Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Crypto trading

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaygreenb

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You speak like they already don't

I am in the UK tensions are rising rapidly against our corrupt fraudulent government i think we see rioting next here for sure and i can imagine the climate won't be much different in the states
Of course they don't by some to an extent but masses still use it, including yourself. Everyone still transacts and uses their currency in western nations. If there is a currency collapse or hyper inflation it will get to a point where people do not want to accept it for goods and services, wages etc. We are not there yet, although the percentage of the population is realizing it. It comes in stages. When they roll out a new system if it is rejected by the masses it will not work. That is why they often have to go to some sort of gold standard to instill confidence.

jaygreenb

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
First gold backed digital currencies, then the ole' switch to fiat backed.
Human nature is always the same, politicians and central banks will inevitably always try to do what is best for them. This is one of the reasons I am a supporter of bitcoin. Nobody can change the rules. Even when on the gold standard, the gold is stored in a centralized place usually by the people who eventually corrupt the system

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Human nature is always the same, politicians and central banks will inevitably always try to do what is best for them. This is one of the reasons I am a supporter of bitcoin. Nobody can change the rules. Even when on the gold standard, the gold is stored in a centralized place usually by the people who eventually corrupt the system
Let's say you are the dictator of a country and control everything. What is your motivation to allow crypto to exist? It cheats you out of the sweet deal of controlling your country's currency. Why would any government give up that privilege?

jaygreenb

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Let's say you are the dictator of a country and control everything. What is your motivation to allow crypto to exist? It cheats you out of the sweet deal of controlling your country's currency. Why would any government give up that privilege?
I'm sure some countries will try to ban it as some have, some will embrace it. Here in lies the problem, it would be similar to trying to ban the internet. As a country you would be left behind and all that capital and brain power would go to another country. Not only would top talent citizens leave they would be leaving trillions in tax revenue on the table. It has already been deemed as private property and free speech by the courts. Bitcoin is going to treated like a commodity. If they were going to ban they would have had to do it years ago. It is too decentralized and entrenched now with citizens, corporations and politicians who have a highly vested interest to defend it. The only way you could truly get rid of it is turn off the internet to world forever. We have never had an asset so portable before, you can memorize you wallet passcode and have billions, making it very easy to leave with your wealth. As opposed say stocks or real estate where they can freeze your accounts. As far as Bitcoin goes, it has been made very clear in Western countries it will be embraced. If they don't want it to be used a currency pretty easy to do, just leave the current tax structure where any transaction is a taxable event. Bitcoin and the rest of crypto are two completely different assets and will be treated that way.

That being said, there will be heavy regulations for the rest of crypto. 99% of them are going to fail or are a legit scam. Similar to the tech boom in the 90's, most of this stuff will get washed out. There will be a handful that have massive impact though.

Last edited:

jaygreenb

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
@BackInTheGame78 Hearing rumors kucoin is having issues and is going to limit withdrawals. I remember you saying you used them, I do too. Might be a good idea to take anything off if you have anything there.

Everyone else, get any coins you have off exchanges immediately. If you need help, i'll walk you through it. Would not delay in doing this, a lot of serious issues going on with many of them right now.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nah, you said the same at 3k too lol I have a lot more cash ready this time around
This thread was started in 2021 and btc hasn't been 3k since 2018. It does take a lot of humility to beg people to sell the ponzi scheme you have been selling, so at least good for you in that regard.

jaygreenb

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This thread was started in 2021 and btc hasn't been 3k since 2018. It does take a lot of humility to beg people to sell the ponzi scheme you have been selling, so at least good for you in that regard.
Yes, we had this same exact conversation back then, you even said that exact phrase. Just takes time, consistency and patience. Here is the thread to jog your memory.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just takes time, consistency and patience.
No, it just takes an industry purchasing all of the politicians who might regulate it. That's why this stupidity has been allowed to exist this long, blatant corruption.

Robert Reich wrote a recent article about. He points out that Bill Clinton cooperating with Republicans to end glass steagall paved the way for everyone to get screwed on crypto

At least you can admit now that crypto is a scam, except for the one you own, right? You changed your tune about all the others, but you promise this time that you won't reverse course again. You could have a future in politics, man.

jaygreenb

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No, it just takes an industry purchasing all of the politicians who might regulate it. That's why this stupidity has been allowed to exist this long, blatant corruption.

Robert Reich wrote a recent article about. He points out that Bill Clinton cooperating with Republicans to end glass steagall paved the way for everyone to get screwed on crypto

At least you can admit now that crypto is a scam, except for the one you own, right? You changed your tune about all the others, but you promise this time that you won't reverse course again. You could have a future in politics, man.
Please show me where I said all these small cap alt coins and meme coins weren't a scam. You can't, I have always said that most were complete garbage and stay away. My message has been consistent, stick with bitcoin and if you want to speculate on defi/smart contracts you can do some ETH too. Dollar cost average and don't expect to get rich overnight. 99% of crypto out there is at best highly speculative tech but the majority were scams/money grabs.

I actually welcome regulation so a lot of the BS out there gets cleaned up. Bitcoin and the rest of crypto are two completely different types of assets. Hence, why Gensler stated that pretty much only Bitcoin was a commodity. You are just making up fake points to support your arguments, giving me flashbacks to my BPD relationship that originally brought me to this site 10yrs ago.

Bingo-Player

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The technicals and economics of bitcoin can be argued all day long

A lot are sold on it being the future , i'm not sure but whatever

However nobody can deny bitcoin relies on a lot of speculation and positive sentiment from it's holders

And this is a factor i think a lot are forgetting...... you have a lot of investors and even organisations who were sold into bitcoin at 40,50,60K

They are currently staring at massive losses in the face of inflation and a looming recession two things crypto was heralded as being a safe haven AGAINST last year

Now its all very well for those who bought it at under 10K and to some extent under 20K to say ok well just buckle up and enjoy the ride

But the fact is the mugs who have bought in at 50-60K are now starting to realise they've been sold down the river

How exactly do you propose bitcoin regains the trust of the market to be able to gain the kind of upward momentum required to move it back unto 60K ? i just can't fathom what catalyst could possibly trigger it

We will literally never see another unicorn event in our lifetimes where central banks around the world pump billions of fake money into the system ?

I'm sorry but the only way i see bitcoin and crypto going is down to nothing.

jaygreenb

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The technicals and economics of bitcoin can be argued all day long

A lot are sold on it being the future , i'm not sure but whatever

However nobody can deny bitcoin relies on a lot of speculation and positive sentiment from it's holders

And this is a factor i think a lot are forgetting...... you have a lot of investors and even organisations who were sold into bitcoin at 40,50,60K

They are currently staring at massive losses in the face of inflation and a looming recession two things crypto was heralded as being a safe haven AGAINST last year

Now its all very well for those who bought it at under 10K and to some extent under 20K to say ok well just buckle up and enjoy the ride

But the fact is the mugs who have bought in at 50-60K are now starting to realise they've been sold down the river

How exactly do you propose bitcoin regains the trust of the market to be able to gain the kind of upward momentum required to move it back unto 60K ? i just can't fathom what catalyst could possibly trigger it

We will literally never see another unicorn event in our lifetimes where central banks around the world pump billions of fake money into the system ?

I'm sorry but the only way i see bitcoin and crypto going is down to nothing.
Bitcoin has gone through these cycles many times over and over, you could of said the same thing each time. However each cycle adds to the growing base of people who understand it and realize the value prop and hold/accumulate. All metrics show this trend, can't really dispute the numbers. Price in the short term is one of the least important metrics. Like all networks the value grows as more people participate. Until there is mass adoption, there are going to be these cycles and those that don't understand it or took on too much leverage will get washed out. Then a base forms and goes through another growth trend. This is how free markets actually work and it is healthy long term.

A number of events could trigger another rush. Hyper inflation, debt market implosion, authoritarian countries freezing peoples assets, bank failures. There are many properties that fit different situations. With the current climate and everything going on I personally feel more comfortable holding Bitcoin and precious metals that I have in self custody over anything else. Other people may not feel the same, and that is fine. Prices of everything are going to be extremely volatile because of the destruction of our money. Look at the price of gold during the weimar inflation, it was all over the place and if you had leverage you got shaken out.

Majority of crypto is not needed. The fact is the majority is not decentralized and doesn't really need to be or operate on the blockchain. They are just riding the hype wave. Money/value and maybe a few other applications would benefit from the set up. The properties that matter are decentralized. secure, liquid, set rules that can't be changed, ability to hold/transact without a 3rd party. No other crypto is anywhere close to BTC in that.

Everyone has to make their own choice, I am comfortable with mine.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Bitcoin has gone through these cycles many times over and over, you could of said the same thing each time. However each cycle adds to the growing base of people who understand it and realize the value prop and hold/accumulate. All metrics show this trend, can't really dispute the numbers. Price in the short term is one of the least important metrics. Like all networks the value grows as more people participate. Until there is mass adoption, there are going to be these cycles and those that don't understand it or took on too much leverage will get washed out. Then a base forms and goes through another growth trend. This is how free markets actually work and it is healthy long term.

A number of events could trigger another rush. Hyper inflation, debt market implosion, authoritarian countries freezing peoples assets, bank failures. There are many properties that fit different situations. With the current climate and everything going on I personally feel more comfortable holding Bitcoin and precious metals that I have in self custody over anything else. Other people may not feel the same, and that is fine. Prices of everything are going to be extremely volatile because of the destruction of our money. Look at the price of gold during the weimar inflation, it was all over the place and if you had leverage you got shaken out.

Majority of crypto is not needed. The fact is the majority is not decentralized and doesn't really need to be or operate on the blockchain. They are just riding the hype wave. Money/value and maybe a few other applications would benefit from the set up. The properties that matter are decentralized. secure, liquid, set rules that can't be changed, ability to hold/transact without a 3rd party. No other crypto is anywhere close to BTC in that.

Everyone has to make their own choice, I am comfortable with mine.
I'm looking at Greyscale Bitcoin Trust trading at a 35% discount and wondering if you have any insights into that?

jaygreenb

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm looking at Greyscale Bitcoin Trust trading at a 35% discount and wondering if you have any insights into that?
I do actually, I converted an old work retirement account to GBTC in 2017 and have been following it. Buying it now at a discount is basically a play that you think it gets converted to an ETF where that negative premium would get closed in to the Net Asset Value since you would be able to redeem directly for the bitcoin. I think that does happen at some point but it was recently rejected by the SEC, not sure why Gensler has such an issue with it, but he does. Greyscale just opened a lawsuit but not sure if that will be effective. It very well may take years to get converted, just do not know. In the meantime the structure of the fund is 2% fee every year which is far from ideal. Up until early 2021 the premium was actually positive 20-30%. A lot of hedge funds and individuals where actually putting in bitcoin for shares, then selling those shares to collect the premium. I think that is part of the reason it went negative.

Personally, I would rather just own the real bitcoin since there are a lot of unknowns at play and I think GBTC is a giant honey pot for the government if they ever wanted to confiscate. You lose a lot of the benefits of Bitcoin owning GBTC but there is the potential upside of closing the premium. Here is a pretty good video talking about it.

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I do actually, I converted an old work retirement account to GBTC in 2017 and have been following it. Buying it now at a discount is basically a play that you think it gets converted to an ETF where that negative premium would get closed in to the Net Asset Value since you would be able to redeem directly for the bitcoin. I think that does happen at some point but it was recently rejected by the SEC, not sure why Gensler has such an issue with it, but he does. Greyscale just opened a lawsuit but not sure if that will be effective. It very well may take years to get converted, just do not know. In the meantime the structure of the fund is 2% fee every year which is far from ideal. Up until early 2021 the premium was actually positive 20-30%. A lot of hedge funds and individuals where actually putting in bitcoin for shares, then selling those shares to collect the premium. I think that is part of the reason it went negative.

Personally, I would rather just own the real bitcoin since there are a lot of unknowns at play and I think GBTC is a giant honey pot for the government if they ever wanted to confiscate. You lose a lot of the benefits of Bitcoin owning GBTC but there is the potential upside of closing the premium. Here is a pretty good video talking about it.

Oh wow so this kind of like a trust that holds BTC.. so can only get traded during market hours right? Kind of like an ETF?

jaygreenb

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh wow so this kind of like a trust that holds BTC.. so can only get traded during market hours right? Kind of like an ETF?
Yes, exactly what it is. It is a trust but is trying to convert to an ETF. Can only be traded during market hours

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree, a lot of it depends on what the Fed decides to do as far as timing. No rush to get into anything right now

The problem with this is if we get to any sort of historical norm in interests rates. All assets tied to cheap debt take a complete nosedive, mass bankruptcies of personal, corporate and govts, pension funds go belly up, max layoffs, tax receipts dry up etc Going to be an interesting decade..
not necessarily. Temporarily.

Assets tied to debt benefit from high inflation, and high interest rates are a symptom of high inflation.

currently my mortgage capital is being reduced by 8% annually.

jaygreenb

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
not necessarily. Temporarily.

Assets tied to debt benefit from high inflation, and high interest rates are a symptom of high inflation.

currently my mortgage capital is being reduced by 8% annually.
Assets tied to debt are also are heavily impacted by increasing interest rates such as Tech and Real estate. Parts of the economy will have fits of deflation while others inflation, most likely energy and consumables. An increase in a couple percentage points to mortgages will also crash equity values with the decrease in consumer purchasing power. Anyone who bought in the past 2 years will most likely be underwater at some point. Add in the increased rates will push lay offs much higher as well. A lot of moving parts and variables.

Status
Not open for further replies.