Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Anybody ever injure their neck doing squats?

darkhorse

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anybody here has ever injured their neck doing squats. I did last week and it hurts just as much now (like a b*tch) as it did a week ago. I guess I must have had the barbell directly on my spine. I've been waiting for it to heal, but it doesn't look like it's going to do that on its own, or it's going to do it very slowly. My guess is that I fukked up one of my spinal disks and have a pinched nerve. I'm probably going to have to go to the doctor for this one, but I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with this type of thing (what the problem was, how long it took to heal, any lasting problems, ways to avoid it, etc).

Phrozen

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Its very likely that you pinched or slipped a disc, or cracked a vertebrae. As you may not realize (since you waited a week already) this can lead to very severe problems so take things easy and go see a doctor before you do ANY more physical or active things.

darkhorse

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by wheelin&dealin
You don't rest the bar on your neck. You rest it on the top of your back below your traps.
Yeah, I know. That's where I had the bar. I know because I still have a bruise on my back from where it was. Still, the neck is taking the brunt of the punishment. I have a bony back. I'm curious if not having a lot of padding there was a factor, or it was purely a case of poor execution.

darkhorse

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Phrozen
Its very likely that you pinched or slipped a disc, or cracked a vertebrae. As you may not realize (since you waited a week already) this can lead to very severe problems so take things easy and go see a doctor before you do ANY more physical or active things.
Thanks for the good advice. I realize that I should have gone to a doctor already. I tend to be the type that will go to a doctor only under one of two conditions:

1) I am dying, or
2) I am dead

I may have to make an exception in this case.

Drex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yea get yourself a bar pad man. They are a styrophome(sp?)/plastic type pad that wraps around the bar then velcrows tight. The exact same padding that is used on a childs bike.

prosemont

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A bar pad is for puzzies. Put the bar where w&d says,
AND the whole time your chin should be held up high.
That should prevent the injury next time.

Drex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by prosemont
A bar pad is for puzzies. Put the bar where w&d says,
AND the whole time your chin should be held up high.
That should prevent the injury next time.
Bullsh*t! When you have 3 45lb plates on each end of the bar I dont care how big your back is, you are going to get blood marks where the bar was. I prefer to go without the marks, thanks.

wheelin&dealin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Drex
Bullsh*t! When you have 3 45lb plates on each end of the bar I dont care how big your back is, you are going to get blood marks where the bar was. I prefer to go without the marks, thanks.
You have more control without a pad.

The marks on my back are minimal.

Soshyopathe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't care how much you squat, the heavyweight powerlifters do NOT use any padding. Allow the weight to become one with you, you have better control and power. Until you get the proper traps and rear delts though, you may need the padding.

darkhorse

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the continued input. I have a doctor appointment tomorrow so I guess I'll find out how much damage I did.

I was looking around the internet for bar pads, and I also found this device:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/adfit/manta.html

It looks like it has some pretty solid endorsements from known names. Anybody here have any experience with it?