Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Can one survive in this day and age without a cell phone?

MascaraSnake

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I was watching Goodfellas the other day, and I was intrigued by the behavior of one of the mob bosses -- he refused to own a phone, and there were men in his circle that ran messages back and forth to him as their only job. If that slowed things down, so be it -- he only wanted to take messages on his own terms, and if that slowed things down, so be it.

This is an extreme example, but many people (mainly from a few generations ago) have succeeded without jumping onto the cell phone bandwagon, Warren Buffett being a notable example. I've started to grow disgusted with technology getting to the point where everyone's connected to it -- to me, the strongest people are the ones who aren't tethered to their gadgets, and I'm intrigued by the idea of becoming the only guy in my social circle who is damn near impossible to reach.

badboyjmm

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
MascaraSnake said:
Can one survive in this day and age without a cell phone?
Yeah, there's home phone, IM, Facebook, Email etc.

the strongest people are the ones who aren't tethered to their gadgets, and I'm intrigued by the idea of becoming the only guy in my social circle who is damn near impossible to reach.
Well that's not always true... But I understand what do you mean. With that said, I have a smartphone but I'm not always using it. Sometimes it's off for days.

You will not be impossible to reach if the person who's trying to contact you knows you well. The problem is that we are so caught up with technology in general that we don't take time to know each other. I mean, if I didn't hear from a friend in a long time, I will try to call, email, facebook and at last resort, knock on their door.

Warrior74

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Donald Trump says if you are anwsering your own cell phone, you don't make enough money. lol.

But seriously, until I get to trumps status, my cell phone is my business. I operate most of my daily activities out of my phone. Emailing clients, updating my website, calling clients. I guess it depends on what you do for a living. If your a fireman or a carpenter or a walmart greeter or even just an office drone, there is no reason for you to have a cell phone other than convience. if you are an entrepreneur, well good luck with that.

runner83

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I doubt it.

Any man with any semi-important job has to have a cell phone. If you don't need a mobile phone for your job, then sorry, but your job isn't important.

And for personal use, not having facebook (I don't btw) is bad enough. Not having a cell phone would be completely out of the question as far as I'm concerned.

Tell a girl you don't have one and she will go running in the opposite direction faster than you can say "$29.95 per month plan" :eek:

Da Realist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This year I've had it were my phone was off or broken and I've made it by going back to what I had to do before I had one: finding a land line, remembering numbers off the top of my head, and having patience. It's convenient to have one, but I could honestly get by with a house phone. The only reason to have a cellphone is again for convenience or because you are in a profession where people have to get in touch with you fast. Other than that, it's mostly impulsive people just loudly yapping about unimportant crap.

handle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The way I grew up, we had a house phone with no answering machine or caller ID. And it's still that way. Once I'm out of school I'll probably do the same. For now it's not worth it with roommates who already have cells.

handle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
runner83 said:
Any man with any semi-important job has to have a cell phone.
Not true for any sort of research position (prof, private industry)

Strelok

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Damn I miss so much the mid 90s,no cellphones,internet was for pro only and when a girl gave you her home number you were sure there was a high interest from her.
It was great to be a teenager in the 90s.

Nygard

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a hacked phone I use to watch the time and run code. It has no simcard and I can't use it to send or receive calls and on top of that. Hey, I'm alive.