Do muscles really help you get girls?

greatgatsby

Don Juan
Reaction score
Social_Leper said:
yessir! however, i prefer the plain crew neck w/ no buttons... but, yes, that's the style. the model isn't doing the greatest job on really filling it out though.

if you're overweight i'd say this shouldn't be a go to. if you're a skinny as a rail i don't think this would be a go to either. if you're cut with well-developed traps, deltoids, chest and back w/ a small waist you're doing yourself a disservice not to add a couple of these to your repertoire. - trust me on this.

typical

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Colossus said:
YES.

People see you in a different light when you are muscular. Even if you just look muscular in a t-shirt you will get treated differently. Keep in mind achieving a level of muscularity that will turn heads is going to take time, as in years. The good news is that as a newbie to weight training you can generate some really tangible results in 6 months that will give you the motivation to make it a long-term pursuit.

I agree with the others about shaving your head since you are starting to bald. Tanning really does help, even if once a week. There are tons of threads here and stuff in the H&F vault that can get you started with a lifting program. You have to be consistent though, that's where 90% of people fail.

Here's a few pics a of me from august of 2010 and august of this year. As you can see I was markedly bigger last year (about 245), and this year I'm about 230, and maybe a little less fat. Also note my white-as$ legs, lol.

http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k627/MZM12/

I'm no bodybuilder, I have a strength background. But, I wasnt much bigger than you when I started training. So it is possible, it just takes time and dedication. There are no magic programs, meals, pills, or shortcuts. And yes I absolutely get more attention from women now than when I was 160 lbs.
Fu(k bro just go on a cut and you'd look like a lean ripped tank, I'm sitting at 180 at the moment and my ideal weight is 200 but shredded :)

DarkShade

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
S

SPaul

Yes it really helps you get girls. And you should perform some face exercises too.
As there are many good things to do with your face too as with your arms and body.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Colossus said:
Yeah it TOTALLY depends on the girl. The take-home message is to look how you want to look. I honestly dont think my gf would care if I was 175 lbs and didnt even lift, as long as I wasnt totally out of shape. On the other hand some girls at my gym only go after the roided-to-the-gills bodybuilder look. They are more of an outlier group, however. Most girls I have known like middle-ground: muscular but not "excessively" so (whatever that means :rolleyes: ).
True, but I find that being in shape in general has helped get more attention than when I was skinnier. And let me tell you, I used to be one skinny mother****er! We are talking 5'10" and 130 lbs. Now at 185-190 lbs, the positive attention is that much more. To borrow your parlance, this is merely a correlation not a causation as I feel my personality and 'game' have also gotten better so you can't necessarily attribute better interactions with women to one or the other. However, one thing is for sure - more women approach me out of the blue now than they did 5 or 10 years ago.

I agree with your other point that it seems most chicks go for the middle ground guy who looks legit but not overdone. You don't have to look like guys from the NFL combine who can bench 250 lbs 20 times, but you shouldn't look like McLovin from Superbad either.

DarkShade

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
It comes down to what you're eating. Are you eating 5-6 meals a day? How often are you eating junk food? How much protein, carbs, and fat are you taking in each day?

I try to each as often as I can per day, and I've been piss broke recently from moving to my new apartment and waiting on my first check, so I've literally been eating rice and wild-caught salmon (got a bag of them) with a vegetable for dinner, eat the rest of the rice and other half of the salmon fillet for lunch with some low-fat yogurt and/or cottage cheese. No junk food or carbonated beverages. In the evenings I might have some fruit to munch on and while I'm at my desk at work I try to munch on something small, but I'm running out of food! Thankfully I get paid tomorrow :rockon:

In any case I'm working out several times a week and stretching on my off days. Myself and three other coworkers are doing the 'one hundred pushup' challenge (http://hundredpushups.com/) an hour before work starts (around 6:30am)

I just want this fat gone and for my body to really pop. I'd like the attention everyone else is getting :yes:

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
I live and work in the Tampa Bay area.

In my opinion, training with weights and eating nutrient-rich foods can minimize facial fatness...which can reveal angles formerly padded with fat...but I don't think proper exercise and diet can actually induce or alter the angles of your facial structure. That would require plastic surgery. But...whatever face you do have, it's likely gonna look a lot better if you're training with weights and eating right. I notice that even the quality of the skin on my face looks a lot healthier compared to when I wasn't training.
Espi is right. Being lean will help to reduce facial fatness and really help skin condition. My bf% went from around 8% or so, to around 12-13% in the link below. MY updated pics are the ones wearing the navy blue tank top. Notice how much fatter my face looks in these shots vs. my older shots.

http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m91/Treydesmon/

Darkshade, once your finances are in order its imperative that you get a better diet and stick to it. You're also gonna need to add more mass to your upper body and get better overall body conditioning. Eat clean and train w/ a modified starting strength type of program and you shouldn't have any problems seeing good results. Make sure that you're eating enough food and getting enough protein. To get the results you want I'd recommend at least 250 g of protein/day for a guy who's 200 lbs... 300 g/day is probably a better choice.

Good luck.

Last edited:

DarkShade

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I know that protein causes your body far more digestion/calorie burning than fats or carbs, but 300g per day? I was having problems just putting down 160-180g a day eating can after can of tuna and steaks, chicken... Isn't 300g excessive?

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
DarkShade said:
I know that protein causes your body far more digestion/calorie burning than fats or carbs, but 300g per day? I was having problems just putting down 160-180g a day eating can after can of tuna and steaks, chicken... Isn't 300g excessive?
250-300 g is a lot of protein. I personally aim for 1.5 g/lb of bodyweight, which is why I suggested the 300 g given your weight of 200 lbs. Diet is crucial to acheiving your fitness goals. Its BY FAR the most important factor that will determine whether you succeed or fail. As a rule you should aim for at least 1-1.5 lbs of meat/day with this kind of a diet. Personally for me, I just break it down to what I gotta take in with each meal.

250-300 g protein/day @ 5-6 meals/day = 40-60 g of protein/meal depending on which options you choose.

I'll give you a sample diet w/ approx. 50 g protein/meal as its smack dab in the middle. It'll be a 5-meal a day diet, and is basically what I'm eating right now.

Meal 1: 1.5 cups oatmeal w/ 50 g whey isolate and some fruit.

Meal 2: 8 oz steak w/ some veges and 1 cup oats
* I'm trying to put on weight right now and I have an easier time doing so w/ red meat because of the extra saturated fat. You can replace the red meat w/ chicken or fish.

Meal 3: 3 scoops mass gainer + 500 cc skim milk

Meal 4: Same as meal 2.

Meal 5: 6 eggs, scrambled w/ salsa some fruits/veges and 1 oz almonds.

Post WO - add in 40 g whey isolate and a small slurpee or juice (basically something to get you 40 g of simple sugars).

Nice simple, easy to follow diet. Get you around 250 g of protein and close to 3500 calories.

Keep in mind this is a bulking diet. I'd recommend it for you because you'll do a lot better if you gain a shiitload of muscle first and then decrease your body fat. Muscle is very metabolically active tissue and having lots of muscle on board will drastically increase your basal metabolic rate. Its a lot of food and calories, but its nutrient dense and its good clean stuff.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Question: Does owning X get me Y?
Answer: No it doesn't, it's how you use it that gets you results.

This works for cars, tools, clothing... etc. Simply owning a tool doesn't get you a house, but with a better tool you can build (instead of waiting for it to build itself) a better house and faster.

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to be a skinny fat pretty boy and attracted a different type of girls to the ones I attract now (the latter tend to be more... gropey lol), with 40lb extra weight, a much more muscular build and a more masculine look in general. Hard to say which is better in pure attraction (I've never tried to win women with my body, just my charms :p ), but my former self had some significant body image issue, while now I have none of that and a lot more physical confidence (which in turn breeds mental confidence) in general. I like myself better as it is now.

Having said that, I'm always improving, and so I'm going to cut about 10~15lb of fat in the next 3-4 months before summer down her. Will see what'll happen when I hit the beach early next year. ;)

greatgatsby

Don Juan
Reaction score
hey fellas, i'm glad that we have so many positive guys on here making efforts to improve themselves physically! however, i also want to throw in there that THIS IS A LIFESTYLE and PLEASE DO THIS FOR YOU! - meaning: if you're working out "solely" to pick up chicks and get attention you are doingitwrong. work out for YOU! the chicks and attention are what are known as by-products. i'm telling you, if you're not working out for yourself then it WILL BE SHORT LIVED!

i've noticed that working out has become a healthy mental narcotic for me. days that i don't work out i just don't feel right. that feeling of finishing a grueling workout, tired, but energized (if that makes sense) is one of the best mental and physical feelings i've experienced. when you get into a routine of constantly working out you will eventually become addicted and crave for the iron and sweat... and when you're finished putting in your work - again, you reap the by-product of the chicks and attention when you walk out of the gym and reconvene with the outer world.

Strelok

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I disagree about the morning training, while some are morning men some others work more efficiently after the stability of a couple of meals that require time between the two and to allow a good assimilation of the nutrients.

Especially skinny guys with a fast metabolism are calling for troubles training in early morning.

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Early morning heavy lifting is bad for your spine.

iMan

Reaction score
We notice women with good body's they notice men with good body's.

It certainly doesn't hurt at all.

ArcBound

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes it helps you, but it that's the key word HELPS.

To get a woman (99% of the time even if you are good looking) you will have to approach, you will have to socially uphold a conversation and/or make things happen. Having the body of a Greek God then standing there, won't do you any good, and I feel a lot of men fall into the trap that suddenly attaining an awesome body will help them auto-lay girls.

Paintballguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ArcBound said:

To get a woman (99% of the time even if you are good looking) you will have to approach, you will have to socially uphold a conversation and/or make things happen. Having the body of a Greek God then standing there, won't do you any good, and I feel a lot of men fall into the trap that suddenly attaining an awesome body will help them auto-lay girls.
Agreed 100%. Improving yourself in anyway will definitely help you. Whether that is getting in better shape, dressing nicer, etc, but if you can't talk to girls with confidence, those muscles won't help you. I know a guy who is tall, jacked and AFC as hell. I watch girls walk all over him.

greatgatsby said:
hey fellas, i'm glad that we have so many positive guys on here making efforts to improve themselves physically! however, i also want to throw in there that THIS IS A LIFESTYLE and PLEASE DO THIS FOR YOU! - meaning: if you're working out "solely" to pick up chicks and get attention you are doingitwrong. work out for YOU! the chicks and attention are what are known as by-products. i'm telling you, if you're not working out for yourself then it WILL BE SHORT LIVED!

i've noticed that working out has become a healthy mental narcotic for me. days that i don't work out i just don't feel right. that feeling of finishing a grueling workout, tired, but energized (if that makes sense) is one of the best mental and physical feelings i've experienced. when you get into a routine of constantly working out you will eventually become addicted and crave for the iron and sweat... and when you're finished putting in your work - again, you reap the by-product of the chicks and attention when you walk out of the gym and reconvene with the outer world.
This is on point. The gym and nutrition has become a lifestyle for me. I can't not go to the gym at least 3-4 times a week. I feel like I'm cheating myself if I don't. Plus, there is nothing like the feeling of putting iron on your back or pulling it off the floor.

greatgatsby

Don Juan
Reaction score
ArcBound said:

i concur to a certain degree. i think that having the physique won't get you automatically laid by just standing there, BUT, it will help you to notice who is checking you out/eye-f*cking you. If you know a chick and or her friends are scoping, it makes it that much easier to approach. and if they're checking you out and attracted to what they see physically - that's half the battle - if your objective is just to bone (i'm not talking about a relationship).

you're right, typically, if not the majority of the time, the guy must approach. having the right physique gives you the opportunity to notice who's checking you out so the approach is no big deal. and every once in awhile you will get the chick(s) who have no shame and will approach and go for what they want!

dude, i've known some dumb-assed dudes who couldn't spell "conversation", but based on looks/physique were still able to get the draws and quickly bang some fine women. sometimes that's all the chick is really looking for!

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fuglydude said:
Espi is right. Being lean will help to reduce facial fatness and really help skin condition. My bf% went from around 8% or so, to around 12-13% in the link below. MY updated pics are the ones wearing the navy blue tank top. Notice how much fatter my face looks in these shots vs. my older shots.

http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m91/Treydesmon/
Fug you have the most retardedly wide shoulder girdle I've ever seen! Your frame is perfect for physique. Have you considered doing a men's physique show? Apparently it's a new category in Amateur bodybuilding. Basically similar in conditioning to BB'ers but less mass.

Also your wife is a smoke show. Props.