Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Any martial artists out there? What martial art is good for protection?

Ohso-Phresh

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Can't get them to play. What are they?
Youtube vids of women in street fights both in aikido and the other looks a lot like tae kwon do and karate but they are security cam footage.
Just search YouTube on women street fight compilations or get your browser up to date.

TL;DR super impressive fighting skills of Asian and black women.

Last edited:

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Snap kick to the nuts is the most practical tkd move. It falls in line with the best street fighting advice being to kick the other guy in the crotch and run away. If anyone uses pepper spray, you had better have running shoes on and gtfo of there. The effects don't last all that long and people get super p!ssed off about being sprayed.

Music_czar

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I can sniff out a fraud. There was once a mod on here who claimed to be a lawyer, which I could see right through immediately, because I know something about that subject. It's the same with martial arts. I can see your ignorance. And there's nothing wrong with ignorance, until you start giving advice, and telling people to do stupid sh!t that gets them hurt, like full contact sparring. You can probably find a YouTube video of a young Mike Tyson whooping someone's ass in practice, but other than extreme exceptions like that, only morons train full contact, because you just get hurt and then can't fight. Going 100% is for the ring or cage only.
Yea we remember those arguments, that dude schooled you plenty of times was fun to read.

And MMA fighters don’t talk ****? That’s pretty much all they do right before they get into a ring..

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yea we remember those arguments, that dude schooled you plenty of times was fun to read.

And MMA fighters don’t talk ****? That’s pretty much all they do right before they get into a ring..
Oh, you remember Brad? You can't fake going to law school to someone who has been through law school.

Whatever sh!t talking you think you see is orchestrated pro wrestling style drama to entertain children and other fans of low intellect such as yourself.

Music_czar

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh, you remember Brad? You can't fake going to law school to someone who has been through law school.

Whatever sh!t talking you think you see is orchestrated pro wrestling style drama to entertain children and other fans of low intellect such as yourself.
Dude you’re embarrassing yourself.. again. Brad was a great poster here was well respected and you even managed to argue with him all the time despite his comments always being positive and good advice.

Stop trying to fight everyone here, it’s just the internet man. Maybe take a break and go to the gym or something, or find some hobbies other than arguing with people online.

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Didnt read the whole thread so hope I wont repeat anything that has been already said.

I practice MMA and fight at amateur level (minor challenges nothing serious) so first of all I wanted to say that even before the technical skills, what a guy needs to improve his chances of walking away unharmed is to avoid the confrontation to begin with.

If thats not possible technical skills are gonna help as long as you are in great shape in terms of mental sharpness, stamina and strenght.

Forget about that kung fu stuff you see in jackie chan movies, big strong guys have an edge and no matter how good your tech is, you aint gonna knock a guy down if you are 50kg skinny girly boy...same thing if you thrown a couple of punches and run out of breath.

Now regarding the techniques, clearly as someone said early striking is the best option since it allows you keep your distance and be effective while any non trained opponent wont be as good in terms of hitting and dodging hits, many will even throw themselves at you rugby style.

Few well inflicted punches are enough to disable your opponent or simply push him to stop the confrontation, in that case allow the guy to save his ego and make it seems like its a shared decision.

If you happen to get chest to chest then you need to wrestle and control the way you will fall, needless to say you want to stay up and want him to be down...that way you can strike, grapple or simply stand up and run away.

If you are unlucky enough to have a fist fight with someone who knows some boxing or worse yet he does better that you do then great wrestling skills can save you, again once on the ground he will panic and possibly will be willing to cease fighting.

I had fights with guys coming from many years of boxing that were clearly faster then me and whos fists and space control were impressive compared to mine...the reason why I didnt get knocked down was simply that my wrestling and ground&pound skills are good enough while other times I saw great wrestlers being struck from distance only to have their opponent escape from any of their take down attempt.

In my experience techniques, mental sharpness and physical shape are 3 sides of a triangle where they should all present for your own safety.

Ps. no sport does nteach illegal moves yet expect them to happen in a street fight.

The best skills in the world wont help if you are too scared to move or have no gas to fight.

So learn and practice, better yet have minor fights to test your nerves and measure your limits.

HankHill

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I did Krav Maga for about 6 mos, I learned a lot of practical things that I didn't know before. Like the rotation of the hips to throw a strike. Protecting your body from strikes. Using your palm instead of fists to strike, targeting key areas on the opponent's body to strike and ending the fight as quickly as possible. Several police officers were in the black belt session immediately after mine and I sometimes stayed to watch them. After which I really got a sense of how miniscule I was both in terms of agility and their size, a lot of their training was also on disarming weapons. If I'm up against a weak opponent like in the video earlier where the black dude gets knocked down several times, I'll walk away a hero. But if I run into some of these black belt guys that look like The Rock and can land 6 strikes before you realize what just happened then I'm toast. I carry a pepper spray and/or a stun gun at night even though I live in a fairly safe area.

BTW, a lot of police depts around here train in BJJ which is all ground work, KravMaga is the opposite as they teach you how not to end up on the ground to begin with. I think the bottomline is whatever you choose is better than nothing but to be proficient at it takes years, however, everyone should learn how to defend against the garden variety punches and also how to strike.

GoodOne123

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd reccomend boxing. Then meybe some grappling martial art like bjj if you have the time.

Instead of boxing, you could do a style that incorporates kicking, like kickboxing or muai thai. Just a word of caution is that doing lots of kicking over the years has some wear and tear on your knees/hips. I did a few years of karate and taekwondo in my teens, but now at 25 I do feel it in my knees. Not to mention trying to land a kick in a real fight is pretty risky.

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The original post was about protecting oneself and others. While martial arts skills aren’t bad to have, relying on them to get you out of a dangerous situation is stupid and could easily get you killed.

If you are in a situation where your life is truly in danger, chances are that a) you are facing more than one opponent and b) your opponent or opponents are armed with weapons. Trying to Chuck Norris your way out of that situation is not going to end well.

If you can legally arm yourself, do so. If you live in the US, get a concealed carry permit and learn how to shoot. And of course, avoid getting in dangerous situations as much as possible in the first place.

HankHill

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't have a CCW permit but do own and am fairly decent with a handgun. However, it's really for home defense, if someone breaks into my house especially with a weapon I'm pulling the trigger. However, on the streets I don't want to get into a gun fight it's a sure recipe for a disaster, many people carry and even those who legally do will shoot (as is taught in CCW training) if you pull a gun on them. If I recall per CCW training one can't brandish the weapon either. So unless you are willing to shoot and kill a gun will only get your killed faster. Most parking lot altercations are resolved with a cooler head and checking egos before getting out of the car (it's hard and I've had my share of close calls). However, there are situations where someone's drunk, or just some young punks determined to show off- a swift strike or two while maintaining distance is all you need to end that. However, even then with all the video cameras around the way you approach it you can't be seen as the aggressor or the court will not see it as self defense. I'm not an expert just my opinion, but have taken self defense and gun classes.

dude99

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This. And strait up boxing
Boxing is good to know so you can handle yourself on your feet, but a lot of fights wind up on the ground. It is good to know how to defend yourself should you wind up on the ground too. All martial arts have their strengths and weaknesses.

I think boxing is really important part of fighting. But learning how to attack and defend yourself on the ground can be valuable too. Jujitsu or judo or wrestling can help in that as well.

For offence the most valuable lesson to learn in any martial art. "Control the head, you control the body."
For defense, "the best defense is don't be there."

Kaido

Don Juan
Reaction score
Boxing would be your best bet, but you can only get good at it and be able to apply it in real life after a ton of full contact sparring. Which will take 2-5 years.
And it will be really, really hard.

If you are an adult who doesn't want to **** his head up from getting punched in order just to be able to defend yourself, I believe the best thing you can do is to become a BJJ student for life. If it's one vs one it's the best base and you won't take damage that is bad for your health during training.
Now for a situation where there is you vs many, I would suggest you to train like a 400m sprinter.
Everything else is also bull****. Stuff like various self defense classes, krav maga, traditional martial arts etc are ****in dangerous. They flood your mind with the idea that you can do it in real life, you believe it, you try it, then you get cut by a knife and you die.
So stay away from those.
Hope it helps.

Stoic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hands down - Regular sparring in boxing or jiu jitsu would prepare you better for self defense than many of the others.

ragnarP

Don Juan
Reaction score
Long thread so I will keep it short and concise.

I've trained kickboxing in my teenage years/early twenties. From my experience I know this:
(Apart from the obvious benefits like fitness and self defence.)

Great for self respect and a sense of belonging to a tribe.

Once you start identifying with being a martial artist it gives you an extra side to your personality.

A man who can handle a fight gets more respect from women and men alike.

You won't get involved in fights outside since you will feel comfortable with conflict (a dog who can bite generally doesn't have to).

Most effective martial art standing up is Muay Thai (second choice kickboxing), on the ground is Brazilian Jujitsu.

Last edited:

RickTheToad

Reaction score
Long thread so I will keep it short and concise.

I've trained kickboxing in my teenage years/early twenties. From my experience I know this:
(Apart from the obvious benefits like fitness and self defence.)

Great for self respect and a sense of belonging to a tribe.

Once you start identifying with being a martial artist it gives you an extra side to your personality.

A man who can handle a fight gets more respect from women and men alike.

You won't get involved in fights outside since you will feel comfortable with conflict (a dog who can bite generally doesn't have to).

Most effective martial art standing up is Muay tie (second choice kickboxing), on the ground is Brazilian Jujitsu.
A person who is trained in upright and on the ground defense is the best option. It's why I recommend Jujitsu and Muay Thai. No disrespect to Krav Magogo, but it doesn't hold a candle to a person who's trained in both Jujitsu and Muay Thai. When I was in the Air Force, we had sparing sessions with the Israeli's. Great people, tough as nails, but their hand to hand training cannot touch Jujitsu and Muay Thai.

ragnarP

Don Juan
Reaction score
A person who is trained in upright and on the ground defense is the best option. It's why I recommend Jujitsu and Muay Thai. No disrespect to Krav Magogo, but it doesn't hold a candle to a person who's trained in both Jujitsu and Muay Thai. When I was in the Air Force, we had sparing sessions with the Israeli's. Great people, tough as nails, but their hand to hand training cannot touch Jujitsu and Muay Thai.
There is a reason why these two fighting styles are the most successful in mma right now.

DEEZEDBRAH

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I retained a green belt from taekwondo years ago back in highschool. I'm looking to get back in but there is so many now to choose from. I want to be a black belt but also now my city teaches brazilian jiu jitsu. Although I have no knowledge of ground defense it wouldnt be a bad thing to have in my tool shed. Which martial art out there is the best . What is good to invest money in. I really want to learn to protect myself and loved ones.
there's tons but I think mma is the route. seek competence in a art. stick with it.