Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Any guitar players out there

tactic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
teach me

whistler

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by thefonz
You don't realize why most people think Jimmy Page is the best ever until you pick up a guitar and try to play some of his pieces. Brillant man that Jimmy. That's the Way is probably the most underated Zepplin song out there......even though the best parts are done on the mandarin by John Paul Jones, absolutely beautiful.
oh yes, the mandarin....

one of my favorite instruments of the 1970's

;)

yeah, page kicks serious fvcking arse

insomniac

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by thefonz
You don't realize why most people think Jimmy Page is the best ever until you pick up a guitar and try to play some of his pieces. Brillant man that Jimmy. That's the Way is probably the most underated Zepplin song out there......even though the best parts are done on the mandarin by John Paul Jones, absolutely beautiful.
I'll second that. Jimmy Page has always been my idol. Still plan on getting a Les Paul someday just because of him. If you listen to some live performances, you'll see he can be sloppy and make a lot of mistakes, but what's in his playing outshines all the technically great guitarists out there in my opinion.

I bought the two DVD set that came out two years ago. Great stuff if you haven't seen it, and some live performances of Going to California and That's the Way on it. I have a mandolin too, but so far have only learned Battle of Evermore.

Gus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes, I meant "Is There Anybody Out There"...it's a small classical piece. Althought Comfortably Numb isn't hard at all (learned it within the first couple months...the timing is the hardest part).

Try mxTabs .

Also, here's a good guitar website: http://www.cyberfret.com

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What Green Day has an incredible talent for, is writing insanely catchy songs. That's their forte, rather than trying to write technically crazy stuff, because if they did that, they pretty much wouldn't be Green Day. I'm not sick of any of their work; no matter how many years it's been out it gets stuck in my head just as easily.

WhitePimp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
John Petrucci of DREAM THEATER

You will never look at a guitar the same way again. This guy can literally do anything on a guitar. Truly inspirational

The Bad Ass Canadian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you listen to some live performances, you'll see he can be sloppy and make a lot of mistakes, but what's in his playing outshines all the technically great guitarists out there in my opinion.
I always felt Page was a very sloppy player. Hendrix was the same. These guys were more innovators then guitar masters.

The cool thing about Page was how he would make a mistake, then play it 3 times in a row and turn it into a lick.. hahaha how's that for fooling the audience?

The key to playing great guitar is getting both left and right hands moving in sync with each other. Getting the fretting hand and the picking hand to hit the notes accurately. That takes alot of practice but once you got it down, the rest comes easy.

Songs like Over The Hills aren't all that difficult. They have alot of pull offs and hammer-ons, which are kinda guitar playing "parlor tricks" . They're easy to do and require little skill ( not saying that Page isn't skilled), and many guitarists base they're style around that kind of legato playing. Pull-offs and hammer-ons sound really fluid and slick and you can play stuff that would otherwise be impossible to pick.

Check out Alex Skolnick of Testament for a really great legatto style. His chops are impeccable and he sounds rediculously smooth.

Of course, we have Pettrucci of Dream Theater... this guy is insane. I have his instructional dvd, and it is retarded.

crowes22

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by The Bad Ass Canadian
I always felt Page was a very sloppy player. Hendrix was the same. These guys were more innovators then guitar masters.

The cool thing about Page was how he would make a mistake, then play it 3 times in a row and turn it into a lick.. hahaha how's that for fooling the audience?
I agree some of his stuff is sloppy, but still sounds good. Some of it is real crisp though, like Bron-y-aur. Rain Song too. That guy is such a damn genius, and knows it all came from the American south, and gives nods to the blues. What a creative guy. His musical instincts astonish me, still, and always will. I'll just never tire of Zeppelin.

Bad Ass, what do you do? Session work/teach/gigs?

What kind of axes do you have?

Elimidate

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Acoustic tunes to sing and play when you decide to take her back to your pad:

Jack Johnson - Sitting, waiting, wishing

Clapton - Tears in Heaven

Robbie Williams - Angles

Howie Day - Collide

I fully guarantee all of the above are official acoustic "panty removers!"

Trust me on this one Gentleman! :)

Elimidate

The Bad Ass Canadian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by crowes22
I agree some of his stuff is sloppy, but still sounds good. Some of it is real crisp though, like Bron-y-aur. Rain Song too. That guy is such a damn genius, and knows it all came from the American south, and gives nods to the blues. What a creative guy. His musical instincts astonish me, still, and always will. I'll just never tire of Zeppelin.

Bad Ass, what do you do? Session work/teach/gigs?

What kind of axes do you have?
I front a rock band. We tour quite a bit. We're under an agency and have been a pretty big up-and-comer on Canada's East Coast, thia past year.

I'm a singer/songwriter/guitarist/producer

Between gigging, recording my own songs and producing other artists in my studio, I keep pretty busy. (I do have another job, to help sustain myself. It's seasonal so I only work a few months out of the year)

Been getting into teaching guitar, as well (I know enough, I'm just not into spending 4 days a week with students..It's more a private one-on-one thing, and I only have a few people I'm currently teaching)..... In this buisness, you need to diversify. It's rare that any artist can sustain himself on just one thing. Only a handful of artists make real money in music.

I play PRS and Gibson . I also have a Taylor acoustic which I love. 615 CE model... very nice

Got a nice studio with some pretty decent gear, too. I love what I do and I take it very seriously.

diceman

Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, for a beginner guitarist, just play songs from bands you like.

The first song i ever learned to play was 'Karma Police' by Radiohead, & the feeling i got from producing the same music as one of the greatest bands of all time is unparrelled. I was hooked on the guitar after that.

If you want popular stuff to play around crowds of people, then you can't go wrong with the Beatles. Most of their stuff is pretty basic, but everyone knows them, plus they're just great songs.

Also, learning one of the latest hits in the charts will make you seem like a cool guy. Playing a pop or RnB song on a acustic not only gives it a new dimension, but shows a diversity & creativity that most snotty, elitist guitar players ignore.

jag

Don Juan
Reaction score
get this song by
tuck andersson- man in the mirror

TRUSTTTT MEE WIHT URRR LFIEEEEE
I SWEARRR TO EVERYTHING THAT IMPT. TO ME.....ULL LOVE ITTTTTTT i know soem are lazy..soem wil b elike....nahh..BUT TRUST ME>>>U HAVE TO GET THIS SONGGGG!!!

Eric Clapton

Don Juan
Reaction score
Bad Ass is right, listen to the guys that know their shyt.

It's a mandolin, not a damn mandarin, there is no such thing to my knowledge. Sounds like a fruit to me.

The Bad Ass Canadian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Want a Panty remover song?

Learn "Comfortable" by John Mayer

I played that once, at an open mic, of all things, and literally got molested by 7 ridiculously hot college chicks. It was hillarious!!!

They even wanted to take pictures with me, after i was done lol.... I wasn't single at the time, or I woulda scored me a phone #.

There are alot of great songs out there. Don't just learn what you think you should. Play stuff you really enjoy. A musician who is passionate about what he does will gain more respect then the guy who pulls out all the common "crowd pleasers".... It's really nice to be able do both, but writing your own stuff is a much higher feeling of accomplishment. It goes beyond learning an instrument.