Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Chess Players?

Xenom0rph

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I learned it from playing a cheap CD game from walmart.....

I only learned it so that I would have some working knowledge of the game in case it ever came up in conversation and I need to be able to show that I'm not a light weight...

You'd be surprised how many corporate as5holes will try to use chess analogies to size up what kind of man you are....

If they throw out some chess analogy or reference, and you can't show you understand, they'll mark you as a lightweight that can't hang with the senior execs....

I like to flip the convo on these fools and throw up poker references, and not just the usual texas hold 'em poker, I'll throw out references to lesser-known poker variants like Omaha Hi-Lo or Stud.....

That's how you work these pompous as5holes: show them you can hang with a chess reference, and then clown them when they can't hang with a poker reference...

U

user43770

I don't play cards - other than a little rummy and spades in high school - and it's actually made me miss out on a lot of good times. I don't care. I don't like cards.

As far as chess references, I wouldn't know. I never bring it up, because most people don't play. Hell, I only learned how to play just to prove I could.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've played on and off since I was a kid, just casually. Sometimes I take long breaks because I get tired of the thinking, but I always end up drifting back to it at some point. I've always thought I should be better at it than I am, considering how long I've played.

Lynx nkaf

Banned
Reaction score
I've played on and off since I was a kid, just casually. Sometimes I take long breaks because I get tired of the thinking, but I always end up drifting back to it at some point. I've always thought I should be better at it than I am, considering how long I've played.
+1 exactly the same

U

user43770

I play exclusively online from my phone, which is awesome, and it's the only reason I learned how to play.

But I still need a break from it sometimes. I've been playing a lot lately, but I took 3 months away from it earlier this year. Everything gets boring after a while.

What's the old saying? Show me the best looking woman on earth, and I'll show you a man that's sick of her bullsh1t.

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I can beat most casual players and I get torn to shreds by experienced ones. I've learned to set up a good position in the opening (good control of center board) but after that I don't take advantage of it. I especially don't leverage my pawns well to get them promoted.

U

user43770

I can beat most casual players and I get torn to shreds by experienced ones. I've learned to set up a good position in the opening (good control of center board) but after that I don't take advantage of it. I especially don't leverage my pawns well to get them promoted.
Opponents regularly get me mid-game with their pawns. You think I would learn...

U

user43770

I get caught up looking for the checkmate.

Long game thinking is great, but you can't ignore what's right in front of your face.

Just like life

Black Widow Void

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I started off with the game "Stratego" at age eight and by ten I was playing chess.

I don't claim to be a pro (I'm not) but I still enjoy the game.

U

user43770

Glad to see so many of y'all are dorks. I wouldn't be against starting up a sosuave chess tournament

U

user43770

Just kidding. I already knew sosuave was full of smart dudes.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The trick is to get a book on openings.
I have a few. Ultimately, if you're going to be well versed on openings, it's too much memorization for my taste. I also don't like having to think too many moves ahead - "If I do this, then he does that, then I do that, and he does that, then this happens". I prefer to play by principles, feel, and instinct. Otherwise the game stops being fun, for me. A lot of guys have gone crazy from playing chess at too high a level, or it interferes with other aspects of their lives, because it can be all consuming if you want to play that well.

I've even heard that to be a top chess player, your brain has to be wired a certain way. Supposedly they can predict how good a chess player you can be by how your neurons connect to each other, or something like that.

I get caught up looking for the checkmate.
My weakness is the opposite, I get caught up trying to gain material. Your way is closer to the way the best players play, from what I know of it.

U

user43770

My weakness is the opposite, I get caught up trying to gain material. Your way is closer to the way the best players play, from what I know of it.
It depends on the opponent.

I'm very good at plotting out my future moves; not so good at plotting out yours lol

My buddy is really good and he plans on both

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm very good at plotting out my future moves; not so good at plotting out yours lol
Seems like the games where I'm better at plotting my own moves, the more likely I am to overlook the opponent's possibilities.

Not my thing now go and and poker yes
I've played a little Go, very little really. That game is probably more complex than chess, it's more abstract. It took me a good while just to learn the rules and how to score, the concept of dead stones and all that. Ultimately I think the advantage chess has over Go is the pieces, I like the medieval theme.

I find board games in general interesting. Royal Game of Ur is an ancient game thousands of years old. It's nowhere near as complex as chess or Go, there's a lot of luck involved, but there is also some strategy. It's nice for a quick, very casual game. You can play it and other games for free online here:

http://www.playonlinedicegames.com/royal-game-of-ur

andreihaha

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't really have people to play with.
My father taught me how to play when I was a kid and I ended up kinda better than him.
He also taught me basketball which I often play for fun. My father was great with me when I was little and still is now.
Everyone should learn chess, at least the basics.

U

user43770

I don't really have people to play with.
My father taught me how to play when I was a kid and I ended up kinda better than him.
He also taught me basketball which I often play for fun. My father was great with me when I was little and still is now.
Everyone should learn chess, at least the basics.
I have the chess.com app on my phone. It's pretty great, as I play people from all over the world.