Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

**** Corporate America slavery

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is a good thread. I spent about 20 years in the corporate workforce, although in a sector that's more laid back and interesting (to me). Nevertheless, by about 40, I thought, I must be able to do better than this, for myself.

I had always thought if I worked long enough I'd retire in the sun on the Mediterranean. Well, I quit my job, moved to southern Europe, and set up something remote for myself. Now I live one block from the Mediterranean, I work (mostly) on my schedule, and I find time for more creative endeavors and exercise.

I'm not saying it's easy as 1,2,3, and it was a small gamble. But once I committed to the decision to try a different way, things started to fall into place. The thing is, I make half (sometimes less) what I was pulling in the corporate world in the US, but I don't need much to live the good life. My main concerns are eliminating what's left of a debt I had, and contributing more toward retirement, but that will sort itself out, too.

Of course, I still work for a "corporation," albeit a small one. I'll always have a boss. It's just a difference in balance and control over my own life.

justhe_justin

Don Juan
Reaction score
This is a good thread. I spent about 20 years in the corporate workforce, although in a sector that's more laid back and interesting (to me). Nevertheless, by about 40, I thought, I must be able to do better than this, for myself.

I had always thought if I worked long enough I'd retire in the sun on the Mediterranean. Well, I quit my job, moved to southern Europe, and set up something remote for myself. Now I live one block from the Mediterranean, I work (mostly) on my schedule, and I find time for more creative endeavors and exercise.

I'm not saying it's easy as 1,2,3, and it was a small gamble. But once I committed to the decision to try a different way, things started to fall into place. The thing is, I make half (sometimes less) what I was pulling in the corporate world in the US, but I don't need much to live the good life. My main concerns are eliminating what's left of a debt I had, and contributing more toward retirement, but that will sort itself out, too.

Of course, I still work for a "corporation," albeit a small one. I'll always have a boss. It's just a difference in balance and control over my own life.
This sounds amazing. I too dream to relocate to a different country and work remotely on my own terms. I'll be 30 next month. Still piecing an exact plan together at the moment.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This sounds amazing. I too dream to relocate to a different country and work remotely on my own terms. I'll be 30 next month. Still piecing an exact plan together at the moment.
Good for you. My experience was 1) come up with a plan and 2) be flexible within that plan. But like I said, once I committed to the decision, I started finding all kinds of support, resources, etc. You'll be surprised how many people will say "I know someone who lives there, let me put you in touch." And of course since you're on Sosuave you're probably the proactive type, so you know you'll find a way.

I'm at a point where I'm kind of scraping by due to COVID, but I'm not stressed out about it. More living in the moment and trusting myself to figure it out.

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do it! That's going to expand your mind! And if you have anything here in the states "holding you back", or "stealing your attention" you will leave it in the dust.

DEEZEDBRAH

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I meant from your escape from corporate. What are you doing now?

metalwater

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
been doing this for some time. one of the slick ways to do it is to get the assignment from a company where you are from. not if, but when you do it make sure to take care of your entitlements and understand any tax treaty in the place you end up assuming you want to keep citizenship of the place you are from. make sure you have a viable way to go back in case it doesn't work like you plan. I have seen many a man living in some very unforgiving places that just went on faith and when they are out of money an embassy tells them that it is their own problem. homeless and poor in other places can be much worse than in America.

on the flip side, starting a business can be easier and with smaller capital in some places, and more difficult in others. just remember security might be of different quality.

life is short, make the change as soon as you can if you are going to do it.

justhe_justin

Don Juan
Reaction score
been doing this for some time. one of the slick ways to do it is to get the assignment from a company where you are from. not if, but when you do it make sure to take care of your entitlements and understand any tax treaty in the place you end up assuming you want to keep citizenship of the place you are from. make sure you have a viable way to go back in case it doesn't work like you plan. I have seen many a man living in some very unforgiving places that just went on faith and when they are out of money an embassy tells them that it is their own problem. homeless and poor in other places can be much worse than in America.

on the flip side, starting a business can be easier and with smaller capital in some places, and more difficult in others. just remember security might be of different quality.

life is short, make the change as soon as you can if you are going to do it.
Yes, I have considered Poland for the low cost of living.

Currently I am spending time with my family and saving money and investing in order to have the funds to safely relocated and start a business. In the meantime I've been exercising, and dabbling in creating online video content.

justhe_justin

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes, I have considered Poland for the low cost of living.

Currently I am spending time with my family and saving money and investing in order to have the funds to safely relocated and start a business. In the meantime I've been exercising, and dabbling in creating online video content.
@DEEZEDBRAH

justhe_justin

Don Juan
Reaction score
I meant from your escape from corporate. What are you doing now?
Putting a lot of energy into PUA prep by lifting weights and studying game. I discovery the effectiveness of Game a few months ago and have been hyper-focused on learning it to improve my success with women. I'd say my lack of game was the cause of +95% of my unhappiness. The progress has been super slow because many days I was too depressed, exhausted, and sick to do anything but lately my energy has been improving.

Although the women in Eastern Europe are A+ for my taste, and the cost of living is lower, my main concern is how I'll be received as a Black man. Not sure if I'll be accepted into the culture, especially since I don't plan to learn Polish or any other language.

Since leaving my corporate job I have read:
The Rational Male 1-3 by Tomassi (recently got 4)
Day Bang, by Roosh V
The Mystery Method, by Mystery
Sapiens, by Yuval Noah Harari
48 Laws of Power, by Robert Greene
Art of Seduction, by Robert Greene
Art of War, by Sun Tzu

Currently reading:
Behave, by Robert M. Sapolsky

Attachments

metalwater

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you probably already; but there are forums for ex-pats for most countries including Poland. join one of those and get advice from others doing what you are thinking about. just find in google, try a couple of different ones to see what group(s) are helpful to you.

as a side note, I would never endorse NOT learning the language of a place living in for so many reasons.

justhe_justin

Don Juan
Reaction score
you probably already; but there are forums for ex-pats for most countries including Poland. join one of those and get advice from others doing what you are thinking about. just find in google, try a couple of different ones to see what group(s) are helpful to you.

as a side note, I would never endorse NOT learning the language of a place living in for so many reasons.
Any particular ex-pat forum you recommend? Currently I'm not in any. :oops:

EyeOnThePrize

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
View attachment 5130

A friend asked me to reflect on leaving corporate america a year ago: “How do you feel now that you've had some time?” My response:

I feel like corporate work is retarded. Especially after reading the book “Sapiens”, it seems history repeats itself in a cycle of humanity overall improving at the expense and suffering of the individual.

I was having health issues and could go to the gym because my job had me working late into the night. Dealt with dumb people and 'worked hard' for a limited salary which did not reward quality work.

Had to live like people who did not have the same values as me. Everyone was happy working up the 'corporate ladder' and it made me sick.

Attending fancy events, going to expensive dinners, clubbing with stuck up bitches, then getting my soup sucked out for 13-16 hours a day to get fat and depressed didn't appeal to me.

If I was getting laid as a result it would be another story but work was making me lose hair, get fat and depressed, and I had no time for dates so... it was making my life worse in every way.

The extra money I was making working that job instead of a regular 40 hour job was spent at strip clubs, on prostitutes, and overpriced drinks and club entry fees. It was a destructive lifestyle. The mental burnout was unbearable and all I ever wanted to do was sleep.

Sacrificed my personal life to put in extra effort at work just to get a bad review for 1 mistake on 1 project. Yeah **** that!

When I graduated in 2013 I thought if I focused on a career and earning money I would have a happy life and easily get women but realized in 2016 that was a lie
Felt like I was wasting my time and not getting out what I put in. So I walked away.

Plus the culture was stupid and outdated. The showing up early, working late, wearing a tie “The client is always right” (years of experience> actual competence) was frustrating to operate in.

In hindsight I feel the exact same way now, as when I was working.
It's interesting how people can feel shackled to their work, to lament that they have no passion for it, as if they are being held against their will. And yet we have the capacity to find richness in everything we do, you can find a lesson in every action. You can meditate and stare at a wall all day, and be the happiest man on the planet. You could be in prison, yet feel more free than any guard.

A human being is the most adaptable creature on the planet. You can adapt to any environment you put yourself in and not only survive, but thrive. You can look up the story of the three stonecutters but the basic idea is that all three stone cutters are doing the exact same thing, but with wildly different perspectives.

The corporate world is not a hellscape. In fact I would say it's where you can recruit real world skills extremely fast. You're given a schedule to follow or a set of tasks that you're held responsible for. You can of course leave, but if you wish to stay you must be disciplined and creative. Of course you could always be let go, but there are no guarantees in life.

If you adapt well and absorb knowledge like a sponge, you'll be rewarded, either from your current company or from the next. If you feel your skills are worth more you're always free to look for other work or go solo.

It's important to ask yourself what you want to be doing with your time, what you want to be studying, then find ways to move in that direction. There's immense freedom in the world and I find that most people are constantly underestimating their own power to change, grow, and adapt.

You really do create your own universe, and it can be just as rich no matter where you are or what you're doing. You could have any job and love it, it really is in your power to make it so. Your only limitation is your own imagination. It sounds cheesy but it's absolutely true.

logicallefty

Reaction score
I have three irons in the fire: police officer, IT work, and day trading the stock market. IT is a complete joke. 60% of the people do 90% of the work. And the other 40% do the other 10%. The more you suck, the higher up the ladder you go. It's not even a fair fight anymore. Once they know you have skills and work ethic they push and push and push and don't stop. My goal is to be only doing the police job and stocks two years from now. IT and corporate America can go F itself.

justhe_justin

Don Juan
Reaction score
It's interesting how people can feel shackled to their work, to lament that they have no passion for it, as if they are being held against their will. And yet we have the capacity to find richness in everything we do, you can find a lesson in every action.
Thank you for the thoughtful post. It can be a challenge for men to know when to cut their losses, vs when to push through and overcome adversity. For years I was unhappy but I was determined in my head to work through and overcome and the unfavorable circumstances and not be a quitter. It took for me to literally be on the brink of life or death in order to walk about from my job. Used to be willing to make any sacrifice to achieve my goals and after thousands of unrewarded hours I now value my time and happiness more than anything.

metalwater

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Any particular ex-pat forum you recommend? Currently I'm not in any. :oops:
nope; never been to Poland. Just google and join a couple. Like always; read first then post.

Roober

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Agreed. While I'm still there, the whole setup is a sham. High quality work is not rewarded. This is why I think paying by job is far more important than paying by hour. It is exactly how I plan to setup my business.

It used to drive me bonkers working places where people with low skill or low ambition were making far more than me. It's often how the corporate game is setup. What happens when a high producer does well? They end up picking up the slack of the low producers. I've seen it time and time again.

Your hourly rate will be determined by the skill, not a set amount of hours per day. Pay for a job. If they finish it fast, their hourly rate spikes. If they are slow or unskilled, their hourly rate drops.

For example,task A pays $1000. I finish in an hour, that's $1,000/hour. Someone else takes 20 hours, that's $50/hr. My efficiency is a byproduct of my experience and skill. As the other person gets better,their skill improves, and subsequently their hourly rate.