Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Building an entry level IT portfolio

AttackFormation

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have zero experience in IT except a programming course i took once. I want to build up a portfolio that i can showcase to recruiters, so i can get employed through demonstrating "equivalent experience" instead of a university degree. I think i would like to work with IT security, but am open to just about anything. Right now i plan to complete the A+ and Google certificates.

My questions are:

1) Which entry level skill sets and jobs are more in demand in your experience? I dont want to train in programming language X to perform job Y, only to find that there's a glut of candidates for that and i have to fight like a rat to get employed at all.

2) What should i demonstrate that i can do in the portfolio to get that job? For example, how would i demonstrate basic competence in cyber security? do i host a server that the recruiter attempts to attack or something?

FraUnderRadaren

Don Juan
Reaction score
...do i host a server that the recruiter attempts to attack or something?
XD I'm sorry but that sh1t's funny as h3ll. I don't even think a recruiter can social engineer out of a wet paper back let alone hack a server.

Are looking to become a developer? Or maybe a Security Operations Centere guy?

AttackFormation

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
XD I'm sorry but that sh1t's funny as h3ll. I don't even think a recruiter can social engineer out of a wet paper back let alone hack a server.

Are looking to become a developer? Or maybe a Security Operations Centere guy?
They both sound cool, but checking out this page, it sounds like id prefer to be a sec operations guy at first glance (i guess theyre broadly called security analysts?).

FraUnderRadaren

Don Juan
Reaction score
They both sound cool, but checking out this page, it sounds like id prefer to be a sec operations guy at first glance (i guess theyre broadly called security analysts?).
Security analysts spend most their time monitoring the network much like network operations centere analyst. The key difference is that they are trained to pick up anomalies between connections that go in and out of an organization's services and products. So having knowledge in networking is quite huge. But what makes the SOC guy unique is that they have to be a cross-disciplinarian of skills (programming, cryptography, hardware, etc.) because of the many attack vectors a malicious user can have.

To build a portfolio as one, it's more about establishing an authority over key topics than it is showing one's work. The secret sauce in doing that is simply blogging about your learning experience. Another option is starting with web site security and demonstrate using it against some standard like OWASP.

This would be a good place to start with generating content: https://tryhackme.com/
Do a challenge, complete it, and then write about it and the lessons you learnt.

Last edited:

FraUnderRadaren

Don Juan
Reaction score
If you looking to become a developer, then building a portfolio is more straightforward. When people go to your site, they don't want to see a resume. They want see what you can do. Much like the business folks on here, they're going to trust you more and be willing to pay a higher demanding price when you can build a product that matches what they are envisioning.

Sure, blogging about your development journey is great but with content being king, actual real-world applications that people use everyday will go home and fvck the king's queen any day of the week.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I have zero experience in IT except a programming course i took once. I want to build up a portfolio that i can showcase to recruiters, so i can get employed through demonstrating "equivalent experience" instead of a university degree. I think i would like to work with IT security, but am open to just about anything. Right now i plan to complete the A+ and Google certificates.

My questions are:

1) Which entry level skill sets and jobs are more in demand in your experience? I dont want to train in programming language X to perform job Y, only to find that there's a glut of candidates for that and i have to fight like a rat to get employed at all.

2) What should i demonstrate that i can do in the portfolio to get that job? For example, how would i demonstrate basic competence in cyber security? do i host a server that the recruiter attempts to attack or something?
Go take this exceptionally well done course...and thank me later.

Well...I am not sure about IT security, but I did the same thing as a software engineer where I taught myself and then got a job with no industry experience and no CS degree...at 40 years old. Maybe check edX.org(MITs free online educational classes) to see if there are any courses on IT security there, as those are exceptionally well done as well. Also find good YouTube tutorials and code along with them. Get apps, books, ebooks and anything else you can get your hands on.

Something all the IT recruiters literally laughed me out of the building because of. I got the last laugh tho. I have a list of those MFs too...now they keep trying to get me jobs and I won't deal with any of them that treated me that way... wasn't good enough back then for you, not good enough now.

Basically you need to be better than equivalent people coming out of college with degrees. You need to know your sh!t backwards and forwards, you need to take it very seriously almost like a 2nd job and devote most of your time to it. Honestly you almost have to be obsessed with it.

You can definitely do it, but it takes discipline, a lot of hard work and a lot of resilience because you will get shot down left and right by companies. But you only need to convince one to take a chance on you to get your foot in the door.

FraUnderRadaren

Don Juan
Reaction score
One thing I would suggest while building your apps for your portfolio is avoid these SPA frameworks (React, Vue, Angular, etc.)

The problem with them is that there's this perception in the community that you must know atleast one or of these frameworks and are being treated as if they are languages themselves. However, I feel this pigeon holes newer devs, specifically the self-taught ones into a single framework and they ended up spending too much of their time trying to master these view frameworks. But in reality, the time needs to be spent on the programming language behind them which JavaScript.

Thus, first try to build projects with vanilla html, css, and Javascript first. Then, take on bigger stuff like Node or any other backend technologies (Java, C#, etc.)

You'll be in a better position in doing so.

BadWatermelon

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been a Sysadmin for 10 years. Noting that you're in Sweden, so things may be a little different there than in the US.

We have companies here called managed service providers (MSPs) that contract IT support for many other companies. The hours are long and the pay isn't great, but you'll learn a lot very fast. Put in a year or two at an MSP and you'll be able to get an IT job anywhere.

On the programming side, I have a computer science degree. You certainly don't need one (from an education standpoint) to be a sysadmin, but it's helpful to have one on your resume, and it will help you understand the fundamentals of programming languages and how computers work.

Stephen89

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Check out the content and nano degrees from udacity.

You can just build your own portfolio of projects.

xplt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Security analysts spend most their time monitoring the network much like network operations centere analyst. The key difference is that they are trained to pick up anomalies between connections that go in and out of an organization's services and products. So having knowledge in networking is quite huge. But what makes the SOC guy unique is that they have to be a cross-disciplinarian of skills (programming, cryptography, hardware, etc.) because of the many attack vectors a malicious user can have.

To build a portfolio as one, it's more about establishing an authority over key topics than it is showing one's work. The secret sauce in doing that is simply blogging about your learning experience. Another option is starting with web site security and demonstrate using it against some standard like OWASP.

This would be a good place to start with generating content: https://tryhackme.com/
Do a challenge, complete it, and then write about it and the lessons you learnt.
Solid advice. THM is pretty addictive with it's learning materials.

If you want to enter IT-Security or Cybersecurity, I recomment to build a strong understanding of OS's, networking, virtualization and basic programming first.
CompTIA A+ is a good start for an entry job like helpdesk. Network+ is more worth it imo.

Networking, virtualizition, cloud computing and cybersecurity are all in high demand right now and will be for the next years.

xplt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
TryHackMe just released a learning path for cybersecurity prerequistites. "Pre Security"

Basic networking, basic web technology and common attacks, Linux and Windows basics.

Good way to start and test, if this field is something for you.

Btw. your public THM profile or a publicly available bughunting profile could be your entry level portfolio/skillset showcase.

Last edited:

B80

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
20 years of my career was in IT. Started on helpdesk at mega corp - so just fixing windows client issues remotely. Then moved onto infrastructure support - Virtualization (vmware/hyper v), citrix, networks and general MS server.

Most people don;t go straight into cyber roles, unless you're coming out of uni with a degree.

Agree with above re MSP's (which they also have in the UK and USA - probably everywhere to some degree). Pay not as good, but you'll get a lot more exposure to all the common tech/ Problem with corps is they tend to pigeon hole you into 1 small part of the infrastructure, plus have strict policies, processes in place so you don;t even really get to full utilize the tech you're meant to support, whereas when supporting smaller organisations you're more likely to have full access to everything with less red tape. this helps increase your understanding of IT infrastructures quicker as you're handson with the entire infrastructure and can see how it all fits together. Mega Corps, particularly global banks tend to pay much better ime though.

Maybe worth looking at entry level certs like A+, Network + and Security + to show you have real enthusiasm for a career into IT, then move onto higher vendor certs once you have your foot in the door and getting handson experience. Good thing with IT is that although in general it doesn't pay as well as around 2000 for lower roles, if you're dedicated and put the work in whilst in the office and at home with study, you can accelerate your career path pretty quickly without a degree, unlike a lot of other well paid careers. Learning resources like books, videos and software for labs can be sourced cheaply/free so you can upskill for minimal outlay - don't need to spend thousands on courses, the material is all out there, just need to put the time in. Also depends on where you live and if willing to move for better opportunities.

Also, although not everyone who works in IT fits the cliche of being an awkward nerd, there is a fair % of that in comparison to other paths ime. So if you have above average people skills, in shape and presentable that will put you in good stead against the more stereo typical nerdy types. I'm pretty average intelligence wise, but strong work ethic and ability to get on well with colleagues and clients has served me well. I've come across some really bright people over the years, some of which shoot themselves in the foot with how they interact with clients/colleagues -condescending, patronizing, superiority complexes etc.

Last edited:

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
FWIW, I am an "early-retiree" :rolleyes: from programming.

I would say the best thing to do is to get involved in open-source work, where you can point to a product that you had contributed to that can be downloaded - or alternatively a .org that you volunteer in help maintaining. This allows you to build your LinkedIn profile by saying that used SomeStupidLanguage and SomeEvenDumberAPI so that recruiters will get hits on your profile. Another thing to try is to write sharecode for GitHub or CodeProject. You could also do work at a place like Fiverr for a very low rate, mentioning that you are looking to get started and am looking for good reviews not money; this is basically the business plan for any internet business.

As for myself, rather than do all that free sheet, I'd rather NEET.

Alex_011

Reaction score
In our time, unfortunately, a diploma plays a big role, without which you can’t go anywhere, if you say that I can do it and do you think they will trust you?

evan12

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

My questions are:

Getting job as developer is far more easy than get a job as IT , if you insist to be IT person and desired you have two specialties :
Cyber security
Cloud Architecture ( profession either Azure or AWS )

BDDazza

Don Juan
Reaction score

My questions are:

Hi,

IT is a broad area, so you need to drill down to the specific area of IT that you're interested in. It's not good enough to say "I am open to just about anything" because it sounds like you don't have a clear direction, and the recruiters will only take a risk on somebody ambition with a clear goal.

The IT industry is one of the few industries that don't require a degree. Providing you have enough hands-on experience and/or certifications in your given area.

For the hardware route, you need to understand the fundaments of hardware, software and networking. Start with CompTIA A+, and after you are CompTIA A+ certified apply for an entry level IT help desk role, you may start with password resets and troubleshooting, eventually you'll move up 2nd line and 3rd line support as your experience grows. Once you're comfortable in the job, sit the more challenging IT certifications such as Security+, Network+. CCNA, CCNP etc. Once you're certified you can move into more higher paid roles away from helpdesk and start supporting the infrastructure.

I wouldn't recommend programming as a career unless you have a passion for it. It's one of those few careers where you are constantly learning new languages and frameworks to appease the latest trend. You will spend years learning a technology in an organisation only to find that other organisations couldn't care less about it. This means you'll be studying and researching after work and on weekends just to keep your skills fresh i.e. no social life. Also, programming roles even at entry level are extremely difficult to get, you are competing against kids who have been writing code their entire life and whom eat, sleep and sh!t coding. The application process is brutal they will give you extremely difficult math tests and expect you to write code and explain it under extreme pressure just to get to the first round of interviews.

If you want to stay close to the code without having to write it, look into software testing, an entry level Test Analyst role. Start with your ISEB-ISTQB certification at foundation level. Most junior roles won't expect you to have much practical experience, just to demonstrate good testing fundamentals through knowledge. Google "freelance testing roles" and you'll come across many platforms lie 'Utest' and 'Upwork' that you can join to get hands on experience testing applications, you can put those experiences on your resume to assist with getting a corporate testing role.

Also consider less technical roles too in IT, such as Project Manager, Product Manager, Business Analyst etc.