Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin killed

check_mate_kid_uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was shocked when i turned over to the news today. Whats weird is that he messes around with so many dangerous animals and ends up being killed by a fish. Worldwide 17 people have been killed by stingrays in the last 10 years and in that time there must have been millions of scuba dives done so its not a dangerous fish either.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm just glad that a croc didn't take him down. The press would have had a field day with that.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Shezz said:
Maybe he should have used more Sunblock? To protect him from the Harmful Rays?

Sarge On...

lol that was so stupid it was funny

But it was bound to happen. It's sad, sure. He did so much for wildlift, tv, charities etc, and hes got the family, but, considering what he did for a living...:trouble:

ElChoclo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think I was watching him play with a spitting cobra on TV around about when he must have died. TV makes you think you are familiar with someone even if the two of you don't know each other at all.

I have heard of this happening before to a fisherman who caught a ray, so although it is uncommon, in the circumstances of handling a ray, it is very foreseeable.

He had to keep expanding his repetoire to please the audiences, and maybe he just didn't have the experience necessary for marine animals.

I suppose it just goes to show what every tourist knows about Australia. It has enough things in it which can kill you to kill just about anyone. At least he died in his own country.

thefonz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The guy certainly cheated death for a long time. Anybody who jumps off a moving SUV onto a rhino's back gets respect in my book

RIP

Ace of Flames

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Everywhere you want to be.... I'm like a Visa card
Can't say you didn't expect it eventually, but still, what a way to go...

My condolences to his family. RIP. See ya in paradise mate! We all know you're up there!

Yotsuya-san

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Ace of Flames said:
Can't say you didn't expect it eventually, but still, what a way to go...
QUOTE]

Well, we all remember how close Roy Horn got with that tiger accident, but many think it was poetic justice. However, the thing about the Croc-Man, he was about respecting animals in their native environment, not about taking them out of nature, claiming to tame them and exploiting them for exhibitionist Vegas acts. You have to give Steve Erwin props there. He wasn't about taming nature, he was about dealing with nature on it's terms.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
DJDamage said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Okp5FTKOB4

Kinda eerie being in a commercial about being stung once by a deadly animal, saying "In my line of work if you are not absolutely sure you are absolutely dead" and then dropping dead.
Be on the watch for the actual video from the documentary that was being filmed showing his swim and him actually pulling the stinger out of his chest before he died.

Scrumtulescence

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ElChoclo said:
I have heard of this happening before to a fisherman who caught a ray, so although it is uncommon, in the circumstances of handling a ray, it is very foreseeable.
He wasn't "handling" the ray. It was a complete freak accident; he just dove into the water at the wrong spot at the wrong time. It was also extreme bad luck that he was punctured right through the heart. He was just really, really unlucky.

Pretty amazing that he dies this way, after decades of handling the most dangerous wild animals on earth without any incidents.

ElChoclo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
He wasn't handling it Scrumtulescence, but the relevance of the story is, that if you get within range, it puts a hole in you.

He didn't just dive in, he had a camera man in front then swam over it. It should be quite obvious to anyone that something which is called a stingray has some sort of dangerous tail. Since they sit on the sand, it should be quite obvious that the tail is designed to go upwards, not downwards.

It should be quite obvious that if threatened it might use it defensively. Tiger sharks eat stingrays, so what would someone the size of a man look like as it came over a stingray?

I went swimming in an area close to that area a few years back and saw some Lagoon Stingrays whilst snorkelling. I had a vague recollection of the fisherman story so I wasn't going to swim over the mother. I had Speedos on and I wouldn't have wanted to get a barb in the testicles let alone anthing else. And I am not a marine expert.

It wasn't a freak incident. He had been bitten before by snakes. Unfortunately people tend to underestimate the danger of having a hole made in their torso.

Scrumtulescence

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ElChoclo said:
He wasn't handling it Scrumtulescence, but the relevance of the story is, that if you get within range, it puts a hole in you.

He didn't just dive in, he had a camera man in front then swam over it. It should be quite obvious to anyone that something which is called a stingray has some sort of dangerous tail. Since they sit on the sand, it should be quite obvious that the tail is designed to go upwards, not downwards.

It should be quite obvious that if threatened it might use it defensively. Tiger sharks eat stingrays, so what would someone the size of a man look like as it came over a stingray?

I went swimming in an area close to that area a few years back and saw some Lagoon Stingrays whilst snorkelling. I had a vague recollection of the fisherman story so I wasn't going to swim over the mother. I had Speedos on and I wouldn't have wanted to get a barb in the testicles let alone anthing else. And I am not a marine expert.
http://www.sosuave.net/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1007231
It wasn't a freak incident. He had been bitten before by snakes. Unfortunately people tend to underestimate the danger of having a hole made in their torso.
That's all nice and good, except for the part about fatalities from stingrays being extraordinarily rare. Being killed by a stingray is indeed a freak accident, unless it's intentionally provoked and chased after.

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Crikeys! indeed. RIP, Steve.

Skel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Play pattycake pattycake with alligators is fun

DJDamage

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It sound like this woman is just a bitter old feminist cvnt. No wonder she took a shoot at a man who lived life dangerously according to his own rules.

Greer's greatest contribution to the world was her attempt - through The Female Eunuch - to make a whole generation of women feel ashamed for getting married and having children.

StrangeButTrue

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
At least, according to wikipedia that is, it was a giant ****in' stingray. A "Bull Stingray" they're called, and it had a wingspan of six feet or so, being the largest known species of ray.

I woulda felt even worse if it was some little **** stingray. At least he died in a way befitting a man who dedicated himself to nature and lived his life dangerously and without fear.

RIP Steve.

PheonixUK

Don Juan
Reaction score