Can't Sleep

Caldus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Let's see, I woke up pretty early today, worked out earlier in the day, only had caffeine around dinner time, and still can't sleep. I'm pissed now b/c it pretty much cancels out my whole workout I did today if I can't sleep right? Will my muscles still grow even if I don't sleep (like will they still grow the next day I sleep again)? And I hate how sleep is always such a difficult task for me these days. I've read all of the tips out there and don't want to resort to sleeping pills...

Evangenlion

Don Juan
Reaction score
Take a rest, muscles need rest. If you can't sleep its becuase its in your head, relax, drink and watch TV or something then you'll feel the sleep come on.

Caldus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I try but I can't. It's too late now as I got class pretty soon. My question is will my muscles still grow if I sleep fine the next day despite not sleeping at all today?

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No, all your muscles will shrink and implode, creating a black vortex.

irishguy

Reaction score
Sleep Trick

Sleep Trick

I used to have trouble sleeping also but since I started doing this I've been sleeping great. I'd used to find myself up at 2 in the morning watching Renegade re-runs.

You need a radio or tv in your room (which I know CAN cause sleeping problems but not if you use them this way).

Put on a channel that is not TOO interesting (a news channel is great). Turn the volume so you can just BARELY hear it clearly.
Set the sleep timer (I usually set it to 30 mins). Lie facing away from the tv/radio and then just listen. I've never lasted the 30 mins.

I think when people start having problems sleeping , going to bed becomes a source of worry for them ( added on to all the things we have to worry about in life). They start worrying they will not get enough sleep and will not be able to perform in work or college the next day. Also when you have some quiet time to think other worries find a way into your head. Your job, finances and love life might be some common ones.

The more they worry the harder it is to get to sleep. Especially if they are looking at a clock and saying "If I fall asleep right now I will only get 4 hours sleep, 3 hours,2 hours.......".

I think this trick works because you are not listening to your inner monologue , reminding you of all your worries. You are distracted by the quiet voice of the radio/tv person. Your body is relaxed and because you are not worrying about anything you just drift off into sleep.

I'd be interested to know if this works as well for anybody else.

p.s. do all the other stuff as well, avoiding caffine late at night, avoiding working out too late , dark room etc etc

Legend

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
are you doing any situps before bed?

I was doing this for the longest time and i gave it up because my sleep was being affected. I went to a sports doctor because of a pulled muscle. He asked me about my sleeping patterns. I told him that i dont sleep well. He also asked if i was doing any ab workouts before i went to sleep. I said..yup.

If you are doing the abs workouts before bed you should stop. I stopped and now i sleep so much better. I do abs in the morning now.

tyte3

Don Juan
Reaction score
like the tv thing...if you try to stay awake youll fall asleep...if you try to fall asleep youll stay awake....it happens alot but not all the time..just try it...start reading abook...youll fall asleep...listen to music..do the tv thing...praying works for me...say a bunch of hail mary's and eventually youll start drifting off..try to stay awake..lol...and youll fall asleep

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
warm milk with nutmeg
warm tea with milk in it
marchino cherries
warm turkey sandwhich

all make you sleepy