Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Can't gain muscle without gaining fat? Truth?

FM 3321

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Last year I was able to achieve a good amount of fat loss over a period of 3 months by lifting weights 3 days a week (Mon-back/bi, Tue- chest/tri, Fri-legs) and incorporating at least 40 minutes of cardio 3-4 times a week along with a calorie monitored diet (1500-1900 calories a day).

This time around I'm following the same plan but I was wondering if lifting weights could be hindering my fat loss. I read somewhere in which someone said that you can't gain muscle without gaining fat. I wanted to pose this idea here to see what the truth behind all that is. Last year I seemed to have been able to lose fat as well as gain muscle with the plan I followed.

It only makes sense to me that lifting weights can only help reduce fat because you burn calories by doing so but I want to make sure there isn't something I'm missing about the idea of lifting weights while trying to lose weight. In the past I would think just doing straight cardio 5 days a week would be the key but I want to keep and even gain muscle as well.

Right now I'm 6 feet tall, 255lbs with 29.7% bodyfat last time I checked with the meter they let me use at my local Gold's Gym.

Rampage1

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
doing weights can only help the fat loss if along with a good diet and cardio. end of

Smack

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
It's complicated. In order to ensure you're getting maximal muscle growth you need a ton of nutrients, and to make sure you get all these you often have to eat a lot of food, which has the side effect of some fat gains.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You won't gain substantial amount of muscle without a little bit of fat as well, but there's no reason you can't add 'some' muscle without putting on fat(or losing fat for that matter).

FM 3321

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Cool....thanks for the replies. Keeping the diet in check must be one of the most important aspects. It's easy to pig out when lifting weights it seems. Hell, it's just easy for me to pig out at any time. :)

Interceptor

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You can eat to gain mass, or eat to lose mass, or eat to maintain mass.

You have to decide what you want more, to get 'ripped' or to gain more muscle mass.
Once you decide exactly what you want in your physique , you can then dial in your diet, and include more cardio or less depending on your goals.

Smack

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
And if you gain muscle mass but no fat, then you're going to drop some bodyfat percentage points due to having a higher lean body mass to fat ratio.

FM 3321

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the latest replies. I have been focusing on my diet while sticking to my workout schedule and things are getting better. :)