Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

any good excercise tips for boxing defense

Lynx nkaf

Banned
Reaction score
wont be doing any sparring any time soon wanted to know what you do for defense
I want to take boxing proper.

The training that I have taken they taught using forearms and elbows for defense. Always protecting your throat and face.
Always snapping back quick after each of your punches contact. To make each punch as hard as you can. Controlling adrenalin and fast breathing to channel power and to spread out your energy over entire fight.
To recognise when fight is over.

I would like to learn ducking and weaving. Something I haven't practiced yet.

I have practiced getting up off the ground quickly.

Xenom0rph

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude demonstrates a simple head bobbing and weaving can win street fights.

Lynx nkaf

Banned
Reaction score
Dude demonstrates a simple head bobbing and weaving can win street fights.

same dude, fight smart trav, that was good.
"Slip and Dodge, Bob and weave"

That boxer I learned about yesterday, Canalo Alvarez, trains with these strings tied kater-corner and across the top rope of the ring and he ducks and comes up around and under.
His trainer also swats at him with long pool noodles to make him duck and weave.
This wouldall be good to learn, exhaust the hitter by making them miss.

eli77

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
that requires a training partner i jump rope for endurance need help with dodging punches without a partner

Lynx nkaf

Banned
Reaction score
come up to Canada I'll help you and you help me. Gyms are open here.
Otherwise maybe try setting up a string from corner to corner in a room like that youtube training video of alvarez?

eli77

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
looks pretty effective post videos here if you can im in miami

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Shoulder roll
Sidestepping while throwing hooks or shovel hooks
Punching to shoulder to turn opponent

That s for sport. Look up Kali limb destruction. Some you could probably get away with in a match.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bobbing and weaving is about having both hands free to counter. If it's for self defence keep one hand low as you do it in case you have to block a knee. BTW for self defence wing chin chain punching or Kali slapping is better. Both r very simple.

Stoic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Boxer here

It takes time to get the fundamentals right.

Best to take a class where there are boxing instructors with sparring and fights under their belt that can instruct you. Obviously difficult to do right now.

Absent of that, shadow boxing in front of a mirror when just starting out is the best thing you can do.

And while shadow boxing:

1.Hands held high. Hands should never drop for beginners.
2.Constant head movement.
3.Then add foot movement and pivots.

You can youtube all of the above.

You will see videos on YouTube of boxers 'slipping' for defense but this is a little more advanced and should be learned after getting the basics down.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not a boxer these days more of a Kali and Silat guy. Trained straight boxing for a couple of years then muay Thai for another 2.

All good advice above. I d add boxing is about hitting. If u want to train defence in a way that's going to progress you quickly look at:

Add combos. Sometimes u see a jab coming slip outside jab cross. Sometimes u don't. Catch the jab sidestep right as u jab. Sometimes the jab cross is really quick. Catch jab, party cross as u throw cross, left hook.

BTW if you want an unfair advantage Google jeet kune do - non telegraphic punching and progressive indirect attack. Used for attack not counters. Just be religious with your stretching those techniques need a lot of shoulder flexibility.

Always train moving off the line of the attack. if u stand in front of the guy there's no skill the guy with the highest pain threshold wins. Getting hit in the head gives u brain damage. It's proven no debate possible. That's y I moved to martial arts. Less head hunting and wider tactics. If a boxer comes at me I can kick, throw elbows, or hand trap or grapple. If an MMA guy comes it would be limb destructions, eye jabs, hand traps, chain punching, knife hands and Silat grappling (as it's not based on wrestling or Jujitsu).

There u go a year's training ideas in one post.

Last edited:

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sorry OT now. Just so u see there s a lot of ways and it's always the man not the style. My counter to a jab cross could be . Catch jab as I lean back and sidekick the knee. Hand trap on the way in, 3 chain punches to the head - fight over in 2 seconds. If he grabs throw knife hands or elbows to where the shoulder meets bicep or point of the shoulder.

Btw respect the old fighters most of them are worse junkyard dogs than me.

eli77

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
gonna start training with a partner now but will use weighted vests while ducking and gonna start using kali sticks for defense grills