evol--don't worry about it so much. Just follow some of the general guidelines you see here. You know what topics to stay away from -- politics, death, and religion for example, are topics that are generally a real drag.
When I first get to know a woman, I always keep it light (see above) and positive, but maybe a little unpredictable while asking her the standard questions to get to know her.
Really studying is a perfect atmosphere for sparking attraction, especially if you enjoy (and are good at) the subject. You can show her how enthusiastic about the stuff you are--and believe me, that has a **huge effect on her perception of you. Just be honest and totally non-arrogant about it. I happen to be good at math---which (believe it or not) is very attractive to women if you present yourself in the right way.
Now that you have an idea of where you should come from, you should be fine.
btw--if you haven't seen the movie "The Tao of Steve" rent it. if nothing else, it's a cool movie.