Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Any martial artists out there? What martial art is good for protection?

forcerecon01

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I retained a green belt from taekwondo years ago back in highschool. I'm looking to get back in but there is so many now to choose from. I want to be a black belt but also now my city teaches brazilian jiu jitsu. Although I have no knowledge of ground defense it wouldnt be a bad thing to have in my tool shed. Which martial art out there is the best . What is good to invest money in. I really want to learn to protect myself and loved ones.

wifehunter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think maybe the U.S. Army trained us recruits in Judo....we learned how to flip our opponent....

Basically, using your opponents weight against them.

I actually used this is real life, when someone tried to rob me at a bus stop. I made them sorry they got out of bed that day. :)

forcerecon01

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think maybe the U.S. Army trained us recruits in Judo....we learned how to flip our opponent....

Basically, using your opponents weight against them.

I actually used this is real life, when someone tried to rob me at a bus stop. I made them sorry they got out of bed that day. :)
nice my brother. yes Judo is japanese . cool art

Ohso-Phresh

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I retained a green belt from taekwondo years ago back in highschool. I'm looking to get back in but there is so many now to choose from. I want to be a black belt but also now my city teaches brazilian jiu jitsu. Although I have no knowledge of ground defense it wouldnt be a bad thing to have in my tool shed. Which martial art out there is the best . What is good to invest money in. I really want to learn to protect myself and loved ones.

Real training in the Martial Arts starts at Black Belt.

All have their strength’s and weaknesses.

It’s also a lifestyle as if you want to get good which will take training 3x/wk min.

To try to teach yourself, although commendable, will not have you progress as quickly as taking classes, and/or private instruction.

First, go around to the different offerings in your area, local colleges/universities usually have something and find one that has a vibe/energy that you like. This is key in that you will make friendships as you train and it will reinforce training when you don’t feel like it.
Once you picked one, train only in that until you get your black belt. From here you will have a deeper understanding of what will be of benefit and the not so much.

The harder styles of martial arts, one can get proficient enough for general self-defense in about 3-6 months.

As for boxing, it’s also what a MMA fighter would learn to train in. The advantage of martial arts vs boxing off the gate is that form is more emphasized.

I can’t speak to boxing off the gate since it wasn’t my path.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Basically you need a grappling art and a striking art. Grappling can be bjj, wrestling, or other forms of wrestling like sambo. Popular striking arts are boxing and kickboxing. The latter has two styles, k1 amd muay thai. My mma trainer's background was in japanese jiu jitsu.

Whatever art you choose, the only way to really judge the competence of the instruction is to look at the students and see if they are competing and winning. That is the problem with more abstract arts like krav maga. There's no tournament of eye gouging and crotch kicking, so without a competition there is no way to measure skill.

forcerecon01

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Real training in the Martial Arts starts at Black Belt.

All have their strength’s and weaknesses.

It’s also a lifestyle as if you want to get good which will take training 3x/wk min.

To try to teach yourself, although commendable, will not have you progress as quickly as taking classes, and/or private instruction.

First, go around to the different offerings in your area, local colleges/universities usually have something and find one that has a vibe/energy that you like. This is key in that you will make friendships as you train and it will reinforce training when you don’t feel like it.
Once you picked one, train only in that until you get your black belt. From here you will have a deeper understanding of what will be of benefit and the not so much.

The harder styles of martial arts, one can get proficient enough for general self-defense in about 3-6 months.

As for boxing, it’s also what a MMA fighter would learn to train in. The advantage of martial arts vs boxing off the gate is that form is more emphasized.

I can’t speak to boxing off the gate since it wasn’t my path.
thanks for the information. good advice

forcerecon01

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Basically you need a grappling art and a striking art. Grappling can be bjj, wrestling, or other forms of wrestling like sambo. Popular striking arts are boxing and kickboxing. The latter has two styles, k1 amd muay thai. My mma trainer's background was in japanese jiu jitsu.

Whatever art you choose, the only way to really judge the competence of the instruction is to look at the students and see if they are competing and winning. That is the problem with more abstract arts like krav maga. There's no tournament of eye gouging and crotch kicking, so without a competition there is no way to measure skill.
good advice

forcerecon01

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to be in the military and the only self defense I know involves pepper spray, knives, or guns.

Even if you take a self defense class, nobody is going to teach you hand to hand combat or even advise.

Just recently I know a guy who got into a tussle with a stranger and I stabbed as he was “grappling” with him.

If you got someone in an armbar, you think they will hesitate to grab that piece of glass and poke you I. The eye with it? Who are you to them. Every ego is out for themselves.

I’ve been in enough street fights and seen enough street fights gone wrong to ever advise anyone to get into hand to hand combat with a complete stranger.

If you take actual self defense classes, the first thing they will tell you is to get a pepper spray. Even better if you could carry. Because it’s based on reality and not what you see in mma/kill bill movies.

Please don’t be one of those who think you are tough/safe just because you know the five finger technique.
true advice

Ohso-Phresh

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I think learning BJJ will be really helpful in a street fight.
Wrist locks are great way to diffuse before it gets that far. If it gets to squaring off with someone, better to walk away. Otherwise it’s just ego.

Unless it’s life threatening.

Infern0

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've done boxing, Muay Thai and BJJ and worked as a bouncer for a few years

Any martial art is going to have its use but for protection on the street I suggest to focus on boxing, let me explain why

In any dangerous street fight situation the idea is to end the confrontation as quickly and as brutally as possible, a straight right hand to the jaw is always going to be that. Additionally footwork and distance control are vital.

BJJ is great for a secondary skill in case you do end up in a grappling situation but you really want to avoid that and you ideally NEVER want to end up on the floor in a street situation.

Muay Thai and kicking arts are great in theory but not when you are wearing jeans.

For practical application boxing can't be beat for self defence.

StacksHitEmUp

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Any combination of kickboxing/boxing/muay thai and BJJ/wrestling/sambo. You want to be comfortable wherever you are when it comes to fighting. BJJ might seem useless because you don't want to be triangle choking someone from your back on the street, but if the fight goes to the ground atleast you have something in your arsenal to either get up, sweep or slap on a submission.

xplt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Take a look at Ving Tsun (not the typical self-defense style Wing Chun).
It's a form of Kung Fu, developed for maximal effect with minimal effort.
Find a school who teaches Ving Tsun in combination with sparring

xplt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Unless sparring is full contact, pass.
Sure. Full contact is useless for learning purposes. You'll lose motivation fast.
But without sparring you'll never learn to fight.

Ohso-Phresh

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Learning to fly without full contact competition is like learning to fly on a flight simulator. It'll only get you so far.
Flying a plane from the get-go gets you dead.

There’s a natural and orderly progression in any intentional development.

A child learns to crawl, before walking, walking before jogging, jogging before competitive sprints.