Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Bupropion for depression

Blacksheep

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Does anyone here tried this medicine to treat depression and some compulsive behavior like food/alcohol?

I found a doctor that I really trust on, and he is thinking about that medicine to help me.

Would like to know if anyone had a good experience with it. It seems it's way better that other drugs like serotonin drugs (it kills my libido and make me feel weird). This one people said that there are not much side effects rather than insomnia.

Never used any medication, but the way depression is going in my life and after trying years of therapy without much result, I'm thinking that I should try it.

xplt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I haven't tried, but I got it prescribed long ago. My mother worked in pharmacy and adviced me against using it.

Bupropion is an amphetamine. So there can be side effects like insomnia, dry mouth, loss of appetite, headache, shaking, anxiety... it's a psycho stimulant. You can also develop an addiction or psychosis.

I took opipramol instead, only short term. It's serotonergic and worked very well for me. The only side effect I noticed was a slight hangover in the morning.

But I think you should listen to your doc. Educate yourself about your possibilities and discuss the pros and cons with him. Internet forums are more often than not a bad place for medical advice.

DelayedGratification

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Does anyone here tried this medicine to treat depression and some compulsive behavior like food/alcohol?

I found a doctor that I really trust on, and he is thinking about that medicine to help me.

Would like to know if anyone had a good experience with it. It seems it's way better that other drugs like serotonin drugs (it kills my libido and make me feel weird). This one people said that there are not much side effects rather than insomnia.

Never used any medication, but the way depression is going in my life and after trying years of therapy without much result, I'm thinking that I should try it.
I've been on it for over a decade. It initially worked wonders, although you should make sure your doc works you up to the full dose gradually. It did interfere with sleep, and amped up some latent anxiety. Both of which can be managed.

Midway through my experience, I found that it was primarily a maintenance drug. I wasn't feeling particularly "up", but found I would sink if I discontinued it for more than a few days.

My life circumstances have since gotten a lot less stressful, so I have done a few experiments with discontinuing. The big data point was my weeklong vacation last winter with my GF down to the warm. I figured I wouldn't be in more of a stress-free environment than that, so I took a holiday from it and discovered I was just fine. So at the end of August I took another holiday and haven't needed to get back onto it. I had no issues with discontinuing the drug in either instance.

I'd say it's at least worth a try. You're unlikely to get hooked, and if it's the right med for you, it can be a revelation. Depression is insidious, and once you have something that helps you rise above it, you realize just how much of a waste of time and energy it is to needlessly suffer Actual Clinical Depression(tm).

Blacksheep

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bupropion is an amphetamine. So there can be side effects like insomnia, dry mouth, loss of appetite, headache, shaking, anxiety... it's a psycho stimulant. You can also develop an addiction or psychosis.
I'm affraid of those things.

But we will talk more to decide if this is a good strategy or not. I would also ask him of those risks of psychosis... I'm very affraid of those drugs side effects.

Thanks for your answer man!

Blacksheep

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been on it for over a decade. It initially worked wonders, although you should make sure your doc works you up to the full dose gradually. It did interfere with sleep, and amped up some latent anxiety. Both of which can be managed.

Midway through my experience, I found that it was primarily a maintenance drug. I wasn't feeling particularly "up", but found I would sink if I discontinued it for more than a few days.

My life circumstances have since gotten a lot less stressful, so I have done a few experiments with discontinuing. The big data point was my weeklong vacation last winter with my GF down to the warm. I figured I wouldn't be in more of a stress-free environment than that, so I took a holiday from it and discovered I was just fine. So at the end of August I took another holiday and haven't needed to get back onto it. I had no issues with discontinuing the drug in either instance.

I'd say it's at least worth a try. You're unlikely to get hooked, and if it's the right med for you, it can be a revelation. Depression is insidious, and once you have something that helps you rise above it, you realize just how much of a waste of time and energy it is to needlessly suffer Actual Clinical Depression(tm).
Depression is really not good. It tricks you and when you get down is the really bad. I have some periods I'm pretty good, then the pressure cooker explodes and everything in my life stops, I started overeating and drinking huge amounts of alcohol... and this literally ****s my mind.

I'm at a point of my life that I need to work hard to grow up my company so I can leave my job. My job is really stressful and it's tooking some energy. If this drug can help me give a boost, it will help a lot. Cause getting down often is also making my health poor and I spent days to recover and get back to what I need to do.

stovepipe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Before I would even consider medication. How's your diet and exercise looking? The reason I ask is because 70% or so percent of the body's serotonin is made in the digestive tract aka "the gut". If you're eating a lot of processed foods, sugar and other unhealthy foods it has a huge impact on ones mental health. It is very common people who eat that way are more depressed.

Eating healthy wholefoods filled with lots of veggies, lean protein, healthy fats and fruit will greatly improve ones mental health. Adding in some basic walking or weight training to that will also help. Food is medicine and I cannot tell you how many times I've seen peoples mental healthy improve as a result of healthy eating vs taking nasty medication that have even nastier side effects.

I would only recommend pharma as a last resort option. That stuff alters the mind so much, creates fog, makes you become dependent. Then if and when you decide to get off the meds, you deal with the hell of withdraw and even worse depression.

Blacksheep

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Before I would even consider medication. How's your diet and exercise looking? The reason I ask is because 70% or so percent of the body's serotonin is made in the digestive tract aka "the gut". If you're eating a lot of processed foods, sugar and other unhealthy foods it has a huge impact on ones mental health. It is very common people who eat that way are more depressed.

Eating healthy wholefoods filled with lots of veggies, lean protein, healthy fats and fruit will greatly improve ones mental health. Adding in some basic walking or weight training to that will also help. Food is medicine and I cannot tell you how many times I've seen peoples mental healthy improve as a result of healthy eating vs taking nasty medication that have even nastier side effects.

I would only recommend pharma as a last resort option. That stuff alters the mind so much, creates fog, makes you become dependent. Then if and when you decide to get off the meds, you deal with the hell of withdraw and even worse depression.
Im trying all of that... I found I really good doctor that helps me understand what I should eat, made some exams and I'm taking some supplements to help improve some defiences like B complex, D Vitamin, testosterone. It's like almost 2 months I'm doing it.

But sometimes Idk how, I get so stressed out that I drunk so much... and I know alcohol ****s our body and mind. I have difficult trying to quit it, and the most dangerous times is when I drink alcohol to run away from the pain I feel. I'm affraid that I can be developing some psychosis for those stressful situations and this scares me so much.

I just feel that I'm losing control, and when I said that I will quit it... sometime I will just do that compulsively, just like an addiction.

stovepipe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Alcohol is a depressant which you already know isn't helping your mental state, it's making it worse. It is an addiction, you're addicted, you're aware of it. It's hard to admit it to ones self, but you must try to remind yourself daily that you do not need alcohol to deal with your demons.

It's clear alcohol is one of the biggest culprits to your mental state and other health issues. You're taking testosterone in what form and why? Did your Dr tell you excessive alcohol consumption decreases testosterone levels? I wouldn't be surprised if alcohol is causing a lot of problems. It has so many nasty effects from weight gain, bloating, depression, lowering test, deficiencies, negative thoughts or even suicidal thoughts, ect.

You are in control of you. When you start using drugs or alcohol they become in control (you already know). Try eating healthier, exercising a few times a week and STOP DRINKING. Had a friend last year who was a similar situation as you. Drank a lot to take away the pain and escape reality. He quit cold turkey over a year ago and is now in control of himself along with being the healthiest version for the 1st time in 20 years. Just listening to him explain how it controlled his life and all the other negative things it did to his body was an eye opener for a 100th time on how brutal alcohol addiction is.

I know it's easier said than done. You got this! I believe you!

Blacksheep

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Alcohol is a depressant which you already know isn't helping your mental state, it's making it worse. It is an addiction, you're addicted, you're aware of it. It's hard to admit it to ones self, but you must try to remind yourself daily that you do not need alcohol to deal with your demons.

It's clear alcohol is one of the biggest culprits to your mental state and other health issues. You're taking testosterone in what form and why? Did your Dr tell you excessive alcohol consumption decreases testosterone levels? I wouldn't be surprised if alcohol is causing a lot of problems. It has so many nasty effects from weight gain, bloating, depression, lowering test, deficiencies, negative thoughts or even suicidal thoughts, ect.

You are in control of you. When you start using drugs or alcohol they become in control (you already know). Try eating healthier, exercising a few times a week and STOP DRINKING. Had a friend last year who was a similar situation as you. Drank a lot to take away the pain and escape reality. He quit cold turkey over a year ago and is now in control of himself along with being the healthiest version for the 1st time in 20 years. Just listening to him explain how it controlled his life and all the other negative things it did to his body was an eye opener for a 100th time on how brutal alcohol addiction is.

I know it's easier said than done. You got this! I believe you!
100% agree. It's something I must do really quickly. Alcohol is definitely ****ing my life. I tried so many times and I have some relapses, but I won't give up on this.

About testosterone I'm taking this compound: tribulus terrestris + turkesterone + vagus cyanotis + urtiga dioica. It's not hormone but he said that it helps increase in a natural way.

And I know that with alcohol all those supplements I'm taking is worthless, cause it literally kills the absortion of some vitamins and my testo levels get down.

In the past I could stay like 3 months without alcohol, and it was really good. Everything changes in a positive way. I just don't know why, knowing everything I know I just go there and allow it again... It's like something bigger than my desire to control it.

And thank you for your feedback, I appreciate it!

xplt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I know that problem with alcohol and mental hangovers. Cutting back drinking and starting to work out and improving your diet like stovepipe said would be a good step forward.

I just read „The modern man diet“ from Jakob Brand. I found it very useful, perhaps you want to check if it‘s something for you.

SeymourCake

Banned
Reaction score
Stay away from psychiatric drugs at all costs. Your doctor is not a friend. They are salesman for the pharmaceutical industry. Once you experience a side effect, your doctor who you trust a lot will prescribe you another medication to counteract the side effects which in turn will give you more side effects. Next thing you know, you'll be on over 10 medications.

Side Effects of Bupropion include:
  • a seizure (convulsions);
  • confusion, unusual changes in mood or behavior;
  • blurred vision, tunnel vision, eye pain or swelling, or seeing halos around lights;
  • fast or irregular heartbeats; or
  • a manic episode - racing thoughts, increased energy, reckless behavior, feeling extremely happy or irritable, talking more than usual, severe problems with sleep.

Rather than depending on medication drugs I would recommend eating nutritiously, adequate sleep, exercise and having good people to be around with.

Last edited:

Blacksheep

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Try CBD, if you can get it. Your doctor will tell you it doesn't work, but that's because he works for the competition.
What is CBD? Never heard about it.

Going to add to my adaptogenic herb St John wort and Gotu Kola. I'm using schisandra, it helps a bit but when I drink alcohol it kills all the benefits of this herb. They say Johns wort and Gotu kola act with sinergy.

I will search for this CBD to see what it is.

Blacksheep

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Stay away from psychiatric drugs at all costs. Your doctor is not a friend. They are salesman for the pharmaceutical industry.
Actually he said me that psychiatric drugs is not good and he works with integrative medicine. So I asked him if I should go to psychiatrist and he said it was not a good idea because of over medication.

Idk why he is thinking about bupropion for me. Gonna talk to check if he is going to prescribe some drugs. I never used that and I don't want to go this way.

xplt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Try CBD, if you can get it. Your doctor will tell you it doesn't work, but that's because he works for the competition.
CBD is really worth a try. Just read a little bit through the web. Works perfect for easing your mind and releasing tension.

You could also try a good indica cannabis, but in your situation it depends strongly how you react to thc. For me it helps releasing anxiety, muscle tension and focusing my thoughts.

Blacksheep

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Care to share what your Dr. meant by the term of you being over medicated ?
He said that some psychiatrists prescribe a lot of medications without thinking about the side effects, and most of cases he found patients that created other health problems by those medications.

But I don't know if bupropion is a better choice than for example serotonin inhibitors drugs. I tried some of those for 10 days, I felt really bad and cannot continue.

Blacksheep

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
CBD is really worth a try. Just read a little bit through the web. Works perfect for easing your mind and releasing tension.

You could also try a good indica cannabis, but in your situation it depends strongly how you react to thc. For me it helps releasing anxiety, muscle tension and focusing my thoughts.
Gonna look for that, is there any complete name for CBD?

I've tried cannabis before, it made me on a bad trip... I felt some weird stuffs like if my back was going to break, lack of air and some mental confusions. So I never did it again.

Billtx49

Reaction score
He said that some psychiatrists prescribe a lot of medications without thinking about the side effects, and most of cases he found patients that created other health problems by those medications.

But I don't know if bupropion is a better choice than for example serotonin inhibitors drugs. I tried some of those for 10 days, I felt really bad and cannot continue.
Psychiatrists think exclusively about a medications effect on your mental state and health. They see it as a bandaid type stopgap until they can therapeutically repair any damage you have.

Regarding the ssri’s, some work better on your individual biology than others, i.e. you may feel like krap on Efexxor, but fine on Lexapro…

If that is the best medical advice you can get from your Dr. then find another Dr. or actually listen to what the Dr. tells you…