Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

anabolic steroids, does anyone here uses them?

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is an older thread, but it illustrates how divisive and nonsensical the steriod debate is.

Opponents of steroid use are masters of straw man arguments. The like to cite 1 or 2 case studies where someone died 'directly' because of steroids, when that is rarely, if ever, the case.

Steroids are a tool, and they can be a dangerous tool, just like stimulants or other PEDs. Where you see problem cases is with long-term heavy use, improper stacking, concomitant illicit drug use, or preexisting health conditions.

There is a lot I don't like about bodybuilding. Not only are BBers some of the most self-absorbed people on the planet, but the things they put their body through are ridiculous. Stressful dieting, gratuitous AAS use, over-supplementation, and dangerous cutting practices really shave years of someone's life expectancy. Not to say all BBers live this way, but there is so much "monkey-see, monkey-do" in bodybuilding that a lot of young guys get lead astray by these so-called experts, and totally screw up their body's homeostasis.

As noted by some of the posters in this thread, there are many guys who have used moderate doses of steroids for 10, 20, even 30 years. Sensible steroid use in healthy ADULTS can be relatively safe, but as with any drug there are risks. It is ultimately a very personal decision and the costs should be weighed seriously.

A great documentary covering the whole spectrum of steroid opinion is "Bigger Faster Stronger" by Chris Bell.

white sox bill

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Colossus said:
This is an older thread, but it illustrates how divisive and nonsensical the steriod debate is.

Opponents of steroid use are masters of straw man arguments. The like to cite 1 or 2 case studies where someone died 'directly' because of steroids, when that is rarely, if ever, the case.

Steroids are a tool, and they can be a dangerous tool, just like stimulants or other PEDs. Where you see problem cases is with long-term heavy use, improper stacking, concomitant illicit drug use, or preexisting health conditions.

There is a lot I don't like about bodybuilding. Not only are BBers some of the most self-absorbed people on the planet, but the things they put their body through are ridiculous. Stressful dieting, gratuitous AAS use, over-supplementation, and dangerous cutting practices really shave years of someone's life expectancy. Not to say all BBers live this way, but there is so much "monkey-see, monkey-do" in bodybuilding that a lot of young guys get lead astray by these so-called experts, and totally screw up their body's homeostasis.

As noted by some of the posters in this thread, there are many guys who have used moderate doses of steroids for 10, 20, even 30 years. Sensible steroid use in healthy ADULTS can be relatively safe, but as with any drug there are risks. It is ultimately a very personal decision and the costs should be weighed seriously.

A great documentary covering the whole spectrum of steroid opinion is "Bigger Faster Stronger" by Chris Bell.
Good points. I have neither the desire nor the time to debate this issue. I will be the first here to say I'm not saying I'm right. Just posting my opinion. If someone wants to remain drug free, great. I wish the best for you. To the poster who is natural and looks like a pro, then thats great too. Imagine what you would look like if you did drug. On top of winning Mr O and becoming wealthy and famous.

Whether or not you are pro or con, I think we call agree the US Goverment once again has spun itself yet another topic.

blinkwatt101

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You can overdose on Vitamin C,which can lead to a heart attack. Too much water can drown you. It's only as dangerous as it's user.

DJeasy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Chronically high concentration of testosterone is correlated with increased heart disease via high cholesterol and it's related ensuing effects, as well as depressed immune function. Force the body to overdivert its attention to specific anabolic processes (like muscle synthesis) and it pays less attention to other ones. This seems to occur whether someone naturally has higher testosterone amounts or supplements with AAS. Like supplementation with any substance that has an extreme effect, it comes with risks. It's for you to decide how much AAS are worth to you and whether you find the cons acceptable.

Too much testosterone will increase your levels of estrogen via conversion through the aromatase enzyme. This will change your fat distribution to be more feminine--more fat on thighs, boobs, butt, etc.--as well as other hormonal effects. Once new fat cells are created, such as when they split, they remain until you die (or undergo liposuction). The creation of new fat cells is a constant process throughout life, though each fat cell need not necessarily be full (they just indirectly influence fat distribution). AAS users seem to combat this by cycling, using aromatase inhibitors, and/or staying at low body fat levels (because fat cells are also a source of aromatase).

Testosterone obviously affects muscle growth--too much too fast can lead to injury. Tendons do the direct bone pulling and they are not muscle. Connective tissue also grows considerably slower than muscle. Rapid muscle growth without corresponding connective tissue growth means you increase the likelihood of injuries, such as pulling tendons right off the bone. AAS users seem to combat by taking growth hormone. GH overuse is visibally obvious in changes to other connective tissues (i.e. GH 6-pack or nose/ear changes).

AAS overuse is also visibly evident. It is uncommon to see people working out certain muscles such as the neck or head, and yet these muscles also increase in size with high amounts of testosterone. Natural bodybuilders look like a collection of different body parts put together; pro bodybuilders have a sort of all-around inflated look.

AAS also create "temporary" muscles. Muscle fibers are gigantic cells with many many nuclei in each that govern subdomains of the cell. Maintaining muscle mass means that the rate of muscle synthesis must be greater than or equal to the rate of decay. Testosterone doesn't have any special effect in stimulating muscle stem cell proliferation (and their consequent fusing into muscle fibers to donate additional nuclei). It primarily increases net, short-term muscle synthesis. Notice that those who rapidly get big through steroids also rapidly get smaller once they stop. Those who built their muscle mass slowly experience a much slower rate of decay. Muscle fiber nuclei density appears to be an important basis of the "muscle memory" that allows someone coming back from a layoff to increase muscle mass at an apparently unnatural rate--they have more cellular machinery in which to synthesize muscle.

The pros of AAS usage are obvious so I thought I'd focus on the cons instead. Some of the cons are from rampant overuse; other cons will still be there if you use with lower dosages (in which case they simply manifest slower).

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
DJeasy said:
AAS also create "temporary" muscles. Muscle fibers are gigantic cells with many many nuclei in each that govern subdomains of the cell. Maintaining muscle mass means that the rate of muscle synthesis must be greater than or equal to the rate of decay. Testosterone doesn't have any special effect in stimulating muscle stem cell proliferation (and their consequent fusing into muscle fibers to donate additional nuclei). It primarily increases net, short-term muscle synthesis. Notice that those who rapidly get big through steroids also rapidly get smaller once they stop. Those who built their muscle mass slowly experience a much slower rate of decay. Muscle fiber nuclei density appears to be an important basis of the "muscle memory" that allows someone coming back from a layoff to increase muscle mass at an apparently unnatural rate--they have more cellular machinery in which to synthesize muscle.
Great post. To corroborate:

Fiber hyperplasia (the development of new muscle fibers) and fiber hypertrophy (the growth of existing muscle fibers) are 2 different phenomena. It's important to note that fiber hyperplasia is a dubiously substantiated phenomenon in humans, at best. There is very little evidence that this even occurs in humans, and even less regarding what, if anything, may induce hyperplasia.

As DJeasy stated, if you make rapid gains from using AAS, it is highly unlikely you will keep all of those gains. You simply do not have the cellular horsepower to maintain that level of muscular development, so your rate of muscle catabolism will exceed that of muscle maintenance. The best way to ensure you keep as much of your gains as possible is to use modest doses of the right drugs, and keep them in short cycles. Over time this will have an aggregate effect, much like earning $10.00, losing $5.00 to tax, then taking a break and earning $10.00 again.

My exercise physiology professor in college told us one thing about steroids: They work.

But, there is a cost, as with any drug. Any drug that has ever existed has a risk and a benefit. Long term steroid use can permanently mess up your HPTA (hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis), the cooperative of glands that regulate your endocrine function. That is a serious risk. Oral steroids are also linked to hepatic dysfunction and adenomas, a type of tumor. There is also a condition called hypogonadism, a condition where your testes are permanently atrophied and do not function normally. You would need drug treatment likely for the rest of your life.

Steroids were created for medical deficiencies, not for use in normal healthy males. That does not mean they cant be used with relatively low risk by healthy males, but the problem with steroids is that once someone has experienced that level of achievement and development, it is very hard, if not impossible, to go back.

white sox bill

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Actually good points by all concerning Pro and Con. I use them despite the risks, however I also drink sparingly, don't smoke, do Cardio to keep any heart damage minimal, eat low fat, high fiber foods and generally lead a very healthy lifestyle. Guaranteed it will ward off any problems? Of course not.

Its like spokes of a wheel, you can still ride right along if your missing ONE or TWO spokes, but any more than that gets risky