Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Cardio And Muscle Loss? Real Chit Or Myth?

soulforge

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Trying to lose a little fat around the belly area, it's not much but still, I like to keep a lean physiche.

I keep hearing about how cardio kills your gains?

Have any of you experienced muscle loss through cardio? Running especially!

Redwolf

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I am big on fitness so this is just my own op. Cardio is good for you and should be part of any solid routine. I lift 5 days a week and run 3-4 miles two days a week. I am lean/muscular and my abs stay pretty visible all the time. I believe it's more about balance. Too much cardio and you'll start looking like a marathon runner, really lean. I've never gone for the huge look, my goal is the muscular/athletic look. I feel better when I am lean and my abs show some.

Really diet is key and in most cases you can get your diet in order and lose the belly without a lot of cardio. I have found it's easier to lower the carb intake for a few days rather than run 8 miles.

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
I can go without gym for 3 weeks to a month and not notice any difference if I keep to my daily diet.

Carb intake has to be low, I take lots of pork with fats and lots of vegetables.

But once a week I splurge on ice-cream and what's not.

Oh, since I drink regularly, taking beer is not a good idea, I've noticed I put on some fats around the stomach while in my mid 30's and have switched to liquor since then. So if u r a regular in some establishment on a weekly basis then it might do you some good to switch.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Trying to lose a little fat around the belly area, it's not much but still, I like to keep a lean physiche.

I keep hearing about how cardio kills your gains?

Have any of you experienced muscle loss through cardio? Running especially!
Nope, there is no muscle loss in my experience. I switch from heavy lifting to cardio-centric track workouts from April-November. When I resume heavy lifting after Thanksgiving, total strength loss is about 15%. I'd estimate 5% of that is attributed to the physics of having lower body weight (due to the cardio), and the rest seems to be CNS re-programming. In just 3 lifting workouts, all my strength lost during the summer is fully recovered.

sangheilios

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There is definitely some truth to endurance training having an impact on muscle, so I'll break it down for you.

If you are lifting on a regular basis long distance running will for sure have an impact on your gains. To explain why, the reason is because of the huge degree of damage that your muscles would undergo, so you'd be in a state of never recovering fully, being weaker in the gym, etc. which of course leads to muscle loss.

With that said, running a mile or two a couple times per week really shouldn't be that big of a deal. The biggest issue would be scheduling your lifting and running workouts so that they don't negatively impact one another.

For me personally, I do a full body lifting routine twice per week with some really intense lower body work that would render running the next day a very poor choice. I do tons of sled pushes and hip work so those muscles are pretty much dead for a couple days afterwards. What does work for me would be hiking on a hilly terrain, you are able to get your heart rate up while keeping the impact on your body low. Swimming and cycling may also be a good choice. I think my best advice for whatever you choose to do would be to keep it at a relatively low to moderate intensity.

Also, cardio is good for you but anaerobic training (lifting, etc.) and diet are really the biggest factors in regards to keeping lean.

Poonani Maker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just do HIIT 4-5 days a week (though they say to only do 2-3). On weekends it's an hour and a half of non-stop HIIT with minimal rest. MY HIIT workout entails much more than what you'd see down at the gym. After a couple months, I've Barely got any love handle left. I incorporate other exercises into a slot or two interval toward to middle-end of the workout. Everything else is essential and remains the same. So I'll switch out a particular exercise for a new one I've found but go back to the other next time then, it's just basically a variable interval slot where I can try new things. Everywhere else pretty much stays the same and EVERYTHING is ambidextrous. Jump rope at the beginning, at the end of the 33 minute HIIT, then at the end of another 33 minute HIIT and if I go my max which is 3 consecutive 33 minutes HIITs then another jump rope at the end usually through a 7 to 10 minute song. The 1st jump rope at the beginning of the workout is the toughest, by the end of the workout I'm jumproping like a pro because my timing is very fluid and at ease despite being a little tired.

I'm sure to drink electrolytes throughout along with just regular fridge-filtered water in another bottle. I'd say the burpees are my toughest part of the workout along with walking on my hands (because if I've eaten anything it wants to come up and I may have to cut it short there and stop so I don't throw up - never have but I try to exercise on an empty stomach). When spring/summer hits, I'll be back to the track to probably run sprints as long-distance of course WILL reduce your muscle and make you skeletor-looking don't want that. I think cardio helps coordination/balance. I want to be adept like I was when I was young. I was tired of being blubbery these last few years and not quick. Now, I'm cat-like and explosive and can jump to the ground quick.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There is definitely some truth to endurance training having an impact on muscle, so I'll break it down for you.

If you are lifting on a regular basis long distance running will for sure have an impact on your gains. To explain why, the reason is because of the huge degree of damage that your muscles would undergo, so you'd be in a state of never recovering fully, being weaker in the gym, etc. which of course leads to muscle loss.

With that said, running a mile or two a couple times per week really shouldn't be that big of a deal. The biggest issue would be scheduling your lifting and running workouts so that they don't negatively impact one another.
What you described is over training. It has nothing to do with running making one lose muscle (It doesn't - that's a 100% falsehood). One just simply can't go do 300lb barbell squats then go run 5-10 miles because of over-training. Its a load capacity issue.

ImTheDoubleGreatest!

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Only if you do marathon type training. But otherwise, not really. Just do sprints for cardio, bro. It’s still much more anabolic in that it raises your test levels and works your cardiovasular system. Only if you’re a meathead will it really have an impact. But otherwise, nah you’re good.

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
HIIT training sprints super sets explosive movements etc will get u shredded fk that long distance run 10 miles a day emaciated look

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
The "emaciated look" is broscience. Running distance does not make a person look emaciated.
Thats not bro science you clown. Its basic biology. There are different types of muscle fibres in our bodies. Their designated size is determined by the way they are used, depending on your genetics you may have a propensity for more of a certain type of muscle fibre..in either fast twitch or slow twitch category. Not bro science dumbazz.

Oh and if you want proof just google “long distance runner” and “olympic sprinter” and note the difference in bodies and musculature. But no this would of course invalidate dumbasses false opinion that specific type of training wont reflect in body composition.

Epic Days

Banned
Reaction score
Weights benefit endurance training. Endurance training doesn’t really benefit muscle development or increase of muscle. If that’s your goal.

Endurance training has very few benefits beyond endurance. If you are doing more than one difficult endurance training day then you would be overtraining. It is too hard on your endocrine system. When you run, no matter what you do, it’s an activation of fight or flight.

I do sprints or dead mill sprints in the winter. But it’s only about once a week. Sometimes once every two weeks.

You can store about approx. 400 grams of glucose. If you are an endurance junky and are a sugar burner (grains and sugar glucose), you will not start burning fat on the endurance trail. Your body doesn’t work that way. It will breakdown protein to glucose before you will burn fat stores.
If you are a modern fat burner, you will fare much better. Your body, once a sound aerobic condition exists, it will burn the superior fuel of fat.

Will endurance training for a sugar burner reduce muscle? Yes. Fat burners? Only if you over train.

Poonani Maker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Where is your evidence for such statement?
My co-worker buddy who runs half-marathons every year. He said, now, if you wanna get jacked? then do sprints.

Epic Days

Banned
Reaction score
My co-worker buddy who runs half-marathons every year. He said, now, if you wanna get jacked? then do sprints.
Absolutely. This puts a different kind of flight or flight metabolic response.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thats not bro science you clown. Its basic biology. There are different types of muscle fibres in our bodies. Their designated size is determined by the way they are used, depending on your genetics you may have a propensity for more of a certain type of muscle fibre..in either fast twitch or slow twitch category. Not bro science dumbazz.
Muscle fibre types have nothing to do with whether one looks emaciated or not.

Oh and if you want proof just google “long distance runner” and “olympic sprinter” and note the difference in bodies and musculature. But no this would of course invalidate dumbasses false opinion that specific type of training wont reflect in body composition.
Ignorant as fvck. Olympic sprinters do significant aerobic endurance work. They are also known steroid abusers. I wouldn't expect you to know that 100 meter, 200 meter, and 400 meter sprints are 80/20, 70/30, and 60/40 percent anerobic vs. aerobic energy contribution. Just another broscience lad running off at the mouth with no clue what he or she is talking about. It is impossible to run even a 100 meter sprint all-out, thus sprint athletes focus more on aerobic conditioning rather than increasing physical power. Have you ever even done a track workout? Are you familiar with the term speed endurance?

Last edited:

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
You gotta check with the age man.

Although many men might be physically fit on the outside but the internal organ - the heart is already an old model and should be treated as such.

Once a man hits 40, its best to reevaluate his training methodology so as to reduce the chances of overworking old mechanisms in the body.

Safety 1st.

17 shots

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just don't over do the cardio and you'll be fine. How much is too much cardio, just depends on how much you eat. There are some guys who do an hour cardio every session, but they eat A LOT, so they still keep good size. For most people, 30-45 mins a session is enough

Poonani Maker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You gotta check with the age man.

Although many men might be physically fit on the outside but the internal organ - the heart is already an old model and should be treated as such.

Once a man hits 40, its best to reevaluate his training methodology so as to reduce the chances of overworking old mechanisms in the body.

Safety 1st.
I don't drink ;)