked. This is for a "Pimps and Hoes" party.

Oxide Pic

edit- ^^ Express shirt. I like them the most.

P.S. Want EVERYONE to check you out? Search for a Salmon/Orange button up. Express had one. I can't believe how many people commented me on that one.

Last edited:

seanchai

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How much do steam cleaners generally cost?
The QuickSteam Professional is ~$150, usually cheaper on eBay and from what I've read it's worth every penny. Considering what I've spent to get my favorite suit dry cleaned in the past six months (I'm a popular guy when it comes to events requiring nice dress), that would've been great. I hear Conair makes a decent one for ~$30. But a nice steam cleaner will last forever and make your clothes last forever too.

sinner

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Egoist

1. you typical button up + slacks/jeans outfit. Here are ways to make it look nice and differentiate yourself from the AFCs.. Get a FITTED shirt, as opposed to the more baggy classic fit one. It changes EVERYTHING.. Express has them, gap has them, H&M has them, kenneth cole has them, etc.. Just look for fitted/european fit - close to your body without restricting movement.

As far as the slacks go, they shouldn't be pleated (go flat front) and there shouldn't the cuffs on the bottom (forgot what the proper name for those is) Nice shoes with a matching belt complete the look. Make sure those match as well. Oh and don't wear brown shoes with black pants.

Jeans also go well with this outfit, as long as they are proper fit, not to wildly distressed, and are a modern cut (bootcut, slightly flared, NOT anklehuggers)

Oh and NEVER EVER EVER button the top button. As a matter of fact, leave the top two open for the confident gigolo look.

Also, a nice sportscoat/jacket completes this look very nicely. Don't be afraid to wear a modern jacket with jeans and a button up either, it can be a very slick look. Look at some store displays/magazines for more ideas..

2. More casual jeans + t-shirt look. The key here are nice jeans and a cool tee. No wrangler jeans and fruit of the loom. No overly baggy stuff, no XXXL t-shirts gangsta style, no chains hanging out.

Just nice properly fit jeans, a nice slogan or blank t-shirt. NO NIKE/Other athletic sneakers. Only casual laceups or casual/retro puma/adidas/etc

Accesorize with a cool watch, leather cuffs, nice sunglasses (diesel, gucci, etc)

You can also wear a sportscoat over a t-shirt if your overall look is not too sporty, especially with nice shoes.

Or if you are on the sportier side, a zip-up sweater like those popular now is perfect to complete this outfit.
nice style... fitted shirts just rock. The jacket + shirt + jeans look is awesome

btw. anyone here wears Lacoste polos? if yes, what do you pair it with? i love the lacoste polo fit

everywomanshero

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mall

I went to the mall today for some observation of current trends. I want to be almost trendy but with a splash of my own personalized touch that seperates me from every other meathead out there. Up until now, I've had a terrible sense of style I hope to correct. You guys are probably going to laugh at how out of touch with dress I've gotten but here goes:

One thing I quickly noticed is that most men seem to wear jeans that do not fit properly. In watching ladies who wore jeans and casual shoes, the pant legs almost always had a wide cut or slit that allowed them to flow over the shoe. Most men had straight leg jeans which were too long to begin with and bunched up arond the shoe and lower leg. Am I correct in thinking that legs should go around the shoe and not bunch up? I think this is called a a "flared" leg.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
LOL, you will NEVER get ****ed because ofyour clothes...

But you will definatly NOT get ****ed because of them

Egoist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Oxide
I used to hate button ups until about 2 years ago when i got my first banana republic. The problem was, i didnt know how to wear the button up correctly and how to match it. I figured it out and now button ups are one of my favorite things to wear - i own i think 10-15.

First things first. Express shirts are great becuase they are fitted, meaning they are not designed for fat asses. When tucked in, the back isnt going to stick out, it will look good. I do not tuck in my shirts when wearing jeans. I leave the last button and the top 2 unbuttoned. When wearing nice slacks do tuck it in, make sure you have a nice belt.

Shop when stuff is on sale. I dont think i've ever paid more than $30 for a shirt. Damn i love clearance!

Shoes. I am still working on this myself, but nice shoes will definately make life easier. I would suggest getting something that is easy to clean. NEVER GET LUGZ. You heard me.

I have to dress nice for my work and yes i get a lot of looks from people. If you are wearing a sport coat it looks even better. I went to a business meeting in my school and passed as an employer of major corp... i look like i am 19-20.

A nice golden necklace makes you feel good. I wouldnt recommend buying it at retail locations, the markup is 400%. I got mine for a good price and people comment on it time to time (i dont really give a **** because i just feel better when wearing it) Make sure not to show off the jewlery if you dont need to. I mean dont wear gold over turtlenecks...

Last thing. Just becuase you went out and dropped $2000 on cool clothes it doesnt mean you will look good. a good friend of mine has tons of nice clothes but DOES NOT know HOW TO DRESS. Learn how to mix and match the right stuff. Learn how to accessorize.

Here is an idea - find pictures of clothes you are thinking about buying, post links and i can tell you my opinion of it. Other can join in.

I should probably post a pic of myself to show what i mean. Here is matching. I took a polo and a shirt and it worked. This is for a "Pimps and Hoes" party.

Oxide Pic

edit- ^^ Express shirt. I like them the most.

P.S. Want EVERYONE to check you out? Search for a Salmon/Orange button up. Express had one. I can't believe how many people commented me on that one.
my name is egoist and i approve this message.

i have the same shirt as you're wearing in that pic, yo :)

well actually i bought like 5 of those pinstriped ones from express when they were on sale for $20.. ;) i probably have about 20 buttonup shirts from express alone.. and i dont even like quality on most of their shirts anymore (the mx1 line with lycra makes you sweat too much and wrinkles easily..)

oh yeah, and as far as the shoes, hit up clearance racks at DSW or marshalls/tj maxx.. I've found bruno magli for $40, awesome kenneth coles and gordon rushes for $20-40 and so on..

Egoist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by backbreaker
LOL, you will NEVER get ****ed because ofyour clothes...

But you will definatly NOT get ****ed because of them
true.

although chicks have opened me about my clothes..

hell, i had a girl literally pull me in and start ripping my jacket off so she can see my shirt better :D

Egoist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Mall

Originally posted by everywomanshero
I went to the mall today for some observation of current trends. I want to be almost trendy but with a splash of my own personalized touch that seperates me from every other meathead out there. Up until now, I've had a terrible sense of style I hope to correct. You guys are probably going to laugh at how out of touch with dress I've gotten but here goes:

One thing I quickly noticed is that most men seem to wear jeans that do not fit properly. In watching ladies who wore jeans and casual shoes, the pant legs almost always had a wide cut or slit that allowed them to flow over the shoe. Most men had straight leg jeans which were too long to begin with and bunched up arond the shoe and lower leg. Am I correct in thinking that legs should go around the shoe and not bunch up? I think this is called a a "flared" leg.
yes, its called bootcut or flared. Jeans that bunch up at your ankle are as AFC as it gets.

pimpfromdayone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wearing suits huh, way to get the golddiggers, haha.
Did you ever stop to think that you're getting looks for the wrong reasons? You don't always impress people by standing out. Who wears suits on college campuses besides the professors? That is just something that people don't do, and those who do, are probably seen as try-hards. The women are probably thinking, "I bet he thinks he is so cool." If I want golddiggers, I will dress up in a white coat like a doctor, haha. You can look really classy without going all out like that.
It's simple.
My basic, casual style is as follows:

solid color polo shirt (preferably in blue, white, red, or some other strong, bright, catchy color. This will be all you need to catch their eye). Shirt should fit well, not too loose. I really don't like most people who wear abercrombie, for obvious reasons, but I myself wear it because it fits me better than any other brand. I leave it untucked because I am only size 30 in the waist and I look better with it untucked. Usually I also have a white shirt underneath.
In the winter, I wear the button-up shirts a lot too.

faded, boot cut jeans. Don't wear solid color jeans, simply because they don't look as good.

white casual shoes. I like reebok classics.

These things go perfectly with one another. At my college, most people dress rather sloppy (not to mention the sweatpants-wearing women), so with just the combo above, I still look rather pimp. Anything more, in my opinion, would be overkill.

I usually don't fu-ck with accessories like watches (don't look right on me anyway), sunglasses, belts, hats, necklaces, etc.
I am however gonna try out one of those Kangol hats (white of course) because I think it could be a good look for me.

I completely understand how suits can be attractive, but dam-n, you just don't wear them anywhere.

TxCowboy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krassus
I think the grey dress pants thing may be a local thing, as all bus drivers / mailmen in Toronto wear those. Basically people you don't want girls to associate you with. No offence to them to those people, but what the hell kinda girl would date someone who dresses like the ****ing mailman :D
OR an old man :crackup:

seanchai

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Mall

Originally posted by Egoist
yes, its called bootcut or flared. Jeans that bunch up at your ankle are as AFC as it gets.
I think the fit of jeans is a personal preference thing. For instance, I prefer jeans to break once over the shoe and touch the ground in the back when I'm wearing boots and bootcut jeans, but on straight-legged jeans I cuff them.

sparky1981

Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Mall

Originally posted by seanchai
I think the fit of jeans is a personal preference thing. For instance, I prefer jeans to break once over the shoe and touch the ground in the back when I'm wearing boots and bootcut jeans, but on straight-legged jeans I cuff them.
Yeah thats a good tip. I been wearing bootcuts for a while now and never looked back. I would go for the one that don't hug your legs either but the ones that look the same size all the way down