"Blank Mind on Dates? She's Dropping Hints You Keep Missing"

The plates get cleared and the silence lands like a brick. You can feel her waiting. Your brain offers up your commute, your job, the weather — topics that have ended more second dates than bad breath.

Here's what most guys never learn: women hand out free conversational material all night long. Tiny clues about what they actually want to discuss. Catch them and you never run out of things to say — because she's telling you what to say next.

Rule 4 of the "22 Rules" trains your ear to catch every single one.

Read more...

Conversation & Social Anxiety: Advice?

Tiandan

Don Juan
Joined
Nov 30, 2003
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Hi. I used to suffer greatly from social anxiety but over the years I have conquered alot of it....even though I have some more "battles" to fight I was wondering if anyone could give me some solid advice concerning dating......


..... When I'm dating girls I usually get to a 2nd date but barely beyond that. After I find out about the girl: age, where she lives ?, her interests etc.......I find I'm at a loss for words and I don't keep their interest....

...For those of you with long-term girlfriends how did you get over this "hill"? For example when your with a girl after dating her a couple of times how did you carry yourself? instead of the usual "So how are you doing? " and she says "good". And then what?....

....This might seem like a weird request for advice but if you haven't had socail anxiety then you don't know. I would appreciate your help. Thanks.
 

"Stop Asking Your Friends What to Text Her"

Your buddy Dave has been single for three years and thinks "hey u up" is a valid strategy. Your other buddy Mike just got dumped and told you to "just be yourself."

You showed them her text. You asked them to decode the emoji. You drafted four responses and sent the screenshot to the group chat for a vote.

She's been waiting forty minutes.

Put the phone down. Stop crowdsourcing your love life. Type something that sounds like you. Hit send. Then go do literally anything else with your evening.

Read more...

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Joined
Jul 10, 2003
Messages
15,481
Reaction score
65
Location
Galt's Gulch
Look for things that the two of you have in common, lifestyles, interests, ideals. Talk about that instead of putting so much effort into things like age and location.

Watch television interviews too. Watch how there is give and take during good interviews. Good interviewers don't follow their questionnaires point by point. If you have cable, watch the host of "Inside the Actor's Guild." He does a decent job by going from a list of questions but drawing out more from the interviewee answers.
 

InLawsHateMe

Master Don Juan
Joined
Sep 2, 2002
Messages
1,165
Reaction score
0
Location
Columbus, Ohio USA
Try this.....

......get drunk with a bunch of people, and go streaking.... that will rid your social anxiety for good. It's all in the head bro...
 

chancer357

Don Juan
Joined
Jan 3, 2004
Messages
139
Reaction score
0
How did you manage to get dates? I think I suffer from social aniety big time; I can't even meet girls - at all. What did you do?
 

"I just moved here from Florida."

That sentence contains at least five follow-up questions she WANTS you to ask. Where in Florida? What brought you here? How long have you been in the area? What do you miss? How does it compare to here?

She handed them to you on a silver platter. And you said, "Oh cool. I come here every week. I love this band. Ummm... pretty crowded tonight."

She smiled politely. Nodded. And never texted you back.

I was that guy for years. Talking too much. Listening too little. Panicking about my next sentence while she was literally feeding me the answers.

Then I found 22 rules that fixed the whole thing. Rule number one: shut up and listen. She'll tell you exactly what to say.

Read more...

Tiandan

Don Juan
Joined
Nov 30, 2003
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Thanks Gentleman193.....Chancer you have to break up your "social anxiety" in stages and goals. I don't know the extent of your situation. If you can give me some background maybe I can give some insight.
 

Boricua_33015

Master Don Juan
Joined
Jan 22, 2003
Messages
734
Reaction score
0
Age
40
Location
Miami
hey I suffer(ed) from social anxiety, and in some recent cases I still have.

It was hard for me... I went through a whole year in one of my high school classes without saying more than 20 sentences during the whole damn year.

SERIOUSLY.

But it is all in the head bro.

In most cases social anxiety is caused by not knowing how to initiate and carry on a conversation and how to be the leader of one. But you have to learn how to.... either with experience.... or books.

I have spent over 150 dollars on communication ebooks, paperback books on conversation, and making freinds. Only a few of them made an impact over me, and really taught me how to make freinds.

I don't know if I would have ever figured it out if I had not read those books but I sure know it would have taken a long time because of my lack of not wanting to find out by blindly doing self made techniques or finding my own way to initiate conversations and make freinds.

I recommend getting a book called The Sedona Method. Work on your subconscious. I recommend working on your psyche.... don't spend money on a psychologist. That could be too costly.

I got where I am at by reading tons of books and advice.

The problem is, that you have ingrained in your head that you are a shy person. Labeling it as a disorder made it even worse, and you thought to yourself "im going to have this forever bla bla bla". Its just negative self talk and false beleifs. Yea the beleifs may be true.... but the only reason why they are true is because now you EXPECT to be shy and get anxiety when you talk to people. You WANT to beleive that you have it, and you have to let go of these beleifs.

Here is something that is working for me. It is from the Sedona Method.

Just find a comfortable place to sit and follow these steps.

1. Let yourself remember the feelings you get when you get this "social anxiety". Make the feelings as clear as possible. Don't deny the feeling, don't try and shorten the feeling, because you have to FEEL the feeling you get in full force. Feel the sensations you get. Don't get mad, don't judge the feeling, don't even THINK, just get the feeling you get when you get social anxiety, and feel it in full force.

2. Ask yourself "Do I want to fix this problem?" Don't answer the question, just feel the sensations you get. Don't think, just feel.

3. Ask yourself "Could I welcome this feeling?" Ask this questions several times to yourself, until you feel that it is OK to have this feeling. This questions helps you let go of the judgment you do when you get this feeling. A feel is only a feeling, you may not like it but to resist it just feeds the feeling even more, and it will cause negativity.

4. Then ask yourself "Could I let of my desire to fix this problem?" As this question to yourself several times before you feel you have released your desire to fix your problem. Again, don't think, just feel the feelings you get. Feel the feelings of the desire to fix your problem wash away. Make a visualization that you think would work.
Example: Feel the spots where you think tension in your body is occuring. The spots could be big, could be small, doesn't matter as long as you make the spot the whole vicinity of the place you are feeling tension. Imagine that these spots are black or any other dark color and imagine the spots of tension feeling cold. Then as you keep asking yourself the question in this step, imagine those spots turning turn into a bright warm yellow like the sun (or any other bright color you'd like) and imagine feeling these spots getting warm and untense; imagine them getting comfortable.

5. Finally ask yourself "Could I let go of the expectation that I am going to have this problem again?" or "Could I let go of wanting to beleive that I have this problem?" Keep asking yourself this several times and just feel the sensations your get. Feel yourself letting go of the social anxiety.

6. I just decided to add this extra step for more releasing of limiting feelings. Ask yourself "Could I let go of wanting my own approval?" This is so you can let go of your desire to gain approval from other people, that way your happiness won't depend on approval from others. Like all the other questions just feel the feelings and sensations you are getting while you are asking these questions and imagine your tenseness, and those negative feelings wash away and you getting comfortable.

Don't be surprised if at the end you feel more at peace with yourself. That is the result you are going to get each time you do this process.

You can do this process as many times as you want. I recommend doing this process at least once a day for 2 weeks. After doing this process you will notice your habit of getting social anxiety will simply diminish in time (or perhaps instantly right after you do this process the first time, like I did).
 

InLawsHateMe

Master Don Juan
Joined
Sep 2, 2002
Messages
1,165
Reaction score
0
Location
Columbus, Ohio USA
LOL! Ok.....

...I take it that no one is taking my 'Streaking' idea seriously. :)


I used to have this problem, and I thought it was pretty bad, until I rid myself of it, and looking in from the outside, I witnessed how bad it could get with others.

The principle is almost the same as dealing with the fear of heights. I used to be deathly affraid of heights. I mean, like couldn't be inside skyscrapers, because I truly felt that the building was swaying, and that it could topple over. Well this fear had to stop, since I worked in tall buildings. So what did I do? I let some friends talk me into going skydiving... they knew my fear of heights. Rollercoasters, and the likes at themes parks were eluding me, while my friends were havign a good time. They suggested I go skydiving with a instructor, so I did, and to make a long story short, I can probably fall alseep on rollercoasters now.

Yes it's extreme, and not for everyone but man.... there's nothing like streaking down the street with your girlfriend, buck naked in the winter with snow all around, while recording the whole thing on a camcorder. :)

Hey, if someone tries to talk you into doing a snow angels in the nude, so they can get it on tape, DON'T DO IT!
 

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Joined
Apr 15, 2003
Messages
6,620
Reaction score
186
Age
47
Location
A universe...where heartbreak and sadness have bee
Look around, observe stuff around you.

And talk to people (EVERYONE, not just chicks) more often. It gets easier.
 

Julian

Banned
Joined
Jul 30, 2003
Messages
4,754
Reaction score
1,216
Ive had my bouts with anxiety but it was never of the social kind.

but if you feel an anxiety attack coming on, dont fight it. Just let it run its course, remember NEVER hyperventilate, instead take 10 deep and slow breaths and by the 10th one it should be gone.

Now if i ever get an attack its not really a big deal.
 

"You'll Never Feel READY to Walk Over"

Next Monday you'll feel more confident. After the gym you'll feel more confident. After one more drink you'll feel more confident. After you get a better haircut, a better jacket, a better job.

You've been "getting ready" for two years.

She's standing ten feet away right now. She'll be gone in four minutes. No amount of preparation will manufacture the courage that only comes from moving your feet.

Walk over. Stumble through the first sentence. Let it be clumsy. Let it be imperfect. You will feel more alive in those ten seconds than you have all month.

Read more...

Tiandan

Don Juan
Joined
Nov 30, 2003
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
I appreciate the feedback.....Boriqua_33015? Any E-Books you highly recommend ? Thanks.
 

Boricua_33015

Master Don Juan
Joined
Jan 22, 2003
Messages
734
Reaction score
0
Age
40
Location
Miami
eBooks I recommend:

www.highstatusmale.com - Without Embarrassment (sp? this book is for speaking with the women and has great advice for relationships)

www.workwealth.com/charm.htm - How to Communicate with Unstoppable Confidence in 20 Days or Less (this one takes on a new approach of working on your psyche to make you confident and improve your social effectiveness)

www.sellfire.com - How to Make Great!!! Conversation (this one is great for conversation period)

I have Double Your Dating, but I don't like it much.... not that great for seduction.

I also have this book called the 100% Brain Course Book from www.braincourse.com It is DEFINATELY worth the money. It focuses on EVERYTHING of the human psyche. Just download the free table of contents on the main website and see what this amazing book has to offer.

Paperback books I recommend:

How to Start a Conversation and Make Freinds by Don (Juan :) ) Gabor (This one is awesome, it is very well organized and so easy to read. it focuses on the initial conversation all the way up to freindship, I am currently reading this one)

How to Win Freinds & Influence People by Dale Carnegie (this one's a Classic! You can find this one for free on *****)

Talking the Winner's Way: 92 Little Tricks for Big Success in Business and Personal Relationships by Leil Lowndes

Conversationally Speaking: Tested New Ways to Increase Your Personal and Social Effectiveness by Alan Garner

(The last 2 I have not read but I will be getting them soon. I am confident that these last 2 will complete the collection of books I already bought)

Damn thats a long list..... but I love to read! :)

I am willing to trade ebooks with anyone.... keep in my I said TRADE, not just give away. That means anyone who has an ebook that theyd recommend that I DON'T HAVE, Ill trade one of mines for theirs. Sorry I only give away ebooks for free to close freinds.

Peace
 

chancer357

Don Juan
Joined
Jan 3, 2004
Messages
139
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by Tiandan
Chancer you have to break up your "social anxiety" in stages and goals. I don't know the extent of your situation. If you can give me some background maybe I can give some insight.
The quickest way to sum it up is that I never had more than like 2 real friends; constantly ridiculed in grade school. High school and collage I spent alone.

Now I have a good job & money, much more than most my age, - but I also have an eating disorder and no confidence or self-worth left. I can't smile at people easily. If I were to go out to eat and order something and want something like ketchup I wouldn't want to even ask for it. Or when stuff in my apartment breaks, I'm more likely to fix it myself than to have to call and ask for the repair guy.

Trying to talk to a girl is near impossible for me. I'm probably average to below average looking, and I just couldn't imagine a girl ever being interested at all. If I saw a girl I was attracted to I'm always to afraid or ashamed to try to talk to her. I feel like I don't even have the the right to do something like that.

I've read all those book on conversation that were mentioned before. Anything I do to try to get better ends up freaking me out more and leaving me worse off.
 

Tiandan

Don Juan
Joined
Nov 30, 2003
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Boriqua_33015.......thanks alot for the tips. Quick question, can the E-Books be printed out?......... I don't like to sit in front of the computer too long.....

....Chancer, I'm no psychologist but from what your telling me you do have social anxiety and it seems your at a stage that's serious. However no matter what your age you can conquer it once and for all but it will take time. You need (3) key ingrediants : Determination, Patience, and a "No Quit" Attitude.....

....1) Your going to need to have someone to open up to: either a very close friend or your parents. I would suggest your parents. If they don't know, sit down with them and explain your problem.

2) You should seek professional help for the eating disorder.

3) I would go to this web-site www.socialanxietyinstitute.org , this is unfortunately the ONLY place that specializes in beating social anxiety. They have a great tape series but in your case I would suggest taking time off work and attend their therapy program.

.....Don't worry about average-looks......I'm sure the other DJ's will agree that there are alot of good-looking guys who have no girls because they have NO PERSONALITY.

Don't get to ahead of yourself. Start with the above info.
 

gav

Master Don Juan
Joined
Jan 5, 2004
Messages
1,128
Reaction score
3
Re: Try this.....

Originally posted by InLawsHateMe
......get drunk with a bunch of people, and go streaking.... that will rid your social anxiety for good. It's all in the head bro...
Dude, this is the best advice ever! Just did that last nite, and although i'm by no means shy, i did it, fck it for a laugh! :). This is brilliant!!

Get together with every some m8s; if u don't have that many, get folk whose number u have, and get pished together, then go up to some random burd in a club and ask for a kiss or whatever. this is aimed at chancer and the sorts.

Good effort Tiandan in conquering a lot of those first problems. I'm the same as u m8, u seem to be doing alright 4 ureself, except for those thrird of fourth dates. I can't imagine what havin a wife would be like could every day i'd just be sayin "what was ure day like?" "fine, what about yours?" the usual **** :(

i reckon that once u have a good relationship and good rapport with a woman, you can start to have arguments. I don't mean fights, i mean arguments, where each of you takes a different side. I know this may sound crazy but it adds to the relationship.
 

"I just moved here from Florida."

That sentence contains at least five follow-up questions she WANTS you to ask. Where in Florida? What brought you here? How long have you been in the area? What do you miss? How does it compare to here?

She handed them to you on a silver platter. And you said, "Oh cool. I come here every week. I love this band. Ummm... pretty crowded tonight."

She smiled politely. Nodded. And never texted you back.

I was that guy for years. Talking too much. Listening too little. Panicking about my next sentence while she was literally feeding me the answers.

Then I found 22 rules that fixed the whole thing. Rule number one: shut up and listen. She'll tell you exactly what to say.

Read more...

4afe

Don Juan
Joined
Jan 6, 2004
Messages
116
Reaction score
1
Age
41
Location
AZ
I can give you some thing to work with but not much seein how I just took one of the first steps in to the DJ world. I have started the DJ boot camp and it has worked wonders for me. before I found this site I was a lot like you and, one day I kind of said F*** every thing, I put my self in a situation (which I did not want to be in) and I just delt with it. It really isnt so bad. the best thing I could say is. Some people jump right in before testing the water other people sit and test the water for hours before finally getting in. but Do the DJ Boot camp, it sounds like you could learn a lot from the first week section. I hope this helped in any way.

Ryan
 

gav

Master Don Juan
Joined
Jan 5, 2004
Messages
1,128
Reaction score
3
what's the boot camp?
 
Top