Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Any guitar players out there

Baseball05

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey whats up. I just started guitar a little while back. I've got my chords down and some basic skills. Now I'm ready to learn some songs, possibly to play for some chicks. My goal for end of year is to play Over the Hills and Far Away by Led Zeppelin. What are some beginner songs that I could play for some chicks when they come over. I have an acoustic, so songs meant for the acoustic would be great. Thanks in advance :woo:

DogFashionDisco

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been playing the acoustic guitar for like 2 months, still learning and I'm far from kicking ass at it. I'm hoping to get an electric pretty soon. A good song I like to play is called Good Riddance by Green Day. It's not really a song for chicks, but it sounds cool and it's easy to learn.

The Bad Ass Canadian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I play proffesionally.

I also teach privately, when I'm not on the road.

I'm 26 and have been playing guitar for 14 years.

Guitar playing is cool because you can get into it at many levels. It's realy nice to be able to pick up an acoustic guitar at a party and crank out some tunes for everyone to sing along to. That's where everyone should learn a few common songs. You'd be surprised how great a party can become, when you all start singing along to a guitar.

You can also get so into it that it consumes your entire life... like mine

Any questions, I'm glad to help

Gus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd
Good Riddance by Green Day
Nothing Else Matters by Metallica (this one's fingerpicked)

any Train song
If you can sing, then Butterfly by Weezer is a cool, relaxing song.
Is There Anybody Out There by Pink Floyd (easier if fingerpicked)
Drive by Incubus
Island in the Sun by Weezer
My Own Prison and What's This Life For by Creed
Alot About Livin (and a Little 'Bout Love) by Alan Jackson

Go to http://www.power-tab.net/ and download that program (it's absolutely free) and then go to http://www.powertabs.net to download tabs for that program.

StrangeButTrue

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Is There Anybody Out There by Pink Floyd
It's called "Comfortably Numb". And are you kidding? The rythm part is easy, but half of it is a crazy solo. And it's nine minutes. And it has heavy distortion. Not for a beginner. Or an acoustic. "Wish You Were Here" is pretty easy though. Except for the solo.

I don't think you'll be able to play "Over the Hills and Far Away" by January, but go ahead and try.

ShizamDaMan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Most anything by Green Day is easy enough. Helps to have the hardware to get tones close to them though.

I really like some of the White Stripes' songs. Stuff like Broken Bricks, Screwdriver, and Black Math can be played and sung successfully on your own.

insomniac

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by StrangeButTrue
It's called "Comfortably Numb". And are you kidding? The rythm part is easy, but half of it is a crazy solo. And it's nine minutes. And it has heavy distortion. Not for a beginner. Or an acoustic. "Wish You Were Here" is pretty easy though. Except for the solo.

I don't think you'll be able to play "Over the Hills and Far Away" by January, but go ahead and try.
I think he means the song a few before Comfortably Numb...the finger-picked classical piece.

If you work on your hammering-on / pulling-off you should be able to figure out "Over the Hills..." in a short time.

Check out Led Zeppelin III. There are a few not too difficult acoustic pieces on there...Gallows Pole, Tangerine. Plus a few in different tunings like That's the Way (I put a transcription of that on the web years ago) and Friends.

Baseball05

Don Juan
Reaction score
What a great community of guitarist. I'm working on Time of Your Life, by Greenday. It's coming along real well. Keep these post coming, awesome thread! :woo:

StrangeButTrue

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I think he means the song a few before Comfortably Numb...the finger-picked classical piece.
You're probably right. My bad.

But "Over the Hills and Far Away" requires more than just hammering on/off. You've also got to have fast fingers, and that can only be developed in time. There are some fast switches in there.

But "Tangerine" should be a good song for a beginner to learn. Basic chords, nice strumming pattern. Go for it.

crowes22

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by ShizamDaMan
Most anything by Green Day is easy enough.
That is because they suck. No talent.

'Over the Hills' is the first song I learned baseball05. I agree w/ the other guy that said check out Zep3. Tangerine and Gallows Pole are easy. I don't know how to play any of the other ones.

Jimmy Page has got to be one of the most complicated fvcking guitarists out there. Also one of the best, if not the best IMO. That guy was just amazing. I saw Jimmy Page and Robert Plant in concert in 98. Outstanding show.

Good luck w/ your guitar playing baseball05. Never buy a Gibson acoustic BTW, they are junk. Their electrics are good, acoustics are crap.

cant think of a user name

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Try "All Along The Watchtower" (Hendrix version). It can sound good on acoustic too even if it's not meant for it.

The lead intro and 1st solo are reasonably easy to pick up if you wanna try that on acoustic (LOL I have tried).

TheRelic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by crowes22
And I suppose the Beatles, and countless other artists emphasising songwriting over technicality also suck - as most of their stuff is easy?

I think not... silly logic :rolleyes:

Green Day have produced some decent stuff, and aren't entirely lacking talent...

Back on topic, anything by John Mayer, Jack Johnson seems to do the trick now... if you get into electric, i'd suggest anything by AC/DC, Bryan Adams, etc.

If you're interested in learning less well known stuff, try "Mood for a Day" by 'Yes', any of Opeths' acoustic stuff, or acoustic renditions of easier classical pieces (ie... spanish romance).

whistler

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Think of any song you like and type:

guitar tab "artist name" "song title"

into google

if anyone can play, let alone NAIL, "over the hills and far away" in your first few weeks, props to ya!

I've been getting into later radiohead lately. hail to the thief has some fantastic riffs. "go to sleep," "2+2=5," and "there there" are an absolute joy to play.

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by whistler
I've been getting into later radiohead lately. hail to the thief has some fantastic riffs. "go to sleep," "2+2=5," and "there there" are an absolute joy to play.
Radiohead is one of my favorites. Latley ive been trying to create my own stuff but its kinda hard. I only know 2 scales, quit a few chords and thats it. I think what ive done is pretty cool but i feel like im at a dead end.

whistler

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by oakraiderz2
Radiohead is one of my favorites. Latley ive been trying to create my own stuff but its kinda hard. I only know 2 scales, quit a few chords and thats it. I think what ive done is pretty cool but i feel like im at a dead end.
I love making up my own sh!t. Remember, it's not an analytic process: Don't think about it. And if you can, try to include vocals with the guitar work. Chances are the vocals will just be repetitive words or nonsense if you just let it flow. If you can, record it. Thing is, for me, the best sounding stuff comes about when I first start jamming, stop thinking and start crooning. Then again, I've been playing for 13 years... maybe I just suck at writing :rolleyes:

My stuff tends to be too busy on the guitar end.

:) oh well.

enjoy. it's probably a close second to sex.

whistler

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by oilers05
Am I the only person who likes Slipknot?
yes

(no, they're ok)

ShizamDaMan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by crowes22
Green Day may not have the most technical guitar work out there, but they have some damn good songs and catchy lyrics. Just because you can fly through a scale or do 1/64th notes at 200BPM doesn't mean your music is good. Listen to a song like Jesus of Suburbia and tell me the lyrics and music don't fit together perfectly.

It's precisely why Green Day is more popular and Yngwie Malmsteen: technical ability does not automatically make a great artist.

thefonz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by insomniac

Check out Led Zeppelin III. There are a few not too difficult acoustic pieces on there...Gallows Pole, Tangerine. Plus a few in different tunings like That's the Way (I put a transcription of that on the web years ago) and Friends.
You don't realize why most people think Jimmy Page is the best ever until you pick up a guitar and try to play some of his pieces. Brillant man that Jimmy. That's the Way is probably the most underated Zepplin song out there......even though the best parts are done on the mandarin by John Paul Jones, absolutely beautiful.