Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Can’t Get Out of Bed to Save My Life

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I’m implementing more and more techniques so that I can be super productive and eventually completely fix my life.

One of the biggest struggles I have, is just getting out of bed in the morning. I always end up just slamming the alarm and going back to sleep. Which subsequently ruins my life lol. My life would be way way better if I could effortlessly, consistently get out of bed in the morning without going back to sleep.

Right now, I use the Alarmy App. It does a fantastic job of getting me out of bed, because you have to scan a picture of a room outside your bed to get it to shut off. But a lot of the time, I end up getting up, turning off the alarm, and then jumping right back in bed.

I’m considering buying the “Wake Up Check” feature, which asks you if you are fully awake. If you don’t respond yes, it “revives” your alarm. If I get Alarmy Premium, that would be $40 a year. If I can get up on time, it’s worth it.

But I was wondering if you guys had any ideas too. How can I keep myself from going back into bed in the mornings?

P.S. Cal Newport is spot on about working in bed being a disaster. Not even once, bro.

Last edited:

jimwho

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Might be because you don't "have" to get up. Kids, work, any obligation. You have to want to get up and be well rested. Your trying to annoy yourself up with gadgets, which by the way are ingenious ideas thank you. Bottom line is you should get to bed earlier. Suffer for a while, Day#1 Zero sleep, then after that gtf to bed early. If you wake up at 4:00am stay up. (stay up) reset your biological clock. Give yourself credit for wanting to change from a Sloth to a mover and shaker and get after it.

Last edited:

Willie Naylor

Banned
Reaction score
Get a sleep test done. Possible sleep apnea.

Do you feel sluggish throughout the day?
Feeling of 'brain fog?' - aka Hard to focus?

RickTheToad

Reaction score
I’m implementing more and more techniques so that I can be super productive and eventually completely fix my life.

One of the biggest struggles I have, is just getting out of bed in the morning. I always end up just slamming the alarm and going back to sleep. Which subsequently ruins my life lol. My life would be way way better if I could effortlessly, consistently get out of bed in the morning without going back to sleep.

Right now, I use the Alarmy App. It does a fantastic job of getting me out of bed, because you have to scan a picture of a room outside your bed to get it to shut off. But a lot of the time, I end up getting up, turning off the alarm, and then jumping right back in bed.

I’m considering buying the “Wake Up Check” feature, which asks you if you are fully awake. If you don’t respond yes, it “revives” your alarm. If I get Alarmy Premium, that would be $40 a year. If I can get up on time, it’s worth it.

But I was wondering if you guys had any ideas too. How can I keep myself from going back into bed in the mornings?

P.S. Cal Newport is spot on about working in bed being a disaster. Not even once, bro.
Don't you work? Why don't you setup daily goals? You cannot get up because there is no urgency and you are lazy. For your own good, you need to work on that.

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Get a sleep test done. Possible sleep apnea.

Do you feel sluggish throughout the day?
Feeling of 'brain fog?' - aka Hard to focus?
Actually, I know for a fact that I have some degree of sleep apnea.

Literally tired 24/7. I’m just using willpower to fight through it.

All I can really do is continue on the cut that I’m doing right now though. Once I lose enough that should fix it.

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't you work? Why don't you setup daily goals? You cannot get up because there is no urgency and you are lazy. For your own good, you need to work on that.
Still a student, I graduate in about a month. No 9 to 5 just yet. I work a night job. But I want to get this sleep stuff completely solved before I get there so that I can effortlessly get to work and make bank. Plus it would let me get more done.

Yeah, every morning I write down what I need to get done that day. I’m just super tired for whatever reason.

Though, I’ve been running some tests and Alarmy has been absolutely fantastic for waking me up. I think that’s the solution. Having an extremely strong, sophisticated alarm.

Also, I have to accept the fact that “working in bed” is the Devil and never works. And if I get back in bed after the alarm, I’m going back to sleep, end of story.

So with Alarmy, accepting those facts, and strong ass willpower during the day, I’m thinking I’ll be able to do it. The aim is to be able to get up whenever, on any amount of sleep. I’d bet this system will work great, I’ll continue testing it out.

Last edited:

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You mention you're in college. Younger people such as yourself can often need more sleep than they think they need. Working a night job will also destroy your sleep cycle. Are you sleeping at different times depending on which days you work, or are you keeping a consistent schedule? The best thing I can recommend for this sort of problem is to keep a consistent sleep schedule, possibly with the aid of melatonin, which helps keep your sleep regular. Try to go to sleep and wake up at the same time each day.

Unfortunately, it sounds like that may not be practical for you. Something else to think about is that if you're going to school full time and working, you may not have a lot of time for anything else. And that's okay, because it's only temporary and you are trying to self improve - school and work are your priorities right now. Another thing to think about is that deep thinking can fatigue you just as much as physical work, and if you're in college you're probably concentrating a lot.

Also agree with the possible sleep apnea @Family Man mentioned.

Willie Naylor

Banned
Reaction score
Actually, I know for a fact that I have some degree of sleep apnea.

Literally tired 24/7. I’m just using willpower to fight through it.

All I can really do is continue on the cut that I’m doing right now though. Once I lose enough that should fix it.
Ideally, yes it would. Clean diet, lose weight - those absolutely improve it.

If you have seasonal, or year round, allergy issues, I recommend taking 1x Claritin per day, and pumping Flonase 1x per day.

If this is in any way allergy-related, you will see a drastic improvement in the quality of your sleep.

TheProspect

Reaction score
Lay out shoes and a jogging outfit before bed.
Set an alarm in another room that you have to physically get up and walk to turn off.
Have a glass of water beside the alarm.

In the morning once you turn the alarm off, slam the glass of water, and then go for a walk or a run. Don't even go for a p!ss, don't wash your face, don't check your phone – nothing. Slam the water, put your shoes & outfit on, and get out of the house.

The alarm in another room gets you physically out of bed.
Water & outfit prepared the night before reduces the friction to accomplish those tasks once your alarm goes off.
The walk and water gets the body moving and hydrated.
Walk/jog until you feel alert. That could be 3 minutes or 30 minutes.
During your walk/jog, plan a to-do list to initiate once you get home. As soon as you get home, do the first task, and then do your morning routine (brush, eat, p!ss, study, put on coffee, etc)

---

Additional tips:
- Wake-up at the same time EVERY day
- Exercise adequately
- Improve your diet
- Don't take melatonin
- Reduce caffeine intake

At the end of the day, there is no magic formula for getting out of bed – except for getting the fvck out of your bed.

After the alarm goes off, you need to move. A body in motion stays in motion. Reduce the friction the night before by having part of your morning laid out for you already so there's less decision making going once your alarm goes off.

RickTheToad

Reaction score
Still a student, I graduate in about a month. No 9 to 5 just yet. I work a night job. But I want to get this sleep stuff completely solved before I get there so that I can effortlessly get to work and make bank. Plus it would let me get more done.

Yeah, every morning I write down what I need to get done that day. I’m just super tired for whatever reason.

Though, I’ve been running some tests and Alarmy has been absolutely fantastic for waking me up. I think that’s the solution. Having an extremely strong, sophisticated alarm.

Also, I have to accept the fact that “working in bed” is the Devil and never works. And if I get back in bed after the alarm, I’m going back to sleep, end of story.

So with Alarmy, accepting those facts, and strong ass willpower during the day, I’m thinking I’ll be able to do it. The aim is to be able to get up whenever, on any amount of sleep. I’d bet this system will work great, I’ll continue testing it out.
Have you had your blood levels checked? Are you overweight? What's your diet look like? More healthy fats and protein, less carbs. One cheat day a week is allowed.

metalwater

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I like what @TheProspect tells and know it will or can work.

I have seen many young men in military basic training show up and have this exact issue. A big trash can was dumped making huge noise on the floor next to the bed and then followed by a very noisy aggressive dude in the face who solved it in almost all of the cases.

when I was younger and HAD to wake up to go work I would put at least two alarms and in different places. I almost always would get up on the first one, but just in case I made as sure as I could that I would not screw up. I believe if you really want to solve this you can and will.

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Have you had your blood levels checked? Are you overweight? What's your diet look like? More healthy fats and protein, less carbs. One cheat day a week is allowed.
NIC's been getting fit lately.

Hey Nick. I've had periods where i pop up filled with energy for years at a time due to living in my purpose for a long time. It wasn't that i was "trying" it's that it was important to me.

Then I've had periods were it's harder to wakeup. Not really on purpose, no strong routine.

This morning I got up and didn't feel any energy. Actually felt soreness like it was hard to imagine how i can be physically active. I went outside for 5 minutes and had sunlight on me, for whatever reason i became invigorated and it was hard to remember that i ever felt like $hit.

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
NIC's been getting fit lately.

Hey Nick. I've had periods where i pop up filled with energy for years at a time due to living in my purpose for a long time. It wasn't that i was "trying" it's that it was important to me.

Then I've had periods were it's harder to wakeup. Not really on purpose, no strong routine.

This morning I got up and didn't feel any energy. Actually felt soreness like it was hard to imagine how i can be physically active. I went outside for 5 minutes and had sunlight on me, for whatever reason i became invigorated and it was hard to remember that i ever felt like $hit.
Maybe the routine is get up and put on your $hit for the morning workout with no delays.

TheCharmingGuy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score

Make sure you’re getting an amount of sleep where you will wake up in between sleep cycles. If you wake up in the middle of a cycle, you will be badly rested. This is why some people who get 9 hours of sleep are more tired than if those same people had gotten 7.5 hours of sleep.

I highly recommend using this sleep calculator, where you can input what time you want to give up and it will tell you the optimal times to fall asleep.

Good luck!

Billtx49

Reaction score
OP, waking up and getting going every morning Should be a stimulating and energetic thing for you to do.
It was for me when I enjoyed having my own retail business for 28 years.

If you think you can put off your uptime activities by remaining asleep longer, then there is no passion for you in what you’re doing.

As I see it you have about three remedy choices.
•Find something more exciting and different to do.
•Stay with what you do and get energized with an inner passion.
•Or see a Psych on a professional basis and get to the bottom of what’s wrong.

Bottom line - If you don’t really like what you’re doing, but think you still need to do it, That’s a big problem for the current you and your future self…
Your first clue is asking yourself what you want.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you think you can put off your uptime activities by remaining asleep longer, then there is no passion for you in what you’re doing.
I don't think that's necessarily true. Some people just aren't morning people, I know I'm not. But I get so engaged in activities that I don't want to go to bed, and I constantly have to fight that or it destroys my sleep cycle. Because I tend to start slow and gain energy throughout the day.