Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Anyone try Monster.com? (Don't move to Anything Else)

WestCoaster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
* Don't move this to "Anything Else" -- I'd rather have the Mature guys post here not the teeny-boppers on "Anything Else" who are trying to dispense advice on life, love, and career at age 16.

On the job search of late, had a few interviews and plenty of strikeouts. I'm reaching a boiling point and something needs to change. I've used Monster.com for searching, has anyone had success from that site in landing a job? I like what I do fine (I'm in higher ed), but need a new place to do it and more $$$.

Thanks for any input you have.

T Dog

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Never had any luck on Monster. Monster sucks. I've had much better luck with Career Builder.

Also look in the local business journal. Scan the articles for new employers coming to town.

WestCoaster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good point, I just met some people from Career Builder the other day. I've heard good things -- thanks!

Kid Quick

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ditto. I've found many more listings on CareerBuilder than on Monster. CareerBuilder must be much more aggressive in signing up companies.

MacAvoy

Banned
Reaction score
I wasn't a fan of monster or workopolis the past year when I did my job search. They are great for National companies but I found local webpages must better in terms of finding quality local jobs.

It depends on the market your going after. There was good volume on places like Monster but I think the competition is also greater.

Golden Arms

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I got my current job on Monster.. and I got a call back the very next day after I applied for it; so I was very satisfied

Cesare Cardinali

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's an anything else topic. Just ignore the advice you find not mature enough.

Falcon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
WestCoaster said:
* Don't move this to "Anything Else" -- I'd rather have the Mature guys post here not the teeny-boppers on "Anything Else" who are trying to dispense advice on life, love, and career at age 16.

On the job search of late, had a few interviews and plenty of strikeouts. I'm reaching a boiling point and something needs to change. I've used Monster.com for searching, has anyone had success from that site in landing a job? I like what I do fine (I'm in higher ed), but need a new place to do it and more $$$.

Thanks for any input you have.
I just had two good interviews this week, one offered me a position today and I'm waiting on the second one :rockon: . I normally don't use a site like monster.com, it's more like a last resort. I've always felt that the best way to getting a job is through someone you know. If you are going to a university or such, it's all about contacts and expanding your social circle. Often times, the university will also hold job fairs or career days... GO TO THEM. That's probably the best way to get to talk to companies and just get your name out there. Bring lots of resumes.

CGE333

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I have gotten jobs off of Monster, but keep in mind:
1. You must have a resume that stands out and grabs their attention
2. For many jobs in a big metro area within 24 hours of the job posting they have 500+ resumes (see # 1)
3. If you are striking out after interviews you may want to brush up on your interview skills and the impression you are creating, close the deal at the end of the interview, send a follow up thank you note
4. Stay on it and stay aggressive- all it takes is for one opportunity to say yes so don't worry about the no's- it is sales after all (in a way)

WestCoaster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate the input. I do need to brush up on the interviewing skills as it's been a few years since I've interviewed and I've felt the last few haven't gone that well. As for brushing up on them, would you recommend role playing with a friend who can act as an employer. I know of no other way where I could practice these skills.

Good advice on Monster.com, too, I believe it's free to put the resume on there, so nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Thanks again for the input, I have a goal of September to get a new job. If I don't, I won't be a happy man.

So Many Ways

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I haven't posted here in a while.

I got a new job around 3 months ago and I put my resume up on monster, careerbuilder, and yahoo hotjobs.

I know my career is a little different than yours, as I work in IT, but you may way to talk to a few recruiters if those exist in your field. I got my current job through a recruiter.

The only downside to that is that many recruiters are fast talking and they will blow a lot of smoke up your ass so be wary. it's a good resource nonetheless.

Another thing that helped me was the ability to show and prove. If there is some way for you to demonstrate your ability during the interview, do it. Also, always ask for the sale.

Anyway, good luck with your search.

T Dog

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For interview practice, get the book, 101 Best Answers to the Toughest Interview Questions. I think it's by Ron Fry?

You will blow your interview out of the water.