Originally posted by SageOFAllenAge
I heard casablanca was a classic i called this girl ive known for a month over to see it with me.
she later called off the movie plan & after that i havent heard from her again (3 days now)
I later found out casablanca is supposed to be a very romantic movie & i thought it was a WWII movie
IS THIS FATAL
Only fatal if she doesn't like classic movies. But that's not important. I've struck out before because of my taste in movies. We both like cult movies. And when I showed of my favorites to her, she was dissapointed and lost interest in me. Fact is, today's generation has a different definition of what a cult movie is from mine. Just a misunderstanding.
Similar to the same situation you're in, except you're both around the same age. When choosing a movie to watch with a chick, unless she specifies being open to variety, you might want to go for something that speaks to your own generation instead of a "classic" that was made almost half a century before you were born. Casablanca is a classic alright, but that being said, it falls outside of the mainstream consciousness of your generation. Notice how little you knew about it before seeing it.
Truth is, the definition of classic, notwithstanding, a lot of people will nevertheless downplay a movie or tv show made even only a decade before they were born, just based on the fact of age. Hell, I got troubles getting some of my female friends (who are also Sci Fi geeks) to look at the original Battlestar Galactica to see why I disapprove of the new SciFi Channel version.