Why "Whatever You Want" Keeps You Single

She says the movie looks dumb; you suddenly agree. She tests you with a little attitude; you apologize for nothing.

You think you're being easy to get along with. She reads something else entirely: a man with no edges. Nothing to hold on to. No friction, no tension, no reason to wonder what he really thinks.

The "22 Rules" taught me to push back — playfully, calmly, without needing her approval. Strange things happened after that.

Read more...

Being Funny

CAPSLOCK BANDIT

Master Don Juan
Joined
Jul 29, 2020
Messages
2,792
Reaction score
2,125
I have a friend, this guy does impressions and he thinks he is hilarious, even on dates and it's great for a gag or two, but so many men have these crutches they use to invoke moments of comedy, because they don't know how to be funny... Like some people will rattle off a movie quote, invoke a funny moment from a movie, great, but that is a one time trick, it gets old very quickly, the impressions are no different, it goes from funny to weird to awkward and that's all these guys have to crutch on, it's outright cringe at the worst.

Being funny is not a complex thing, it is all about timing and that is something that needs to be developed; within the process of that development, the complexities lay, yet even if your timing is off, now you can get a sense for how far you were off for next time.

This is probably the most impressive example of timing:

The legend himself
 

“The 22 Rules That Flip the Script With Women… And How You Can Use Them Tonight”

Most guys accidentally kill attraction before they even speak. They assume they need a bigger bank account, a better physique, or smoother lines. They miss the point.

Female desire operates on a specific set of psychological triggers.  Break them, and you're invisible. Follow them, and you become magnetic.

I learned this the hard way. Years of freezing up. Getting friend-zoned. Watching other guys walk away with the girl I wanted. Then I discovered a set of 22 simple rules that rewired my entire approach.

Read more...

rjc149

Master Don Juan
Joined
Jul 17, 2019
Messages
866
Reaction score
1,323
Location
NJ/NYC
Nothing is more insecure, approval-seeking and low-value than the guy who's always trying to make everyone laugh.

It's downright cringey.

Your own sense of humor is a function of your overall attitude and outlook on life. If you find a situation genuinely funny to you, and make some wisecrack or joke about it, that's your own amusement at the situation, not for the entertainment of others. If others find it funny, haha. If they don't, haha. That's what differentiates the great stand-up comics from the bad ones -- the greats are expressing their own amusement at life, the bad ones are just trying to make the audience laugh.

I personally hate people who are relentlessly sarcastic and sardonic, because they think being cynical is appealing. Yeah it may be good for a few good cracks. But eventually, it's try-hard and I'm just like "Dude -- what's your deal? Mama didn't give you enough tit as a baby or what?"
 

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Joined
Jul 7, 2012
Messages
5,509
Reaction score
5,682
Being funny is not a complex thing, it is all about timing and that is something that needs to be developed; within the process of that development, the complexities lay, yet even if your timing is off, now you can get a sense for how far you were off for next time.
I would disagree that being funny is not a complex thing. It's like saying that being good with girls is not complex. For some people it is and for some it is not (otherwise, forums like this would not exist). It totally depends on your personality. Some people are naturally witty; others are not. If you are not natural witty, your jokes will come across as corny and forced.

There are also cultural differences - what's considered humorous in one culture could be seen as silly or downright dumb in another culture.
For example, if you are a westerner watching a Bollywood movie, you might laugh but not because you find it humorous but because everything about it seems so ridiculous. In the same vein, Hollywood comedies typically do poorly overseas, because people in other parts of the world generally don't like the American sense of humour, which they find crude and boring.
 

"I just moved here from Florida."

That sentence contains at least five follow-up questions she WANTS you to ask. Where in Florida? What brought you here? How long have you been in the area? What do you miss? How does it compare to here?

She handed them to you on a silver platter. And you said, "Oh cool. I come here every week. I love this band. Ummm... pretty crowded tonight."

She smiled politely. Nodded. And never texted you back.

I was that guy for years. Talking too much. Listening too little. Panicking about my next sentence while she was literally feeding me the answers.

Then I found 22 rules that fixed the whole thing. Rule number one: shut up and listen. She'll tell you exactly what to say.

Read more...

BadBoy89

Master Don Juan
Joined
Jan 18, 2020
Messages
2,388
Reaction score
2,689
This reminds of an episode of FRIENDS where Joeys niece got pregnant from a guy she just met.

Joey: I can’t believe this
Gina: I know but its just happened. I met him last week and he’s really funny.
Joey: You got pregnant for “funny”? Gina...if he‘s funny....LAUGH!


There are 2 types of funny; cheesy and sophisticated. A man definitely does not want to be the former.
 
Top