Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Can't squat. Bone sticks from neck too much.

Chrom3y

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yea like I said, my vertebrae sticks out further than the average person's I guess. And this really kills me when I attempt to squat. Even with the padding on the bar, it still hurts. my coach told me to try wearing a hoody next time which I'll try tomorrow. But if I can't squat, how detrimental will that be to my weight gains??? I'm about 163-164, and all I want to do is hit 170 before winter rolls around. I run cross country, so does that affect my gains? I've been lifting since the beginning of september and I've only gained about 2-3 lbs, maybe less. Anyone else making any moderate gains without squatting?

Cure

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Im very much a beginner, but in the same kind of situation.

regaurding the weight gain, its not your weights, its what you eat. So long as you are doing some weights, all you have to do is eat MORE, obviously of healthy foods.

On the squats issue, I presume you are using a high bar grip, with the bar on your neck and tops of your shoulders?
I switched to a low grip, with the bar further down my back, resting on my rear delts, a few weeks ago and now im used to it it feels much better. Consider googling it, it might help as the bar would not stick into your spine as much.

hope Ive been helpfull.

Cure.

Chrom3y

Don Juan
Reaction score
Tenzen- I deadlift already. Its really what I look forward to all week lol.

Cure- Thanks, I'll look that up asap

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The bar shouldn't be resting on your neck...

Widen your grip and lower the bar down your back a few inches. Pinch your shoulder blades together, the bar should then be resting on the back of your shoulders/traps.

Resting the bar on your neck is just asking for nerve damage.

Tenzen

Don Juan
Reaction score
o heh, well deadlifts and squats are almost the same exercise so your not missing much if anything at all, just deadlift more. And if your really stubborn and just have to squat do it with dumbbells instead of the bar

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Leg Press and Hack Squats .... Quik where is the ban :)

mpimpin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The bar should not be on your neck, but if you are positioned correctly and squats are not an option I wouldn't worry to much about it. There are plenty of other options. In your situation I would make sure your doing leg presses too.

Voice

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The bar should be resting on your traps. When I was really skinny I had your problem too, but that's because I had no back muscles. Do military presses, 5 sets of 5, or go heavy 3 sets of 3. Soon, your traps will be big enough to rest the bar on with minimal discomfort. Also work on your shoulders.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's likely you just have no traps. This is a common complaint from guys lacking a yoke.

Start shrugging and deadlifting.

Chrom3y

Don Juan
Reaction score
Maybe its the trap thing. I mean when I flex, my traps look huge, but resting its like they arent there lol. I'll lay off the squats and just deadlift and leg press for now. And hack squats frickin hurt. I guess I'm still a little weakling, but thats why its time for change. But my other question was never answered. How much does cardio affect weight gain? Because I pretty much run 3+ miles a day for cross country.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Chrom3y said:
How much does cardio affect weight gain? Because I pretty much run 3+ miles a day for cross country.
Your training and diet need to be built around your sport season. You won't be gaining much weight running 3miles a day.

Chrom3y

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks EFFORT. Well the season is almost over. And I don't really take it seriously. I use it to stay in some type of **** because once winter comes around I wont be doing anything at all. Maybe my gains will come in then? Is it possible to gain 10 lbs before the spring time? And I don't eat a runner's diet. I eat for calories, protein, carbs, etc. for weight gains.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Chrom3y said:
Thanks EFFORT. Well the season is almost over. And I don't really take it seriously. I use it to stay in some type of **** because once winter comes around I wont be doing anything at all. Maybe my gains will come in then? Is it possible to gain 10 lbs before the spring time? And I don't eat a runner's diet. I eat for calories, protein, carbs, etc. for weight gains.
If your motivation for doing cross country is just to stay in shape and nothing else..... fun, competition, friends, etc....then you should probably rethink doing it. You don't need cross country to stay in shape.

Assuming your following a lifting program that has you getting strong on compound lifts and your eating enough food you'll be able to add some weight. But again it'll be tough to maintain it if you start running again. I recommend writing out your exact goals then it'll be easy to create a plan to reach them, though you may have to give up some stuff.