Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Do folks wear "dress shoes" anymore?

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
(NOTE: I thought that there would be a subforum dedicated to fashion, but I did not see one, so I am posting it here.)

I seem to be at a stage of life when the next generation is now getting married, or my contemporary friends have finally aged into women their age no longer being picky, and thus they are getting married too, LOL - and so I need to get a proper wardrobe for that (my house got totally flooded 13 years ago, and I hadn't gotten to replacing my "dress wardrobe" until recently).

I have "Barney Rubble" feet, EEEE with a high instep, so my options are but limited, even online. My regular shoes are a pair of very nice leather "boat shoes" ($130!) that are super comfortable, but as they get worn, they start looking bad; looking at nice loafers though, I think that my shoes as new could suffice - and my default option is to simply buy a new pair of these shoes when I need to dress up, and eventually I'll get to the point where I have a pair of good shoes and a pair of beaters. (My current SOP is to buy a new pair every year, as that's about how long the soles last.)

But when I look around for "dress shoes", I don't seem to see what I would consider "dress shoes". That said, I have seen some nice dress loafers, but I'm not going to pay $400 for something I rarely use. I should also say that before I got tired of tight-fitting shoes, I had a pair of EEE alligator boots that were my regular "social" shoes that were definitely nice enough to wear as "dress".

Anyway, I'd like to get some opinions on this.

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a pair of timberland boat shoes I wear in summer, they ruin easily so buy them once a year. black Chelsea boots, brown dessert boots that go with any jean/chino combo, tan brogues (wear to work sometimes), have some moccasins that are looking worn but my next purchase when the weather gets warmer is those. Couple black work shoes they are good enough to shine and wear out.

Multiple air max 91/95/96/97's/1's for when shoes are not appropriate.

Footwear is VERY important. Suade is good. Keep them clean/clean and or shine every time you go out to meet women.

BeExcellent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Shoes are very important. Get some brogues for upscale casual wear.

Google Allen Edmonds. They are about $500 retail (but you can get them for less on sale at various outlets if you look).

I knew a man who traveled a great deal internationally who used to tell people to wear the best shoes they could while traveling...that airline staff (often women) would tend to select whom to grant first class upgrades to based upon how well appointed they looked. People in good shoes looked wealthier (more deserving of first class status) and were thusly rewarded in his experience.

Shoes say to women about men what men *think* that cars say to women. Invest in great shoes. Chicks notice.

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You can get good quality shoes at a bargain, as with most clothing, my mum used to say you have to wear it and not let it wear you.

Can look good in a £50 outfit head to toe.

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You can find good dress shoes for $50 if you find good deals. They just look nice. You can even wear dress shoes with jeans and a polo if you want to.

raider87

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Im rockin vans, im in the sand, i got a red bull & vodka in my hand.

dustmuffin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just got a pair of handmade boots. Tecovas, they are great. Come in caimen belly and full ostrich quill. Plus regular leather. Oh and lizard.

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just bought some Russel & Bromley loafers with my commission today. Money well spent.

Roober

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Definitely still wear dress shoes, actually really into the brown brogue/belt combo with almost all of my work attire (button up/polo and slacks)

Casual boots are great as well because they can be dressed up or down. They provide a good middle groups between casual and formal.

Here is a good article about everything shoes: https://www.artofmanliness.com/2011/03/01/guide-boots-shoes/

A few good solid rules...
1. Athletic shoes are for the gym and exercise only
2. There is a wide range of shoes from ultra-casual to formal, have them at your disposal

Von

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Shoes are definitely a most.

CLEAN SHOES.

They have also to Match your belt, you watch, your tie (if you have a suit)

I remember back in my clubs days... women would say... they judged a guy by the cleanness and beauty of their shoes. (like in the army lol)

I wear a suit and a tie... 6 days out of 7.

My shoes are always matching my belt, my watch, my tie and are in the some colour type of the suit.

My shirt is alway a contrast of the suit.

Example: Black Suit, Black Tie, Black Belt, Black Watch, White Shirt, Black shoes.

I have around 10 dress shoes (6 leather black, 1 black glass for wedding and gala, 3 browns) and just got 4 new running/walk shoes all black.

Example: Brown shoes, go with brown belt, brownish or light dark/greenish colors of tie, more ''light'' suit colors

Funny how 5 years ago I knew nothing of fashion... dated a fashionita who redid my ward robe with the goal of making me look hot to other women and men (and help my business). Now everywhere I go... people say I look great, in fashion, styled...

People judge you on clothes....

Now, I am not with the fashionita anymore... but I definitely learn the lessons, took pictures of the arrangements (to give myself a model) and I keep within that.

You want matching colors, style and colors arrangements, match the quality of fabric (textile with textile, leather with leather or cotton etc... You want the quality of the material to match)... You can build contrast.

When I have a blue shirt - my suit is bluer, tie is in the dark blue.

When I wear a white t-shirt, my shirt is black, my suit black.

So have dress shoes and quality walking shoes.

You don't have to pay 300$ .... you can get them on sales day... or find good shop where you will have ''goodlooking and good quality stuff that ressemble the higher end... but half the price''

Example: I bought 2 Hugo Boss Dress Shirt at 300$ a piece.... 2 months later I got to my usual cloths shop... I see the same Hugo Boss shirt... exempt they made by Jack Victor for 75$ a piece.... Same shirt in look, might differ in quality, but totally different price. So now I have 5 time the same shirt from 2 brands.

Shoes are the same. Steve Madden at 70$ could escape you the ''Hermes 3000$'' for the same look.

Always have shoes, shoes fit your style... so dress shoes with certains type of pants... reserve the running/walking shoes for Jeans etc..

Here's a book suggestion: ''Dress for success'' by John T Molloy

Also get something to clean your shoes... a polish that work on the type of shoes you get... I use mine even on my old walking shoes to hide the ''overusage lol''

Have 2 pairs of each (I am a big fan of having 2 of each ... for in case)

SuckItUp

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Shoes are extremely important. Ever seen a guy with a great suit who has shoes that don’t match? It sticks out like a sore thumb.

Men should have around 9-11 pairs of shoes, which includes athletic shoes.

The key is to recognize what fashion works for you.

Find a gay friend or a fashion mace to help you pick out clothes. Or look at fashion trends to see what “plays” so to speak. The key to fashion is to look well put together and not slovenly. That’s why exercise is so important aside from obvious health reasons.

Ironing clothes and keeping clothes fitting well makes a huge difference.

The other part is understanding how to dress for where you are going.

Assume that as soon as you leave your domicile sex could happen and dress and groom as such.

hockeyfreak79

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

I found a pair of $350 Mephistos at local thift store for 5 bucks. 15+yrs in business casual work environment so went through plenty of dress shoes. Good luck with the EEEEEEEE, geeze.

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

I found a pair of $350 Mephistos at local thift store for 5 bucks. 15+yrs in business casual work environment so went through plenty of dress shoes. Good luck with the EEEEEEEE, geeze.
Thrifting is the key man. It’ll make you look great for minimal prices

Masculinity

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
(NOTE: I thought that there would be a subforum dedicated to fashion, but I did not see one, so I am posting it here.)

I seem to be at a stage of life when the next generation is now getting married, or my contemporary friends have finally aged into women their age no longer being picky, and thus they are getting married too, LOL - and so I need to get a proper wardrobe for that (my house got totally flooded 13 years ago, and I hadn't gotten to replacing my "dress wardrobe" until recently).

I have "Barney Rubble" feet, EEEE with a high instep, so my options are but limited, even online. My regular shoes are a pair of very nice leather "boat shoes" ($130!) that are super comfortable, but as they get worn, they start looking bad; looking at nice loafers though, I think that my shoes as new could suffice - and my default option is to simply buy a new pair of these shoes when I need to dress up, and eventually I'll get to the point where I have a pair of good shoes and a pair of beaters. (My current SOP is to buy a new pair every year, as that's about how long the soles last.)

But when I look around for "dress shoes", I don't seem to see what I would consider "dress shoes". That said, I have seen some nice dress loafers, but I'm not going to pay $400 for something I rarely use. I should also say that before I got tired of tight-fitting shoes, I had a pair of EEE alligator boots that were my regular "social" shoes that were definitely nice enough to wear as "dress".

Anyway, I'd like to get some opinions on this.
Nobody in their right mind should pay $400 for a footwear, unless you're a fanatic of some kind ignoring logic.

Dress shoes ought to be in every man's warsdrobe, regardless of age. Women and people in general judge you based on what clothes, shoes and accessories you wear, along with your hygiene and how you smell. It's sad and superficial but it's simply the way it works. Women are particularly responsive to a great outfit.

People will treat you differently when you wear a tshirt and jeans as opposed to business causal attire. People will call you "sir" much more with the latter choice.

IKO69

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes, I wear dress shoes when I go to work. It's required as i'm in finance - have to wear suit and tie.

You don't however have to spend a greal deal though....I think I spent no more than $200-300 on my different leather shoes. Most people are NOT going to know or even care that they aren't Ferragamo..that's something guys get in their heads and allow it to **** them up.

There was some good advice given in this thread. There are places you can buy decent dress type shoes for like $100 or so...again the name brand doesn't really matter, it's the look that does and it still looks better than wearing ****ing tennis shoes with jeans, shorts, even slacks (i've seen this **** and not professionals who slip into them on the way home either) which is what most guys wear. Women of course also will respond to you better. You have to know your audience. If women put great effort into and spend a lot of time on their appearance before going out, then don't you think you should maybe give a little more consideration to how you look before doing the same? I know we have those clowns on here that are like "Men aren't supposed to be pretty and worry about their looks, that's a woman's job". Retards, it's to your benefit to not look like you just rolled out of bed and slipped into whatever was laying on the floor.

Last edited: