Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

cyclist's right to the road

do you thing cyclists should have a right to be on the road

• yes

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • no

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • yes but less so then cars

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I guy in my bike club was hit by a truck and killed about a month ago. The last time I saw him was on a previous ride I was leading and I had to tell him to stay in a single file pace line on a busy stretch of road. I don't know how it happened but I have a gut feeling that he did something similar, he wasn't the most defensive rider. My club gives defensive riding clinics a few times a year for new rides.

However, there are a ton of @sshole drivers that buzz cyclist or turn in front of them not knowing that we can usually ride as fast as they can drive on certain thoroughfares. They think that we should ride on sidewalks where the speed limit is 10mph but are sure as hell surprised when we pass them on roads that are 20 or 25mph.

It would be nice if more bike lanes were made or shoulders widened on roads. Until then it would be nice if drivers would be tested on how to share the roads with cyclists before being given their license. Hell, at least teach them how to use their turn signals!

I've ridden in western Europe where drivers are typically more aggressive however they seem to all respect cyclist. Hell, I've ridden in Canada and those drivers are as nice as the Europeans. Here in the state we have to contend with @ssholes who are goaded by radio personalities into throwing glass bottles at cyclist on the road. What the fvck gives?

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by Francisco d'Anconia
Until then it would be nice if drivers would be tested on how to share the roads with cyclists before being given their license. Hell, at least teach them how to use their turn signals!

Actually, that IS covered in the manual you have to study to get your license. Yes, there are bad drivers who are inconsiderate to cyclists. However, anyone riding on the streets should have to have a license. Motorcyclists have to get a special license and so should bicyclists. I can't even count the number of times I have seen bicyclists riding on roads they have no business being on. I remember one incident where I was driving a van full of handicapped people to a county fair. There were around ten bicyclists on the narrow, hilly and twisty road. You could not pass them, they were going VERY slow and there was a line of traffic backed up behind them as far as the eye could see. That is extremely inconsiderate and rude for bicyclists to ride on roads where they cause traffic congestion and a hazard.

I don't mind bicyclists who are courteous to the other people using the road. But I despise the a$$hole bicyclists who think it's their "right" to own the road without having any responsibilities. Some think the right of way is always theirs and they don't have to follow any etiquette. Bicyclist should HAVE to get a special license to use the road just like people who drive cars and motorcycles...period.

check_mate_kid_uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
women drivers! not our fault you cant over take properly, but i guess your not the worst van driver, iv had a driver try and squueze me off the road by attempting to over take me yards before a bridge. When i saw the fcukeri had to pull out in to the middle of the road so that he could not overtake. Apprntly he did not read the sign saying "do not over take cyclists under the bridge"

WesCottII

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Wyldfire
I remember one incident where I was driving a van full of handicapped people to a county fair.
Am i wrong to have found that funny?

In any case, my opinion is that Wlyd is right. Cyclists should get a license to go on the road, as she rightly points out, a motorcyclist (ie. Me) has to. Anyone using the road has to be in sync with what everyone else is doing, and in my experience, cyclists do whatever they please.

check_mate_kid_uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by WesCottII
Am i wrong to have found that funny?

In any case, my opinion is that Wlyd is right. Cyclists should get a license to go on the road, as she rightly points out, a motorcyclist (ie. Me) has to. Anyone using the road has to be in sync with what everyone else is doing, and in my experience, cyclists do whatever they please.
i know what im doing but i agree that so many others do not, and there should be compolsery training for it. The only problem is the second you introduce that suddenly the number of cyclists plunge, and the authoritys do not want that to happen. I guess the only way they can do that is teach it in schools as part of the compolsery ciriculm.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by check_mate_kid_uk
women drivers! not our fault you cant over take properly, but i guess your not the worst van driver, iv had a driver try and squueze me off the road by attempting to over take me yards before a bridge. When i saw the fcukeri had to pull out in to the middle of the road so that he could not overtake. Apprntly he did not read the sign saying "do not over take cyclists under the bridge"
No cars, vans, trucks or otherwise can "overtake" a long trail of a dozen cyclists on a twisty and hilly road that doesn't allow any passing at all. That's why the idiots should NOT have been on that road because even cars can't pass each other on it. It's one sharp turn after another and lots of hills.

I happen to be a great driver. I got my license 21 years ago and have never had an accident or even a speeding ticket.

Again...bicyclists should be fined for violations and be required to have a license if they are going to be on the road...just like everyone else.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
i know what im doing but i agree that so many others do not, and there should be compolsery training for it. The only problem is the second you introduce that suddenly the number of cyclists plunge, and the authoritys do not want that to happen. I guess the only way they can do that is teach it in schools as part of the compolsery ciriculm.
It will only discourage the jacka$$es who make themselves a hazard to the safety of everyone else, and I think that's a GOOD thing.

check_mate_kid_uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It will only discourage the jacka$$es who make themselves a hazard to the safety of everyone else, and I think that's a GOOD thing.
No it will discourage most people, only real enthusiasts and commueters will cycle on road. Here the goverment are woried about introducing laws making helmets compolsery, so if that stops people cycling think what needing a licesne would do. Oh and whats worse, beeing a but delayed by a cyclist, or being 1 of over 3000 people killed every year by other driver, weather its a cyclist another driver or a pedestrian.

WesCottII

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

I happen to be a great driver. I got my license 21 years ago and have never had an accident or even a speeding ticket.

No Wyld, that doesn't make you great, it makes you competent. A great driver is someone who can drive like the girl from Jackie Chan's "who am i?" (think it's that film). You're just OK.

No need for that arrogance.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
No it will discourage most people, only real enthusiasts and commueters will cycle on road. Here the goverment are woried about introducing laws making helmets compolsery, so if that stops people cycling think what needing a licesne would do. Oh and whats worse, beeing a but delayed by a cyclist, or being 1 of over 3000 people killed every year by other driver, weather its a cyclist another driver or a pedestrian.
I think it would be WONDERFUL to get anyone who isn't serious enough about SAFETY to take a licensing test off the roadway. And helmets SHOULD be mandatory...and only a moron would ride without one in traffic.

A "bit" delayed? That incident I spoke of held up traffic for OVER an hour. If a bike can't keep up with traffic then they have NO business being on the road, period.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
No Wyld, that doesn't make you great, it makes you competent. A great driver is someone who can drive like the girl from Jackie Chan's "who am i?" (think it's that film). You're just OK.

No need for that arrogance.
No...I'm a great driver. I've managed to avoid many would be accidents due to the sh*tty driving of others and inclement weather. I used to have to drive 45 minutes to work for 3rd shift during blizzards before any plowing, salting or sanding was done. I've never even slid off the road before.

WesCottII

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So? Still doesn't make you great. My dad has been driving 32 years. He's never had an accident. Does that make him great? Greater than you? No. Makes him the level he should be after passing his test.

check_mate_kid_uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wyldfire you say all cyclists should be tested, there is deffintly argument for this case, but what about drivers being re-tested. I have seen a program called britians worst drivers, 1 for examples staled the car on a bust junction, another took 17 points to do a 3 point turn. I think drivers should be re tested every 5 or 10 years, just because you passed a test when you where 20 does not mean you are competent to drive when you are 60 and havent touched a car for the last 15 years. That liscence does not make you magicly good enough to drive.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Wyldfire you say all cyclists should be tested, there is deffintly argument for this case, but what about drivers being re-tested. I have seen a program called britians worst drivers, 1 for examples staled the car on a bust junction, another took 17 points to do a 3 point turn. I think drivers should be re tested every 5 or 10 years, just because you passed a test when you where 20 does not mean you are competent to drive when you are 60 and havent touched a car for the last 15 years. That liscence does not make you magicly good enough to drive.
I have no problem with re-testing people who drive cars, motorcycles, big trucks, etc. I actually think it would be a good idea because as people get older they forget things. Up to age 50 people should be re-tested every 10 years. Then every 5 years until 65 and then every 2 years from then on.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
So? Still doesn't make you great. My dad has been driving 32 years. He's never had an accident. Does that make him great? Greater than you? No. Makes him the level he should be after passing his test.
Has your father had to commute via Spaghetti Junction in Atlanta doing 85 mph in bumper to bumper traffic with 5 narrow lanes each way of drivers weaving in and out? When someone drives under the worst conditions for a long period of time (blizzards before plowing occurs with snow drifts, low visibility, black ice, horrendous traffic, etc) and never gotten into any accidents or gotten any tickets it qualifies them as being a great driver. Seeing as you have never been a passenger with me behind the wheel under very bad conditions I don't believe you are in any position to state whether I am a great driver or not. However, seeing as I AM aware of how I drive, I think it's safe to say that I'm a much better authority on the subject of MY driving then you are.

check_mate_kid_uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
85mph? dont you have speed limits, here in the UK the speed limit on the motor way is 70mph although i must say, it is totaly ignored, cars tend to cruise at about 80mph, you get the odd nutters doing 110mph

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
85mph? dont you have speed limits, here in the UK the speed limit on the motor way is 70mph although i must say, it is totaly ignored, cars tend to cruise at about 80mph, you get the odd nutters doing 110mph
The speed limit there isn't over 65mph, but you can't do just 65 mph when everyone else is doing 85mph and it's bumper to bumper or you'll cause a wreck. You have to keep the pace with the rest of traffic or you'll cause a hellacious pile up for miles. It's not like most city traffic that comes to a grinding halt when it's bumper to bumper. I've never seen any place quite like it before. I'm not sure if it's still that bad now because I lived there many years ago shortly after Spaghetti Junction was opened. Your heart felt like it was literally in your throat until you got further out away from Atlanta.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Although this list is something I found on a satirical site...this list is actually SO TRUE about driving in Atlanta. :D

Basic Rules of Driving in Metro Atlanta

1. A right lane construction closure is just a game to see how many people can cut in
line by passing you on the right as you sit in the left lane waiting for the same jerks to
squeeze their way back in before hitting construction barrels.

2. Turn signals are just clues as to your next move in road battle so never use them.

3. Under no circumstances should you leave a safe distance between you and the car
in front of you, no matter how fast you're going. If you do, the space will be filled in
by somebody else putting you in an even more dangerous situation.

4. Large SUV drivers think they're immortal (especially if they have 4WD); don't
succumb to the temptation to test this theory.

5. The faster you drive through a red light, the smaller the chance you have of getting hit.

6. Never get in the way of a car that needs extensive body work. (Remember no-fault
insurance, he might not have much to lose, you do.)

7. Braking is to be done as hard and late as possible to insure that your ABS kicks in
giving a nice relaxing foot massage as the brake pedal pulsates.

8. Construction signs tell you about road closures immediately after you pass the exit
before the traffic begins to back up.

9. The new electronic traffic warning system signs are not there to provide useful
information, they're there just to make Atlanta look high-tech.

10. Never pass on the left when you can pass on the right. It's a good way to scare
people entering the highway.

11. Speed limits (84.1 mph average on the Perimeter) are arbitrary figures, given only as
suggestions and apparently not enforceable in the metro area during rush hour.

12. Just because you're in the left lane and have no room to speed up or move over
doesn't mean that an Atlanta driver flashing his high beams behind you doesn't
think he can go faster in your spot.

13. Please remember that there is no such thing as a shortcut during rush-hour
traffic in Atlanta.

14. Always slow down and rubberneck when you see an accident or even a person
changing a tire. It might be more interesting than the articles in last week's
National Enquirer.

15. Throwing litter on the roads adds variety to the landscape, keeps the existing
litter from getting lonely and gives Adopt-a-Mile highway crews something
to clean up.

16. Everybody thinks their vehicle is better than yours (especially pickup truck
drivers with stickers of Calvin peeing on a Ford, Dodge or Chevy logo).

17. Learn to swerve abruptly. Atlanta is the home of high-speed slalom driving
thanks to GDOT, which puts potholes in key locations to test drivers'
reflexes and keep them on their toes.

18. It is traditional in Atlanta to honk your horn at cars that don't move the instant
the light changes.

19. When the light turns green, put the pedal to the metal; gas is cheap in Atlanta,
pollution is a myth and this is a drag race isn't it?

20. Seeking eye contact with another driver revokes your right of way.

21. Never take a green light at face value. Always look right and left before proceeding.

22. If you smoke, never, ever, use your ash tray to dispose of your cigarette butts. Instead,
flick them out of your window while they're still lit. This contributes to the landscape
along Georgia's highways, and motorcyclists love it when a lit cigarette butt hits them
in the face.

23. Remember that the goal of every Atlanta driver is to get there first, by whatever
means necessary. AND DON'T FORGET! YOU MIGHT AS WELL STAY
AT HOME IF IT'S RAINING OR SNOWING!