"You'll Never Feel READY to Walk Over"

Next Monday you'll feel more confident. After the gym you'll feel more confident. After one more drink you'll feel more confident. After you get a better haircut, a better jacket, a better job.

You've been "getting ready" for two years.

She's standing ten feet away right now. She'll be gone in four minutes. No amount of preparation will manufacture the courage that only comes from moving your feet.

Walk over. Stumble through the first sentence. Let it be clumsy. Let it be imperfect. You will feel more alive in those ten seconds than you have all month.

Read more...

Coming Across Too Nice...and Gay

Ian19

Don Juan
Joined
Sep 17, 2002
Messages
185
Reaction score
0
Whenever I speak to a chick, regardless of whether I am just being polite or attempting a pickup, I always come across as way too much of a nice guy. It's not just in what I say (Hi. How are you? or whatever), it's also in the tone of my voice and the way I say it. I feel like I speak and act kind of gay, and friends of mine have told me that I do come across as kind of gay when I talk to chicks. How can I change the way I come across and not make my first impressions make me seem too nice or gay?
 

"Why Women Dump the Guys Who Try the Hardest"

You paid for dinner. You drove. You said "whatever you want is fine" every single time. All the effort, no expectations.

And she left anyway — probably for a guy who makes her pick up the pizza.

Painful. Also predictable. Her mind quietly concludes that anything requiring zero effort from her is worth exactly zero. You became a free sample, and free samples get taken for granted.

The 22 Rules flip the dynamic. Small shifts that get her investing effort, money, and time in you — until SHE'S the one afraid of losing YOU.

Read more...

ArmondTamzarian

Don Juan
Joined
Apr 15, 2004
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Age
50
Location
Key West
Well, I guess I am on the other side of table. I've had women tell me there is no one alive who could mistake me as gay. My question is what are you doing that is so gay? Are you ecxitable, is your voice not very deep? After five minutes talking to a woman, what is the subject of the conversion? Have you seen the Comedy Central Show"Staight Plan for the Gay Man?" it might show you what is going on.
 

ScrewIt

Master Don Juan
Joined
Feb 11, 2004
Messages
1,769
Reaction score
2
Talk Slow, in general most gay ppl like to talk fast.

slowly with a deep tone of voice.
look at senor fingers post about improving your voice
 

Ian19

Don Juan
Joined
Sep 17, 2002
Messages
185
Reaction score
0
I think I'm just speaking in a overly-nice tone and it comes across as a bit feminine. I don't really have a naturally high voice, usually moderately deep, it's just that for some reason it doesn't come across that way if I'm talking to a chick. I can talk to males, whether friends or males I've just met, and my voice sounds perfectly fine and I sound masculine enough. It's hard to figure out why I do this with females though.

Thanks for the feedback.
 

biker_gixxer

Master Don Juan
Joined
May 3, 2004
Messages
688
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by Ian19
Whenever I speak to a chick, regardless of whether I am just being polite or attempting a pickup, I always come across as way too much of a nice guy. It's not just in what I say (Hi. How are you? or whatever), it's also in the tone of my voice and the way I say it. I feel like I speak and act kind of gay, and friends of mine have told me that I do come across as kind of gay when I talk to chicks. How can I change the way I come across and not make my first impressions make me seem too nice or gay?
Well, I think that your voice may change when talking to a female out of nervousness and you come off as being 'to nice' because your looking for her approval (although you may not notice this on the surface). Everyone has different reactions when they're nervous. Some sweat, some shake, etc. What you have to do is 'relax' and go with the flow. Remember, don't go out there trying to get a girls approval, they have to look for YOURS.

Hope this helped.
 

"You'll Never Feel READY to Walk Over"

Next Monday you'll feel more confident. After the gym you'll feel more confident. After one more drink you'll feel more confident. After you get a better haircut, a better jacket, a better job.

You've been "getting ready" for two years.

She's standing ten feet away right now. She'll be gone in four minutes. No amount of preparation will manufacture the courage that only comes from moving your feet.

Walk over. Stumble through the first sentence. Let it be clumsy. Let it be imperfect. You will feel more alive in those ten seconds than you have all month.

Read more...

Dirtheart

Master Don Juan
Joined
Mar 18, 2004
Messages
952
Reaction score
1
Age
49
Location
UK
I've been mistaken for being gay too, many times. A lot has to do with the way I dress and groom myself, but I also portray the impression of being nice. Yet, I get a lot of female attention and a lot of friends, so I would never call it a problem.

The voice thing can definitely be altered. As ScrewIt said, learn to talk slowly and also learn to breathe deeply (from the diaphram) and take regular breaths. When you are nervous, your chest becomes restricted and if that's where you breathe from, your voice tone will be much higher.

It may also be your body language. Gay men tend to move and gesture a lot, and generally appear buoyant and hyperactive. If you notice yourself doing this, try to move in a slower and more controlled manner.
 

ScrewIt

Master Don Juan
Joined
Feb 11, 2004
Messages
1,769
Reaction score
2
also on another note, your tone and clarity of voice will change when you lose your confidence.

once in awhile when i talk to ppl i find my voice pattern isnt as clear, deep, and slow as it may be. it may not be as deep and not as clear when i speak.
 

Ian19

Don Juan
Joined
Sep 17, 2002
Messages
185
Reaction score
0
Thanks for all the feedback. I think it probably is a confidence thing. I'm not nervous around males but when I'm around a female I do get self-conscious and a bit jittery.
 

ArcturusXIV

Don Juan
Joined
Feb 22, 2003
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Age
42
Location
Utah (the minor theocratic nation located on the w
Can someone addy me to the thread about improving my voice? I definitely need that. Not only for women, but because I'm a telemarketer. ;)
 

ScrewIt

Master Don Juan
Joined
Feb 11, 2004
Messages
1,769
Reaction score
2
well where i work, i sit around telemarketers all day long.
their voice is consistent and confident, they have to sound liek they know what they're talking about. and precise with clarity, no mumbling. dont wanna repeat again if they dont hear it, as you're already wasting their time.

Speak in a friendly tone, no hostile tone. Be as optimistic as you can, no one wants to hear a sad/emotionless speaker. they wanna hear a guy who knows his **** and wont stutter when the client asks them back a question. stuttering means you're unsure about the answer and unconfident.

if i had the chance @ work, i woudlnt mind trying out telemarketing. it would help improve my ppl skills and voice in general.
 

"She's Out of Your League"

You've said it a hundred times. Maybe a thousand. And every time you say it, you train your brain to freeze the next time she walks into the room.

Leagues are a myth invented by guys who are scared of women.

She's a person. She has bad breath in the morning. She picks songs she can't sing in the shower. She overthinks her own texts.

Walk over. Say something. The league dissolves the second you open your mouth.

Read more...

nan3109

Master Don Juan
Joined
May 7, 2003
Messages
511
Reaction score
0
Age
41
Originally posted by Ian19
Thanks for all the feedback. I think it probably is a confidence thing. I'm not nervous around males but when I'm around a female I do get self-conscious and a bit jittery.
hmm.. i get told i sound gay alot... i talk pretty fast and upbeat, but i think maybe i should do the slower talking thing from now on.... the gay voice helped with telemarketing though!!

lol, anyways bye
 

nan3109

Master Don Juan
Joined
May 7, 2003
Messages
511
Reaction score
0
Age
41
Originally posted by Ian19
Thanks for all the feedback. I think it probably is a confidence thing. I'm not nervous around males but when I'm around a female I do get self-conscious and a bit jittery.
hmm.. i get told i sound gay alot... i talk pretty fast and upbeat, but i think maybe i should do the slower talking thing from now on.... the gay voice helped with telemarketing though!!

and im WAY to comfortable talking to girls, i can sit in a group of 10 girls and talk to all of them and they all talk to me....
 
Top