Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Building stamina for jogging fast!

viking22

Don Juan
Reaction score
I want to start jogging but do not really have the patience for these Coach-to-5K programmes with walking/running intervals and also need to get a good workout from the start as part of the reason I am taking it up is to deal with depression/anxiety.

What is a good approach for getting fast results. I want to build up to doing 30 minutes a day (doing around 5K). I am happy to train every morning but need a progression that works well and builds stamina fast.

Appreciate any advice

SargeMaximus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Would also like to know. I been walking as often as I can and want to start jogging but I’m definite out of shape due to lockdowns

2Rocky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You need the time...Otherwise injury is much more likely. Start the couch to 5K and supplement it with strength workouts that are focused on more reps and lighter weight. Rest is an important part of the formula for success.... If you don't rest, your body will make you ...

My Qualifications? I've coached training groups for various distances...

SargeMaximus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You need the time...Otherwise injury is much more likely. Start the couch to 5K and supplement it with strength workouts that are focused on more reps and lighter weight. Rest is an important part of the formula for success.... If you don't rest, your body will make you ...

My Qualifications? I've coached training groups for various distances...

Wish you were on Reddit last night. Guy was amogging me hard because I made the same claim. Kept demanding proof. I told him to google it

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
30 minutes of jogging is not long or strenuous. It does not need a complicated program.

I suggest getting a stop watch. Go to a public park or running trail and jog at a slow pace for 30 minutes. Don’t be a pvssy. Most reasonably healthy men can do this with no prior training. If you have to stop and walk briskly to catch your breath that’s fine. You should be able to jog the entire 30 minutes nonstop in just a few outings. Over time, your speed and distance will naturally increase. 30 minutes of jogging is not that hard, so you should be able to push the pace in just a few weeks.

Billtx49

Reaction score
30 minutes of jogging is not long or strenuous. It does not need a complicated program.

I suggest getting a stop watch. Go to a public park or running trail and jog at a slow pace for 30 minutes. Don’t be a pvssy. Most reasonably healthy men can do this with no prior training. If you have to stop and walk briskly to catch your breath that’s fine. You should be able to jog the entire 30 minutes nonstop in just a few outings. Over time, your speed and distance will naturally increase. 30 minutes of jogging is not that hard, so you should be able to push the pace in just a few weeks.
From personal experience I recommend a time based approach also. I wouldn’t start with a set time limit tho. If he does 10 minutes at good speed one week, try to go 15 the next. The goal being about 10-11 minutes/mile for slightly over 3 miles. It might take a couple months to get there for most beginners .…

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
From personal experience I recommend a time based approach also. I wouldn’t start with a set time limit tho. If he does 10 minutes at good speed one week, try to go 15 the next. The goal being about 10-11 minutes/mile for slightly over 3 miles. It might take a couple months to get there for most beginners .…
I respectfully disagree with a speed based/ pacing approach. With running, speed is synonymous with strength. It is the by product of conditioning. The total distance or total time should be held constant.

For example, if the goal is for him to run 3 miles.. he should start by jogging as much of the 3 miles as possible without stopping. Over time, the pace will improve. It’s an easy way to track improvement.

For a time based approach, the distance traveled will increase, as a result of speed improvements.

Billtx49

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree with a speed based/ pacing approach. With running, speed is synonymous with strength.
I disagree, time at speed is the value of both strength and endurance. Anyone can run fast for short periods, the problem is building endurance.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I disagree, time at speed is the value of both strength and endurance.
This is the chicken and the egg paradox. The speed comes from the strength and endurance. Not vice versa.

In layman’s terms: running faster does not give you endurance. Endurance gives you the ability to run faster.

TheProspect

Reaction score
I also agree with willpowering through some shorter duration runs such as 20 or 30 minutes, even if the jog pace is only slightly faster than a brisk walk.

I notice after about 10-15 minutes of jogging, I kind of get in the "zone", where it requires less conscious effort to keep going and I feel like I'm on auto-pilot. Many beginners will stop once they hit that wall or begin to feel a cramp coming. Just adjust your pace and keep going.

The caveat to all this being that if you begin to feel pain anywhere in your feet, ankles, knees, hip flexors, etc, then you need to stop and walk. Usually these injuries are the result of increasing your pace too quickly, or going straight from no running to running a bunch of miles before your body has a few runs to properly adapt to the stresses you're placing on it. If you try to David Goggins your way through pain you'll likely end up with an injury that sidelines you from anywhere from a few days to a few months.

Be smart, but don't be afraid to push yourself sooner than later.

DonJuanjr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The only time I really focused on cardio, I started doing HIIT. I'd sprint for 30 seconds, then walk for a min. Then repeat until I did the mile. I noticed an increase in endurance doing this.

metalwater

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
the type of muscle you grow and what it can do is different for endurance vs power. based on how you train the muscle will grow differently.

take a look at some famous sprinters such as Bolt and also distance runners such as Kipchage. Very different bodies, but both are VERY good at what they do.

dandycasper78

Banned
Reaction score
To increase your endurance, you need to work from 55% to 90% of your maximum heart rate for at least 30 minutes of each workout. Smartwatches are great for doing this type of exercise, as well as seeing the results in front of you as you improve. This is because you should find that you can do the same exercise at the same intensity, but your heart rate drops over time. Then, in order to improve further, as already mentioned, you need to either run further or run faster in order to keep improving. Memorize at least 30 minutes, so if you can't make the 30-minute mark, you're working hard!

firstbornunicorn

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree with a speed based/ pacing approach. With running, speed is synonymous with strength. It is the by product of conditioning. The total distance or total time should be held constant.

For example, if the goal is for him to run 3 miles.. he should start by jogging as much of the 3 miles as possible without stopping. Over time, the pace will improve. It’s an easy way to track improvement.

For a time based approach, the distance traveled will increase, as a result of speed improvements.
This is completely wrong. Don't listen to this guy OP unless you want a one way ticket to injury city.

firstbornunicorn

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Too many assumptions are being made. Mainly: we don't know how old OP is or how fit he is. Unfit old knees cannot just go for it the same way younger and fitter people can. Running form is also not obvious. 80% of casual joggers I see have terrible form and are screwing their knees up. Going slow takes longer, yes, but ligaments/tendons need time, and there will be fewer injuries.

How do I know? Started running already having the stamina of a cyclist and sprained a lot of ankles and went through a lot of knee pain because my knees were not used to the new movements and my form wasn't great at the start. Thankfully I'm fit and recover quick, but the same injuries on someone less fit could have taken them out for years, even if just mentally.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Too many assumptions are being made. Mainly: we don't know how old OP is or how fit he is. Unfit old knees cannot just go for it the same way younger and fitter people can.
They can if they aren’t an idiot about it. My analysis was the following:

Rather than adopting a goal pace (10 minute/mile), I advocate the OP go out and run for a specified time (30 minutes) or distance (2 or 3 miles). Pace is not relevant; the point is to do the work. Beginners cannot run that entire distance without walking.. which is 100% okay! Do the work. The pace improves naturally as conditioning improves.

The first outing, OP may only be able to run for 5 minutes followed by 25 minutes of walking. The next outing it’s 8 minutes run 22 minutes walk. Then 15 minutes run 15 minutes walk. The improvement is gradual. After he can run for 30 straight minutes, he will notice the pace of runs improve with each outing.

Does that make sense?

Bandolero

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Take your time buddy.
Your heart and lungs gonna catch up very quick on the distance and speed.
You should be worrying about your joints.
You can add 5 % per week to your distance.
Better to squeeze in another running day, instead of running more miles .

I speak from my personal experience.
Had terrible pain in the knees last year for a month and couldn't run for 3 .

Namebejed7

Reaction score
Not to be overlooked, if you're doing this for depression/anxiety anything is better than nothing. I'm in the camp with the jog as much as you can in a time frame and walk fast when it gets to be too much. I've done this over the past couple of years. I don't think there's anything wrong with jog/walking a distance goal instead of a time goal, except that it may be too much too soon.

Specifically the way I trained was to buy a heart monitor and I walked fast keeping my heart in a zone 2 (you'd have to look this up, I can't remember how to calculate it). Eventually I was able to jog some of it and then now I jog the whole thing. I'm still not fast but I'm happy with my progress. I also started out way overweight, not sure your situation there.

Back to depression; if it's seasonal, you may get benefit from getting sun whenever possible and taking vitamin D supplements (not the same vitamin D you give the ladies)... I take 10k IU of vitamin D daily and it helps get me through the shorter days of winter, but everyone is different and that may not be your problem.

Good luck! Don't rush things, remember any movement is progress in the beginning. It's much better to just move your body and establish the habit than it is to set some ideal goal that will have you giving up if you can't accomplish it.

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I can't believe this is an actual discussion.

Start jogging every day and keep getting better.

wtf...

Last edited: